“not even really a "one" star - only for AbdulKadir Celik in the restaurant!”

Halici Holiday Village
Ranked #185 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
London, England, United Kingdom
“not even really a "one" star - only for AbdulKadir Celik in the restaurant!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Air conditioning in only one room of the family room, hard pillows, not enough towels (you learn to watch where the cleaning lady leaves all the extras!), beds quite comfortable. Larger pool of the two is very busy and noisy and beds get taken up quickly. All a bit tired and had its day - about 15 years ago perhaps???? The staff in the restaurant and bar are polite and helpful, food ok but a bit repetitive, for an all inclusive hotel there wasn't bottled water on offer to anyone, none provided in the room, pitiful icecream on a Tuesday and Saturday courtesy of the hotel.....whoop whoop and why do they bother really?? Entertainment is pretty rank, no boards up to display what is happening when and where...... Would I go back again..? in a word NO!! Made our holiday to meet Abdulkadir in the restaurant, what a nice guy, but sadly he was the only one who really stood out.....give this man a hotel of his own and I'm sure he would do a much better job!

Room Tip: my tip is to book another hotel altogether!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EMF1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

me and my partner stayed here last year in may 2012 we booked it and then read the reviews and then we was regretting it due to all the terrible reviews but we decided to keep an open mind and make our minds up on it once we where there and thank god we did, it was great, the rooms weren't amazing, but what do you expect its a cheap holiday, the alcohol was brilliant great quality and not watered down, but the food was amazing different everyday & night both me and partner are fussy when it comes to food and both suffer from the holiday 'funny tummy' but we had no problems, make sure your there for Turkish night the food was incredible never seen kebabs like if and they do a little Turkish market around the pool that night as well, the staff where lovely including the entertainment, there was one entertainer who got very irritating 'Chicko' they called him but after a few of the guests chucked him in the pool he soon calmed down, it had a beautiful view due to it being on top of a hill, we had 1 day of solid rain and thunder and lightening and because the hotel is all open you where unable to sit at the bar but the staff did everything they could by setting up tables and entertainment in the restaurant area, in the end we went to a lovely bar at the bottom of the hill, 'Apple bar' GO THERE!!! its so good, great laugh, good drinks and open till early hours of the morning, we drank there every night as the bar at the hotel stop serving drinks to early for us ;) we where quite lucky as to where our room was, we was half way up the hill but we met some people there who where at the top and had to walk 100+ stairs to get to their room, and if you go out once you've climbed the hill to reach the hotel to then have to climb loads of stairs wasn't the best way to end your evening but on the plus side you burn off the food you've been stuffing through out the day, =) over all we had a great time...

Room Tip: ask for one near reception =)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amie L
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Hi, we have been in Halici with two of my fiends (3 girls) for 15 nights All Inclusive, and it was the most awesome time for us :)

FOOD:
We picked the hotel mostly based on food reviews, as we are kind of food junkies, and we like our meals to be green, fresh and healthy. As I do not really like breakfast in general, it is quite hard to impress me, but fresh french toasts or pancakes was brilliant. Except of that a variety of cheeses, greens, oats and cereals, nice coffee, and some sausages and meet (not exactly the Turkish thing, as they do not serve pork).
Lunch and Dinner - MAGIC ! no disappointments at all. Every day, every meal the choice of 3 cooked dishes (ex. chicken kebab, meatballs, fish, lasagne, stews and some local dishes) and great amount of salads and veggies. You can always get some chips, pasta, potatoes or bread if you like that kind of food. Everything cooked and prepared fresh. For first 8 days there was no even 1 dish repeated, so (6x8, nearly 50 dishes with no repetition, GREAT VARIETY).
DESERTS - baklava to die for. cakes and jellies, freshly made, amazing.

LOCATION:
This hotel is situated on the hill, so if you have problem with walking up and down the stairs, its not for you ! It is only hotel in Marmaris situated in such big hill, so it gives you the best view possible. The place is quiet, surrounded by trees and about 5 mins walk down to the main street and the sea side. There is no private beach for that hotel, but its not far to public beach or to restaurant beach, where you can use the seats as long as you buy a drink in the beginning. This hotel is right between ICmeler (other town) and Marina in Marmaris. You can walk down the sea in both directions, about 1hr walk, or take a taxi (cheap). We don't mind the stairs, so it was great option for us, and non of the people we met there complained.

ATTRACTIONS & ACTIVITIES:
*Marmaris Marina is something everyone should visit. Nice, original, open, safe. If you want to smoke shish, they are everywhere, but we choose to go to place called AliBaba next to water fountain in Marina, as it was recommended by locals to be the most original Turkish experience. The interior design was lovely, so was the Turkish live music next door. A place to be.
*Water Sports - there are about 5 companies in Marmaris offering a range of water activities at different prices. We have used pedal boat and canoes, both with the same company, which we find the cheapest and really the most polite. That is the third company if you walk down the Marina way, entering promenade next to Lydia Taxi (when you go down the hill from hotel, and cross the street, pass taxis, you get to the sea). Cool people, you can negotiate prices.
*Bikes - we also rent a bikes, which cost us 10L for a day per person (about 3pounds). The place we choose was the closest to the Halici. If you go down the hill, to the main road and turn left. Its only few minutes away across the street, big banners, next to 5star hotel, hard to miss.
*Turkish Bath - great staff, if you want to get good suntan you should get that than in your first day. It is much cheaper to get that with one of the companies selling excrusions down the sea promenade, than with the Rep coming to the hotel. We paid 12 pounds each. In the hotel they charge 30pounds. Just so you know, you get a foam full body massage included in a price, so really no need to buy another massage when you get there. but for any activities, compare the prices, bargain, don't pay double.
* Clubing - if you want to go out, forget about cruising around with hotel staff excursions, and go straight to the ARENA. decent music, comparing to really horrible club-like-remixes in other places.

IN THE HOTEL & STAFF:
If you want a good place near the pool, you would need to take it before the others, but do not expect the best places to be waiting for you all day. Its not like that in the real life either. There are enough seats for everyone, and you are close to the bar as well. Staff is polite, hardly speaks english, but they do their job and try hard for every customer. This hotel attract mixture of people, there were a lot of Germans, Dutch, French, Polish, British and Russian guests. Variety of people, any age, couples, families, party people, but most of them really nice.
You get to know them a bit during daily activities such as water ball, darts, volleyball and some evening time competitions.

ROOM:
I find the room to be clean and big enough for my needs. Free TV, Free AirCon, Fridge, Shower, Private balcony, Fresh towels, Comfy double beds. There is nothing wrong with that rooms, but if someone expect to have a cosy second home there, will be disappointed. I don't think anyone goes on holiday to seat in the room all day.

ALL INCLUSIVE & ALCOHOL:
The all inclusive starts at 10am and finishes 11pm, during that time you can get local bear, vine, vodka, brandy, gin, softs and coffee till you can hold the glass. Alcohols are local, you need to pay for imported, but thats same anywhere. Bear is cold, staff is fast. No complaints. I did not drink a lot, but some people made a great use of the AllInclusive option.

I think that Marmaris is a beautiful place, and that Halici is a great choice for anyone healthy orientated. Peace and Love

Room Tip: Any room really. If you dont like it, they will change it for you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Marta K
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

our room felt dirty all holiday, we had air conditioning but the extraction pipe led out of a cracked hole in the window which led to alot of bites and sleepless nights, due to the loud music coming from a very nearby hotel.
the food was good but by no means great, we had to go out every morning for breakfast despite being all inclusive. Potatoes, pasta and casserole every night without fail. followed by the same for lunch the next day. snacks were okay with burgers and chips being served
on my final day I saw two maintenance staff welding less than metre away from guests on sunbeds without eye protection, i couldnt really believe i had seen it.

on the other hand the majority of staff were brilliant, with special thnks to
abdulkadir celik
ergun candar
ridvan dogramaci

who ran the activities each day who were very friendly and did a good job of gettin guests involved
all in all marmaris was brilliant with lots to do, but very crouded beaches, and the hotel didnt come anywhere close to what we were expecting

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tom e

Travelers are raving about these Marmaris hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived 4/5am to be greeted by a moany unhelpful Middle aged man. There are 2 different hotels joined together but not exactly close! The part we were in was down the huge hill that the main hotel sits on top of! There are 1000 steps! Myself and partner are fit early 20s but we even found getting to breakfast/lunch/dinner exhausting! There is a lift that screeches like crazy and there are people getting stuck inside hourly soo take your pick.

The staff are awful!!!
All moody and rude! You'll be lucky to find anybody smiling except 1 chap up in the dining room that collects glasses.
The man on the front desk is exceptionally disgraceful!! My partner and I had broken air com as did most of the others we had spoken to and asked if anybody was going to come to fix of as we were promised on arrival into our room he disgustingly answered NO and continued with his game on Facebook! Terribe service!

FOOD-
The food was repetitive!
Stews everyday and whatever left overs from lunch was concocted into a strange salad for dinner! Recycled food everyday! The salad bar was nice and on occasion (twice in a 3 week stay) some fresh grilled chicken breast.
NO FRUIT at breakfast or at any time! An occasional watermelon was sliced up and the table attacked for a slice at dinner. The deserts were awful! All jellyfied and had a strange shaving foam textured cream all over them.

ROOM- the rooms stink especially the toilet! It seemed if your neighbour flushed the toilet your whole room would fill with a noxious stench. The aircon did not work for 2 out of the 3 weeks we were there! Sweating like pigs each night & morning!
Toilet & sink leaked so the bathroom was a 24hr paddling pool! The shower only had boiling hot or freezing cold temp and 4/5 days power cuts/ no hot water at all plus no fridge for drinks. The cleaners change the bed each day but do not do anything else? We had to ask for new towels on more than 5 occasions! Otherwise changing them twice a week!

Reps-
they're all liars! All trying to sell overpriced excursions when down the hill the prices are cut in half and are exactly the same. Don't believe anybody in turkey they're all trying to rip you off and get your money!

YOU CAN USE ENGLISH POUNDS IN MARMARIS!
No need for lira and you know how much you are spending using pounds! They except any currency I'm sure they'd even take blood!

All inclusive-
This hotel does not live up to any all inclusive ive been to.. Food not avaliable all day the meal times very short not as in description on holiday site! Tiny drink selection no cocktails and the ice cream is only served 2 days a week where if you're lucky to survive the hour que you might get a decent tiny scoop on a stale cone! And you are only allowed 1!!!!

Shall not be returning!
People/place is not worth your money no matter how good the deal is!!! Cheap= cheap service!
You get what you pay for! Be warned!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Jessum
North Yorkshire
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My parents booked this hotel for us to all go as a family with our one year old. We have been to turkey many times before, even staying in the same area. Then my dad started to read the reviews...... For months.....over and over! Now I've always believed tripadvisor to be a communal moaning place for travellers, myself included as I had never written a review on any of the wonderful places I have stayed, this appears to be true! Review after review moaned about mundane things, poor food choices, the amount of stairs..... The list went on.... One even referred to it as 'the hotel from hell'!
Upon arrival (late Friday night), admittedly I was thinking 'jeez there are a lot of stairs' as we were shown to our room and I would say that this hotel isn't really suitable for people with mobility or heart problems! We arrived at our room (207) and after seeing the fancy lights of the golden rock hotel I did think 'dads done it again, back to basics' but to be honest 'basic' worked out fine as we were never in the room! The rooms were clean and tidy, the bed freshly made each day and towels changed. We did have an electrical problem in our room which was dealt with efficiently!
The first morning we woke up and opened the door..... The hike up them stairs was SO worth it, our view was basically the whole bay of Marmaris! We watched day after day as the cruise liners pulled in as the sun rose. Truly breath taking! Next came breakfast. Now I don't really know what sort of 'choice' people want for their money (some rooms are available for as little as £11 a night at certain times of the year) but you got a cooked style breakfast with grilled tomatoes, sausage, eggs, (which can be cooked while you wait) pancakes, dried cereal, bread, yogurts.... I mean the list goes on.... After carefully choosing a seat that over looked the whole of Marmaris and eating our lovely breakfast we made our way to pool. We soon learned that our blonde haired, blue eyes daughter was going to be the star of the show as everyone swooned over her (the Turkish folk are particularly fond of children and this is to be mistaken for anything else, they genuinely love kids. It came as a bit of a shock to my hubby but having been that blonde haired, blue eyed girl myself once I didn't once feel anxious about the situation and by the end second day my hubby loved parading her round to everyone! The staff are LOVELY too, from the cleaners to the waiter and the lady in the supermarket but especial EMRE the barman! Determined to make our daughter love him by the end of the week he gave her ice cream, posters to play with, ice cubes (which she loves) and showed her the lights on the bar-it eventually paid off!!! The pool area is so clean, my husband actually said its one of the only pools he's ever been in that hasn't had sand/grit or hair in the bottom of it! The whole hotel is very clean! Apart from sometimes the table cloths should be changed instead of just wiped down! Music is played throughout the day and some of it isn't to everyone taste, like my parents (50 & 60 yrs old) but still they enjoyed watching their grand daughter dance away. Tony was our animator but I think they do alternate. He was brill! PLEASE PLAY THE DARTS GAME! I know sometimes on holiday you think 'I don't want to look like a div in front of people I don't know but.....YOU DON'T KNOW THEM! And you're probably never going to see them ever again! We felt the games really brought people together and my hubby and dad soon got into water polo to. Unfortunately during our stay there were no shows on an evening, I believe this to be because it is the begin of the season as the night we were leaving they were having a Turkish night with belly dancers! We got the free ice cream on Tuesday as promised and snack at 2.30 which was burger, chips, pasta and salad. Then at 4.30 is afternoon tea and biscuits (which my mum loved)! Oh I forgot lunch, lunch time we were served something different everyday, with a wide range of food choices and fantastic salads and puddings. Evening meal was the same idea, different food to lunch but a wide choice of foods, soup and salads. Our evenings were spent strolling along the sea front (which is only a ten minute walk away, but it does take longer to get back up as you have to go up a hill to the hotel). It's a beautiful walk along the front, more hustle and bustle though in the hotels down there which made us appreciate ours more! We'd then sit in the bar area chatting to fellow holiday makers and staff before retiring to our room!
We will definitely be going back to halici semera, and I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have a sea view, but you may what to request a lower level one if you struggle...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Stacey H
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in June 2012. The hotel does not look like the one in the photo above. It's definitely not a 4* hotel either. The staff were very friendly and involved everyone in games by the pool and got to know you. They provided a bus to and from the night life where the staff also came with us and made sure we got back on the bus and back home safe as it would have been quite a trek back. It's close to all the shops and different kinds of restraunts also.
The food wasn't the best but it was edable. It was just bland and it was the same thing every day. However there is another on sight restraunt but you have to pay to eat there. We did once and it was nicer and cheap.

The main thing that ruined this hotel was the fact that on our last day, out flight home wasn't until 7 o'clock in the evening, yet they stopped us from using our all inclusive deal from the morning, even tho that day we had paid for as it was our 7th day. Every other guest we told were appalled as it was so hot and being our last day no one had any money left so could not afford any drinks. So other guests had to go and get us something from the bar as they felt sorry for us.
Also in our room the chain on the toilet broke on numerous occasions.

You had to get up at about 6am to reserve a sunbed or you'd be without alllllll day.

The views were awesome of the sea.

The hotel is on a hill with millions of steps to get to most of the rooms so a pain if you have to carry a heavy suitcase.

Free wifi was available at reception.

Can't think of anything else to say.
Cheerio.