“Relaxing holiday - not quite 5 star”
Review of TUI BLUE Marmaris

TUI BLUE Marmaris
Ranked #8 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at at the Marmaris Imperial for 10 nights in September. There was about 10 people incuding us from our flight going to our hotel so they provided a mini bus rather than having to change half way through the transfer like we were expecting which was nice as I slept pretty much the whole way there. It took about an hour and a half as it states when booking so don't be surprised. On arrival at the hotel all the other couples rooms were ready but ours wasn't and even though it was about half 3pm we were slightly grumpy from a long day travelling. We were ushered over the Harmony bar for an afternoon snack while they finished our room and after being greeted by a very friendly waiter there and a bit to eat and drink we were much happier when we went back to reception to check in. The reception staff must have sensed our grumpyness as the phone rang when we had been in the room about 5 minutes to check if everything was ok.

We had room 125 which had very few steps to it so if you don't want a hike up hill I suggest you request a low room like this one. The room itself was nice a bit basic but nice all the same. The bathroom was small but had everything you need. The shower cubicle was large and the shower was lovely. It did seem to leak though and once the two of us had showered there was quite a puddle so be careful. There is a fridge in the room which is filled with water which is nice after a hot day by the pool. The TV does pick up some British channels (including sky sports) which was nice when getting ready in the evening. The bed was comfortable and a king size which is always nice.

When we booked we were told we would have a partial sea view so I was expecting to see a slither of sea but we actually had a good view through the trees. The hotel itself is set on a lovely tree covered hill side and provides very picturesque views all over.

We opted to spend our days relaxing by the relax pool as we don't really want to do much on holiday apart from lie by the pool and read. This pool is lovely and quiet or at least it was until the arrival of a large russian group who didn't seem to understand that people around the relax pool wanted a bit of peace and quiet. There is a bar at this pool and tolilets, which we noticed a couple of days in after going back to our room to use the toilet. The pool itself was a little cool as it tended to be shaded from the sun most of the day but was refreshing when it was very hot.

As for the food, I am a fussy eater and I know others have said this but I really am. I found the food to be satisfactory rather than superb like others have stated but then again that may be due to my limited sampling. I have to say there was a large selection so even though I am fussy I always managed to find something to eat. I did find the food a bit repatative especially after we had been there a week. And as someone else stated lunch a lot of the days did seem to be leftovers from the night before. I found the puddings very dissapointing and had ice cream most of the time. We both would have liked to have had ice cream throughout the day as well as in the evening as it would have been very refreshing on a hot day. We did eat in the Turkish a la carte restaurant and thought the food was very nice. It was the nicest meal we had all holiday. Yes the service is slow so you will be there for a while but you are on holiday so who wants to rush?! I would recommend getting a spoon before your ice cream as there seemed to be shortage of them every evening and the first night my ice cream had melted before I got one.

As previous reviewers had mentioned the drinks did seem watered down. My boyfriend thought the beer was watered down which was confirmed when he had the same make (Effes) outside the hotel. This didn't seem to agree with him and ended up giving him an upset stomach. I only drank soft drinks which are of the named variety and most of the come out of a bottle so you can see they aren't watered down. I did like the fridges with bottles of water all around. Very handy.

The waiters were very hit and miss. They seemed to really look after the older guests and ignore the younger ones. If you were matey with them you got excellent service if not it was easier to go up to the bar yourselves. I managed to annoy one waiter in particular by asking for a drink (I know, rude of me!) and then asking for another when I had finished!! Some of the waiters were very nice though and didn't act like it was above them to do their jobs and get you a drink.

Each night is a different theme and on saturday it is Turkish night which is nice apart from they don't warn you about the stalls that suddenly appear on the bridge area to the restaurant. You don't want to be pestered to buy fake goods while at the resort and on your way to dinner. They had jewellery, turkish delight, nuts, fake perfumes, fake handbags and clothing. I liked the food and jewellery but I didn't think it was appropriate to have the fake items there.

The evening entertainment was average. I liked the undercovers or whatever they were called who did some nice cover songs. Yes they aren't the best singers in the world but if they were why would they be at a hotel in Turkey? I didn't like the solo artist Adrian though, he was very cheesy and seemed to cater for the older guests. We enjoyed the evening quiz although some of the questions were impossible for us to answer again being geared towards the older guests. The wifi in the bar was good and we made use of this in the evenings. It would be nice to have it in guests rooms as would be expected of a hotel of this class.

We went into Marmaris one morning and found it hugely dissapointing. It seemed to just be selling a lot of tourist tat and fake goods. There didn't appear to be anything else to do. We ended up only stopping for an hour or so and returning back to the hotel. The bus was an experience all on it's own. We have used the buses on many Greek islands and thought we knew what we were in for. The buses on the Greek islands seem like National Express coachs compared to these. The driver at one point was driving (on a narrow road at some speed) with no hands free, in one hand was his phone and the other was busy sorting change. I also had to perch on a plastic stool as all the seats were gone and basically held on for dear life. As it was about £3 for the return trip you can't complain too much.

We went on two day trips whilst on holiday. One to Rhodes which was nice, we had done a similar island hop on a previous holiday and quite liked seeing two countries on one holiday. It was a nice day although we were expecting some sort of guide in Rhodes which you only got if you bought it on the boat (provided by the bost company). The trip cost around £45 each and did seem a bit steep considering we were just left to our own devices. It may be possible to arrange the trip yourself for cheaper. I would recommend hopping over to Rhodes as it's nice to see the differences between the two.

We also went to Pammukale which is an ancient roman city. It was a 3 hour trip each way but it was worth it. The guide we had was exteremly knowledgeable and was keen to tell us all about Turkish life not just the area we were visiting. We took a dip in Cleopatras pool which is meant to have healing powers. We also visited a stone factory where they produce onyx orniments etc which was obviously intended to make us part with our money (which nobody did). Apart from that the trip was enjoyable and interesting. It's worth getting up at 5.30 on holiday for.

The wasps were annoying especially when sunbathing, I would recommend if you are bothered by then as I am take some insect repellent with you. I was pleased to see the "cat hotel" when we arrived which is an area they have built for the cats to sleep, play and be fed. There was a sign at this area stating that the hotel feed the cats and would appreciate it if the guests did not. I was impressed with this until I saw one of the cats was practically skin and bone. I know the cats in these sort of countries are often a lot thinner than our domesticated pets but after seeing the sign stating they fed these cats and then seeing one in such poor condition it upset and annoyed me. This cat also had a bad leg that no one seemed to pay any attention too. I spoke to another guest who said she had reported it to the rep who said if the hotel don't sort it she will take it to the vet herself by a certain date. Well that date passed while we were there and when we left the cat looked worse than ever.

Overall I would recommend this hotel especially if you want a relaxing holiday. The hotel does seem to be geared towards the older guests but I suppose they are the ones who generally go to couples hotels. It would have been nicer to make the younger guests feel a bit more welcome. There were plenty of other young couples, it is always a worry of mine that we will be the youngest by about 30 years on these type of holiday and it was nice to see we weren't.

2  Thank moosey95
Write a ReviewReviews (3,932)

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have just returned from two fabulous weeks at the Imperial. The sun shone every day - not one drop of rain! The staff also had sunny smiles. We loved that it was a hotel for adults. The musical entertainment was very good, thanks to the DJ, as was the live music from The Undercovers and Adrian James. Thanks also to Vicky, Talhan and others for the entertainment and activiies. There were a variety of activies available but no pressure to participate; you could just sit by the pool with a cool drink looking at the magnificent scenery. We particularly enjoyed being able to hire the speedboat, something we did on three occasions. It was a dream come true for the two of us to take the boat out on our own and motor along the fantastic Turkish coastline. We also had two brilliant sunset cruises on the hotel speedboat which we shared with friends made at the hotel.
The food was just toooo good so we both put on weight as we couldn't resist the temptation to try the wide array of food on offer. So thanks to the chefs and Sunny the restaurant and bar manager.
We didn't expect to like the town of Marmaris but we were pleasantly surprised. On two occasions we took the water taxi to Marmaris, a pleasurable trip in itself, and spent and enjoyable couple of hours strolling around looking at the many and varied boats, some luxury and some more humble and sipping cool drinks at a couple of waterfront bars. We also ventured into the shopping area, which was more modern than we expected. Everyone treated us with friendliness and courtesy and we made a couple of purchases.
The hotel beach provides safe swimming conditions, being easy to get in and out of the sea. Of course even in Paradise there are one or two inconveniences. No doubt you will have read about the wasps or bees and it is true that there were a lot of bees about and some people were stung. However as the area is covered in beautiful trees and plants and is well known as a honey making area this is not surprising and there is little the hotel can do about the situation. You just need to be prepared for the fact that the bees are going to be there in the season. The other feature often referred to is the number of steps around the site. The hotel rooms are built on a hill and there are steep slopes and steps. However there are golf buggies that can take you around. Also the General Manager, Sharon and the Public Relations Manager, Ozlem do their best to accommodate people.
A special word of thanks from us to Strongman and his colleague who run the watersport centre, they were great.
So summing up, would we go back? Absolutely! As hotels and holidays go this one was simply the best!

Room Tip: If you have a medical condition that means you have difficulty coping with hills or steps you might...
4  Thank alglenAberporth
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Went with my partner from 3rd Sept to 10th Sept 2012. We loved this holiday - it was total relaxation. The setting of the hotel is stunning with beautiful views all around. The food is good (we don't understand previous negative comments). The waiters in the main restaurent were a bit slow with getting drinks but it didnt really bother us. We thought the entertainment was excellent. The resident band, The Undercovers, were absolutely fantastic, we really enjoyed their music. The Turkish Folk dancers and the Samba troupe were also very good.
Found all the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Yes it was a climb to our apartment but we didnt mind that - and there were always the golf buggies to take you if couldnt face the climb or were a bit 'tired' from the evenings entertainment in the bar !!! We found the drinks just fine !

So many places to spend the day as well, the beach, the relax pool, in a hammock. on a bean bag, the main pool, or on the double loungers everywhere.

We had never been on an Adults only trip before and found this a revelation ! No fractious children or mini disco etc and all adult entertainment, this is the way forward for us now. Pity they don't do adults only flights as well ! It was total relaxation in a beautiful place - couldn't ask for more.

Would definitely go back and would recommend this holiday - it was paradise.

1  Thank cleo058
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Marmaris Imperial and although our stay was very relaxing there are one or two issues which anyone planning a holiday here should be aware of. Firstly - the steps! We read in the brochure that there were steps to rooms and public areas what we hadn't anticipated was that to reach our room would involve a climb of 150+ steps! Yes there are buggies available to give you a lift but these only operate on a half hour on, half hour off basis plus it is dependent on finding a driver. Also the air conditioning in our room did not work properly. After 4 days we asked if we could change room and after first being told this was not possible we asked the Tomsons rep to intervene on our behalf. She spoke to the manager and we were assured that if we packed our cases, left them in our room and went out for the day on our return they would have been moved to a new room. On returning the duty manager said he knew nothing of this and actually quite rude in the way he addressed us. Eventually he found us another room which meant we now only had 120 steps to climb but at least the air conditioning worked properly. The downside was the view of the back wall of the bungalow 10 feet in front of our verandah and the damp inside the wardrobe.
Also be aware that at this hotel you need to make a special request if you want your room to be serviced on a Sunday and you will also be asked to pay 1.50 euros a day for the use of a room safe.
Finally if you plan to stay here from the end of August to the end of the season beware the wasps are everywhere and you will spend a good amount of time lying on your sun lounger swatting away unwelcome visitors. My wife was stung three times during our stay, a fate that seemed to befall many other guests.
These issues apart we had an enjoyable stay but feel that this hotel hasn't quite got it right and could improve.

Room Tip: Ask before you book for a room on a lower level and one with a balcony as this ensures you room will...
1  Thank andy l
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hotel location absolutely idealic. Sure, it is built over a large hilly area but you are forewarned in the Thomson brochure.
Hotel has everything on offer, good food (don't understand the negative comments) always a good choice & plenty of it, good selection of drinks (sure they're local brands but still enjoyable) & comfortable clean rooms.

Plenty of activities during the day which is a good way to meet people & start a conversation & have a laugh. Special thanks to "Sticky Vicky" the Welsh Thomson rep, made all the activities great fun, although she should have ended up in the pool.

Evening entertainment was ok but definately missed the one night it didn't happen.
The following Disco which started at 11:00 pm with DJ Ismet was brilliant, he played some great tunes which got every one up & dancing & kept playing until the last dancer quit (thanks Ismet).

The grounds are kept lovely with a lovely promenade walk which was lovely to stroll along late afternoon to take in a cooling drink at the beach bar & watch the sun go down.

The local Dolmus is right outside the Hotel gates & runs every half hour to Marmaris where a nice evening stroll along the harbour is very enjoyable. As night falls all the boats & frontage light up & makes a beautiful sight. The return from Marmaris on the Dolmus is just as easy as the journey out & the last bus runs after midnight (just look for the bus with the pink stripe on it)
As David Dickinson says "cheap as chips" about £1.50 each way.

Only real gripe was the amount of wasps & bees but, if you ignored them they didn't bother too much.

So, all said & done, fantastic hotel, fantastic food & drink & generally a fantastic holiday, will definately be returning & once again a special thankyou to Sticky Vicky & DJ Ismet.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 200's are closest to the restaurant, bar & pool.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We arrived at the hotel in a taxi with another couple at about 11 pm after a 2 hour transfer from the airport (by minibus and then a taxi via a transit station) so we weren't able to appreciate the beauty of the surroundings until the next day. Well, what a wonderful location for a hotel! Views of the sea, green mountains, verdant forests and boats lined up in the Marina greeted us from our balcony (544) the next morning. It made all the travelling well worth it!
As other contributors have mentioned the hotel is built on a hillside hence the many steps and steep slopes – however, we were aware of this when booking the holiday and this fact adds to the idyllic scenery and views from every part of the complex. For those who struggle with walking then there is a regular golf buggy service available from reception, a fact that was highlighted at the meeting with the Thomson Reps on the first day so there should be no need for the negative comments others have made in this respect.
Our room was perfectly acceptable (although not 5* as others have seemingly expected) and very clean; we were especially pleased with the fact that there was no mould whatsoever in the bathroom and little dust evident on surfaces. The cleaners did a wonderful job each day (except Sundays, their day off) and were very friendly. The bed was fine and we slept well – the only downside being the golf buggies running throughout the night to drop off / pick up people and their luggage.
The restaurant offered a buffet style selection of Turkish salads, cold meats and cheeses, succulent fruit platters and vast arrays of desserts. There were also Chefs on the outside terrace cooking fresh meat and fish dishes (and chips too for those so inclined!) There was always a good choice available especially for the theme nights (Mediterranean, Far Eastern / Asian fusion and Turkish) which were particularly good. We went out of our way to talk and engage with the waiters and chefs and they responded with good humour and excellent service. We tried our best to say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ in Turkish which the staff all appreciated. We were amazed to see that the waiters on duty for breakfast each morning were still working in the restaurant each evening and then later in the Breeze Bar collecting empty glasses. They all worked so hard. You could also eat in the Harmony Restaurant / Bar on the jetty by the Watersports area from 2 pm – 4 pm where they offered burger and chips amongst other things. So there was something for everyone. There is also a girl called Gul who cooks scrumptious pancakes filled with either potato, cheese or spinach and sweet sugary ones too. These are available between 11 am and 4 pm each day with a break from 12.30 to 1 pm. Gul also cooks the fried eggs at breakfast and does all this with a lovely smile.
We wanted a holiday where we could totally chill out and relax and that is exactly what we got. We spent the majority of our time at the “Relax Pool”, situated in a particularly scenic part of the complex within the pine trees and palm trees. Absolute bliss! There is a small pool bar situated there with a good selection of complimentary hot and cold drinks and the girl who runs it, Kader, is wonderful and taught my wife a Turkish word a day. It must be pointed out that the temperature of the pool is lower than that of the sea so we tended to take the short walk down to the beach to swim, shower and then walk back up to the pool area to relax and unwind.
Wasps and bees were an issue for some people. Down by the relax pool honeybees were the main problem (the area is renowned for its honey). My wife got stung by a bee as she squashed it between her leg and her towel, however, if left alone they seemed quite docile. The wasps were more threatening and they seemed most active early in the day and the “slap-slap” of flip flops and books being used as weapons against them greeted us each morning as we arrived!
The hotel offers a lot of activities for those who want to take part; we tried our hand at archery (which, despite being first timers we were quite good at), air rifle shooting, French boules, kayaking, table tennis and fishing. The Activities Team were excellent, especially Fatos who patiently instructed us at archery and rifle shooting and played boules with us. ‘Strongman’ who heads up the Watersports team was very cheeky and we enjoyed some fun with him as we tried out the kayaks each day. I would recommend anyone coming who likes fishing to take some basic gear with them – a travel spinning rod and light reel with 6lb line a range of hooks, floats, lead shot, spinners and small artificial lures. Fly fishing would be productive too especially first thing each morning (large white fly with silver bead near the hook eye would be a killer I think!) There are some sizeable mullet and wrasse roaming around the jetty and prom together with some garfish and barracuda type fish (very large specimens!) Bread for bait can be negotiated via the waiters! Rods can also be hired for €5 a session – unfortunately there is no terminal tackle included so you would have to go to Marmaris to purchase this – hence best to take your own. A very basic fishing kit (child’s one really) can be purchased at the hotel shop for 27 Turkish Lira (about £10) but it doesn’t look too sturdy.
The evening entertainment was OK overall; the resident duo “The Undercovers” were good and played a wide range of music to backing tracks accompanied by guitar and keyboard. The other ‘professional’ musician Adrian James we didn’t find to our taste and felt that his ‘live’ performances were far from it. However, others seemed to like him, so each to their own! Grace, one of the Thomson reps sang one evening, backed by Mark from the Undercovers – we really appreciated her performance. Whatever your musical taste just sitting under the stars at 11pm in 25 degrees of warm with new found friends and drinking a few cocktails, gin and tonics and Efes beers is what it is all about so what else do you need?! The Hotel also has a wonderful amphitheatre where short shows are put on at 9.30 pm some evenings – we really enjoyed this facility and watched a 1920's “Gangster” Dance troupe, traditional Turkish dancers and some terrific Kenyan Acrobats. They also showed films here on other nights which gave us a choice of things to do.
We met with the General Manager, Sharon and were very impressed with her attitude and plans for the Marmaris Imperial. She realises that not everything is perfect and is working hard with her team to get things right and improve on what is already in place. The Thomson representatives we met Vicky, Grace, Jenna and Irina were all excellent and went out of their way to chat and interact with the guests. Bearing this in mind I fail to see how other reviewers can be so negative about this hotel when many of the issues and problems could have easily been resolved by speaking with the reps or even the Manager at the time of their stay.
Would we return? Well, despite there being a lot of the world we would like to see yes we would return if we needed 10 days of pure relaxation in a place where the sun can be guaranteed. The setting and tranquillity offered at the Imperial is hard to beat - so if it is on your shortlist of hotels then we would urge you to put it to the top and go there. As Nike famously says……just do it!

2  Thank SarahandSteveMewett
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel has real potential but falls way short on just the basics “Quality”

We stayed here as part of a” cruise and stay” and in fairness to the hotel it would not have been our first choice but the options with Thompson Holidays where very limited.

On the positive side the hotel has a great location about 15mins drive from Marmaris’s port and set on its own beach surrounded by natural woodland and gardens a perfect setting. But then it is let down by poor service, poor quality food and damp/mould in the rooms.

The biggest problem we had was the overpowering smell of mould and dampness in our room – we reported it 3 times and only on the Saturday before we where due to leave where we offered a room change – by then the stay was all but over. This is not a new problem and I note from previous blogs that many guests have experienced the same thing.

The food was plentiful, but there was an issue with quality – from the numbers of flies around the cold meats etc to the feeling that the leftovers from one setting became a main course in the next meal e.g lunch time there was savoury meat balls (rectangular shaped mine you) and then for dinner there was savoury meat balls (same shape) with fried vegetables. The day after the” Far Eastern menu” in which noodles appeared for the first time – there where noodles in the salads! (in fairness the Far Eastern Menu was by far the best).

Generally you only have the main restaurant to eat in – they promote two “al a carte” restaurants but one is a Turkish style roof top that you can use once a week and the second charges you 20 euro for a menu similar to the buffet restaurant but you get to sit on a jetty for the honour.

Staff at reception and customers services where very professional but in the restaurant and bars they were anything but. It was only on our fourth evening that a waiter approached us and asked us what would we like to drink, until then it was self service. On a number of occasions the waiter started serving me and then was distracted and served a young female or fellow member of staff – on one occasion he did come back to me and said “what do you want?” In the Turkish restaurant we were seated at 8pm and given a glass of water and wine, it was 8:40 before they came back to see if we would like a top up and 9:20 before they returned again. Generally I often got the feeling that we where an inconvenience to the staff.

Entertainment was lack lust to say the least – there was a live music act most nights but if you are looking for a quiet relaxing place to sit and enjoy a drink and conversation, forget it. There only is the Breeze Bar. There is a room of the bar which has a TV and 3 times I watched as guests were watching the large screen that staff came in an turned over to either a Turkish soap or Turkey’s Got Talent!.

The bedrooms, bar the damp/mould, are a good size and cleaned every day except one – I don’t understand this principle given that this is supposed to be a 4* hotel not a 1* self catering block. In fairness again we did get our room cleaned everyday because of the mould problem we had.

The beach was very nice and the sun loungers and towels were excellent, because of the tress the beach is very shaded for most of the day until around 2pm.

Be warned the site is very hilly so if you have any mobility problems it will be difficult to get around.

The small gym is well equipped and worth a use while you are there.

In summary this hotel as lots of potential and it was frustrating that it failed to deliver in the end.

We did speak to other guests who where more than happy with their stay but from our experience of All Inclusive holidays this was way short of satisfactory.

From a public health perspective there are a number of very basic issues that need to addressed asap:
• Flies on the food in the buffet area – No excuse for poor food hygiene
• Mould/Damp in the rooms needs to be sorted
• The smell of raw sewerage on two evening s was over bearing
• The outbreak of Shingles should have been properly highlighted (not a note on one of the notice board)
• The influx of wasps again should have been properly highlighted and again not a foot note on the entrance to the restaurant

Would I recommend this hotel - Im afraid not, it struggles to justify a 3* rating to be honest yet there is so much potential.

Room Tip: do not go for a lower ground floor, greater risk of damp/mould
7  Thank BrendanB