“Absolutely Beautiful”
Review of White Sands Resort

White Sands Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Amagansett
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed at the White Sands for Labor Day weekend as a last minute idea. Usually places require a 4 night minimum, which we was unable to commit to prior to driving out, so when we arrived in Amagassett/Montauk, there was not much availability. We went to numerous places prior to finding White Sands. It is off the main road, so you don't see it unless you drive in. The front desk told us they had one room left because of a cancellation. We looked at the room (it was expensive), but took it immediately. The room was nice and clean with a semi private deck that overlooked the ocean. This was exactly what we were looking for! We took the room for just one night, which was not allowed at any other places we went to...this was not needed though, because we ended up staying for 3 nights because we loved it so much. The rooms are very clean and the grounds are immaculate. I had the best nights sleep there - almost 10 hours each night!!! The beds are so comfortable. It was so relaxing. The resort provides you with beach towels, chair and umbrella. I look forward to going back to White Sands next summer!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 14, 2012

My first time to Hamptons and can't believe over $499 per night at a hotel that doesn't even provide breakfast, or staff that happily and willingly provides recommendations to breakfast, lunch, or seafood places nearby. "We gave you the book," we were told. We requested assistance to find someone to build us a bonfire for a birthday wish at night (it's legal here if done the right way) and willing to pay an obscene amount of money to accomplish that, but hotel couldn't assist. What is special about going to Hamptons is to feel like you somehow blend in at a place where everyone else has homes and yachts. This property did nothing to even make us feel comfortable as guests here, even requiring us to pay in full upon CHECK IN. What's up with THAT? We knew something was up w/that when they called themselves a resort and offer not so much as a bag of peanuts and no assistance in finding food or grocery stores. They must have made us pay upon checkin to avoid guests who check in and want to check out immediately.

Room Tip: find another property
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank globaltravelkid
omenvi959, General Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

This comment calls our attention about what some people write in here. In the first place, we do not have any room that costs $499.00. Our rates for the high season are: $175.00, $210.00, $290.00, $330.00, $350.00 and $550.00. As we advertise, we are a small, clean and simple hotel on the ocean, we do not have any concierge services as Mr. Lawrence B expected. That is left for big chain hotels which are not existent on this area however,we try to be as helpful as we can with recommendations. Regarding the bonfire, they are not permitted without certain regulations points from local laws and we are not the ones that grant them. We feel that there is a misunderstanding here. To our knowledge, there are not service people that build bonfires on the beach. Our feeling is that there is a sense of entitlement of many people that come to this area and demand to be treated like royalty only because they are "in the Hamptons" which is a normal beautiful place dedicated to people that enjoy nature and the beach. And the last point that we want to clarify is that we DO NOT require payment on the check in, we simply request an authorization to the credit card company of the room charges that are charged at the check out like every hotel does.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

At White Sands, you live and breathe the ocean and the beach. It is clean and well kept. My family has been going for more than 3 decades. Unfortunately, it has become much too expensive and the management became impersonal and almost unfriendly. It's sad.....

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank stj0hnvisit0r
Reviewed June 19, 2011

This past weekend is the second time i've stayed in the past few months. I travel to the hamptons for business on the weekends.
The first time i stayed I booked the large efficiency which was beach front. I arrived late and they were very accommodating even though their office closed earlier. The rooms are huge and clean and very comfortable. The beds are memory foam, between that and the sound of the ocean Its by far the best nights sleep i've had in a very long time. Unfortunately both of my visits there was poor weather but It was so nice to have a comfortable place to stay.
The past time i went I stayed in one of the apartments which was also huge. It wasn't on the beach it was right off the main highway. Everything was super clean and comfortable.
My only semi-issue is that there is no emergency help number to contact anyone if there is a problem. ( I thought i had lost my room key and there was no way for me to contact anyone for help -- it ended up falling off my keychain outside my door) I wouldn't want it to even seem as if I'm complaining because I love staying here and everyone is very nice and helpful!
I'm actually planning on booking here for the rest of my trips for the summer! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Always get the beach front room! its worth the $$
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank megan1130
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We just returned from a 5 night stay and our first time at White Sands. We stayed in the beautiful ocean front suite. It was very clean ( I'm picky) and had a beautiful two sided deck that was very large. The beds were super comfortable. The courtyard is meticulously maintained as well as the beautiful garden in the front that shows pride of ownership. While it has no pool, it is a plus for people who want a more relaxed quiet getaway as there tends to be no small children. The cleaning staff was superb. The beach is steps away.
We met families who have gone there for 20 yrs so that has to say something. This family will definitly be back!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maxmicliz
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We just returned from a long weekend at the White Sands and since I hadn't seen any recent reviews I thought I would update. We thought the place was great. As others have noted, the beach is fantastic, and just steps from the rooms. The motel itself is small, which we liked, and immaculate, with a lovely garden. It is very peaceful and quiet -- we did not find the walls to be thin and heard very little noise from room to room. It has a very low-key quality and while there isn't staff to set up lounges on the beach or serve people, that was part of the charm in our view. It is truly easy living at the beach in the best sense of the word. It's in a small residential neighborhood, which also adds to a unique and homey feel.

We had a large efficiency, which was furnished simply but very pleasantly in tones of blue, with a small couch, light wood furniture and a modern kitchenette -- great for simple breakfasts. There was plenty of room for clothes and while the bathroom was small, it was clean and well-maintained. The bed was a Temperpedic -- very comfortable, with pretty good reading lights (which a surprising number of expensive hotels don't have). There isn't any AC, but it's actually not necessary. During a horrific heat spell, the room, with ceiling fan and open (screened) door and window was quite cool and comfortable for sleeping.

The beach chairs they provide are a bit basic, but more than adequate, and we had brought our own anyway. They provide good umbrellas, plenty of towels and we didn't feel the lack of any comforts. As others noted, the cleaning staff is excellent, and the rooms are kept very well.

This is a great find for the area -- reasonably priced compared to many other places far less pleasant -- and we plan to return as soon as we can.

As for being out of the way, which some others noted, a 5 to 10-minute drive gets you to East Hampton, Amagansett town or Montauk, with plenty of restaurants, bars and other nightlife. So it's the best of both -- a quiet spot, but close by action if you want it. That said, this wouldn't be a good spot without a car.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank luxlovernyc
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed for three nights at the White Sands in late September. The room had a fridge, flat screen TV, and a two burner cooktop. The setting is beautiful - on a georgous stretch of beach on Napeague.

The room was clean and the staff was friendly. There is a nice patio area that has lounge chairs, tables and barbeques.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amagansett
Sea Crest on the Ocean
Ocean Vista Resort
#3 of 6 in Amagansett
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa
Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina

Been to White Sands Resort? Share your experiences!