“Great hotel, fantastic staff.”

Al Ain Rotana Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Al Ain
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I am recently back from a week stay at the Rotana. This is a good, solid 5* hotel with excellent facilities and not one member of staff who was not polite and attentive.

The rooms are large and well kitted out with all the usual stuff. The new wing (accessed from a secondary entrance) is basically the same but with newer fittings and furnishings, although the main hotel is still excellent. Lovely big bathrooms with showers that do not require degree level education to get to the perfect temperature and electric scales so you can check your breakfast buffet damage daily.

Speaking of the food, the breakfasts are great, definitely up to standard for choice and quality. I didn't eat at the main restaurant in the evening, but Trader Vics do a good menu and again, it's decent grub. Even the pool bar food was really nice. Prices were as you would expect from this standard of hotel, but not as obscene as some I have encountered. A beer works out around £5, cocktails average about £6 or £7.

Leisure facilities also excel. There is a beautiful pool area with ample sun-beds and a good gym with a hot sauna and steam room.

Service was impeccable throughout the whole week. From reception to pool and everything between, staff were polite, helpful and cheerful. I can not commend them enough. A special mention must go to the extremely cheery Jahlila in the bar, and Lebana (I may have spelt that wrong) in the reception area, both of whom were fantastic at their jobs, but in all honesty I could probably mention most the staff in this way.

My one complaint, which sadly is a more frequent one in the pricier hotels, is that they charge for the Internet. Why, when you are paying a fortune for rooms, must they make Internet an optional and expensive extra? I don't get it. When you can get a good meal for three in town for same price as a couple of drinks in the hotel, do they feel the need to extort money off you to connect yourself to your family, friends and colleagues back home. It's unkind and blatantly money grabbing. I think the week cost about £70 - that buys me nearly four months at home - it is an outrage. And that's why it gets a 4* from me instead of a 5*.

Rant complete.

Moving on from my obvious displeasure at the www situ, it's a fantastic hotel. Stay there.

Room Tip: The new wing is, as of late 2012, slightly nicer than the original. But, there is a building site on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
AlAinRotana, General Manager at Al Ain Rotana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Sukicat5000,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay with us.

Your comments are music to our ears, it inspires us to perform even better. We will deeply treasure your appreciation towards our service as it is always our pride and joy to give only the best to our guests. Jahlila and Loubna were extremely delighted upon hearing the nice comments from you too!

Our premium rooms, located in the Wadi wing provides free internet connection. For your next visit, kindly request for the premium room and we will be more than happy to accommodate your request.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back here at Al Ain Rotana ensuring you another treasured and memorable experience.

There are newer reviews for Al Ain Rotana Hotel

Reviewed November 27, 2012

`I stayed here last year and was thrilled - sadly things have gone a little downhill since.
1. Room not ready but the hotel was full so happy to wait in bar.
2. Had to call them 45 mins later - finally room ready but no luggage.
3. Starving so went for meal. Came back - no luggage. Called reception. "Oh is yours the luggage with the...??" Clearly had no idea.
4. Went to the gym and was told off for helping self to wrong towels when no-one came to help us by cocky personal trainer.
5. No paper in morning so went to reception to ask for one - woman unsmiling, tapping on computer, no apology but did sort out paper for me. Tried to complain about gym guy but she wasn't interested and told me to go to gym to complain. Rude and abrupt.
6. Hotel full with conference but also pool area over run with loads of young irish teachers getting drunk and singing Oggy, oggy oggy at tops of voices. Two guys on pool bar completely over worked and had to que for 20 minutes to order lunch with guys pushing in left, right and centre (Not cool at all, guys)
7. Phone in room beebs randomly - reported fault 3 times - not fixed.
8. Room over looks building site which I can cope with as I'm working but ...not on a Friday or Saturday morning when it is the weekend and I want a lie in.

All of this is such a shame as there are some great staff here - the breakfast waiters are lovely, pool guys too, room cleaners, etc...Also the hotel is gorgeous. However if I'd paid for a holiday here, I'd be very disappointed.

Basically some of front desk in main reception need some work, as do management.

Room Tip: Choose a room not over looking building works
1  Thank FabDiva

Dear FabDiva,

On behalf of the whole team, let me apologize for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We appreciate your valuable remarks which will help us improve the quality of our services ensuring you and all of our guests that such incidents will never happen again.

Nevertheless, we look forward to welcoming you back at Al Ain Rotana ensuring you of a treasured and memorable experience.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We booked a little over a week early to beat the last-minute rush leading to the Islamic New Year. We made two reasonable requests: early check in (between 12 to 1pm) and a garden/pool view room. So, when we arrived there at 2pm (due to unforeseen events) on Thursday, we were surprised that our room was not ready yet.

The woman who checked us in should be taught a thing or two about hospitality. We stood in front of the reception and she didn’t even bother to call us to let us know she was ready to entertain us. When she finally had time for us, she was very cold and aloof—surely not a nice welcome one would expect from a hotel's front desk and after a long drive. What irked me more was when my husband told her about our garden/pool view request. Instead of simply saying it's not available at the moment, she went as far as to assume that we only booked that morning so they couldn't (possibly) accommodate our request. We had to correct her that we booked more than a week before and that's the only time she bothered to check her computer. No apology was offered after her wrong assumption. She told us that we needed to wait for an hour while our room (w/o the garden/pool view) was being prepared and that they'd call us as soon as it's ready.

Zest Restaurant
Lunch was a toss-up between Trader Vic's and Zest, but I liked what I saw in the sushi section so we decided on the latter. I enjoyed the mussels, smoked salmon and, of course, sushi. I headed to the main course and noticed the very limited options available. I was excited for grilled seafood so when hubby said that they have it in the main course station, I looked and looked and only saw the sorry state of the grilled mackerel. Sure, they had prawns in chili sauce and the prawn dim sum but my seafood craving was not satisfied. The restaurant was also understaffed. I called the attention of one waitress for a refill of my brother's drink and mine. She took his glass and walked away while I held mine to her.

To their credit though, most of the Zest staff (and there's very few of them) were very courteous and friendly. When it was time for dessert (again, limited options), it wasn't hard to choose from what remained on display (they're about to close the buffet stations since it was almost 3:30pm). On the plus side, I simply loved their ice cream!

After a hearty lunch, we headed back to the reception only to see our stuff still lying on the ground at the concierge so I inquired about our room. The woman there asked to see my ID. At this time, I was infuriated! First of all, she was the same person who escorted us to the check in (when we arrived) and then she was asking for my ID! And even if she forgot my face (after just over an hour), why didn't she ask what my room number was instead of asking for an ID? What was that all about? Did she think I was going to sneak into one of the rooms? So, I told her that I already presented my ID during check in along with my husband and brother. I also asked her why I would need to present my ID the second time around. Again, there was no apology offered. She just looked sheepishly at me and told me that she'd inquire if our room was ready. Turned out, our room had been ready all along. Nobody even bothered to call us (as we were told during check in) or even inquired if we wanted our stuff to be taken to the room while we were having our late lunch. This callousness and lack of attention to detail is unbecoming of a hotel of Rotana's caliber. With these initial experiences, I was starting to regret choosing Rotana over Danat Al Ain, but I was determined to stay positive and enjoy my weekend.

At past 4 pm, we finally got to our room at the new section of the hotel. It was spacious and clean. But when I opened the curtain, the site that greeted us was the busy construction nearby. Not only did they fail to provide us with a garden/pool view, they stepped it up by putting us in front of a construction site!

We originally thought of having dinner at Trader Vic's but the guys forgot to bring their jeans (it's not allowed to wear shorts there). But the manager was so kind to tell us that just for that night, he'll make an exception for us. Despite that, we decided to just order room service. I ordered lentil soup, mezze platter, which was a lot, and a frozen strawberry margarita. Hubby ordered biryani rice (mixed veggies, seafood and chicken) while my brother ordered the Rotana Burger. We ordered beer and other concoctions. The food was nice and it arrived promptly. We were so full by the time we finished. A short walk in the garden and poolside brought us to the shisha al fresco area but they were only open until 11pm. Bummer!

The next day, we had breakfast at Zest. Again, there were not that many options. But I liked their bacon, sausage, waffles and pancakes, as well as their many breads and pastries. Too bad they didn't have fresh OJ. Coffee was good and there was a wide array of fruits to choose from.

We decided to take a dip in the pool but it got so crowded fast that I ended up just lazing on the recliner. Since hubby was a Rotana Rewards card holder, we had an option for a 4pm or 6pm check out. The rest of the afternoon was uneventful. Unfortunately, when we checked out, it was the same aloof front desk woman who assisted us.

I concluded after that stay that I still prefer Danat Al Ain (formerly Intercon). There are some things that Rotana Al Ain needs to improve on. Having said that, I'm willing to give it a second chance. I'm still undecided if I would bring my visiting family and loved ones there these holidays. Nevertheless, I still have faith in Rotana (plus, the discounts are still good thanks to our card). My only hope is that next time around, all the rough edges will be smoothed out or Rotana will lose me as a client.

Tips:
• Insist on garden/pool view rooms.
• Bring your own adaptor if you don't want to pay AED 29 for one. I learned that the hard way when we were billed for it upon check out. And no one would tell you this when you make your request.
• Bring jeans (for guys) if you want to dine in Trader Vic's.
• Wake up early if you want to use the small pool as it gets really crowded around 10am when everyone's done with breakfast.

Pros:
• Location is very strategic so you are nearer to Jebel Hafeet, the zoo and other tourist destinations.
• Service is prompt (generally speaking) and most of the staff is friendly and courteous (with the exception of the few ones).

Cons:
• Zest didn't really live up to its name. And there is no fresh OJ for breakfast!
• Few beer options
• NO free wifi
• Only 1 small swimming pool that gets too crowded on busy weekends
• There is a general lack of attention to detail. Some of the staff can be very callous and borderline rude.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank heimlich01

Dear heimlich01,

The whole team and I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Al Ain Rotana is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of service and facilities. We deeply regret we fell short of our goal during your stay.

All of our guests’ comments are important to the success of Al Ain Rotana, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have personally conducted an investigation regarding these concerns and appropriate actions were taken to make sure that no guest will experience the same mishap. Our expansion project which includes new chalets and Zen the Spa is near its end guaranteeing you of a nicer view in the near future.

Kindly provide us with your contact details at alain.hotel@rotana.com for me to personally apologize to you.

Let me also thank you as well for reconsidering to stay with us despite your displeasure. We look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel as we would like to take the opportunity to provide you the level of service you expect and truly deserve from Al Ain Rotana.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is called a five star hotel but the room does not have an iron and ironing board. Instead, they have a "menu" of prices of pressing. Some of the prices are more than what I paid for the garments! When I asked for an iron, they brought a DRY iron. Who has seen one of those in this century?
Also, the hair dryer has only one temperature and the on switch has to be held in place to keep the thing going. They obviously want you to visit the onsite hairdresser.

Room service meals are super-pricey, and just forget about alcoholic beverages while you're here - way too expensive.

An talking about expensive - internet is $10 PER HOUR. Yes, I am paying that to write this review. There are discounts for more hours, but really, a week of internet costs more than 3 months of internet at home.

Other than that, the staff is nice, the breakfast is good.

If you're a woman, don't venture outside the hotel by yourself unless you like men following you around and staring at you.

Room Tip: Be sure to lock your door with the deadbolt.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
AlAinRotana, General Manager at Al Ain Rotana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Ms. Sami H,

Thank you very much for writing as a TripAdvisor review and sharing your Al Ain Rotana experience with us. Your feedback is valuable as it helps us to improve the services and facilities.

Following your dissatisfaction during the guest room experience, I believe there was a miscommunication occurred with regards to the iron and ironing board, as we do provide the steam iron upon guest requests. However, I apologize for the shortcomings and rest assured that the team concerned has been briefed on the same and to be more rigorous next time.

With regards to your comments on the internet charges, I understand your disappointment, however we do have Wadi Wing in which the rooms are provided with free wireless internet for a devise. For your next booking please inquire for the premium rooms and we’ll be more than glad to allocate you accordingly.

Ms. Sami H, once more I would like to deeply apologize for all the inconveniences you have faced at Al Ain Rotana and rest assured that we are looking into ways to enhance the service including the product knowledge of the colleagues. We still hope that this experience will not deter you from returning and that we will be able to welcoming you back to us in the nearest future.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We arrived at the Rotana very early and waited for a room to be free. Reception were extremely helpful and sympathetic to us as we had just arrived on a 5.00am flight to Dubai and came straight to Al Ain. However the room which had a lovely balcony to sit out on looked over the building works they are doing and the noise starts very early morning and goes on all day.
Therefore it was impossible to sit out. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean. The pool area was excellent and considering how busy the hotel was, never seemed to be too full. The hotel was in a good location. Trader Vic's did excellent food and we eat there most evenings.
The buffet breakfast was outstanding. The pool bar was good and the barman very friendly and knowledgeable about the area.
Would we return - maybe when the building work is finished which I would think will not be for a few months yet.

Room Tip: overlooking the pool area
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MiniMx

Dear MaxineW,

Warm greetings from Al Ain!

Thank you for staying at the Al Ain Rotana during October and for taking the time send us a TripAdvisor review.

Firstly, I am happy to learn that you generally enjoyed your stay with us, however I was disappointed to read that your visit was tainted due to the construction works going on in the new extension of the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience occurred. We’ll update your profile in our system in order to avoid this kind of inconvenience in your next stay and therefore, we would appreciate if you could make your future bookings through alain.hotel@rotanac.com and we’ll do our outmost to accommodate your inquiry and allocate you to a quite room.

Moreover, I would like to thank you on behalf of the management team for highlighting the positive aspects within the hotel and commenting on the colleagues who have provided you an exceptional service. I will definitely pass on your regards to my team.

We are very much looking forward for your return back to Al Ain Rotana in the nearest future.

Wishing you advance Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2012

oh my goodness..if there IS a negative, i'm hard pressed to find one.
spotless..staff so attentive you feel as if you are their ONLY guest!
they recognize you, ask you how you are and if there is anything they can do for you..
from the front desk to the maintenance people..every single one of them is kind, polite and eager to help you..
one particular person that stands out over and over week after week is
Richard at the concierge desk. there isn't anything he won't do to make sure you are comfortable!
i miss Richard and the rest of the staff at the Al Ain Rotana!! i WILL return

Room Tip: it is a very popular hotel. if you need a more quiet place do not pick a room that faces the lobby.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Cleantravel,

Season’s greetings from Al Ain!

It was my great pleasure reading your TripAdvisor review comments in regards to your recent experience at Al Ain Rotana Hotel, and I’m delighted to learn that we left a great impression by providing you our warmest hospitality and great services.
Thank you very much indeed for commenting on my colleagues and especially on Richard who has been exceptional in exceeding your expectations, I will be more than glad to relay your positive comments to all of my colleagues.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back to our Oasis of Al Ain in the near future to once more share the treasured time with you. On behalf of Al Ain Rotana team, we wish you and your families peace, love and joy this Holiday Season!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel 5 years ago and love it! So returning was exciting, especially as I found everything as just as good as I remembered. The pool offered a good variety of drinks and we were updated to a deluxe room. I loved the fruit left in our room and the selection of 'extras' in the minibar. Our room was spacious and very comfortable and the check in staff were helpful while booking us a table for Trader Vic's that same evening. I also had a back massage in the spa, which was just what I needed to really relax! I have no real complaints, but I know that the hotel is expanding, so maybe some more deck chairs around the pool wouldn't go a miss!

Room Tip: We stayed at the 'newest' part of the hotel, which has it's own reception desk, making y...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
AlAinRotana, General Manager at Al Ain Rotana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear MiliPop,

Thank you for your time in posting a review on your hotel experience. It gives me joy to know that for the second time, we have lived up to your expectation! I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team and they were very proud to have served you. In fact, they are already looking forward for your next visit!

Our hotel expansion is nearly finished and we assure you that on your next visit with your friends and family, you will enjoy additional services that we will be offering. We have new spacious rooms and chalets that are perfect for your getaway!

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcoming you back in our property, ensuring you of another treasured and memorable experience with us.

With kind regards,