“Not worth it!”

Ranked #14 of 32 Specialty Lodging in Entebbe
Entebbe, Uganda
“Not worth it!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have mixed feelings about recommending Central Inn to anyone coming to Entebbe on business. I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights, before being rudely told by the receptionist, whilst waiting on a transportation to head to the office, that I needed to check-out now since she told me via email that the hotel was fully booked from today onwards. Now, in the first instance, I have not any email contact with the hotel, so I am not sure what communication she speaks of who, or which guest she assumed I was. Secondly, when I called the hotel to make my reservation and was never told that I needed to check out on a particular, since I explained to them my stay maybe longer. This therefore resulted in me being having to scramble to check-out of the hotel, and then trying to arrange for other accommodation. I found this to be the most inopportune time to have this kind of discussion with me. Not to mention, it made me late as a result.

The water pressure and water temperature can very inconsistent and depends on the time of the day you decide to take a shower. You're best bet is to try to be one of the first guest to take a shower in the morning and then on evenings be the last one. This way you are guaranteed to have warm water and benefit from very good water pressure. I also found it very weird that rubber slippers remained in my bathroom for the entire duration of my staff for some unknown reason. The bathroom is also very small, and your shower, even if you are a small person can be most uncomfortable.

One of the most important things for a business traveller is internet. Well, at Central Inn, there is only one location where you can get pretty good internet on the compound. That is, by the restaurant. The bar is okay, and the food is average. I've found more tastier and wider options outside of the hotel.

They also made by feel like I was a potential criminal when I asked for an iron. I was informed that this was prohibited. At another hotel, I was allowed to use the iron and return when I'm finished. This I could live with, but to tell me that it is prohibited, Im not so happy about.

The breakfast spread is okay, but after a while, you will become very bored of it as it standard.

Overall, if you are just looking for somewhere to stay that is inexpensive, but not necessarily the most comfortable then Central Inn is your place. Sunset Motel which is not too far from there has come highly recommended and you can enjoy internet in your room. If price isn't a factor for you, then I recommend Lake Victoria Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Felicityjana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

A decent place with very friendly staff. Well located in a quiet place but close to the UN HQ and the shopping center. An generally good breakfast spread. Rooms are neat, bathrooms not as good. Sometimes hot water is not available, but they changed rooms on request. Top floor rooms are better. Bar is good food is also OK. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank IndiaWanderlust
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I found Central Inn to have acceptable standards, and the staff friendly enough. For $45, I booked a decent sized room with a bath, 2 single beds with mosquito net, a tv, a fan, and a chair and small table. The bathroom had the standard amenities, although I found it strange that the bathroom window opened to the main hallway. The bathroom switch was also on the wall facing the beds (which to a while to figure out).

A 500-ml-sized distilled water was provided every night for free. Internet was available without charge in the hotel lobby, the restaurant, and the bar which was situated in front of the main structure. The internet connection was on and off; and not strong enough to support Skype. I am not sure if the paid internet option in the room is any better since I didn’t try it. The generator is switched on immediately when the power goes out, except when this happens in the wee hours of the morning- then there is some delay.

Breakfast was included and consisted of coffee/tea, juice, fruit, bread, and either French or Spanish omelette. Do not expect brewed coffee: they provide a pot of hot water and you make your own instant coffee. The bar serves drinks as well as food items from the menu. I preferred staying there over the restaurant because it seemed more private.

Central Inn provides free shuttle service to the UN base in the mornings (but no pick-ups). Before taking breakfast, just coordinate with reception regarding the time. A schedule between 8:00 – 8:30 am usually poses no problems.

I found the hotel to be good value for money. Just be mindful of your valuable personal items, and keep them locked away, or with you at all times. I had a good experience and would not mind going back there.

Room Tip: I had a room with windows overlooking the garden/patio dinng area. While this faced the street, if y...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ATrenas
birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night as it was the starting point of our tour, otherwise we would definitely not have done so. Although the room size was reasonable we were made to feel like potential criminals by the way the name of the place was stamped / etched on everything in the room. The pillowcases were too small for the grubby looking pillows, with seams partially undone. The bathroom look old and tired with several permanent marks on the bath, not encouraging use. The door kept sticking and my husband twice was unable to open the door from the inside and I had to put my shoulder into it to open it for him.

We and a fellow traveller ordered a club sandwich each - we had to wait more than 45 minutes for them, they were the worst we'd ever had. Breakfast consisted of toast and baked beans or jam and a little fruit.

Electricity went off at 3 a.m. so no fan, if you were lucky enough to have one. It came on again some time after 7, but other hotels managed fine.

Room Tip: Don't go there, there are better places for the same price
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ineketom

Travelers are raving about these Entebbe hotels

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed one night in the Central Inn after arriving in Entebbe. It is a short drive from the airport and has basic, but clean and spacious rooms, and friendly staff. It seems to be predominately used by business people. We ate supper and breakfast (included) there and thought the food and service were fine. They also rent bicycles and it is a short (10-15 min) ride to the zoo and botanical gardens. I'd have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Saudi2Africa
Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

What really stands out for me is the people who work at the hotel and how friendly and helpful they are.
I originally stayed here during a week-long workshop for a group of about 25 people, and came back three more times during April between visits elsewhere, once for just a day between planes, and I was always happy to arrive at the Central Inn. They always found a room for me, often on very short notice, and after my first visit, the staff welcomed me by name, so I really felt at home when I came here.
I often worked in the garden, which attracts an amazing variety of birds (you can take your laptop out there and check your email while drinking morning coffee). Once, when I was busy preparing for a workshop, the staff happily brought my dinner into the meeting room for me so I could finish my work.
They pick you up and take you to the airport. During my first stay, my luggage didn't arrive with me, and the staff went and checked for me at the airport the next day and then took me to the airport the following day, when my suitcase did arrive, and helped me work through the process of getting it. They also took me into Entebbe when I had to go to Western Union to pick up money. Often I would go downstairs to the restaurant, order myr food, and they called me when it was ready.
The prices are very reasonable, the rooms are clean and bright, the laundry service is same day, and and the hotel is very close to Entebbe airport. I will stay there when I go to Uganda again - I felt very welcome.
This is also a great place to hold a workshop. It has one large meeting room and two smaller ones, and the chef puts on spectacular meals for large groups. The staff are very accommodating if you want to change the room layout.
Apart from being great value for money, this is a friendly place where I felt at home.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Outsider222
Bujumbura, Burundi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

not hell but bugs, no water and had to fight to get bottled water to brush teeth, unhelpful/unfriendly staff for the majority, credit card machine broken and staff unwilling to contribute in constructive solution so that we wouldn't miss our flight in that situation...food passable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business