“fantastic hotel”

Ranked #11 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

visited in October , during this 7 day stay the hotel was not full , so there was no over crowding anywhere. I could only make one negative comment and that was only that was that the pool had a uniform depth , with no shallow end ... which being a none swimmer, was a little off putting and I would have loved to do the lazy river !(but that is just a personal thing for me),We had a fantastic large room with sea view, well worth the extra cost .we too had emailed in advance for a high floor ,and we were allocated the 4th floor, The food served was of top quality, with extensive choice, in fact we were overwhelmed with the choice! I would certainly love to return and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Tip.. take a few additional clothes hangers ( especially if you need skirt hangers),

Room Tip: high floor sea view
5 Thank moodog068
Zeynep T, Guest Relations Manager at D-Resort Grand Azur, responded to this review, January 20, 2015
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for this candid feedback and for your custom.
I thank you once more for choosing the D-Resort Grand Azur for your stay in Marmaris and remain at your disposal for any assistance you may require in the future.

D-Resort Grand Azur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have just returned from our 3rd stay at the Grand Azur. We have travelled for many years and this is the only hotel we have ever returned to.
We have no complaints at all, everything is to such a high standard.
Firstly our room was fantastic....the views looking across the bay to the mountains - no better view to wake up to!! The rooms are cleaned thoroughly every day and the linen and towels changed daily.
The extensive choice of food is really amazing, something to suit every diet. We felt like we over indulged every day! We were delighted to see that a 'No Smoking' zone was now in place in the outside restaurant, which is a real rarity in Turkey.
The staff really make this hotel special, they are all so friendly and helpful. They wear their name badges with pride, knowing they are working at the best hotel in Marmaris. Every day they are happy and smiling enjoying their work, which rubs off on the guests....they give you a real lift!!

I would like to mention a special thank you to Julien, who went out of his way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. Also a big thank you to Metin who made sure all our requirements were met with the upmost professionalism. Whilst we enjoyed the entertainment provided by Eade the lead singer from the band '4 Example' it must be said that the vibrancy and atmosphere of the full band was missed.(they usually play in the beach bar in the summer months) Really hope the band will be back next season!! They are a big plus to the entertainment at this hotel.

We have no problem recommending this 5* hotel....it ticks all the boxes. We will certainly be looking to stay again in 2014!!.

Room Tip: Sea view is just amazing! Don't miss it!
3 Thank Jilly36
Zeynep T, Guest Relations Manager at D-Resort Grand Azur, responded to this review, March 26, 2015
Dear Valued Guest;

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the D-Resort Grand Azur for your stay in Marmaris.
Thank you for taking the time out to post a review about our hotel, I am very pleased to hear that all our services were to your satisfaction, and please be assured that your positive comments have already been shared with all team members.
I look forward to welcome you back in not a too distant future to the D-Resort Grand Azur.

Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Marmaris off season was beautiful. Grand Azur has a lovely garden leading to the sea with an attractive (if chilly!) swimming pool with a lazy river. The food was delicious and the staff friendly and helpful. An attractive promenade means you can walk along the sea front for several miles. Thank you for a wonderful week.

1 Thank 555Alison

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We requested (by email) adjoining rooms with sea view on the highest floor possible (to take advantage of the stunning views). Although they had responded saying they would try to accommodate the request (subject to availability) - we were pleased that this had been organised for us. We had been warned that this was the last week of the season for most of the local facilities/activities/bars etc, (most shut between 31 October until April) so were a little worried that it may be on the quiet side. However, although it was very quiet, that was probably a bonus! We enjoyed fabulous weather, the wonderful facilities of the hotel, the extensive choice of food at breakfast and evening meal etc. but with enough atmosphere, excellent service, and with no waiting or hassle. We went on several of the 'usual' sightseeing trips but without the crowds you would expect in the height of the season, everything was relaxed and done at our pace and to our own agenda. We were told the hotel capacity is between 700-800, and there were fewer than 200 guests for most of the week (probably less than 100 for the last few days). When considering what the hotel would be like at peak capacity - I am not sure that we would have enjoyed the break quite so much. The pool area is really beautiful.. but how it could accommodate another 600 potential guests is really hard to picture! For us, another break there off-peak (April - June or Sept/October) would certainly appeal. For those wondering ... yes, the sea view is worth paying for.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms if you can - it would be a shame to miss out. All the sea view rooms also...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JeBow
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time out to post a review about our hotel, I am very pleased to hear that our services were to your satisfaction, and please be assured that all your comments have already been shared with all team members.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Well here we go again our second visit to this magnificent hotel in Marmaris D Resort Grand Azur,when we were last here in May we had a little problem in the bathroom with the shaving mirror that was loose.We approached a manager who we now know as, Seckin Tomruk,within one hour the problem was rectified by their amazing maintainance team.The manager Seckin asked us if we were happy with the way our problem had been dealt with,obviously we were more than happy.Because we had a problem on our first visit we were asked would we come again,our answer was a resounding YES.We have been to Marmaris many times and this is by a mile the best hotel we have stayed in which is the reason we have returned for a second time this year.Now for the second review of our second visit this year,the 17th October to 31st October,when we arrived in reception we were instantly remembered by the staff who have always been more than pleasant,and as we were checking in who should come to the desk to greet us Seckin Tomruk he remembered us from our visit in May amazing.We did not think they could better our previous visit but they did,every night there was entertainment in the lobby bar, the refurbishment of the hotel has been completed to the highest standard for 5 star.The food was excellent,staff brilliant,hotel immaculately clean,the location of this hotel is unbelievable with views to die for.We are booking for a return to this amazing hotel in May and October 2014,Thank you to Seckin and Necmettin and Akif, Ibrahim, Islam, Bengul, Alican, and the rest of the staff who made what was one of the best holidays we have ever had,we are looking forward to returning to your fabulous hotel in May best wishes to you all from Jim and Barbara.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view room on a high floor as the view is to die for,do not book an all inclusive...

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

This was our first stay in Marmaris although we had researched the area and had an idea what to expect. The hotel is immaculate and the staff/cleaners are all very friendly and go out of their way to help, until you speak to anyone with authority who seem to come from the same mould - quite aggressive and very dismissive unless you are a pretty girl. The night we arrived they put on a "cold plate" which was horrible. I was asked to sign something which I queried and was told the drinks (which we had just been told were free) were chargeable. We didn't want any bills at the end of the holiday so paid it straight away. At the end of our holiday I was handed a bill for the drinks and when I queried it, all I got was "is this your signature" - I explained and was rudely dismissed. no eye contact, again, unless you are a pretty girl. Every day I walked through reception with my wife and daughter who were greeted by staff who looked straight through me. I imagine its been a long hard season for the staff but don't see why I should feel such aggression. I could add a few more similar instances.
The waiters were superb, as were the cleaners. Unfortunately as it was late in the season there was no entertainment so the night time was very quiet. We knew a lot of the local bars would be closing but at a 5 star hotel I expect them to cater for their guests in line with the brochure description. If no entertainment say so!

Room Tip: Try and stay away from rooms 420 - 430 as you'll be directly below the air con from the grill ba...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Craigy_2013851
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly value the opinions of our guests and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations completely. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We have addressed the issues, and spoken with the staff and the department in question. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and want you to walk out the door feeling refreshed. If you come back to our hotel, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, ENGLAND
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We arrived late at the hotel and were provided with salad, cold meats, bread and a drink in the restaurant. This was a pleasant surprise and a welcoming touch.
We were in room 469.
It had a side sea view, overlooking the tennis courts.
It was relatively larger than the typical standard room, with a super kingsize double bed and nice sized bathroom with a freestanding basin and walk in 'rain' shower. We had two small balconies, but considering the size of the room I thought they were very small and narrow, but sufficed.
The hairdryer provided was a full sized, plug in, hairdressers type dryer, that could be plugged in anywhere. Having stayed in hotels in the past that have advertised hairdryers in the rooms, to find one that only blows out a wisp of luke warm air, I couldn't risk it and took my own.
There was a lit, magnified make-up mirror, which my partner has now commented that he wants one at home!
The tap to the sink was very stiff and we had a daily whiff of sewage, coming from the open drain, adjacent to the toilet. The extractor fan wasn't working.
The room was cleaned daily (to a high standard) and our white, crisp, bed linen was changed every other day. There were courtesy shower gels x 2, soap x 2, and shampoo x 2 (if this helps with luggage restrictions).
Towels were also changed daily, which was a luxury as there was no where to dry wet/damp stuff.
We had black out curtains with not one chink of light. Other than being hot we had a great nights sleep every night.
The hotel wasn't as large as I'd anticipated. It had five floors, with the more superior rooms being on the fifth floor, along with the roof top steak restaurant.
The Spa provided complimentary towels and lovely clean changing rooms, with showers and hairdryers .... great for having a freshen up prior to departure, on the last day.
Apparently the standard late check-out fee (after 12pm) is 50TL ..... They would not budge on this, despite it being the end of the season.
With our room being situated at the side of the hotel, we unfortunately suffered the road traffic noise at the front of the hotel. It is a very busy road with traffic heard right through until the small hours. It did become quite annoying and this needs to be considered, when deciding whether to pay for a sea view room at the back of the hotel, or not.
This has got to be one of the very few hotels I've stayed in where we heard absolutely no noise whatsoever from slamming doors, lifts, people above us or to the side of us. The soundproofing was excellent.
The so called air conditioning was rubbish and quite noisy, in my opinion. To say it was the back end of October and we were waking up most nights boiling hot, I could not begin to even imagine how guests would cope in July/August! We mentioned this to the staff, thinking we were doing something wrong, but all was set correctly and in full working order. Very disappointing.
The food was amazing. Everything was so very fresh and there was so much choice. I can understand the comments made about the monotony but they did do a Turkish themed evening and also a fish themed evening. I think that even the most faddiest of eaters could find something to eat! The only thing that got on my nerves is that (for example) you'd wait for a fried egg or omelette to be cooked outside then would have to treck inside to find the grilled tomatoes, then decide you wanted some tomato sauce, which was back outside ..... Nothing seemed to be together. But as the week went on we got used to the order in which we needed to get what we wanted. My advice would be to have a good look round first, then decide what you're going to have. (Don't trust all the food labels either ..... I spooned a load of 'Cooked peppers in a yogurt dressing" to find they were nigh on raw chilli's)!!!
The staff were very helpful, attentive, friendly and professional on the whole, but the whole set up was very busy, lots of having to get up and down during your meal and was not what I would expect of a 5* hotel. My partner describes it as a 'Glorified canteen'. The only other option, for a more calm atmosphere was the Steak restaurant, which had to be paid for (or room service).
The wine list was extensive with prices to suit all pockets.
The hotel was ideally situated just across from the beach. I wasn't overly impressed with the beach. To say that other, lower classes of hotels had cleaned their section of the beach (immaculately) I thought the hotel's beach was messy, gritty/pebbly and dirty in comparison.
The sand is very dark and gritty, which makes the sea appear dark. Don't expect aqua blue seas like you get in Menorca or similar places.
There were plenty of sunbeds, tables and umbrellas but the majority of them were taken. Again, I dread to think what the situation would be like in high season.
The pool area was nice. It wasn't as big as what the photo's portray. It was absolutely FREEZING and I mean FREEZING! We only went in the pool once. We went along the 'lazy river' for the novelty of it. That was nothing to shout home about. There was also a small water slide, which everyone got stuck on two thirds of the way down, due to lack of water. Not very impressive.
The hotel is ideally situated for some of the popular boat trips. We had a great day out from 10am until 4pm for 30TL each (£10) and it was wonderful. We swam in the sea (warmer than the pool) and spent an hour and a half in Turunc, which was lovely.
We used the taxi boat to get round the bay to Icmeler and also to get down to the far end of Marmaris near to the port and the old town.
I was pleasantly surprised again. I imagined it to be very commercialised but it was lovely. I overheard a lady off one of the cruise ships say that it was one of Europe's 'best kept secrets'. I would have to agree. I'm sure it would be different in the height of the season but for this time of year it was busy but without being overcrowded.
I think I've covered everything.
Would I go there again? Yes, I would - If I could get a good deal for the same time of year.
If you need any further information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back, with a sea view, are quieter.
3 Thank SUZANNE H