“Exceptional, even by Four Seasons standards”

Carmelo Resort & Spa, the Unbound Collection by Hyatt
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Carmelo
Morro Bay, CA
“Exceptional, even by Four Seasons standards”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We're admitted Four Seasons addicts, having stayed in more than 20 around the world over the past couple years. The Carmelo resort ranks right up there with the best, and stands alone in that it's a bit different - a vineyard, forest setting but on a river bank, etc. Because of that it actually felt more relaxing than other Four Seasons resorts, and that's a tough thing to pull off. From the moment you first contact the hotel, to when the resort manager Mark greets you when you arrive, everything is perfect - and perfectly consistent. One of the big reasons we love Four Seasons is that they don't feel crowded, even in high season. This is especially true of Carmelo - we were there over Christmas and it was booked full, yet no more than half of the pool chairs were ever in use, or half the restaurant, and even spa treatments were easy to schedule. We had a bungalow and loved it, especially the lush and private outdoor shower. The 50 minute horseback riding nearby was perfect, as was dinner at the nearby Finca Narbona winery. Drive through Colonia on the way in or out and spend a couple hours - that's all that old town needs - but it's well worth it. The staff and service was perfect. My asian massage by Ida was probably one of the best I've ever had - the best happened to be at the Four Seasons Singapore and this was very very close. This Four Seasons resort is very highly recommended!

Room Tip: We liked the bungalows - more private and with the outdoor shower.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bloomfield, MI
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We did not stay at the Four Seasons because we were booked in a nearby luxury B&B in Carmelo. We had two meals during our stay in the area and they were excellent. We looked at the hotel and decided if we every came back we would book a room here. The property is beautiful and Carmelo is a welcome get away from Buenos Aires. Don't hesitate to try it. Plus, visit the local winery for some fantastic wine.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Park City, Utah
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is an exceptional resort. Part Balinese design and part Uruguayan hospitality make this a relaxing and enjoyable destination. The rooms by the river are cozy and romantic and the mix of gaucho meets Bali works. The service is excellent and the Four Seasons delivers on both friendly and high quality staff. Food was very good but not exceptional yet we did not mind. The spa is amazing and we recommend taking a horsehide. End the day at the Shiva lounge and enjoy Uruguay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My expectations were reasonable as I was going with someone who had previously been to The Four Seasons Carmelo. She told me, before arriving, that although it was a Four Seasons it wouldn't be as nice as the ones I'm used to in the States. Maybe she was just tempering my expectations or maybe the place improved since her last visit. The place was great. Upon our arrival there was a thirty person retreat checking in. We were exhausted and didn't want to have to wait what looked like an hour to check in. Out of nowhere a young woman walked out from behind the front desk, from out of a sea of guests trying to check in, and came right to us. She greeted us by name and took us right to our rooms. Wow!!!

The grounds are nice. The hotel is on a river but it's in a woods/forrest setting. You will see the staff each morning cleaning up after the previous night's winds, cleaning up leaves everywhere, especially in the pool. We had two bungalows which connected. Both were modern, very clean, and had fantastic linens. The rooms had fully stocked mini bars, iPhone docking stations, wifi, big screen TVs with directv, nice and private outdoor seating areas, and even a private outdoor shower. The staff were just fantastic. There are too many little things to mention here but just know you can ask any of the staff for whatever you need and they will help you out.

The pool set up is beautiful. I'm sure you've seen the pictures on the website. It looks just like that. One day we sat poolside and had lunch and drinks. The staff was attentive and helpful, although at times overwhelmed. Frederic and his coworker (I forget his name) were ever so gracious and accommodating. There is sunscreen and bug spray at the pool readily available for you to use. We also winded down each day with drinks by the pool or outside on the patio. Just a great way to end the day.

We golfed one day and were very underwhelmed by the course. I'm not saying not to golf just manage your expectations. The course was also empty. We were literally the only people on it. That's not so much a bad thing, just unusual to me.

The spa and the gym were both fantastic. I love to run and lift weights. The gym had everything I needed to stay on my workout track. We also got spa treatments. Everyone in our group loved their treatments.

My only knock on the place was the food. I found it to be average. I get that it's Uruguay so I'm not even complaining. Rather I'm just letting you know. Everything was good but not what I have come to expect from a Four Seasons. One night I had an italian pasta dish. Another night I had a chicken breast dish. The quality was good but the chicken was over cooked and very simple. The breakfast each morning was simple and very average. But again, you are in a beautiful place that, at least in my case, I will probably never go back to. The Four Seasons made my experience a memorable one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Our family two boys 20 & 25 travelled to Buenos Aires for two weeks & had planned this side trip to the four seasons in Carmelo , Uruguay , from Canada. The hotel was absolutely beautiful, the grounds impeccable . Our room was lovely the loft upstairs made the main floor spacious. Unfortunately we had asked for a down free room due to acute asthma the room still had down in it which caused an asthma attack. We could not stay more than one night
We had taken the hydrofoil from Buenos Aires to Colonia then on to the Four Seasons in Carmelo. On the trip there we tried to negotiate a cab fare but they all had a fixed rate of &125.00 US for the one hour ride. The cab back was only $100.00US. The Four Seasons will provide their own transportation for you at a cost of $60.00/ person!
Now on to more pleasant information
There is a winery called Narbona near by. They send a car for you when you book a dinner reservation. This is a must see!! The winery has a free tour. It has been there since the 1900's. People were friendly and the food was amazing. It was a very romantic setting for dinner. If you book a tasting they take you downstairs to a candlelit room.
Everything is made fresh on site including the bread and cheese. You can actually stay there. Their have four rooms and a lovely new pool.
To the Four Seasons from Buenos Aires it's a long trip but worth every minute.

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there for 2 nights at the end of October, 2012 ... late spring & the grounds were rather sparse & not as lush as I assume they must become as the season progresses. The staff, all of them, we're friendly & accomodating. They loaned me sunblock & gave me my own can of OFF (there were a lot of mosquitoes as it had rained recently & there were puddles of standing water on the grounds, though not around the hotel itself). The room was large & lovely, Balinese in style (as was the hotel, but odd, we thought, for Uruguay) & my husband loved the outdoor shower (which I didn't use because you had to walk over uneven stones to get to it). The attached open terrace overlooking the Rio Plate in the distance was an attractive area to read & relax but had the hotel been crowded it wouldn't have afforded any privacy (there were also yard people working nearby in plain sight). The WiFi was spotty, even at the hotel's business center.
There are options of other places to eat in the vicinity, but all were closed mid-week when we were there, so we had to stick with the hotel for all meals. There are several restaurants, but they alternated being open ... I guess because it was still low-season. But here is the bad news: the food was extremely below par. Seafood risotto thick & gooey, calamari virtually tasteless, as was the accompanying sauce. The empanadas were fine, but in the land of empanadas they did not stand out in any way. The steak, in the land of meat, was inferior to all the others we had in Argntina & Uruguay, simply not tasty & overdone although we asked for rare. We wanted to try a local wine but the waitress reported they were out of it & recommended another, which was not exceptional, but when the bill arrived we discovered that this bottle of wine was $80 as opposed to the $55 bottle we had originally ordered. We felt that she should have told us that at the time. The next day we spoke with one of the wine people & she agreed, said it was a new staff member, and when we got our final hotel bill they had kindly removed the additional $25 from the accounting. The menu was the exact same in both of the restaurants. The second night we ordered cocktails at the restaurant bar & it took over half an hour for them to arrive (& it as not at all crowded). At dinner we ordered wine by the glass & that was fine, though the food was not remotely worth the prices they charge. (Had it been, I wouldn't be complaining). Again, the staff was superb, but the place itself just not worth the trouble it is to get to it.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Camandari
chicago
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We just left after spending three relaxing days at this wonderful spot in the world. The staff and service really are exceptional. Carlos helped us plan our transportation from the airport in Buenos Aires and greeted us as we arrived. The rooms are just what you except from the Four Seasons-clean, well appointed and very private. I visited the spa two days and I highly recommend the South American Experience massage. The restaurant is suberb and the staff provided excellent service. We left the resort for one evening for a wine tour and dinner at nearby Narbona which is a gem in Carmelo and Uruguay. I highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmelo
Casa Chic
#2 of 7 in Carmelo
Posada CampoTinto
Posada CampoTinto
#1 of 7 in Carmelo

Been to Carmelo Resort & Spa, the Unbound Collection by Hyatt? Share your experiences!