“Best DoubleTree I have ever stayed”

DoubleTree by Hilton Resort & Spa Marjan Island
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Brand new and very luxurious resort on a stunning location. Perfect if you are traveling with kids with lots of activities for them to join. Multiple swimming pools and large beach area with lots of beach activities.

The rooms are very nice and have a good balcony. Good restaurant options with friendly staff.

Definately recommended!

1  Thank Chantal B

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I am very conflicted about the review I am about to write because for the most part my stay in this resort was wonderful. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful, and on most occassions the staff was professional, attentive and very helpful. Unfortunately, my initial entrance to the resort was very poorly handled and the resort did not attempt to compensate me in any way.

My flight arrived in Dubai on a Saturday night at 7:30 PM (this was 15 minutes early, it was supposed to arrive at 7:45pm). Prior to my arrival, I made arrangements with the resort staff for transportation from the airport in Dubai to the resort in Ras-al-Khaimah. I am a young woman traveling alone to a country I had never been to, so I was very careful about arranging my transportation from the airport to the hotel. I exited the airplane, went through passport control, claimed my baggage, and immediately headed towards the exit. To my surprise, there was no one there waiting for me. I spent about 15 minutes running around trying to figure out where my transportation was, and then attempted to call the hotel at 7:45 (I have proof of this in my call log). My cell phone was not working in Dubai, and eventually a kind stranger lent me his phone to call the resort. The staff at the resort informed me that the driver had waited for me for an hour (obviously either impossible, or the driver got to the airport way too early) and left. Considering that the staff had my flight information, it is quite shocking to me that they do not understand that an hour is a perfectly reasonable amount of time to get through passport control and baggage claim. If my plane lands at 7:30, it is a logistical impossibility that I will be sitting in a cab at 7:45. I was completely alone, and after a 13 hour flight from new york city, I assure you I was eager to get out of the airport. When I spoke to the staff, they offered me no apologies and simply kept stating that the driver had waited for me for a long time. They instructed me to take a cab. To make matters worse, my cab driver did not know how to get to the resort in ras-al-khaimah (something for you to consider), and what should have been a 1 hour cab ride actually became a 2 hour cab ride and the driver kept the meter running the entire time.

Now I understand that mistakes happen, and I have plenty of good things to say about this resort as well, but it is alarming to me that I did not even receive an apology. After being left alone in an airport in a foreign country, you would think that the resort would make some attempt at compensating for their mistake rather than berrating me over the phone about how long it took me to get through customs.

Now, trying to get past this initial impression I would also like to tell you about the things I loved. The resort is truly beautiful. When you walk in, everything sparkles and the staff is warm and welcoming. Any time I had a question, the staff was able to answer it and provide me with many options. Room service was quick and efficient, and while I saw some other reviews complaining about the food, I actually found it to be pretty great. The breakfast buffet is particularly delicious! The beach has this inflatable playground, which is extremely fun, and there are many beautiful, clean, pools. I would probably recommend this resort for anyone. I was meeting my boyfriend at the resort, and we had a very private, romantic experience. However, I saw many children and families around, and they seemed to be having a wonderful time as well. The resort is big enough that the presence of children did not ruin my romantic getaway in the slightest. Overall, I had a wonderful time, and if it hadn't been for the poor handling of my initial experience I would have given this resort five stars.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Around all of the pool areas the tiles used are incredibly dangerous and are extremely slippy when wet. Several children fell over seriously banging their heads on the hard floor. This is a major design fault. Also, only one retsuarnat was fully open (Buffet) and another had only a very limited set menu. This was not mentioned when we booked and so we were very disappointed with the lack of restaurant choice available. The fact that the hotel is not fully open yet must be better communicated.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed April 20, 2014

It's a nice place overseeing part of the sea but not directly facing the Gulf.
The hotel resort complex is big and you shall expect to walk from the main building to your room, which is OK during winter but I can't imagine doing that in the warmer months.
There's a lift on each building so you don't have to carry the luggage through the stairs.

We arrived quite late night and a little bit hesitated to order room service meals. But looking the variety of the menu and reasonable price, we went ahead to order pizza and buffalo wings. The dinner arrived in about 35 minutes in a special warmer container and the staff quickly set them up on our table. The meal taste good and well prepared.

The next morning we went to the restaurant at the main building for breakfast. The variety is not that great but the quality is great for breakfast.

I don't have much time trying all the facilities but in general they are clean and well maintained. Overall we have good experience here.

The distance from nearby shopping mall probably will put some people off, but if you plan to spend the whole weekend at only one place, this is one good alternative to consider.

Room Tip: If you get there with your own car, ask a room closer to car park.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have been staying at many DoubleTree hotels and resorts arround the world and this one has so far been the best I have seen. The resort is located on a man made island, approximate 45 minutes away from Dubai airport and is still brand new and very well designed. The rooms are clean, elegant and spacious. They have different selections of restaurants and bars, we tried and liked all of them. The quality of the food in the hotel is consistently exceptional and we can recommend the seafood platters with fresh fish and lobster together with a nice glass of wine and the sea and moonshine in the backdrop. Private beach dinners are also available to book and their is a bar/shisha lounge on the top floor of the hotel which is parituclary nice in the evening. The beach is clean and plenty of sunbeds are available, even though the hotel seemed to be fully booked. There are also many swimming pools and different children play areas arround the hotel and they have a friendly kids club. James and Pushba from the restaurants and bars were very helpful and offered great service. We were travelling with a small baby and I can recommend the hotel for families but also for couples and for those looking for quiet and relaxing vacation. We liked it very much and already booked again for the next weekend!

Room Tip: Paying a little extra for a seaview room is worth it!
1  Thank tfrogk
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We have experienced poor service starting from reaching and check in point till check out point. In front office staff didn't give information unless we ask . You feel that they are with no experience . so many people fighting with them in front of us which reflect negative feeling. No one assist us in luggage . When they compensate us with free dinner because they keep us 2 hours to check in we be surprised that dinner not including even bottle of water or ay soft drink !!!! eat free as compensation but pay for drink although the breakfast including all kinds of drinks.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
remco w, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort & Spa Marjan Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Dear Ibrahim J,
It is with regret that I learn of your experience and I am truly sorry for that. My sincere apologies for your dissappointing stay.
We have a great brand new property and we have all in our hands to make all our guests happy. I am most sorry we failed to deliver on this occasion; rest assured we are working hard to iron out any default and will improve quickly here on.
I will brief you directly on the same. Appreciate your input.
Once again apologies on behalf of all team.
Kind regards, Remco & Team

Reviewed April 16, 2014

From the time you drive your car into the hotel entrance, we were greeted by the smiley welcome of the concierge team. Our luggage was taken care of while we check in and greeted by the yummy Doubletree cookie. After a swift check in, though we were allocated to one of the chalets away from the main hotel building, we were courteouslty provided with a club car drive to our room. What was unexpected and a nice surprice is that the set of chalets has its own swimming pool!. Room was comfortable, very clean and amenities to expectations. Room service ordered for dinner was delivered promptly and even when we requested for extra items, our waiter akcnowledged positively. Though the hotel was very busy, breakfast service was well managed, with plenty of choices for us and our daughter. I cannot complement enough the staff friendliness, especially Nena at reception and Vishesh in the restaurant. Indeed the perfect place to relax and for a nice family break. Well done!

Room Tip: The Challets set of rooms have their own swimming pool in front!
1  Thank UncleJersay

Dear UncleJersay,
Thank you very much for staying with us and I am delighted to hear you had a nice stay and enjoyed our resort. hope to welcome you back soon,
Best regards, Remco & Team