“Surprisingly nice”

Full-Day Bird Watching Guided Tour To Lutembe Bay Entebbe from Kampala
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Entebbe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Uganda Wildlife Education Centre popularly called Entebbe Zoo is located 15 minutes from Entebbe International Airport, 36 kilometers from Uganda's capital Kampala. The centre cares for rescued animals, often victims of bush meat trade, habitat destruction, or illegal trade. Individuals that can make it in the wild, are released back. We don't buy animals nor use them for entertainment, but rather as ambassadors to help save and maintain those in the wild, wild! Listen to interpretative talks from our; keepers, guides work with animals every day. You can sign up as an animal surrogate mother for a day, participate in behind the scene experiences or simply spend a night in our hostel or African cottages as you await your flight or meeting! Our facility is ideal for both short and long stay/ visits, whilst in Uganda. Secure day and night parking available or quick access to public transport/ taxi is just a call away. We are always thrilled to receive your at UWEC Zoo, Entebbe.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I don't tend to like "zoos" and the thought of one in Uganda did not sound promising, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the animals all looked healthy and well cared for, and it was actually a pleasant way to spend an afternoon out of Kampala. This is a good place to visit for expats or for families since it's a pleasant place to be.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I've visited the park with my colleague on a trip to Uganda. We did not expect anything much but we ended up having quiet a good fun at this park. You can see many animals, monkeys wondering around, giraffes and if you really lucky, the white rhino too. Unfortunately when we were there rhinos were shy and hiding :(. I loved the walk around the park, especially that very old tree in the middle.. Some hundreds years old. Amazing nature, very nice weather as you basically are on the equator. A local girl came and brought us around, explained what they do and some interesting facts about the animals. Many school children from all around Uganda, they were all so cute.
A small shop is located just next to the entrance where you can buy local artifacts as well as books and as far as I remember there is also a restaurant inside. The park is just next to Lake Victoria. Overall I really loved that afternoon and I recommend it to everyone who wants to spend an enjoyable afternoon in Entebbe.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I visited the Wildlife in November and liked the way the animals are looked after there. It was very interesting for me.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

It's a great way to spend an afternoon in Entebbe, while you wait for a flight. It is near the airport and has quite a few animals in natural habitats. Unlike the US zoos with fake rocks and scenery, the Entebbe zoo is more like they just decided to fence in part of Africa! The animals are in with their native plants and many of the animals are rescued from poachers I think. The lion is very old and thin, but the other animals look very good and it's a beautiful place to walk around, located on L. Victoria. You can see groups of animals living together which is nice also. The one exhibit shows giraffe, ostrich, gazelle, etc. all in same fenced area. The crested crane is in with the cape buffalo, and other animals also are grouped together. Nice, smaller and very relaxed zoo.

5  Thank bglenn82
Reviewed January 14, 2013

There isn't too much to see and of course, seeing animals in cages is not like a safari experience, but it is something of interest to do in Entebbe