“Great staff, beautiful view of Lake Victoria and peaceful surroundings”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Entebbe
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Beijing
“Great staff, beautiful view of Lake Victoria and peaceful surroundings”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

In seven days had been on five flights, in three countries and the next day would be on four flights on my way back to the States. Was looking for a place close to Entebbe Airport to relax

The staff, from the initial greeting through every interaction, was friendly and helpful (special mention of Sharon). Great dinner and breakfast buffet topped off with a beautiful view of the sunrise over Lake Victoria http://instagram.com/p/n9oKb8iBt3/ . Next time, I will arrive earlier in the day so I have more time to enjoy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I've stayed in a number of Entebbe hotels with widely varying levels of quality experienced, but the Protea delivers a consistently good product. It's literally right outside Entebbe Airport and Lake Victoria forms an impressive part of the back garden. Rooms are nice, very spacious and well-equipped. The WiFi is okay, it often cuts out mid-browse but I've had far worse in so-called superior hotels. We asked for an early breakfast the day we were leaving and this was facilitated with no fuss at all by the young lady who checked us in. The hotel also availed the use of its airport van to take my group to a local restaurant for a small fee, then came to pick us up again. The staff are very friendly and attentive, which is always something one appreciates. This hotel is definitely one of Entebbe's nicest.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have been to Protea Entebbe with family for more than 6 times now but every time I go, I find an improvement in their service, and food ensemble. The only issue that upsets me is that after the meal, the waiters are hesitant to serve one their much loved house coffee or chocolate, well I always get my way around it and I get it at no extra cost! Bravo to the managers who are always trying their best to accept their management's mistake! And improvise instead!

The food is good, the service and the environment is so welcoming, we find our selves driving back to Entebbe to sit at this hotel. It has stolen our hearts away from Kampala. I hope they keep reinventing the place and have some Sunday and Saturday activities for the little children as well!

Room Tip: I can not say much for the rooms, I have not used them, but knowing the brand of Protea am sure they...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Very close to the airport but no noise from the planes. So extremely convenient if just overnighting between flights.
The suites are enormous, the normal rooms a decent size and well equipped and comfortable.
Looks a lot older the the few years we were told it had been open though and the bathrooms in particular showed some sign of wear and could have been a bit cleaner..... The second time we stayed here our room was next to some machine room which was very noisy all night, not ideal unfortunately but the first night it was very quiet.
The view over the lake is lovely but the lake was very dirty and smelly when we were there, I don't know if that is normal or not. Lots and lots of insects too, nothing the hotel can do about that but expect lots of them, they are lake flies though not mosquitoes which is good!
The staff were friendly but the service was pretty indifferent, especially compared to the incredible service we had elsewhere in Uganda.
The food was ok but pretty ordinary especially for a vegetarian.
All in all, fine for staying overnight between flights as convenient, comfortable and safe but not a destination itself!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Onelifeliveit2
Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2014

The hotel still had some kind of outside construction going on when we were there in February, 2014. Our room with king bed was quite large & had an outside deck...our friends had a room with 2 double beds and it was quite small with no deck...same layout, just smaller. Hotel is VERY close to airport so it is convenient to stay a night or two while in transit elsewhere. Very nice pool and pool bar. My husband had a massage and it was only $18 for an entire hour...he said it was a great massage!

Room Tip: The hotel is circular on the outside, but inside there are a few corners in the circular hallway...i...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Best location to stay the night before if you catching the early flights out of Kampala Uganda. Rooms are very spacious, modern and clean. The beach view is stunning. Tranquil outdoor terrace overlooking the beach. Restaurant serves decent food.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mohamed E
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Having stayed at the Protea hotel in Kampala, we decided to stop in to this one when we arrived very early in Entebbe for the flight home. First off, the hotel itself is very beautiful and looks pretty new, but I think it's been around for a while. The staff checked our luggage in so we were free to walk around the resort and have lunch. We were happy to find a table on the outside patio area, and the buffet was actually very good. Contrary to some other reviews I found the buffet to have a good selection and was well stocked. In fact, there were too many dessert choices and I wasn't hungry enough to take one of each, although they all looked really good.

We were there so long that we wound up eating dinner there as well. It's true that service is a bit slow, but I guess having been to the Caribbean a number of times (and feeling like I was there with the sun and surf nearby) it didn't bother me much.

I'd definitely go back again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business