“Relaxing stay...shame about wifi access”

Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My son and I stayed at this lovely resort for two nights and found it to be a very relaxing and peaceful getaway from Dubai. The deluxe room was ample and very comfortable with a lovely view out to the Lagoon pool and over the resort. We had previously stayed at the Waldorf Astoria down the road in Al Hamra, and I have to say, this is not of a similar 5 star quality. This is definitely a place to go with the kids. I would not enjoy sitting around the main pool if I was on a romantic weekend. The pool lounges are all taken by lunchtime, and I had the feeling that I was sitting on top of the people around me...a bit crowded and downmarket to be honest. Having said that it was perfect with my 7 year old, as he made friends and I enjoyed some lovely adult company as well. The sunsets were amazing, and the beach is nice if you get there in the morning and enjoy the low tide before the water is crashing on the stone wall that is built to keep the water from eroding the beach. My biggest gripe is the lack of wifi access. There is only paid cable access in the room (no good if you have an ipad), and the couple of times I needed the internet in the main restaurant, I had to ask for a code. Now in this day and age when you are paying top dollar to stay at a 5 star resort, I expect wifi to be free throughout the resort! It also makes it easier on the poor staff, who have to keep explaining where you can access, for how long, how much etc etc. Ridiculous! If the resort advertises itself as a technology free zone (no TV, mobile phones etc) it would be fine, and you would come here to completely switch off. My husband was in hospital on the other side of the world, and I was not able to contact him easily. This was very frustrating. Please change your system Cove Rotana, and you will be almost perfect :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, otherwise you may be staring at another building
1  Thank Katrina H
coveresort, General Manager at Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to read your general positive feedback on our hotel facilities. Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the Wifi access, kindly note that we are in the process of upgrading our internet services.

We hope this does not deter you from returning to The Cove Rotana Resort in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We were looking forward to a 'get away from it all' break in the sun for a week to get away from rainy old England, but unfortunately, this wasn't quite the relaxing break we were after. Management need some training on good customer service - it seemed like we only got responses to our reasonable requests (the transfer to the airport that was inclusive on our deal for example) after we made a bit of a fuss.

My room (in the 6000 sector) was very noisy until well into the night with constant banging and the sound of the golf buggies zooming up and down the road. The rooms aren't sound proofed, and I didn't sleep well during my stay.

The food was fairly average, although the catering staff were generally lovely. Waiting staff were smiley, but you had to wait ages for them to bring drinks.

There was only one heated pool, which everyone was at because it was February - I felt they should have heated the other pool, too.

The gym and massage facilities were nice, but the resort would benefit from an organised programme of events like aqua aerobics, beach volleyball, yoga classes etc. Some kind of evening entertainment would also have been appreciated on at least a couple of nights of the week.

The resort is pretty, and we didn't find the golf buggies were needed much unless you felt ill or tired! It was pleasant to walk around in the sunshine. The heated pool was lovely and we camped out there for most of the week, although staff were very strict about only allowing each guest two towels per day! It seemed like there were a lot of rules and issues which didn't make it as relaxing as it could have been.

It was a pleasant enough holiday but we wouldn't go there again. I think it could and should do better.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at the Cove Rotana.

With much regret I learnt that your stay was not a satisfactory one. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and be assured that each point was discussed with our Department Heads to avoid re-occurrence. I can assure that the service you experienced is not up usual high standards of the hotel. We aim to provide the best possible service and not only meet, but even exceed the guests’ expectations.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies, and I do hope to welcome you back to convince you of our otherwise fine service

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We went to the Cove Rotana and purchased their Valentine's package, inclusive of a beach massage, dinner and overnight stay. Excellent value for money and fantastic hotel.

As it was an extremely busy weekend, it was great to see Kosta Adamakis from the Front Office Department driving guests on the hotel golf carts. All staff were under more stress than usual and he still made us feel like the most important people at the hotel.

We were upgraded to a premium suite overlooking the beach (highly recommend booking a suite over a standard room, different atmosphere). The mattress and pillows were superb but we were disappointed to find that two power sockets were not functional. Due to the beach location, we chose to call reception for a golf cart for transport to dinner and check-out. Waiting time was no more than 2 minutes each time. This way you are also able to get a good idea on the hotel layout. There are two infinity pools (one heated) as well as the beach. All areas are great for kids and adults as there is a bar, volleyball at the beach and table tennis at the pools.

Dinner was somewhat disappointing as I am a lover of food and did not find the food quality impressive. This however, is not a reflection on the staff as they were quite concerned when we did not finish the course and brought additional food to better the experience. I would definitely try this restaurant again as I am certain the normal menu would have more variety. On a brighter note, breakfast is wonderful, in particular the waffles. The gentleman serving the waffles and crepes went the extra mile and even brought me fresh cream from the kitchen.

Overall, I would most definitely visit the Cove Rotana again. It is an amazing location with a welcoming design and phenomenal service.

Room Tip: Premium suite facing the beach towards the left corner when facing the beach
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review of your recent stay at The Cove Rotana Resort.
It is very pleasing to read how much you have enjoyed your time with us and we were able to offer you and upgrade. Your feedback about Kosta will be shared with entire team as well your wonderful comments and your recognition of our colleagues.
Your kind comment with regards to the food quality has been discussed with concerned department.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cove Rotana Resort in the future.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed there with family for a night. A great view of the Arabian Gulf as we enter the hotel. Concierge and GSA are all very helpful and polite to start with. The rooms are ok , very small considering that one pays AED 850 per night however location is just mesmerizing. We had a quick snack at Breezer ( Beach Bar), drinks were good but the food was terrible. Amazing to see that with such a beautiful property but the dine in options are horrendous. We then tried looking at the buffet at Cinnamon which was not only horrible to look but also it felt that a Chef is needed to refresh the buffet. The most un appetising part of the buffet was the dessert , i felt that there is no direction and those are done by some apprentice. We ended up having dinner at Basilico which was empty with 2 tables only. Ambience is great but the food is terrible as we paid AED 600 for 4 persons which am ok till the time food is worth it but it was a complete rip off. Service was even awful as the restaurant was empty but staff had no sort of anticipation.
The only good thing was the room service which was fast , efficient and up to mark.
Breakfast next morning was worst i have had in ages. Everything was old , again lacked supervision and direction and mushrooms were discoloured as they had stayed in there since 6 am and am sure chef cooked at 4 am.
Also, french toast under heating lamp ,,,, total disaster, dry and terrible as same was quiche.

With a great pool, great front office staff, its sad to see the f&b options. Executive chef and F&B manager really need to look into their operation and management as well needs to look into the overall offering for dine in which is dead, old and boring.

I might only recommend everyone to only stay there but strictly look into other dine in options as its a complete rip off and terrible.

Room Tip: Rooms are great but stay away from the dine in options even if you get a better deal
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Aki D
coveresort, General Manager at Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Cove Rotana Resort.

We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities and attentive & friendly service of our colleagues. However, we sincerely apologize that the food is not up to your liking, your valued comments are noted and will be shared with our team members concerned.

We hope that this not deter you from coming back to The Cove Rotana Resort.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

First of all, the place had a lot of lovely features and staff were generally very friendly. Be aware that if you are on the all-inclusive package there is one place only you can eat - the Cinnamon restaurant, which has a lovely buffet. Order your drinks early - it takes forever for them to arrive. Everywhere else serves a limited selection of drinks (you can't even have mocktails!) only - all the rest your pay for. The Internet provision is awful - I was able to connect, briefly, only twice in the week. You have to get a drink from the Breeze bar to get a 30-minute code to get wi-fi. This does not always work. Only one pool is heated - an issue in February, when the water in the other pool was much too cold. The resort is poorly managed and you will find yourself frustrated if anything goes wrong. I found a cockroach in the bathroom on the second day. The room was sprayed twice but I was not moved. Two days later, I was lying in bed when I felt a cockroach walking across my back. They had returned. It turns out that rooms in rows 9, 8 and 7 are prone to cockroaches as they are near the restaurant. Make of this what you will. I was moved to a room away from the restaurant but if this had been done sooner I wouldn't have had to share a bed with a cockroach. Shudder! Booking a shuttle back to the airport was also over-complicated. Cove Rotana has the potential to be a five-star resort but would need to really put customers first, rather than just seeing us as a source of easy money, for that to happen.

Room Tip: Rooms in rows 7, 8 and 9 more likely to have cockroaches.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank EmmaN16

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the Cove Rotana Resort!

With much regret I learnt that your stay was not entirely a satisfactory one. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and be assured that each point was discussed with our Department Heads to avoid re-occurrence.

We hope that this not deter you from coming back to The Cove Rotana Resort in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Positive feedback:

+ beautiful sub-tropical garden/ landscape
+ great Moorish (oriental) architecture/ furnishing
+ very clean sandy beach, lovely pool areas
+ unbelievable friendly, helpful, attentive staff in all areas!
+ great food - a wide variety, everything fresh and super tasty!
+ very childfriendly

Negative feedback:

- all room categories have the same size - just the view is different, very small for more than 2 people, especially when you plan to stay longer than just a weekend - cupboard is tiny too!!

- room interior would need a partial renewal, visual signs of wear and tear, especially in the bathroom!

- very bad and very expensive internet use, very poor for a 5* star hotel!

Room Tip: If you are more than 2 people and plan to stay longer than just a weekend you should book one of the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
coveresort, General Manager at Cove Rotana Resort Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive and negative feedback from your recent stay with us at The Cove Rotana Resort.

With pleasure we learnt that in general you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your compliments to our Colleagues who was most pleased at your gesture.

Your valued comments are noted and will be shared with our team members concerned.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and look forward to welcoming you back to The Cove Rotana Resort in the future

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed in the 2 bedroom premiuim villa with private pool. The resort is really nice, the staff are very helpful and the service is great! We had a wonderful 4 days and our children really enjoyed their time at the resort.

The only disappointment was that the private pool in the villa are not heated/temperature controlled. The water was too cold and the private pool unusable. The private pool was the main reason for choosing this resort so for us it was a real disappointment.

If the pool was temperature controlled and wifi available in the villa than it would be a 5 Star Rating.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to read that you have been overall impressed with the quality of our hotel and service. However, I do apologize that you were disappointed with the pool temperature controlled and wifi. This has been addressed to concerned department head.