“poco's”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Al Ain
Kingston, Canada
“poco's”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying for a month at the hilton hotel. We had the opportunity to take part in a SA Pool party on april 14th, 2011. African party. The team mentioned how they should invite more tourists to there country and welcome them. Well. This is not the fact. I asked for a complamentary drink and they refused. They treated me with disrespect. ( I was not enebreated or had been drinking at all) I ventured to Poco's a local watering hole. Hole it is. They again refused to serve me and when I asked why there response was well your not local. I was offended and walked out leaving my friends behind finding a ride home.. If you want people to visit and stay in Al Ain maybe the establishment should treat visitors with more respect.
Even if they are not locals.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Hilton Al Ain, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Dear dee_one_11,

Thank you for giving us your feedback on Tripadvisor, it is indeed appreciated.

To say the least I was surprised and troubled to read your comment about your experience at our South African Freedom Celebration and in Paco’s Bar. This is indeed not the image we want our guests to be presented to.
I have personally followed up with our Food & Beverage Manager to make sure we avoid a bad experience like this in the future.

Once again I would like to apologies for your experience and personally guarantee this will not happen again. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

With kind regards,
Adham El Sebaey

PO Box 1333 - Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Tel: +971 3 768 66 66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

I enjoyed my stay very much. people were friendly, with the other guests the contact was very good as well. There were several occasions to have lively dialogue on life in The Emirates. Swimming pools were clean and with lots of possibilities where there was a logical split between the “Family part” and the more “grown-ups” part. As I already stated above, for me it is important what standards are kept for the restaurants and I was gladly surprised about the wide choice in different cuisines and the good menu’s available.

Room Tip: Ask availability and make your wishes, personnel++
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

My friend and I went from Abu Dhabi for a weekend to Hilton Al Ain after my reading all the reviews on this site. The idea was to relax and just recharge. Despite a lot of reviews mentioning that it's too noisy at night or that the property is too old, we decided to venture out & am so glad we did! Our room was lovely, large and we had two big beds. There were all the amenities one expects of such hotels. The balcony looked upon the pool area which was beautiful. Calm and peaceful during the day and buzzing at night! There are quite a few restaurants to choose from, we ate at Pacos (Mexican). The food was amazing but the service could do with a lot of improvement. Breakfast was included with the roomrate & luckily they serve till 11 on Saturdays. The breakfast buffet was good. I especially enjoyed the omlette I requested. The pancakes were surprisingly not the best but overall, it's a good deal. The hotel is calm & peaceful by day & by evening the whole place comes alive. Wonderful live music playing in the lobby cafe (and yes you can hear it in your room) & Arabic music being played outoors. It can get much for some but I was so relaxed, this just added to the ambience of being on a mini break. Love the lighting in the pool area & the option to eat outdoors at Pacos. I would strongly reccomend this hotel. It might be one of the oldest but it's still one of the best Al Ain has to offer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lash7
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2011

Nice hotel, fine rooms.
Don't miss out the Italian restaurant for a romantic evening or spicy food in the Mexican restaurant with some nice cold beer. Or enjoy a evening on the lawn with some barbeque.

The gym is really good and you need that after those nice evenings in the restaurants

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

The weather, hotel, pool, food, people... Everything was just amazing!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

I don't normally write reviews, but this time I felt like I needed to share my experience to warn others. We stayed in Al Ain last week and I have chosen Hilton as a brand I know and trust and also based on my experience of Hilton Fujeirah last month. But it couldn't have been more different than lovely Fujeirah! We arrived after 3.30 pm tired after the journey from Dubai to find out that (a) duplex villa that we booked and paid upfront for a month in advance was not available and (b) even the room they offered us was not ready. They have actually DOWN graded us, a family with 2 little kids, without making it clear. We wanted accommodation with a kitchennette and brought our food to make for our fussy children but we ended up in a huge but absolutely character-less suite with one normal bedroom and one gigantic room with 3 sofas and not much else. That was after 1.5h of waiting in the cafeteria and running up a bill on icecream and snacks there (the manager offered to pay but then gave us a call and said we are liable for 60% of the bill there - nice one!) I have never seen so many people unhappy and arguing and complaining at the front desk, they were just swamped by angry guests. I can't say anything about food, the breakfast was average, service virtually non-existent. My husband and I went out and when we arrived back, the key wouldn't work. We didn't want to make noise and wait the children and babysitter, so went to the desk to cut a new card. That didn't work either! after the second trip, a front office staff came upstairs to the room wondering why we were unhappy (that is at 11pm, not able to go to bed...!). it took him 2 attempts and a master key to finally get us in our room.
The duty manager, Mr Hassan, who didn't make clear we were downgraded to a cheaper room, initially offered us a free breakfast (which was included and paid for already) or dinner (which we couldn't take, but he wouldn't have made us pay for it, no doubt!). Finally, there was a query over a room service bill which was poorly printed and ilegible. A shift manager from the restaurant came out, and god he STUNK of booze. It was like he was partying long and hard the night before (Friday) and absolutely reeked of alcohol, it was just disgusting... in a muslim country... I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, I am not going back in a hurry and would consider Danar or Rotana if I am ever in Al Ain again. Having said that, I can't recomment Hilton Fujeirah enough, as I said above, we had a totally lovely experience there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
, Operations Manager at Hilton Al Ain, responded to this review, March 13, 2011
Dear DXBHackett,

Thank you for the feedback given here on TripAdvisor.

First of all, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay.

Unfortunately you visited us during a very challenging weekend with several large events on-going, and I am afraid that we did not manage these challenges very well. The unavailability of the room type you had booked is just one example of issues that we unfortunately experienced this weekend.

Having carefully read thru your comments, I would very much like to speak to you in person; to obtain some more details (especially since certain comments are of a very serious nature) but more important to personally apologize and see how we can repair your trust in us. If this would be acceptable to you, please write to the address below and I will be contacting you shortly.

Again, please accept my apologies and hope to hear from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Mikael Petersson
Operations Manager

PO Box 1333 - Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Email: mikael.petersson@hilton.com
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

We've stayed at this Hilton on several occasions. It is a pleasant hotel set in nice grounds. The staff are always amazingly pleasant and helpful and the food is great. However they really do need to refurb the rooms, furniture is looking really tatty and the decor is so dated. It really lets the rest of the hotel down as in all other aspects it represents real value for money and a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hilton Al Ain, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Dear HazAl6,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Al Ain and for taking the time to share your feedback via tripadvisor. We appreciate any commentary made by our guests and continuously seek to achieve the highest quality standards.

With regards to the décor and furnishing of our guestrooms, I am pleased to advise you that we are currently planning to carry out upgrading work of the existing facilities in all the hotel guestrooms.

The feedback you made on the quality of service that you have received during your stays in the hotel, are very much appreciated, and I will make sure to share it with all departments.

Once again I would like to express my appreciation of your review and if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,