“Not good enough to be a Thomas cook recommended appartment.”

Maxwell Holiday Club
Ranked #163 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
“Not good enough to be a Thomas cook recommended appartment.”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed her in late June 2012. I've stayed in 6 different appartments in marmaris and I've never wrote a review before. We payed £2600 for a two week stay in maxwell . The appartment we stayed in slept 6 . Ground floor room 402. Very basic . No toaster and very basic cooking facilities and utensils. Shower area was very dirty and was full of mould. Shower curtain was all mould at the bottom and shower tray leaked all over the floor when it was used. We had ants crawling over the bathroom floor and even had a cockroach too. Under the bed were my daughter slept was a dead cockroach which lay their for the 2 weeks we were their. Our balcony was surrounded by bushes and couldn't sit out at night as we all got mosquitoe bittes from. On arrival the staff are all over you trying to get you to go half board which we did £70 a head. BIG MISTAKE. Food was ok but mislead to what was included and what wasn't. Took 3 hour to serve you all your courses. The waiter called ammar didn't like you telling anyone about your experience he is just a con man so be aware. As soon as they have your money the simply don't care and move on to the next new comer. I don't think this hotel is anywhere good enough to be recommended as a Thomas Cook hotel. There was not a lot for the kids. No kids club. Only a shoot that was timed to go on and off. I won't be staying here again. I've been in a lot better hotels and payed less money in marmaris over the years and I've never written a review before but I felt I had to this time........

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Karenkaitlin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I have been to Marmaris many times and Maxwell is the best place by far I have stayed. The staff are very friendly, make you feel very welcome, and go out of their way to do things for you! The restaurant has great food and great entertainment at night. The rooms are very spacious and very clean. The pool is great and has a slide. Great for familys and for groups of people. Not very far from beach and town.

• Stayed June 2011
9 Thank gwen1985
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2012

The apartment itself was OK. The room was basic, clean enough apart from one or two cock-roaches, but overall OK. Did find a dead cock-roach in the freezer when we first arrived. But the main pests at this hotel were the waiters. I was with a friend - both of us female - they hassled us from day one!!! Every time we tried to lie by our pool, we were immediately pounced on by the staff - they seemed to have absolutely no idea of personal space or that we were on holiday to relax, read a book or two and did not want to be hassled by them. After a day we decided not to lie by the pool and sun bathe on the beaches instead. Felt a bit cheated by this as were paying for the hotel facilities but felt like we could not use them in peace. Decided to give the pool-side another shot, only for my friend to - in the end - point blankly state to one of the waiters PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!!!! The waiter took extreme offense to this and was quite rude to us. The waiters want you to eat at the restaurant, drink in the bar and go to the evening entertainement, if you don't then they become quite rude to you. We stayed at the hotel the first night for the entertainment in the bar. We ate there too and found out later that their menu was almost double in price to most of the gorgeous places to eat around town. The entertainment was saw was an act with two dancers and a snake. They performed for about 15 minutes then left. I would NOT recommend this place for females without males in their party. Females seemed to be viewed as fair game. We complained to our holiday company but were told that was the Turkish culture.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank missannenoid

Travelers are raving about these Marmaris hotels

london
Reviewed November 9, 2011

it was really nice! bar was great.we enjoyed much..we love dave omar..he was very friend.see u next holiday dave

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2011

we stayed at the maxwell in july 2011 me my partner my two kids and my mother, we booked for a two bedroom apart but they had given us two seperate rooms so my partner and son had to go in one room and me my mother and daughter in another room which was two floors down, u go on a family holiday to be together. There was only one member of staff who we liked the rest especially omar wer a pain hasseling u all the time. The air con was going to cost £84 per room so we opted to go and buy two fans bearing in mind it was in the 40's roasting ,wen the guy at reception saw us with the fans he charged us to use them it, the safe deposit boxes r away at reception which was away from us in another building, my daughters dsi got stolen from the room she was playing on it alot so i wasnt going to put it in the safe deposit and have to go there everytime she wanted to play it and the manager said it was my fault for not using the safe deposit, alot of people had things stolen its a disgrace. pool too deep and too small for all the people that stay here. We all felt really intimidated by the management and being so far away from home it was scary. I could go on and on but i will stop now. STAY WELL CLEAR OF THESE APARTMENTS.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank tatoosilver
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2011

For a budget holiday this is perfect! When reading the reviews I though "Oh god, what have we let ourselves in for", however when we got to The Maxwell, we were pleasently suprised. We asked for a one bedroom pool view room. We got just that. My friend and I had twin beds in one good sized room and a kitchen diner. Bathroom was nice and cozy too. Didn't spend much time in there as we were aslways out, so it was perfect!

If you want to use their safes, they're located in the reception area. Although they recommend you use them, we didnt bother, and day in day out, our belongings were safe-as you would expect! We had a problem locking our blacony door, however the maintanence man comes after 8pm each night, that was fine and got fixed. We didn't bother paying for air conditioning as a window is enough. We did, however, pay for the tele and again it gets linked up after 8pm that night-good English viewing for the morning whilst you get ready. We chose self catering as in the past when I have tried 4/5* all inclusive you find that the food gets very boring. Very glad we did opt for this option for the first time!

The pool was fun and busy, staff good fun, working so hard for such little money. The guy in the healthspa does come to you each day if you're by the pool, yet he means well and to sit where he does I presume on commision only pay, he must get very lonely.
We were out all day most days, using the dolmus bus. You jump on to whichever destination, dependent on where you want to go you can pay upto/only 3L, . We spent alot of time in Icmeler, 5 minutes over the mountain. The beach is nicer than Marmaris, so we split our time between the two.

There are a few restuarants in Icmeler that I would reccomend, although try them yourselves, each to their own with taste. Some restaurants pick you up and take you home afterwards, free of charge. We went back to Romance Palace restaurant as the food was very nice and the men were very handsome. Very much a family restaurant, I would definitely recommend this restaurant for families, day and night. If you go to this restaurant just before sunset it is beautiful. We certainly had a great time in and arund the towns of Marmaris and Icmeler, and the men do take a no for an answer, if you want them to. Don't listen to the hype.
When we ate out in Marmaris, we did so on the strip of beach and on the lively lead down to the beach. Very nice food and very tasty! You do get asked and heckled to come in, and sometimes doing so is rewarding. Entertainment between the two towns are very simular, as the individual entertainers go from restaurant to restaurant. It's the same all over. However on the beach front it differs. Doesn't really matter as the atmosphere is electric.
We ate once in the hotel restaurant (at night), on our last night, and we were so glad we did, the food was spectacular!! We went for traditional turkish foods, which were dished up at the table- tasted like heaven. The meal was a sharer for two, and for two individuals who can eat a mountain, we were stuffed. Always go for the starters-really nice! The cheese rolls are melt in your mouth and when I had them here at The Maxwell, they were the best I had all holiday. They're in the shape of spring rolls, yet with cheese and come out deliciously warm and melt in the mouth. The food we had during the day when sunbathing was also delicious. Something light and fluffy-(especially when its so hot)-are their omellettes!

Day trips, I would advise booking outside the hotel and not with your rep, alot cheaper. Rhodes is a must, as well as a few others. Each to their own. All very cheap and reasonable. Whilst on the beach relaxing I was asked if I wanted to go on a Jet ski for 50L for 15 minutes. I went for it. Left my friend behind and went with the chap, waited for the speed boat which takes you to another part of the island, 5 mins away, a tiny little beach section. I jumped on after being prepped and went for it. A chap with a huge pap camera snaps you. For 10L you can get the cd of photo's and take them home with you. I would recommend. ANy of the water sports are good fun!

The old town in Marmaris is beautiful, would definitely reccomend going there! Try to go to many places as you can! Love Turkey.

The only downside were a few of the residents to the hotel, this isn't based on all scousers. A couple of scouser families at The Maxwell were so loud, common and rude. They mentioned to us previously that they go there yearly and are aware that we will be returning too, at the same time, so hopefully they would have learned their lesson! They're something out of Jeremy Kyle, seriously. They stomped about like they owned the place. Ate all their foods then shouted at the waiters with vile (couldn't epress how rude) language! They would shout over people. The dad even had the nerve to turn to us and say he thought we were lesbians when we first got to our table?!? When the waiter approached our table I spoke up, saying that the food was exquisite and you don't come to turkey damanding english food! Like the other chap did, shouting and swearing about a pie he ordered, that is wasnt an english pie??!?.. T***er. Shortly after they all moved tables to the other side of the restaurant. Thankfully! They must have heard my comments to my friend. Discusting people. Another lady (mother) of the kids she was with, decided to come out and drunkenly dance about letting it all hang out. This was amusing! However you do feel sorry for the poor boys that have to take the abuse!

We booked with Thomas cook. However the lady in the travel agent failed to tell us it was buy one week get one free. So always check first. We would have loved to stay in turkey another week!

Brilliant holiday, minus the scousers!

Helena and friend Gemma.

Room Tip: At the travel agent ask for balcony/terrace- pool/beach view. Main building.