“Excellent stay on the mountain...”

Mercure Grand Jebel Hafeet Al Ain
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Al Ain
Reviewed February 7, 2014

For a relaxing weekend away from Abu Dhabi I would recommend this hotel located almost at the top of Jabel Hafeet. The hotel is very 1980's chic but that shouldn't put you off. The views were amazing, the service was pleasant and efficient and the room was comfortable and clean with a little balcony overlooking the pool. I would also say the pillows were not to my liking but certainly not a show stopper for a x1 night stay. It is a long way from Al Ain town center so you will be limited to the hotel's dining options but the food was reasonably priced and there was a good selection at the evening buffet in the main restaurant (there was also an alternative option at the pool we didn't sample). There are other restaurants + KFC in the Green Mubazzarah park at the foot of the mountain, along with BBQ, camping and picnic areas. I will be returning in the heat of the summer for the view alone.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view with balcony
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemary T
Hani A, General Manager at Mercure Grand Jebel Hafeet Al Ain, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Ms Rose Mary

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Al Ain Jebel Hafeet. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Grand Jebel Hafeet Al Ain

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We were searching for a place to stay in Al Ain and my wife booked this hotel thinking we would save some money rather than going to the Hilton. The drive there was spectacular. Stunning scenery. The location of this hotel is everything. The hotel itself is a bit dated. The concierge and room service staff were good.

We expected the food to be bad due to the reviews and the impersonal cut and paste responses from the management there; and it was. This is potentially a very good hotel but it will never be so if it can't figure out how to make something as simple as hummus and falafel. Stop somewhere in Al Ain and bring your own food. There are one or two snack bars on the mountain too, but you are better off stopping at a market in Al Ain well before you drive up the mountain.

The most bizarre part of the stay was how they refuse to put regular complimentary coffee in all the rooms, it's decaf only,and if you ask for regular coffee, they try to charge you; a strange and petty policy.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank estebe h
Hani A, General Manager at Mercure Grand Jebel Hafeet Al Ain, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Al Ain Jebel Hafeet. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I just returned from Al Ain, having spent our two nights at the Mercure.
I had read all the reviews, good and bad, before making the booking at the hotel, which I chose for the location. The main areas of complaints I read about were the distance to town, the pillows, and the food.
On arrival, being prepared for anything, we were not surprised when the only receptionist disappeared without a word in front of our eyes and before we had time to talk to him.
After a few minutes, the concierge who had noticed what was happening went on the look-out for him, but without success. At least we were not completely forgotten, as RAI kept talking to us until the receptionist came rushing back with some money he handed to other customers who were waiting for him on the side. We had been offered a 12:00 early check-in by email, as we were landing in Abu Dhabi at 5:30am, and were given a room on arrival at 11am.
We didn't eat at the hotel asides from breakfast, which we found adequate and I was pleased to see the fresh fruit offering, as some reviews described only tinned fruit being available.
We too found the pillows impossible to sleep on, and the first night I slept on a rolled-up towel.
By the second night, as we were chatting to a nice young woman of Moroccan origin who worked at the coffee shop, she indicated that slimmer pillows were available on demand, which we then organised at the reception desk.
Overall we found that our experience at the hotel was positivment pleasant, and some people (like the concierge RAI) were just wonderful in creating a true connection rather than feeling like a room number.
We found that the general problem of staff and taxi drivers in Al Ain was not a lack of goodwill but a lack of training. In addition many have different backgrounds and languages, leading to breakdowns in communication.
The average taxi fare between Al Ain and the hotel is 45 dirhams. One driver took the longest road from downtown to the hotel, and the fare was over 60 dirhams. Having a good map of Al Ain is a great help to avoid such things, and unfortunately the hotel provides one without much details.
Eventually the wonderful and extremely knowledgeable young women at the Sheikh Zayed Palace museum, Maryam and Mahra, gave us the excellent 'Al Ain city map' from the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority, a great help. I believe that these maps are also available at the Zoo and the very interesting Al Ain museum.

Room Tip: Pool rooms have the best view, but corner rooms have the best layout and are larger
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cobaltbue

Dear Madam

Reviewed January 25, 2014

To be clear - I did not stay at this hotel, but it is an awesome day trip destination!

Looking like the architecture set for "Thunderbirds are go", the circa 1980's Hollywood futuristic-glitz is simply wonderful. Stepping back to the kitsch heyday of Dallas-esque refinement was an unintended highlight of the day. Loved it. The position of the hotel a-high on Jebel Hafeet is breathtaking. The views are awe inspiring.

A lazy hamburger looking over the valley as the sun recedes for the day, and watching the colours of the desert change with good friends, is just the sort of retreat and rejuvenation one can thoroughly enjoy.

1  Thank tropical-annie

Dear Madam

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your visit at the Mercure Al Ain Jebel Hafeet. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We were a group of 15 people travelling together and booked 6 rooms. Our room choices and preferences were catered by the front desk staff. For what we paid (around 100 USD per night/room) we were happy with the rooms. The beds were comfortable, balcony had great views and the room was clean and tidy.
The location is incredible. At night the hotel was surrounded by clouds. We drove down to the hot spring located at green mubazara downhill, which took us 15 mins max. The summit of jebel hafeet was another 5-10 mins drive uphill.
Breakfast wasn't really worth what we paid for. The spead wasn't particularly impressive and the food quality was average.
Overall the place is good value for money and nice for short trips.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Hani A, General Manager at Mercure Grand Jebel Hafeet Al Ain, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Mr Dan,

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I booked this hotel for the second time, convinced that I'd be happier about it. This was not the case. yes, it's a great view, rooms are average, service was bad, food was bad, prices are high for what you get.

As mentioned in other reviews, the food "could do better", it could do a lot better. We ate dinner at the buffet and we found ourselves needing to be "creative" on what we brought back to the table. We ended up making sandwhiches from items offered, which then led to to a discussion of school lunch when we were kids, which are priced under 5AED. Our dinner buffet was 125AED, plus we had to pay for water, juice, or drinks. Juice was the same price as a beer?? Walking out of dinner that night I was upset with what we paid for a sandwhich and some hummos. Plus, you are so far up the mountain that it isn't really an option to drive 30-45 minutes to grab dinner, they are clearly taking advantage of their guests when it comes to their F&B.

The bed..beds are great. The pillows are like rocks. They are big which is great, but if you use them your neck is in such an akward position that you can't sleep. I brought my own pillows this time, (I haven't done this since I was a kid) and slept great. I warned all my friends who were with to do the same thing, they didn't. I slept great, they didn't.

I will make it point to not stay here again and I will make sure I tell all my friends. If you do choose to stay here, pack some food and bring your own pillows

Dear Ma'am,

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed here this last weekend.

The good: Views are outstanding. They gave us a corner room because we had an infant and asked if we needed any extra bedding for her. Room was very big and open with a small balcony. Very nice room with all the amenities as expected.

The Bad: Service is few and far between. Often had to ring the bell several times to get someone at the front desk to come out. Restaurants are overpriced and the food is horrible. To get service you had to wave like a stranded sailor. You are trapped at the top due to a 15-20 minute drive back down the mountain and then back up if you want to go in to town for some good food.

The worst: When I went to check out there was an additional forty dirhams added to my bill. Since I paid in full before checking in, I assumed the internet rate was what I would pay. When I asked why the difference, the front desk person continued to say, "maybe it was our mistake, but I will just charge your credit card." This was certainly not about the extra 10 bucks but more about there was no answer to my question why.

We will never go back. Not worth it. This was the first time we stayed outside the Al Ain Hilton, which we will be going back to again soon. If we want the view, we can drive up and take pictures at the several viewing areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. View may not be as good but much more privacy.

Dear Sir,