“A mixed holiday”

Romance Hotel Marmaris
Ranked #68 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Reviewed October 17, 2009

We were satisfied with the hotel for the money, the one black spot was having 300 cigarettes stolen from our room the day before leaving, and no one was particulary interested in our complaint, needless to say we will not be returning, dishonest staff a big minus for the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wandererSurrey

Reviewed September 8, 2009

The hotel is very clean and boasts a few suites. Unfortunately I was in one that was next to some other hotel that played very loud music till late at night. While I didn't find this such a major problem, as I am not a pensioner yet...the food left room for improvement. The breakfast was ok with a selection of cheeses, fruit and marmelades and croissants but the evening meal was composed of too much salad starter and the main dishes were mainly oriented at Brits with too much friend stuff gone wrong. While seemingly friendly-more of a teaser, the chef was far from being a 5 star michelin cook, not that I was expecting it. Too much rice and badly cooked dishes, other than that the waiters very handsome! The hotel is a 2 step walk from the beach and it is convenient, but be aware of the guy who gets tips for saving towels and sunbeds very early in the morning, don't be scared of him, just take the towel off and take it, if those people were lazier than you. The place in itself is not bad but it is near lots of other hotels and it is quite noisy at night. I would say it is a 3 star hotel that could become 4 with more food improvement and some refurbishing in the bathrooms.

• Stayed: September 2009
2  Thank fruity20
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Me (22) and my boyfriend (24) visited Marmaris, looking for a lovely, chilled out holiday, with a nice beach, nice bars and nice restaurants.

Firstly, this is not so much a bad review for Romance Hotel, more of a bad review for Marmaris.

When we arrived we were given a truly crap room, awful view of a garage or something and very small!! We went down to reception to see if there was anything they could do. They instantly moved us to a much better room, with a sea view and it was much bigger, but why they didn't put us in this room straight away I don't know!!

Positive
- Lots to do: Lovely boat trips, Turkish baths, Mud baths.
- 1 beautiful restaurant - Taj Mahal - Chinese and Indian (would recommend it).
- A really great band played at the hotel twice.
- Hotel was ok - quite basic, with everything you need.
- Pool was lovely and quiet.
- Breakfast was nice.

Negative
- Beaches were just plain horrible!!! Tiny, cramped and just not nice at all!!!!!
- Night life was so tacky. Drunken, middle aged Brits (ok if thats what your looking for, but not for a romantic get away with your boyfriend).
- Hardly any nice restaurants - mostly (not all) tacky with reps trying to drag you in all day every day!
- Dont even attempt to go shopping!! Unless you are some kind of pro at bartering! You will get all sorts of abuse if you dare look at something and not buy it. Me and my boyfriend both found this intimidating.
- We went in October and the weather was ok, but chilly in the evenings.
- Didn't think Turkey was a cheap as some people made out.
- Hotel is next to a hotel with flumes and water slides, which we could hear from our room all morning and all day.

Finally, are transfer was suppose to pick us up at 9pm, to take us the the airport to go home. This was confirmed on the notice board in the hotel. When we arrived in the hotel reception at 8.45pm, to wait to be picked up, it never arrived!! When we asked reception what had happened, they said they called our names in the pool and restaurant area at 8pm, because the transfers were coming early!!!! How were we to know we could not leave the hotel between these hours?? Anyway, this was our fault apparently. We did not read the small print on the transfer info, which said we have to ring some number 24 hours before, to check transfer times. So we had to pay god knows how much for a taxi to take us to the airport, in a rush!

I know this review make me sounds like a misrible git, but i am writing it becuase i had never heard or was warned about Marmaris being like a middle ages 18 - 30s!!
At the end of the day, WE DID HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY, as it is what you make of it! But would definitly never go back to Marmaris, nor would i recommend it.

Keep in mind everyone's opinions are different and everyone looks for different things in a holiday - this was just not for us.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank victorialouise
Reviewed September 2, 2009

Me and my boyfriend stayed in Romance hotel for 10 days end of August. Weather was hot, 40 degrees, but not unpleasant, you are anyway in your swimsuit and in water all day...;)) The room was good, big wardrobe, big shower, although we did not get a sea view, but we had a double bed. We had sometimes trouble to sleep as the room was front facing, with clubs playing loud music till late at night almost every night. I regret now we did not asked to move to sea view room, but we'll do next time.
There was a minibar, safe (althouht if you want to use it, you have to pay for it), hairdryer and AC which was working fine. Room was cleaned daily although the maids could have put some more effort into it, I noticed that they did not dust properly, mirrors were not cleaned well and the shower screen was not cleaned during the whole stay. But I am a bit fussy about these things as I work as a housekeeping manager myself.

We were happy with breakfast, we are not English so the continental bfst suited us perfectly. Great choice of cheeses, salamis, veg, eggs and I loved the bread. Evening meals were the highlight of the stay, huge variety of salads, soups, two or three hot meals, fruits and desserts, my compliments to the chef. He was really lovely. We were truly full every night and would eat even more but we were stuffed. ;))
I think hotel offers only half board, and you have to buy drinks at dinner, I found them a bit overpriced but we had no choice as guests were not allowed to bring their own drinks to dinner.

Hotel is in very good location at the beach front, literally only 50 meters to the beach. There is a good sized pool at the back of the hotel, few steps down from there is a beach bar and then the beach. I really liked the bar, it was pleasant and there is even live music every night, which is very good and great to pull outside guests in, it was trully full all the time when the live band was playing. The bar staff is great, nice young people.

It is true what other people wrote in their reviews about sun loungers. Some guests were really mean, putting their towels there early even before breakfast and then then they did not use it till the afternoon. Some even put their towels on the pool loungers as well as on the ones on the beach! However, the beach boy was very nice and when they did not come to use them, he just gave the loungers to the people who actually wanted to lie on the beach...;) So after all, it was not such a problem.
The beach is guite narrow sretch, and might seem too crowded for some people. But when you have your sun lounger it is not a problem.

The hotel was about 20 minutes walk to the centre of Marmaris and the marina. When you walk along the beach be aware that locals will be constantly hassling you to come in their restaurant/bar or use their services. We learned just to firmly say, 'no thank you' or avoid eye contact. Literally, I couldn't even look left or right without somebody invinting me in, even pulling on the sleeve. I just had to look straight ahead. After two days, we found it quite annoying really. The same goes for the shops, you just look in the window and somebody is already pulling you in. Some people might like it but to be honest, it put me off shopping there. I prefer to choose quietly without somebody breathing down my neck all the time.

But that was about only really negative thing about our stay and generally we enjoyed the holiday there and would definitely return.

3  Thank kisa_sk
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I am just back from a fortnight in the Romance hotel with my boyfriend.
The hotel was great and in a brilliant location right next to the beach. Our room was great and was cleaned every day, the hotel overall was very clean as was the pool area.
The pool was lovely and it was a very relaxing environment, however it did become annoying after a few days that people liked to put their towels on loungers and no one seemed to lie on them all day. Two females liked to have two loungers each, one in the shade and one in the sun!!! So get up early if you want to get a lounger by the pool.

The hotel staff are really lovely, so friendly and cannot do enough for you. The staff in the Romance Bar are great too and honestly cannot do enough for you I was sad to leave them!

Only a few negatives, one being the shower like someone said before, it was very unpredictable and blew hot and cold so beware! Also be careful if you are smuggling in outside food/drink to the room and pool as they dont like it and can leave chilling warning signs on the notice board as you go to dinner! Also mentioned before was the breakfast was pretty continental and didnt consist of much more than meats, cheese and bread but there are plenty of great places to eat out near by.

The evening meal was brilliant, so much salads to choose from and every veg stuffed ive ever seen! The chef was a lovely man who was so friendly and took the time to make sure you enjoyed your meal, he honestly was a highlight of the holiday trying to explain what each dish was in broken english!

Great hotel, great staff and great location. Go to the Romance Hotel.

2  Thank kazzalicious
Reviewed August 28, 2009

The hotel was much nicer than I expected, very clean, friendly staff, and excellent location!The weather was lovely, 40 degrees, but didn't feel too hot as there was a lovely breeze. The room was really nice, and cleaned every day. A few very small problems though, the shower was very unpredictable, going from freezing cold to scorching hot, so be careful if you have children. We went half board and the breakfast was dissappointing, with no hot food, and just toast or watermelon to eat, there was lots of salamis, hams and cheeses to choose from, but not to my taste unfortunatly, but there are plenty of places near by to get a proper english breakfast. The evening meal was quite nice with buffet style and plenty to choose from. The pool area was lovely, but if you want a sunbed get up EARLY, as people tend to put their towels on them in the morning, and leave them there all day whether they are being used or not, which can get quite annoying(but not the hotels fault)Overall I was really happy with the hotel, and would definatly stay there again :-)

2  Thank spudulikeEngland
Reviewed May 19, 2009

dont know what they r all talking about this hotel is greatfod was good everything was just good about it

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends