“HOT!!!”

Grand Cettia Hotel
Ranked #18 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is a nice hotel.
It's very clean, not madly busy and the staff all work very hard to get things right.
The pool is not large but its perfectly adequate for a cooling dip. The food ranges from being terrific (when they do Turkish) to odd (when they do Mexican. WHY???) but there is a large selection and you won't go hungry, the salads are particularly good, the deserts not so.
The entertainment is baffling, but no worse than anywhere else I've been.
I would never, ever go to Turkey again but that's nothing to do with the hotel.

The temperature is ridiculous.
I looked at the average Temperature for August before I booked on several different sites and was anticipating about 32 degrees. I don't know where they take these readings but I can assure you its not in Marmaris!
Average day was 45 degrees! Average night 30 degrees. Got near 50 one day!
Forget ANY sort of activity after midday. Just lying under an umbrella is exhausting.

Unless you like it crazy hot (and I mean really, really very hot) then go either much earlier, much later, or not at all.

3  Thank Peter G
There are newer reviews for Grand Cettia Hotel

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was our second time at the Cettia and once again couldn't fault the hotel. The food was lovely always plenty there and hot. You would have to get up early for a sunbed, we didn't but were always asked if we wanted one. My husband had an accident out there and all hotel staff and management were fantastic. The children had a fab holiday they loved the pool and all the entertainment even the bingo!!! The entertainment team were amazing again and got everyone involved. Some reviews I have seen on here are very petty, if you go in August you should be prepared for it too be busy it is the summer holidays after all !!! We have booked to go again next yr, fab holiday thanks x x

2  Thank carusouthall
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Went to this hotel 2nd - 16th Aug with my friend her 7 year old son, and my 7 year old grandson. Thomas Cook description said it had over 30 different sports and activities including football with activity coaches. This is not true. We booked this hotel well we actually we booked Club Cettia Resort Hotel & Apartments, when you arrive you find out All Inclusive is Grand Cettia. Well for the sports we booked this hotel the boys love football; in the 14 days we were there they played Once! The boys were told that they would get another game and when they turned up was told they were having a meeting so kids club was cancelled. I questioned this about the sports advertised and was told it was too hot for football, so why do Thomas Cook make a big point on what they will do if the staff say no we not doing that.
On arrival bell boy took our cases to the room, the balcony looked onto a wall and the room was dark and dingy, I went to reception and asked to be change to pool view room, we were pleased with change next day room 4008 ground floor faces the kids play pool, it is not a pool for children to swim, again as advertised, the main pool is not big enough for all guests and there is no shallow end.
You have to be up by 6.30am to get a bed; they have all gone by 7am. Beds were a joke you had nowhere to move them if want to keep out the sun, they are pushed right up to each other and sometimes you had to climb on the bottom to get on it.
The slide is only open certain times a day, and an accident is waiting to happen, there is a life guard well a guy that sits on top but you can mostly go down whenever you want regardless if a little one is below.
Room was ok, not great and not cleaned very well, towels I had to ask more than once for extra, there were four of us and we were given two towels only. Bedding well that was something else took picture of my sheet, I asked cleaner to change it, she did but my friend also ended up with a rip sheet, it was becoming a joke between us, in the end she slept with no sheet. Pic attached.
Food you won’t starve, but you will end up being sick or have diarrhoea, one day the kitchen door was left open (By mistake) someone quickly shut it not before myself and some other quests see the filthy floor and walls, no wonder people were falling like fly’s with upset stomach.
Drinks, I complained twice about ice being put in the glass by hand, in the end decided to have no ice, they use dirty clothes to wipe bar area, then put their fingers in the drinks to pass them to you, Water that was a joke, it was from a machine and was warm, did not taste anything like water so we had to buy bottles of water as these are not included in the A/I.
Marta the manager does her very best to deal with all the problems there, she must have lots, she arranged a table to be reserved and a cake for my grandsons 7th birthday it only cost 20 lira, it was lovely though, pic attached.
Entertainment team do try and do their best, but all the shows are repeated the 2nd week, they were not that great you wanted to watch again. They play bingo every night and most people played having three books at a cost of 10 lira, they pay out 140 lira in prize money, surely all the extra money they take could be spent on better entertainment?
Would I recommend this hotel NO WAY, save your money and go somewhere else, I know reviews are good, I don’t get that, I’m not fussy, I have a laugh, Put up with most things, but honestly this hotel is nothing like people are saying and that's the truth.

Room Tip: Pool view or better still another hotel.
1  Thank lynneacs
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from the 26th July till the 6th August with my partner and 4 children, 2 daughters aged 8 and 15 and two sons aged 6 and 20. Kids loved this hotel and the entertainment and enjoyed being in the pool every day with friends. Stayed for the hotels entertainment most nights but also went along the beach front which is also great. Food was delicious everyday but was abit disappointed to have to pay for drinks after 11pm. Turkish bath was amazing and all the staff in this hotel are lovely. Had no problems with illness bugs except my son being sick on the first day because of the heat, after a nap he was fine though :) Hotel rooms are very clean and the cleaners are very polite. Wifi is also very good in this hotel. Terry is very kind and can get you good trips for reasonable prices and also the shop and takeaway near the hotel is cheap and very nice.

We all loved this hotel and my children can't wait to come back as they love Turkey and really want to come back to this hotel next year but we would also like to try different hotels more near the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Julie155
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and i stayed here with our 2 girls (aged 10 and 8) 3rd of August -13th August 2013. We had a great time and found the hotel to be very clean and overall quite friendly. The quality of the food was very good. Plenty of fresh salad, nice bread, rice, fish and various meat dishes. The afternoon snacks for the kids were a bit repetitive but for us that was a relief as our youngest is very picky and the small variation covered all her favourite foods.
The entertainment was a bit predictable but not too bad and sometimes fairly enjoyable. Cocoa is a star and was great with the kids. The staff are lovely and mainly very friendly bar one who only had time for women. He blatantly served women large drinks with tons of ice and then served my husband a kids size drink with no ice..... so rude and so obvious!!!!! Very embarrassing for the hotel! There were other issues with this one particular guy, he really let the team down.
Be cautious when booking trips from Terry or Batman (they have offices just down the rd). Some trips seem massively cheaper than the prices offered by your rep. There's often hidden costs, we went on jeep safari and had to pay 10lire to hire one water gun. Also the "lazy day" boat trip booked at Terry's didn't include drinks whereas the Thomas cook offering was all inclusive, we ended up paying the same in the end but limiting ourselves with our drinks.
The spa sales people are pushy too, they kept pestering us even after we'd been to the spa thinking we were new arrivals.
Overall a good hotel which I would recommend and may well return too one day!

1  Thank Trakka14
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The following comments are our honest opinion and do not detract from the fact that Turkey is a fantastic place to visit and this hotel may be the one for you and your family.

As all in-clusive hotels go, this is average in everyway. We've been to better one's, never been to one that's worse. The rooms are of a good standard and nicely decorated and cleaned everyday. The maids are really good and gave us extra towels when we were only given 2 between the three of us on the first day.

We asked for a low level room and a pool view at the time of booking over 12 months before travelling, we got neither. So ask when you check in at the hotel if you come here. The lifts are efficient enough though. The patio door to the balcony (each room has one) is not the best at keeping the outside noise out, so take some ear plugs with you if you want an early night and a good nights sleep, before the morning rush for a sunbed. If you want a sunbed by the pool,you can start to reserve them from about 6am, but be warned that you need to stay with the towels to at least 7-30am, or the hotel porter will take the towels left to reception and you;ll come out to no towels and no beds. The hotel is trying to sort this, but it's a losing game as far as we could see. There are not enough beds for every guest when it is full. We found out that the block near the kiddies pool was built after the main pool for the hotel was completed, hence the side by side bed layout and not enough of them. If you see the photo's of the hotel, they do not lie. I hate this side to the holiday and can't wait to get a villa next year to not have to do the towel run each day. The hotel do try and dis-courage this from happening.

Sickness and diarrhea was rife in the hotel for the 2 weeks we were their. Even heard someone had kidney failure due to gastroenteritous.

If you want a table at night outside, then you have to be ready to start queuing from 6-30pm. We found that people would sit at the tables all afternoon to get their favourite table, and then each family member would go up in turn to get ready for the evening meal and to reserve their table for their many family members. must be a british thing to have one person reserving seating for 20 people. LOL. Really annoying.

The food is ok and there's always something to eat, although the food does not change that much each day. Breakfast is not the best. There's no chance of getting your full english each day. The best you'll get is scrambled eggs and some sort of sausage meat and beans. A choice of 3 cereals and ham and cheeses. That completes your breakfast choice. This is the same each day. There's always chips at dinner and evening meal and the sweets are the same at each meal time. The outside grill area do pancakes and omletes at breakfast and other things during the day. there is always something being cooked at the grill area, and this does change regularly. The bar area by the pool is good as in coffee and tea making facilities. just a small gripe about the bar staff cleanliness, they never seem to clean their hands and their hands are all over your drink glass rim and they pick up the ice with their hands and put it in the plastic cup you get. Best to stick to bottled water as quite a few people came down with the trotts and sickness. There were even several people hospitalised with needing drips to get them better. On the Friday before we left, the hotel carried out a deep clean to reduce the sickness rate. The hotel were trying their best to keep the sickness quiet, so as not to upset the new guests. But people were still coming down with sickness.

The entertainment staff are not the best and every nights entertainment is the same. It's as if they had no direction and were just blagging their way through the summer. The animation staff have no skills in the entertainment field and they should not be in a 4star hotel, offering this level of so called entertainment. To be honest the hotel needs to address this for next season, as this season it is too late (unfortunately for us that holiday here this year). The kids disco is at 8-30 (a little late for some) then the midget/giant game (think about it) which goes on for ages, due to competative dads syndrome and that there could be loads of kids on stage (get's boring after the first night), then cash bingo (where you are told every day - several times that you can win 40tl for a line and 100tl for a full house. It's almost like they can't be bothered or aren't the best at coming up with different acts each night. Do brits want to play bingo every night ? Some hotels we've been to have acts each night and are of an excellent standard. The lack of good entertainment needs addressing quickly and also the food selection needs sorting. Could do with a change of chef and entertainment recruiter for next season. The hotel spa is over-priced and Speedy the spa rep is in need of a personality transplant. Be warned if you come here after reading these reviews, speedy will search you out on day 1 and try to sign you up for very expensive treatments.. My partner and her daughter had the full turkish bath exp' for 26tl from Batman (although they found it was a bit of a conveyor belt experience, and you had to remove the treatment yourself)., the spa wanted 65tl.

The hotel spa is basic and quite small. The gymnasium is in need of some investment. The free weights are virtually non-existent and the equipment is old and not fit for purpose. The equipment is like something you'd have in your garage and not in a professional establishment. Hope the hotel address this issue.

The hotel staff are really co-operative and helpful, and they really try to make your stay pleasant. but the food and entertainment, let them down a lot. Staff re-training in hygiene when serving drinks needs to be addressed also.

We did the turkish bath exp', jeep safari,aqua park and boat trip all for £110. Which we thought was great value at the time. The jeep experience is a waste of time, as it involved a 2hr water fight and no sign of animals on this so called safari. The included dinner break was under some nice asbestos sheets in a wooded area near some water falls. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt us. Couldn't get from there quick enough once I spotted the asbestos sheets. The food was poor and not filling at all. Our driver for the day was 'Curly', and he continually played loud dance music for the trip until he finally turned it down after we asked several times and by this time I had developed a raging headache, which caused me to be sick when I got back to the hotel. Night in bed for me. There were 3 families in his jeep, how he thinks we want head banging tunes all day. As you can imagine, it was not worth complaining to Batman, as once he has your money he doesn't give a monkeys if you have a bad time. We did complain, but were met with 'you are the first person to ever complain' . Best tip Is to goto other trip organisers (which there are many around) and pick the best from them.

Oh and on every trip organised by Batman, you will get fleeced at a ridiculous rate. Take lots of money as there are numerous costs on every trip. I'm pretty sure it is not only restricted to batman's trips.

We have eaten out a few times over the 2 weeks, as the hotel food got very repetative. myself and step-daughter had a dose of the trotts and sickness, which were dealt with Diarolyte, paracemtamol and ibuprofen. make sure you take some with you. You'll need it. Never had it before on holiday. Marta is very good and will sort any issues out quickly. we were fed up of the food and our daughter stopped eating the food after she was sick.

So Marta sorted it for us to eat at the apartment restaurant for the rest of our stay. The food in the apartment restaurant it far better than in the hotel. You should book the apartments and then pay the extra to upgrade to half board or all-inclusive at the apartments, and you'll still be quids in. we wish we had done this. The centre of Marmaris is a short walk away and there are plenty of cheap shops to buy your presents if you so wish. Marmaris is a fakers paradise, and some of the prices are very steep. Do they not know that fakes are cheap to produce. The harbour is a must to walk along, very pretty at night. We ate in the Taj mahal curry house, but a note of caution, the food is highly spiced and very hot. so ask for your preference of heat when ordering. I ordered a balti and it should have been quite mild, but it was very hot when i got it. neadless to say, i left most of it. Please feel free to email me with any questions you may have, and i'll answer them will full honesty.

Aqua park - not the biggest park and can easily be done in an hour or so. overpriced as you can imagine.

Boat trip - Not too bad a trip for the day. Got to stop off at a few places and dive into the sea and swim to shore. But the lads on the boat are around every 5minutes offering drinks, crisps and other snacks. Became a pain after the first 15mins of continually asking us for their wares. Also continually asking to take photo's of you and your family. Although the prices are not that bad. £17 for all your photo's and videos from your day. On one of our many stops, we stopped at a village called Turunc. It was very nice and small and had a lovely beach and everyone seemed nice. It was not too pricey either. You can get a water taxi from marmaris (near the dolphin fountain, just walk a little to the right on the beach front) to Turunc for 10Turkish Lira (one way). Wish we'd seen this earlier, as it would make a nice day out then get the water taxi back.
Our comments would have still be the same about the hotel and trips, without our sickness . It's just a shame we were sick for some time.

4  Thank whojackapunkeye
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We arrived back from cettia on 15th August which I was so very glad to be back home! After first couple of days my partner had taken really I'll started with the stomach cramps them my 10year old son ended up the same, my son was hospitalised and was put on a drip with antibiotics I was told at hospital was due to either food or maybe water!! My son had never been on hospital in is life till this, Marta complaints manager was really sympathetic and girl really does have a heart of gold! But our whole holiday was ruined by them because we learned that there was a lot of families who has been I'll and most hospitalised!!!! We couldn't eat at all because we where terrified!! They clean the bar with dirty clothes then come to your table where you are maybe eating or hbonh a drink and use the same cloth!!!! Spoke to Chris Thomas cook rep who is useless!!!! We has to lodge our complaint with him and we will not be letting this go!! Oh yes and speed from the spar is a chancer everything he offers you, you can get it cheaper to mins swn the road!! The entertainment team are what makes this hotel guys really do a great job and I don't think it is acknowledged enough but they really are great when they found out my son has been I'll they where very sympathetic and helpfully.. Big thankyou to Coco And Bats especially :) :)

8  Thank _Miss_Clair