“Water sports”

TUI SENSIMAR Marmaris Imperial Hotel
Ranked #8 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
“Water sports”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Holiday started from 30th sept to 8th October and the weather was beautiful,most of our stay at the imperial was using the water sports facilities...the romantic speedboat tour with champaign was lovely as you watch the sunset..we also used the water buggy for half an hour and it was easy to use and got great pics of the hotel while at sea...our last water sport activity was hiring the medium water boat for two hours and my husband felt like a captain driving it...I myself had a turn to drive and it was beautiful and fun...the water sport guys are friend and very helpful...thank water sport team for making my holiday the best...recommend the suntopia imperial hotel in turkey to any couple...the service was even more then what we expected.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,187)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durham
Reviewed October 9, 2012

we stayed at this hotel last week following a weeks cruise on the thompson Celebration and whilst we were disappointed with the cruise the stay at here more than made up for it. We had a lovely room (room 581 and up 51 steps) - difficult, but worth the effort as the veiw from the bedroom was spectacular!!!. there were higher rooms but being a bit long in the tooth and wide in the hip! I really don't think that I could have managed any higher! Apart from the room, the hotel itself is set in an amazing setting and has been built very simpathetically with the environment. The beach area had been well designed with plenty of space for sunbeds and access to the sea was either via the sand or the jetties or decks. The sea was lovely, calm and very safe for swimming or snorkling. Food was available all day from somewhere in the hotel - either the restaurants or the snackbars. The food in the restaurant was the best all inclusive that we have had anywhere as it was all cooked fresh in front of you. there were two lovely swimming pools - one where all the entertainment happened and the other more quiet in the garden area. However, we stayed at the beach each day and loved it. the evening entertainment was OK but a bit 'in your face' if you stayed at the poolside or the Breezes bar. However, there were other places to go if you just wanted a quiet drink. The staff were helpfull without being 'tip pushy'. the hotel was in a quiet bay about 5 mile from the bustle of Marmaris and you could either visit there by water taxi (8 Euros return) or the local Dolmush (mini bus)(£2 return) Whilst we are not ones for revisiting hotels i think that this is one that we could return to. We had a lovely restful time and a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: The garden rooms were more accessable with fewer steps but the views from the other rooms were worth...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wharriers
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The aim of our holiday was to have a week in the sun relaxing, eating good food, and enjoying a drink, and this hotel proved the most perfect place to achieve all three objectives! The setting is spectacular, and so peaceful. However, there is not too much within walking distance so may be too secluded for some.

We were in room 627, which was absolutely the furthest away from the facilities. It wasn't the highest but there were still 109 steps (yes, I counted) broken up by a couple of quite steep slopes. Golf buggies were available but we didn't find these to be too frequent, so normally walked. We thought the room itself was lovely. it was spotlessly clean and had everything we needed including dressing gowns and slippers! The view from the balcony was spectacular and, to my mind, enhanced by the fact it was framed by pine trees.

We spent a good deal of time on the beach, which was lovely and sandy, with plenty of sunbeds always available. The sea was silky, warm, and full of very friendly fish, who helpfully nibbled your toes if you stood still for even just a few seconds.

Like many others we did both receive bee stings, but I never witnessed anyone who had a particularly bad reaction to the stings. Certainly, they hurt like hell at first but very quickly wore off and left no perceptible mark.

The relax pool was lovely, but did get quite shady in the afternoons - quite welcome in the heat though.

The activity pool was a bit too lively for us, but plenty of people seemed to enjoy the activities there. Water sports were available, many at no extra charge. Though there only seemed to be two kayaks available at any one time - they could maybe do with investing in a couple more. There were plenty of organised activities which we didn't really take advantage of (except a yoga session and a pretty unsuccessful, though hilarious, bash at archery), we felt there was a slight Butlins feel to some of them.

It was easy to get to Marmaris, and we used the water taxi to go, and came back in normal taxi, so that we could stay and have lunch. The castle in Marmaris was very cute and pretty and worth a visit.

The evening entertainment was ok (the undercovers were pretty good, but like others, we weren't so keen on Adrian James). Our favourite and most memorable evening was one spent sitting on the beach, under the stars, sipping raki, and watching Casablanca on a big screen!

The choice of food in the restaurant was excellent, and always delicious and fresh. Waiter service for drinks (food is buffet) was, at times, a tad slow, but you could help yourself if desperate. Staff were always warm and friendly. Service in the breeze bar was a bit too good and we had several unfinished drinks whisked away as soon as we got up for a dance in the evenings!

Overall, this hotel is perfect for a quiet, relaxing break and we would go back again, though maybe ask for a lower room next time.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is set in a magnificent area which is about two miles from Marmaris. The facilities are very good and is one of the only hotels that I have stayed at which offer free wi-fi and sky TV. Not that I realy want it on holiday but was useful when Ryder Cup was on. The Hotel itself is set in woodland and the rooms are spaced out in the grounds on different levels. One draw back may be the number of steps you climbe to get to your room. 80 plus in our case but there is a golf buggie at certain times of the day. If you have mobility problems choose low number rooms where possible. The pools were the best I have come accross for a very long time being very clear and well maintained. The areas were always clean and the quiet pool was excellent. All along the edge of the sea are sun beds looking out to sea and many more set alongside the pools and in the wooded area. Rooms are of a good standard but there is no automatic service on Sundays. You can however have the towels changed on request. Food was of a good quality but followes the same patten as many All Inclusive resorts. The best outing was on the Gulit which goes from the jetty of the hotel. Don't miss it. It is not over crowede and worth every penny. Weather was perfect.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but if you have mobility problems choose low numbers in 100s as there are steps t...
3 Thank verysatisified
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is set in one of the most beautiful settings that I have ever stayed at with all the rooms set in a steeply sloping forest. Our room was one of the furthest away from the hotel and one of the highest, being at the top of a steep slope plus 98 steps! As mentioned in other reviews, this hotel is not recommended for people with mobility problems or those who want to wear their high heels but if you’re fit and able to climb the steps I think it’s worthwhile having one of the high rooms as the view is amazing across the bay. This is better than a normal sea view as, with the lights of Marmaris just across the bay and the lights of the boats in the marina in front of the hotel to the left side, you have a wonderful view at night as well as during the day. Golf buggies are provided for those who don’t want to walk but I can’t comment on how regular they were as we only used one when we arrived with our luggage.

One of the best things about this hotel is that you can be as lively or as quiet as you want as there are two pools, one with all the activities, music etc., and another set in the forest that is so peaceful. It has a bar but no music. Also at night, there is the Breeze Bar for those who want entertainment but for people like me who don’t want that kind of thing there was the Harmony Bar set out on a jetty over the sea. You could still hear the music from the Breeze Bar but far enough in the distance to be able to have a conversation. There is a lovely sandy the beach or for those like myself who don’t like to be in sand there is a long jetty with sunbeds on. We never had a problem getting a sunbed at any time of day, although I think you had to be early to get one on the beach.

Previous reviewers have commented on the poor service in the main restaurant and I would agree with this until we worked out that the staff are quite happy for customers to help themselves to drinks. I have never known this in any all inclusive hotel before! The fact that the staff were not quick to serve drinks was no fault of their own as they were rushed off their feet but due to poor management. The waiters’ main priority was to get tables cleared as quickly as possible, especially because of the wasp problem. However, we soon discovered that the large fridge in the restaurant with self service bottled water also held a large stock of white wine and staff were happy for us to help ourselves. Also at the bar in the restaurant bottles of red wine were always on the counter for guests to help themselves. I have no idea if the management are aware of this system but as there were never any representatives of the management in the restaurant they may not be. Which leads me to my next comment that the restaurant badly needs a Maitre d’ to organise everything. We were in a party of four and often couldn’t find a table for four, only for two, whilst couples were sitting at tables for four. A Maitre D’ would organise this properly and also ensure when seating guests that a waiter is allocated to provide drinks etc. As for the food, we found this to be very good. I do not eat meat and found the hotel particularly good for me. I do eat fish and there was always fresh fish being cooked. We ate at the a la carte on the roof terrace which was beautiful with very attentive service. The food was good and the vegetarian alternative was a pizza, which I enjoyed.

There are very good exercise classes, pilates, yoga etc. In hotels we have stayed at previously these classes are often held by the pool in full view of people lying on their sunbeds and I have had no desire to do classes with an audience in the hot sun on a concrete surface! However, here the classes are in a covered area on a proper gym rubber surface with mats. The sides were completely open and it was beside the sea, away from the main hotel area. I thoroughly enjoyed these classes that were very professionally taken by Minni at 9am, 10am and 3.30pm. She also took a very enjoyable water aerobics at 11.15. So with the classes and the walk to our room we managed to burn off the food we were eating! We didn’t use the gym but this was in a lovely glass room overlooking the sea. So often, gyms are stuck in the basement at hotels but this was in a lovely setting. I can’t comment on the equipment as we didn’t use it.

The wasp problem that previous reviewers have mentioned was a pain but I hardly think the hotel can be blamed for this as it affected the whole area. I was told by the Thomson rep that this is not a problem in the spring.

As an animal lover, I must mention the lovely idea of the “Cat Café.” So often I have had meals spoilt in foreign countries by having hungry stray cats staring at me while I eat. To avoid this, they have an area away from the restaurant where they feed the stray cats and take care of them the whole year, not just in the tourist season. They should be thoroughly commended for this.

To sum up we loved this hotel and think it was very good value, considering that we have spent a similar price on hotels that provided far less facilities without such extensive grounds to look after. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you don't want a long trip to your room ask for a room close to the hotel complex. If you wa...
4 Thank gilldavidson12
Uk
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at at the Marmaris Imperial for 10 nights in September. There was about 10 people incuding us from our flight going to our hotel so they provided a mini bus rather than having to change half way through the transfer like we were expecting which was nice as I slept pretty much the whole way there. It took about an hour and a half as it states when booking so don't be surprised. On arrival at the hotel all the other couples rooms were ready but ours wasn't and even though it was about half 3pm we were slightly grumpy from a long day travelling. We were ushered over the Harmony bar for an afternoon snack while they finished our room and after being greeted by a very friendly waiter there and a bit to eat and drink we were much happier when we went back to reception to check in. The reception staff must have sensed our grumpyness as the phone rang when we had been in the room about 5 minutes to check if everything was ok.

We had room 125 which had very few steps to it so if you don't want a hike up hill I suggest you request a low room like this one. The room itself was nice a bit basic but nice all the same. The bathroom was small but had everything you need. The shower cubicle was large and the shower was lovely. It did seem to leak though and once the two of us had showered there was quite a puddle so be careful. There is a fridge in the room which is filled with water which is nice after a hot day by the pool. The TV does pick up some British channels (including sky sports) which was nice when getting ready in the evening. The bed was comfortable and a king size which is always nice.

When we booked we were told we would have a partial sea view so I was expecting to see a slither of sea but we actually had a good view through the trees. The hotel itself is set on a lovely tree covered hill side and provides very picturesque views all over.

We opted to spend our days relaxing by the relax pool as we don't really want to do much on holiday apart from lie by the pool and read. This pool is lovely and quiet or at least it was until the arrival of a large russian group who didn't seem to understand that people around the relax pool wanted a bit of peace and quiet. There is a bar at this pool and tolilets, which we noticed a couple of days in after going back to our room to use the toilet. The pool itself was a little cool as it tended to be shaded from the sun most of the day but was refreshing when it was very hot.

As for the food, I am a fussy eater and I know others have said this but I really am. I found the food to be satisfactory rather than superb like others have stated but then again that may be due to my limited sampling. I have to say there was a large selection so even though I am fussy I always managed to find something to eat. I did find the food a bit repatative especially after we had been there a week. And as someone else stated lunch a lot of the days did seem to be leftovers from the night before. I found the puddings very dissapointing and had ice cream most of the time. We both would have liked to have had ice cream throughout the day as well as in the evening as it would have been very refreshing on a hot day. We did eat in the Turkish a la carte restaurant and thought the food was very nice. It was the nicest meal we had all holiday. Yes the service is slow so you will be there for a while but you are on holiday so who wants to rush?! I would recommend getting a spoon before your ice cream as there seemed to be shortage of them every evening and the first night my ice cream had melted before I got one.

As previous reviewers had mentioned the drinks did seem watered down. My boyfriend thought the beer was watered down which was confirmed when he had the same make (Effes) outside the hotel. This didn't seem to agree with him and ended up giving him an upset stomach. I only drank soft drinks which are of the named variety and most of the come out of a bottle so you can see they aren't watered down. I did like the fridges with bottles of water all around. Very handy.

The waiters were very hit and miss. They seemed to really look after the older guests and ignore the younger ones. If you were matey with them you got excellent service if not it was easier to go up to the bar yourselves. I managed to annoy one waiter in particular by asking for a drink (I know, rude of me!) and then asking for another when I had finished!! Some of the waiters were very nice though and didn't act like it was above them to do their jobs and get you a drink.

Each night is a different theme and on saturday it is Turkish night which is nice apart from they don't warn you about the stalls that suddenly appear on the bridge area to the restaurant. You don't want to be pestered to buy fake goods while at the resort and on your way to dinner. They had jewellery, turkish delight, nuts, fake perfumes, fake handbags and clothing. I liked the food and jewellery but I didn't think it was appropriate to have the fake items there.

The evening entertainment was average. I liked the undercovers or whatever they were called who did some nice cover songs. Yes they aren't the best singers in the world but if they were why would they be at a hotel in Turkey? I didn't like the solo artist Adrian though, he was very cheesy and seemed to cater for the older guests. We enjoyed the evening quiz although some of the questions were impossible for us to answer again being geared towards the older guests. The wifi in the bar was good and we made use of this in the evenings. It would be nice to have it in guests rooms as would be expected of a hotel of this class.

We went into Marmaris one morning and found it hugely dissapointing. It seemed to just be selling a lot of tourist tat and fake goods. There didn't appear to be anything else to do. We ended up only stopping for an hour or so and returning back to the hotel. The bus was an experience all on it's own. We have used the buses on many Greek islands and thought we knew what we were in for. The buses on the Greek islands seem like National Express coachs compared to these. The driver at one point was driving (on a narrow road at some speed) with no hands free, in one hand was his phone and the other was busy sorting change. I also had to perch on a plastic stool as all the seats were gone and basically held on for dear life. As it was about £3 for the return trip you can't complain too much.

We went on two day trips whilst on holiday. One to Rhodes which was nice, we had done a similar island hop on a previous holiday and quite liked seeing two countries on one holiday. It was a nice day although we were expecting some sort of guide in Rhodes which you only got if you bought it on the boat (provided by the bost company). The trip cost around £45 each and did seem a bit steep considering we were just left to our own devices. It may be possible to arrange the trip yourself for cheaper. I would recommend hopping over to Rhodes as it's nice to see the differences between the two.

We also went to Pammukale which is an ancient roman city. It was a 3 hour trip each way but it was worth it. The guide we had was exteremly knowledgeable and was keen to tell us all about Turkish life not just the area we were visiting. We took a dip in Cleopatras pool which is meant to have healing powers. We also visited a stone factory where they produce onyx orniments etc which was obviously intended to make us part with our money (which nobody did). Apart from that the trip was enjoyable and interesting. It's worth getting up at 5.30 on holiday for.

The wasps were annoying especially when sunbathing, I would recommend if you are bothered by then as I am take some insect repellent with you. I was pleased to see the "cat hotel" when we arrived which is an area they have built for the cats to sleep, play and be fed. There was a sign at this area stating that the hotel feed the cats and would appreciate it if the guests did not. I was impressed with this until I saw one of the cats was practically skin and bone. I know the cats in these sort of countries are often a lot thinner than our domesticated pets but after seeing the sign stating they fed these cats and then seeing one in such poor condition it upset and annoyed me. This cat also had a bad leg that no one seemed to pay any attention too. I spoke to another guest who said she had reported it to the rep who said if the hotel don't sort it she will take it to the vet herself by a certain date. Well that date passed while we were there and when we left the cat looked worse than ever.

Overall I would recommend this hotel especially if you want a relaxing holiday. The hotel does seem to be geared towards the older guests but I suppose they are the ones who generally go to couples hotels. It would have been nicer to make the younger guests feel a bit more welcome. There were plenty of other young couples, it is always a worry of mine that we will be the youngest by about 30 years on these type of holiday and it was nice to see we weren't.

2 Thank moosey95
Aberporth
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have just returned from two fabulous weeks at the Imperial. The sun shone every day - not one drop of rain! The staff also had sunny smiles. We loved that it was a hotel for adults. The musical entertainment was very good, thanks to the DJ, as was the live music from The Undercovers and Adrian James. Thanks also to Vicky, Talhan and others for the entertainment and activiies. There were a variety of activies available but no pressure to participate; you could just sit by the pool with a cool drink looking at the magnificent scenery. We particularly enjoyed being able to hire the speedboat, something we did on three occasions. It was a dream come true for the two of us to take the boat out on our own and motor along the fantastic Turkish coastline. We also had two brilliant sunset cruises on the hotel speedboat which we shared with friends made at the hotel.
The food was just toooo good so we both put on weight as we couldn't resist the temptation to try the wide array of food on offer. So thanks to the chefs and Sunny the restaurant and bar manager.
We didn't expect to like the town of Marmaris but we were pleasantly surprised. On two occasions we took the water taxi to Marmaris, a pleasurable trip in itself, and spent and enjoyable couple of hours strolling around looking at the many and varied boats, some luxury and some more humble and sipping cool drinks at a couple of waterfront bars. We also ventured into the shopping area, which was more modern than we expected. Everyone treated us with friendliness and courtesy and we made a couple of purchases.
The hotel beach provides safe swimming conditions, being easy to get in and out of the sea. Of course even in Paradise there are one or two inconveniences. No doubt you will have read about the wasps or bees and it is true that there were a lot of bees about and some people were stung. However as the area is covered in beautiful trees and plants and is well known as a honey making area this is not surprising and there is little the hotel can do about the situation. You just need to be prepared for the fact that the bees are going to be there in the season. The other feature often referred to is the number of steps around the site. The hotel rooms are built on a hill and there are steep slopes and steps. However there are golf buggies that can take you around. Also the General Manager, Sharon and the Public Relations Manager, Ozlem do their best to accommodate people.
A special word of thanks from us to Strongman and his colleague who run the watersport centre, they were great.
So summing up, would we go back? Absolutely! As hotels and holidays go this one was simply the best!

Room Tip: If you have a medical condition that means you have difficulty coping with hills or steps you might...
4 Thank alglenAberporth