“Excellent Christmas/New Year Break!”

Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Reviewed January 24, 2012

First ever Xmas/New New away in our life and what a wonderful, special experience it was!

FIrst class service, rooms, food, drink, ammenities and overall splendour!

We stayed in a seaview room overlooking from the front part of the resort on an all inclusive package, which for us was very good, the only grip was that with the beer on offer that was it! It would be a good idea to have at least a choice of 2 beers e.g. fosters & carlsberg, sorry Tuborg not very nice, but this did not dampen our stay as my husband paid extra for Corona, but the point being we already paid for All Inclusive and paid on top for drinks as they were not to our taste. We could of upgraded to Premium All Inclusive but for an extra £1000 on the holiday we did not feel this to be worth doing.

The food was excellent! and the way the buffet catered for Xmas was amazing! choices of all meats, including pork and gingerbread houses, elaborate cakes and ice sculptures all over was just breathtaking! Absolutely brilliant! The children were looked after brilliantly with the chocolate xmas moulds everywhere and in the rooms! Well done to Malcom and the team, really well done!

The rooms were exellently kept clean and tidy by our room boy Lawrence, nothing was too much to ask, extra towels, etc. The salon which is situated in the hotel was very resonabally price, I had two treatments while I was there and wish I could of brought the girls back to England with me! The girls also in the shops were very helpful and accomodating. Jimmy helped us a lot with our needs from internet service to arranging the brilliant desert tour and driver for a days shopping in Dubai.

I know I have gone on and on but cannot praise this resort for its well groomed and mannered staff, good food and great New Years Eve Gala! It was that good we have booked again for this Xmas/New Year and are taking my parents with us to! Heres hoping we have a brilliant stay just the same as the one we have just had as we have not stopped going on and on about this wonderful place!

Room Tip: Seaview Rooms a must!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrsD357
RMHiltonRAKResortSpa, Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Dear Mrs D,

How pleasing it is to read your well written accolades of our resort, our team members and your overall enjoyment you and your family had being here with us.

As we read, you virtually enjoyed each and every amenity we offer. It is a great pleasure when we learn that as we daily strive to exceed the expectations of our guests that someone such as you tells us.

We kindly send you our most appreciative thank you. May all your future travels be as joyous and we look forward to your return visit in December this year for another enjoyable stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2012

My family and I returned for a second time to this resort, much developed compared to the first time but its very well presented and everything is very prestine.
The venue is perfect for a relaxing holiday and the hotel facilities from rooms to beach beds are first class, the food available in the buffet restuarant is very good varied and of course plentifull.
Everything is kept spotlessy clean both inside and out of the hotel, if like me you are into Golf I can recommend the Tower Links Golf Club just 10 minutes away from the hotel and very reasonable green fees compared to Dubai itself.
To me how I am looked after is very important, the staff here are amazing and a great credit to the Hilton Hotel Group, I have stayed at many five star resorts and they were simply the best, particularly the care and attention giving to my 10 month old grandson ( thanks Joan )
Lastly to the Hotel Manager many thanks, it was nice to meet you, you know a Manager is only as good as his team and yours is certainly five star.The Wiltshire Traveller

Room Tip: Recommend sea view rooms but for large values look at the villas by the beach
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Moonraker_12

Dear Moonraker_12,

Thank you very much for choosing the Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa for your last stay in U.A.E.

It is with great pleasure that I read your feedback about the facilities and the service at the resort. Rest assured that your very encouraging comments have been shared with the team here.

As you mentionned, our Resort offers large activities on site but am also very happy to read that you enjoyed the Tower Links Golf club located 10 minutes away from the Resort. It is a great golf and an additional value for our resort, the pricing for green fees being of course non comparable with Dubai.

We all look forward to welcoming you and your family to the resort very soon.

Kind regards.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Staying at this hotel gives you access to the Spa & Resort about 5 mins ride on a bus provided by the hotel. We stayed over xmas and New Year 2011. The NY entertainment was OK with plenty of food and a belly dancer.. but it lacked vision. We went to the Spa one which was much more lively and looked nicer.

The hotel itself is pretty basic but has everthing you need for an enjoyable stay. I will break it down.
Food.
The service and food at the Sea Food resturant was second to none and the best out of both hotels. The staff bent over backwards to cater to your needs and were friendly and courteous. The chef prepared the food consisently well so we ended up eating there on most days. The breakfast had a good variety but by lunch and dinner time you start to get a bit bored...thankfully the seafood place was a wonderful alternative.
Staff
Again Seafood staff all in all excellent. Reception staff was also adequate. A male staff doing the excursions were pushy and rude thefore I ended up booking my excursions outside the hotel. Typical example of how bad staff can loose you money.
Access to the resort
This is a lovey added bonus which made staying here worthwhile. Most days we took the bus and stayed on the clean wide beach, with a peaceful lagoon and had basic good snacks and cocktails at the Dhow beach bar, lovely staff there too. The sheisha lounge was a beautiful added bonus too for a place to relax and enjoy a snack. The Italian resturant was OK, nothing to shout about, the Asian resturant had better staff and food.
Bars
The XO bar had the best entertainment by far. OMGness the Bar at the non resort hotel had noisy set of 3 scantily clad japanese girls singing cover songs badly each night... Awful Awful Awful..

I would have given this hotel a 2 but as you can use the beach and facilites at the spa resort it gets a 4. Very popular with Italians and Germans but it did have a few Brits too.

Dubai hotels and vacinity is large and vast, so for that reason I see no point in going back but it was OK generally. New Years celebration you could see they put in a lot of work to make staff happy. Just ensure you get use of both hotels and you will be OK.. best bit..the beach.

Room Tip: Get one with the view of the sea..no beach at this place but you can see the water. Higher the bette...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheripie
Julien B, Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

Dear Cheripie,

Thank you for your feedback.
Both positive as well as constructive feedbacks have been shared with the team members, we hope this will encourage them all to either continue their great performance or entice them to improve as and when possible, to ensure the best service at all times for ALL our guests.

Yours with warm regards,

Julien Besancon
Food & Beverage Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2012

I have stayed at the property on two occasions, once November 09 and Sept 11 and plan to return this year. The first thing I would say to anyone considering the location but not familiar with the UAE is that it’s not Dubai. If you are looking to experience Dubai then stay in the city. It is only about an hour to 90 min drive but not really a base to go back and forth. Whilst RAK has a bit to see and do there is not a lot so you will be hotel bound and stays of longer than a week may leave you looking for things to do. Having stayed in Dubai before we essentially just wanted the sun and the service not the location.
The hotel service is impeccable the staff notice the small details which really shows through. I stayed with friends on my first visit and then took my husband and mother in law for the second visit. I was a little nervous as sometimes with a high turnaround of staff you can often find the service hit and miss. I can only say the service was even better I was amazed. On the first night in the buffet we needed to ask for a higher back chair for my mother in law by the 2nd night this was picked up on straight away and by the 3rd was waiting for us at the table.
If you arrive with Virgin ( I did not find the transfer bus to bad to be honest but there is not a lot to see) you will arrive early morning. You are greeted with cold towels and juice and then if lucky able to go to your room however as you are early they may send you to have breakfast whilst they try to get your room ready. In theory it should not be too much of an issue as the departing Virgin Holidays guests will have left at 5am.
I understood that all rooms were sea view unless you are ground or perhaps in the villas we only stayed in the main hotel. The rooms were well furnished and spotlessly clean. The house keeping staff were very friendly and chatty and not in the ‘I’m in it for the tip’ way that I have encountered in other countries. In fact I never once felt that any of the staff had that kind of attitude. The service is very much like that of the 5* hotels in India but then the staff are often from the east.
We had a small problem with the drain in the bathroom and one call to reception sorted it.
My mother in law loved sitting on her balcony in the afternoon as its very quiet for such a huge hotel. We never struggled to find a sun lounger and the pool attendants were so quick and remembered guests and where they liked to sit.
If you like a drink (alcohol) it is worth the AI option as I would imagine at £5 and up for a drink it can add up in a day. Then again there is now a duty free on site but I did not go in and am not sure of the prices but it may work out cheaper if you are only there 2 or 3 nights as the room is lovely and it’s nice to sit on your balcony at night. The resort is beautifully lit at night. There are a number of bars around the resort including a swim up pool bar and a couple on the beach as well as one at the lighthouse but there are golf carts are available to take you from one end to another. There is also a spa and the treatments were good and reasonable but the Jacuzzi and steam room areas were not as nice as they could have been given the splendour of the rest of the hotel. We only ate at the buffet so cannot comment on the other restaurants although they looked lovely. We found that the buffet was excellent for choice and managed to suit the fussiest of diners. The staff never stopped they were always on the go and given the number of tables it was managed effortlessly.
The hotel does not have a lot of nightlife which suited us but do consider this if that is what you are looking for.
There is a golf course nearby which you can play at guest rates and a dive shop on site which now offers courses however the visibility is rarely over 5 to 10 meters but Virgin Atlantic take sports gear at no extra so you can always sling clubs and dive bags on.
As the flight back to the UK is early your pick up is 5.30 6 ish but the hotel lay on coffees, juice, fruit and pastries for the guests which we thought was a nice touch.
This is a beautiful hotel and fantastic value for money for what you get but the staff are the main reason I would go back whatever they are doing its working.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank reganSurrey

Dear ReganSurrey,

Thank you very much for your comments about the resort and the wide range of activities and facilities available, from the food and beverage outlets, to the spa, watersports, excursions, etc … or simply relaxing around one of the many pools or the beach.

The Rak Resort & Spa has indeed a lot to offer and I am of course delighted that you have enjoyed your stay at the resort and that our team members were able to exceed your expectations.

The team and I look forward to welcoming back for more fun during your third stays with us.

Kindest regards.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

Starting with a summary, for those short of time, we would return to this hotel. Despite being a little dated, the hotel was quiet and comfortable and the staff were, without exception, excellent. To go into more detail:

Airport Transfers: these were arranged by the hotel and were efficient. We were met on arrival at Dubai and transferred in a minibus to RAK, around an hour away. The return journey was similarly smooth.

Check In/Out: Despite arriving at 10.00, four hours ahead of the advertised check-in time, the receptionist happily set about finding us a room. It was a little unfortunate that the hotel systems were not up to date and the room that she allocated us turned out not to have been cleaned. Another room was not immediately available and so we were offered a breakfast in the restaurant while we waited. By 11.30 were in a bright, cleaned room overlooking the pool. Check-out was very fast and efficient.

Bedroom: We were in a de luxe, non-smoking room with two, large single beds that were very comfortable. The air conditioning worked well and was not overly noisy. There was plenty of hanging space and a good number of hangars. However, the room would have benefited from more drawer space and/or shelves. The en-suite bathroom was a little dated, like the rest of the hotel, but everything worked and was in good order. The only strange thing was that it very often smelt of cigarette smoke which I can only attribute to the ventilation system being linked into a floor where smoking was permitted. In any event, the ventilation system was not very effective and a heated mirror would have been useful for the morning shave.

Housekeeping and Maintenance: Our room was kept very clean by the hard working but cheerful housekeeping staff. On the odd occasion when something like a towel was missing this was swiftly corrected. Surprisingly for this day and age, the bedroom door locks were mechanical rather than electronic. One evening, my wife was unfortunate enough to break the key in the lock. This was reported to reception and promptly fixed by the maintenance staff.

Meal Plan: We had opted for the all inclusive meal plan and this worked reasonably well, although there were some restrictions that were surprising. First, while you could get drinks on the AI plan at the pool bar and elsewhere, you could not get a snack at the same outlet. All food had to be taken in the Al Khor restaurant and was confined to fixed meal times. Not unusually, drinks choice was confined to a specific range and, generally, local brands. However, within those confines, it seemed strange that you could have a tequila sunrise but not a margarita and that the only beer on offer was a can of Tuborg when other beers were on sale at identical prices. The major failing in the AI plan was the wine. The plan limited wine choice to a red or white boxed wine under the Stanley brand and supposedly from Australia. The red was just about OK but the white wine was without doubt the worst white wine we have tasted in many a year. Foul is the only adjective that adequately describes this acetone smelling, amber coloured, acid tasting liquid that should never have been allowed into a glass. Clearly, Stanley wine was chosen by a tee-total accountant. It was a disgrace to Australian vintners and detracted from the brand image of Hilton as a luxury group.

Restaurants: The Al Khor restaurant presented buffet meals to a generally high standard. Certainly, we had no significant complaints about any of the food. Buffet meals are often something of a scrum, with a large number of guests arriving in the dining room at more or less the same time, and the Al Khor was no exception to this rule. The evening meals were themed as “Asian” or “Mediterranean” but the content, although perfectly edible, did not seem to match the description. That aside, quantity, quality and variety were not an issue. We had one meal in the Hoof ‘n’ Fin a la carte restaurant and that was excellent - a perfectly cooked, medium rare chateaubriand for two.

Bar: There is only one indoor bar at the hotel and it stinks of stale smoke. There are no non-smoking drinking facilities at the hotel. We did not use the dank and smelly bar but, instead, took advantage of being able to drink on the AI plan at the nearby Doubletree by Hilton hotel. A short walk through hotel grounds, across a road and up to the 15th floor for the rooftop bar and a fabulous view across RAK while sipping a cold gin and tonic. Vastly superior to the Hilton hotel bar.

Leisure Facilities: The hotel has a reasonably well equipped gym and a good sized swimming pool surrounded by comfortable sun loungers. Guests can also catch an hourly shuttle bus to the Hilton Resort and Spa that has a greater range of facilities and a sandy beach.

Hotel Staff: One of the reasons why we would consider returning to the RAK Hilton is the very high quality of all of the staff. Each and every one of them was polite, friendly and extremely helpful. They seemed to anticipate your needs and were clearly very well trained and happy in their work. As someone who has travelled widely and often, the staff at the RAK Hilton come out top of my tree and my wife endorses that view.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool or creek view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PierrelePilote
Julien B, Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Dear PierrelePilote ,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write your elaborate review of our property, highlighting some of your service experiences by our team.
Rest assured that your feedback will be shared with them to motivate them to keep doing the best they can do for our loyal guests!

I have taken note of your constructive feedback regarding the wine quality and restriction of the All Inclusive package.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future and remain with kindest regards,

Julien Besancon
Food & Beverage Manager

Reviewed January 20, 2012

We travelled in April 2011 and had an amazing time. Fully recommend upgrading to premium AI and a club room. We took our 2 young boys aged 2 and 3 and they loved it.

DOES ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN HAVE JIMMY THE VIRGIN REPS EMAIL ADDRESS AS WE HAVE LOST HIS CARD AND NEED TO CONTACT HIM!!!

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HelenB288
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This has got to be the perfect resort for an early holiday. Having visited the resort at the end of February 2010 and 2011, I can't wait to get back there in February 2012.
The resort is always in perfect condition and the location is brilliant.
Apart from these points and the excellent food ther,why are we going back?
Because the staff are superb each year. I'm sure the staff turns over but the hotel seems to replace any departures with equally great staff.
Feel I have to add that in previous years we have found Jimmy the Virgin rep helpful and have managed to use the Virgin office internet on most days. Perhaps people caught him at a challenging time.

Room Tip: Have stayed in two very diffent locations in the hotel,both on upper floors and both excellent
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roy D
RMHiltonRAKResortSpa, Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2012

Dear Roy D,

Welcome back to Ras Al Khaimah and thank you for completing a Review on your previous visits.

It is always a pleasure to welcome guests back and we are happy to see that you enjoyed your return visit. I have passed your thanks onto the team today.

We look forward to welcoming you back in February, please do not hesitate to contact for any further request.

Kindest regards.