“It was OK”

Ras Al Khaimah Hotel
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
“It was OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

we stayed at the RAK Hotel last week for 2 nights and theonly reason we chose this hotel was because the diving school we were attending is based there.
First of all the hotel is old, the decor is dated and it almost feels as though you have travelled back in time to the 1980's.
The welcome at the reception was poor, the lady at the reception was uninterested and borderline rude.
Once we were shown to our room I was pleased with the size but it did smell a little, that old furniture smell but it was clean and the room is carpeted which makes a nice change.
We wanted and adaptor plug so that we could use the laptop and it took them half an hour to send us an adaptor that didnt work and another half an hour to finally send one that worked.
We ordered room service since we arrived quite late and my husband ordered the mixed grill, i ordered smoked salmon tagliatelle. It was lovely.
The bed was comfortable but I found it difficult to sleep, there seemed to be a lot of noise coming from downstairs, i think it was music but dont know where it was coming from. there is no bar or club at the hotel.
The breakfast was ok, small selection of hot food which included samosas and spring rolls which I dont consider breakfast food. They did have chicken sausage, beef bacon and scrambled egg.
on our second night we ordered room service. I asked for Umm Ali and they didnt have it, apparently they only make it if enough people order it, I asked for muhallabia and they didnt have that either! I was unhappy that anything I wanted from the menu was unavailabe and wondered why it was on the menu in the first place?! he called me back and then offered me the Umm ali after I had complained.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, which suprised me since this is usually provided even in the most basic hotels. I called to order english breakfast tea and guess what.....they didnt have any! again I complained they told me that they had run out, I asked them if they would be serving tea with breakfast then and they said no! there is a supermarket right opposite the hotel, my husband was already there so I asked him to get me tea, I asked room service if they would provide me with hot water and a cup, this was ok but they only sent hot water, no cup, another call to room service and this was rectified.
I took my own tea bags to breakfast the next day, but they must have bought some! seems petty I know but this hotel claims to be 4 star! definitely not a 4 star hotel and most certainly not a 4 star service.
After spending the day in the pool on my diving course I was looking forward to jumping in the shower, what a disapointment! it can only be described as a treacle of water! no pressure at all.

All in all the hotel was a bit dull, old fashioned and didnt provide a 4 star service. As I mentioned the stay here was for convenience and nothing else. I wouldnt rush back but I have stayed in worse hotels.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jodieDubai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night with my sisters and brother in law , the rate is good because the hotel package includes the dreamland water park. the swimming pool timing is from 10am to 6pm , since its too hot in the morning and we arrived at 5:30 pm we don't have time to use it anymore and we need to check-out at 10am,it would be better if they will extend the timings so the guests whose having a free time only in the evening can still use it. The bathroom amenities should be good for two person if they are having twin bedrooms. Towels should be change , it looks old.

Breakfast is ok, but it would be better if you will have a live cooking station for eggs. I know its a buffet breakfast but there should have a service staff attending to the tables.

Free wifi in the lobby is excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ems961
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Nice hotel for a low price. Stayed here for one night on our our way to dibba.
Free wi-fi in lobby, spacious pool and clean rooms.

Hotel is a bit outdated, but for the price it's fine.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank collindominique
Partille, Vastra Gotaland, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Nice hotel with a fine Pool and free Wi-Fi in the reseption area

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stayed there for two nights. The staff was very rude and unprofessional.
The rooms were old and the furniture and tv were out of date. The AC was very loud. The mattress was old and very uncomfortable.
There was absolutely nothing to do at the hotel. The pool was closed for maintenance. The bars were out of service. No alcohol at all. Not even in room service. Most of the guests were with kids so it was very noisy. I was charged 500 a night (a total rip off but due to eid, everything else was already gone). The price was with breakfast and tickets to the Iceland water park. The tickets expired 1 day after check in. It should have been at least 2-3 days. I requested the front desk to change the date on the tickets so I could use it two days later and the reply was 'no way, it is what it is'...
The only thing good was breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Hotels-of-UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Old HOTEL,Old room,old A/C,staff not professional, from the reception to room service...
Good swimming pool BUT no life guard person,any body swimming with no control for cleaning and swimming costumes.
I DON'T ADVICE PEOPLE BUT ONE GOOD THINK IN THIS HOTEL THEY GIVE ME 2 FREE TICKETS TO ENTER ICE LAND WATER PARK AMAZING WATER PARK IN THE DESERT

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Wassimfh
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

Good value for money, the hotel is old property but still main hotel facilities are working properly,

Location is not far from the City Center and few minutes waking to the Corniche area in RAK.

Food was great, friendly service, nice sports bar along with sports facilities e.g. Squash, Tennis, etc...

Rooms are normal standard comparing to the value of money paid.

Room Tip: Book Julphar Suite if you can afford it