“The worst hotel I ever stayed at.”

Imperial Botanical Beach Hotel
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
“The worst hotel I ever stayed at.”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Arrived in the afternoon. The receptionist was very unwelcoming. I had to argue that I had already fully paid for my room and fortunately had printed the confirmation. Then I was asked if the driver who had dropped me off was staying with me in the hotel. The explanation was that I had to pay more money because I was not allowed visitors in the room. Went to have buffet dinner in the evening, the food was basic, but the bad bit was the unwelcoming atmosphere presented by the staff. Met the receptionist who checked me in on the way to my room and was asked if the person who dropped me off had left the hotel. I didn't quite understand this anti-visitor obsession. During the day I walked to the shops and had bought a bottle of water and yes I had a long argument at the security gate because I was not allowed any drink or water from outside. Had to be rescued by the security supervisor. The buffet offering on the second night was exactly the same as the previous night. The following morning the breakfast was cold and frankly well below the standard expected for the amount of money charged. The facilities are very good. The hotel management can improve by investing in training their frontline staff to smile and be courteous. Charges are excessive for the services rendered.

Kay
London, UK

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here in February 2013 for one night. Chose this hotel because of its location close to airport.

Poor service, old rooms, strange smell in the whole hotel and strange taste of the food in the restaurant. It seemed as if the cooks washed the vegetables with bleach.

Had to ask three times about our dinner at the reception.

The territory is quite untidy. The management must have done their worst not to get the advantage of the location on the lake Victoria and the size of the hotel.

Seems like this hotel is still in the 80's.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bubinskiy

Travelers are raving about these Entebbe hotels

København, Danmark
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed here for 9 days on a business trip.
The room was big and very clean and the bathroom also very ok.
WIFI was not working in the first room I had on ground floor, but I then moved upstairs and had acceptable connection.
The food was not good and fairly expensive compared the quality. However, there was big selection for breakfast (only no cheese) but especially on days with many people, you had to come fairly early as otherwise the buffet table was almost empty.
The garden was nice and the view to the Great Lake likewise. Good swimming pool.
I find the prices of this hotel too high for the service level given.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. I just did not like that when sitting in the hallway doing some work (as this is where internet was best) I had to overhear a very unpleasant discussion between two managers on a member of staff - mentioned by name, but who was not on duty at the time - who they thought was not performing well and apparently did not trust. Guests should not have to listen to this in a public area of the hotel!
Overall stay was ok. The hotel is very conveniently placed closed to where I had to go and also fairly close to the airport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night and from the moment I checked I felt that I made a bug mistake, I wish I could undo it. It smelled so horrible meldow and sweat smell all over the damn place. The AC in the room which is a split unit does not work well, too small for the room size and does not cool at all, I had it at the lowest setting and the room was unbearable during the night or day to stay in, and it smelled like the cleaning staff were sweating their **** off in the room, when I arrived to my room AC was not on, at least switch the AC on a couple of hours for the next guest. Managers had attitude problem even they try to hide it under sneaky politeness. Hotel staff were nice that was the only positive thing I have to say.
Food tasted like ***** and it really smelled bad could not eat it, don't get me started at coffee I walked all over town looking for a decent cup of coffee and did not find any, it all tasted like *****, makes flogers coffee looks great next to all coffee I had in Uganda (knowing that I think flogers coffee tastes like cat pee).
The whole food menu in short sucks, I ended up eating packed biscuits for the period, the food had a bad smell also it could be some kind of spices they used but around lunch and dinner time the whole hotel smell was unbearable.

In short if I ever conf back to enttebe again I will rather sleep in the street than getting a room in this dump, and the prices were hugely overrated compared with what you get.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank AK2013
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have been twice in this hotel. The first time it was in August and now (October) for two nights both of them. The rooms from the new wing are nice, clean and the pillows are good enough compared to the pillows from other hotels in Uganda.
The food is always the same everyday. However prices are much higher than the service they provide. The price should include Internet, whose wifi only works in the lobby and restaurant. They can provide a cable, though.
Last time in August all the cardio machines from the gym and the lift were not working. This time at least I could use the running machine but the lift is still not working.
The infrastructure is quite old, specially the restaurant has an old design, only the new rooms have a nice design and are huge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Although I had seen early negative reviews, I had to stay there for a workshop. It turned out fine. The location and grounds are very nice, just next to the botanical gardens. My room was nicely furnished, comfortable and spotlessly clean, with a nice bathroom and flatscreen tv.
Our package included half board for $120 a night which I felt as reasonable. The food is good and plentiful, working one a buffet service basis. There is also a large indoor swimming pool, which seems very clean and a sauna, although I didn't try the latter. There are birds and monkeys in the hotel garden, which is a nice place for pre-dinner drinks!
I would stay there if I was sure to get a similar room.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms facing the inner courtyard are fine.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hogan_bxl
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I did not find this place as horrible as others. I have stayed here before, not by choice, but convenience.

Pros: Rooms and bathrooms were clean, beds were comfortable, room was huge, quiet place, breakfast was fine. People were friendly with a smile.

Cons: Western prices, but not western service. There was no shampoo in the bathroom. The sinks were clogged.(not a problem for one night). If you pay by credit card, there is 5% charge. But if you decide to pay cash using Shillings you pay a hefty exchange rate which I think is extortion. I also don't get it, why would they want to knock on the door at 8:20 am to clean it while I am still recovering from jet lag? The attendant was surprised when I told him to come back later as check out is at 10 am. It took some convincing..

Would I stay here? Not by choice. If it were cheaper yes, but not at this hefty rates.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business