“A magical experience”

Ranked #12 of 52 Entebbe B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“A magical experience”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Upon our arrival at Gately Inn we were greeted by a charming staff member who immediatley made us feel welcome and at ease.It was a great check in, very informative and helpful. We were taken to our room which was so beutiful and unique. The attention to detail and the overall feel of the room is luxurious yet not ostentatious as we found at some other hotels.We had been travelling quite a lot and had some large valuable items with us, at many of the hotels we visited these items didnt fit in the room safe and the constant anxiety about the saftey of our possessions prevented us from enjoying ourselves fully. At Gatley however when we mentioned our problem they immediatley offered to store our items for us in their own safe. We appreciated this so, much as it really allowed us to relax. The landscaping in the hotel gardens was marvelous and I often found myself wandering around the gardens feeling like a little girl in a story book world. The food was awe-inspiring, I live in Thailand and the food at Gately is practically indistinguishable from the real thing. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the management really went out of thier way to accomodate us and make us feel special. All in all it was an amazing experience and we hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bex T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Berkeley, California
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I WAS ROBBED IN MY LOCKED ROOM AS I SLEPT AT THIS HOTEL!

I checked in to this hotel for a one-night's stay after arriving on the late flight to Entebbe airport with plans to travel up to Kampala the next day.

I checked in, was given a free upgrade (very nice) settled in took a shower, put in my earplugs to get a good night's sleep after the long trip from the US.

I awoke at 4am to find my room FULL of police men and hotel staff! Shocking to say the least! Apparently, men had entered my room WHILE I WAS SLEEPING and carried off all of my valuables. They led me outside to where the thieves had dumped and had gone through every tiny bit of my luggage and everything in it. By some miracle, my passport and ATM card were still there.

I was badly shaken and disoriented as you can imagine. Gave statements to the police and the head of the hotel's security firm. Had many emails back and forth with the manager of the hotel, Helen, who was pretty cordial. In the end though, the hotel accepted no responsibility for events, instead choosing to blame me - suggesting I had not locked the door or not locked it properly.

I have lived in Uganda for over 3 years and stayed in countless hotels, many not nearly as nice as this one. I am very security aware and >100% certain that I locked that door properly before retiring for the evening.

I understand that hotels cannot be responsible for every mishap - but surely, one should have the comfort of knowing that when you lock yourself in at night you are safe. They have "two armed guards and two dogs that patrol the property at night, we also have security lighting as well as burglar guards on ALL our windows. All our doors have locks that are in perfect working condition. The entire property is surrounded by a strong fence with only one entrance which is guarded day and night." Yet with all this, still I was robbed while I slept. At the very least, the guards are completely incompetent, and at worst, the guards and/or hotel staff were involved.

Either way - DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank missbeth48
GatelyUganda, Manager at Gately Inn Entebbe, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
After reading the relevant review I would like to respond accordingly. It is indeed a very unfortunate incident that happened at our premises however due to ongoing investigation we decline to comment on who it could of been or whom it involved and whilst the MissBeth is basically accusing an in house plot to hide her own negligence and responsibility in the matter, I can merely state the facts. Upon arrival and check in at Gately, Beth duly read and signed our disclaimer which is standard procedure designed to protect all hospitality venues. This clearly states that there is a safe provided in the rooms for one to lock valuables away in and that we cannot be held responsible for any loss thereof due to whatever cause and that the guests should have effected their own insurance whilst travelling. She also neglected to inform us of her valuable luggage which contained a number of 'laptops and other equipment', in fact no one here at Gately knew she had these items until they were claimed 'stolen'. To date we still have no proof that she even had these items in her possession. Upon being alerted by the armed security guards, my staff hastened to MissBeths room where they tried calling out and knocked loudly, it was then that my night manager and chef found that the door was NOT LOCKED, when the police arrived they all entered the room to check on MissBeth and found her fast asleep with earplugs in her ears, totally unharmed. When I eventually spoke to her, in order to offer my apologies and some form of comfort as well as free accommodation I was very surprised to find her cool, calm and collective. Please be advised that whilst we take every possible precaution necessary to avoid such incidents, guests are also advised to be cautious and clearly MissBeth was not.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My arrival at Gately Inn, off an overnight flight, so grumpy and tired, didn't go all that well - I'd arranged an airport pick up, but the person wasn't there, or we didn't find each other, or whatever. The annoyance didn't last long, though, as I checked into my lovely room, and had a good cup of coffee to take the edge off the bleariness. I was here for 10 days, and it's a lovely place, with good facilities and tasty food. It's the staff that really make the place, though, as they are friendly and helped to make my trip easy, and to make me feel at home. There is some traffic noise, from the passing main road, so light sleepers might want to ask for a room towards the back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 10, 2013

On our way to the airport in Entebbe we stopped by the Gately to check it out for our next trip to Uganda. We have stayed at the Gately in Jinja and found it most charming so we were excited to know the owner opened another location in Entebbe. The décor in the restaurant/lounge area is a combination of African/Shabby Sheek which works well and is very innovative. I love decorating details and the owner has been very creative with the metal ceiling fixtures, the sinks in the toilets and the super creative showers in the guest rooms. ( it reminded us of Costa Rica with a screened window around the shower that was very private but made you feel like you were showing in the jungle.) We asked for a tour and found the rooms charming and a nice size. Both rooms we saw had porches with 2 safari chairs and a wonderful carved wooden table.

If you are just passing through Entebbe on the way to the airport this is on the way and a great place to have a snack and hot tea before you fly out or a nice dinner. There is also a great gift shop with some unusual wall hangings, pewter looking flatware with stones, wine stoppers with African Accents and some very nicely designed decorative items...very different from the run of the mill stuff.

Expect a relaxed atmosphere that is a little funky but fun with lots of creative surprises. It is not for the hotel bunch wanting a standardized environment but great for all of us who like customized adventures. The pricing is a bit steep by Ugandan standards and if it was $100 or less for 2 people it would be more in line with the market but by Western standards it is still a good value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

What can I say, simply amazing! I stayed here on Sunday night before meeting my girlfriend form the Airport and was amazed by the service and quality of the rooms, the staff are super friendly and really really useful for giving me information about the local area, there is free wifi and a free shuttle collection service from the Airport, and was amazed that in the morning Brood bread was there, so managed to have some amazing croissants and chicken pie!

The food there is amazing just like there jinja branch! would highly recommend people go check it out! I know I will be back there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed March 23, 2013

A great location near the airport. The hotel provides guests with free shuttle service to/from the airport. I stayed in a cottage house but there is a possibility to stay in a main building in a classic room. As it's close to the main road to the airport place is noisy. There is a gift shop there along with a restaurant. Staff very helpfull and can arrange a private driver for visiting Entebbe. Breakfast is very good, restaurant too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My stay at Gately Inn Entebbe was indeed one to remember. Besides the convenience of being close to the airport and being in the throb of the Ugandan vibe the experience was just wonderful.

The staff are so friendly and helpful, the rooms are beautifully clean, simple and rustic with a touch of class. The cuisine on offer is absolutely mouth watering whilst the restaurant offers a chilled, relaxing atmosphere. I just felt so comfortable. There is a personal touch there that one does not find elsewhere.

I recommend Gately Inn to any traveller, whether you be in Entebbe for business or for leisure, it is certainly a worthwhile experience.

I will be back.

Thank you.

Room Tip: I looked at all the rooms and all are excellent!