“Not quite so Paradise Island...”

Club Adakoy Resort Hotel
Ranked #27 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We booked the Neilson Club Adakoy the last week of September with high expectations. On arrival at the resort, following a long wait on the ferry boat for the Manchester plane to arrive (which was not explained to us by the staff), we were faced with appalling customer service. We had been travelling for 12 hours and had been in turkey for 3 and our double room was not ready. We were told by the staff we would be moved into a separate room for an hour or so then put back into our originally allocated room. We were then left sitting in the restaurant and given no further explanation. This was totally unacceptable, we found certain members of the staff rude and made a complaint. We were given a nice room which they allowed us to remain in. When we complained the general response was 'we've never had this complaint before' which is not only highly patronising and defensive but untrue as over our stay we spoke to other guests who had made similar remarks regarding the customer service level. Our room was lovely but the maid service was terrible, out of our seven days we received toilet paper twice and clean towels 4 times, eventually I got tired of requesting them from reception so I resorted to taking toilet paper from the resort facilities and brought a towel from Marmaris. Our coffee tray, which we had paid extra for was rarely replenished, leading to further calls to reception, who were on the whole very good and apologetic. The highlight of our stay was the excellent food provided to us, we upgraded to full board which was worth the extra as on the non inclusive evenings the food was different from the regular buffet and we found the chefs and waiting staff excellent. The journey over to Marmaris via the taxis boat was a welcome relief to escape the resort but can quickly get pricey. Marmaris itself is very interesting, there are pockets e.g. The marina and surrounding retail outlet which are lovely and other areas more reminiscent of Blackpool. We enjoyed the couple of afternoons we spent there shopping and it’s worth a trip. We booked an afternoon at a Turkish Bath which was an experience. At the end of September the weather was approximately 21 degrees every day, we had a spectacular thunderstorm for one day which was exciting but meant that we had to find alternative activities which was rather difficult.
The majority of the Neilson clientele were there to get their sailing and water sports fix for which the small resort is very good for. The equipment is well maintained and on the whole the instruction is brilliant. We enjoyed kayaking, snorkelling, windsurfing and catamaraning. The water is warm, clean and clear. The beach area was a massive disappointment. I was aware before we left the beach was pebble but didn't realise how small and narrow it was. Obviously I understand the island is a nature reserve and the beach cannot be helped but like me please don't think it'll probably be better once you are there because it won't.
My partner found the description of the gym misleading, it's a room (shared by the spa) which has about five basic fitness machines. It's surprising that a company which prides itself on being activity based doesn't have better fitness facilities.
The onsite entertainment was relaxed and adequate. The other guests at the resort kept us entertained and we were lucky to have such a lovely varied bunch to keep us smiling.
We will not be rushing to book another Neilson holiday any time soon and my advice to anyone considering booking this resort is they should realise that activity comes first and everything else afterwards. The food is excellent, the location glorious if a little isolated, choice of activities brilliant and customer relations fair at best. If you can get a good deal then the Neilson is worth a punt but if you are booking in advance or willing to pay full price I'd look elsewhere.

1  Thank bathgays

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Very suprised by the reviews on here. I guess if you want somewhere in the middle of nowhere, this is the place for you. It takes 5 minutes to walk round the resort. It's very tiny. I can't see myself ever coming back here. The gym is laughable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank ed c
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was our first neilson holiday and I can't wait to go again! The quality of tuition and service was incredible, the food was delicious and the evening entertainment provided alot of amusement!

The Island of Adakoy is quite remote but there are regular water taxis you can take to the town of Marmaris. If you want a holiday with noisy bars, cheap booze and neon lights then this isn't the holiday for you. If you want a holiday with good quality food, a chilled out atmosphere and well organised and high quality activities then Adakoy is the one for you.

Handy tip: If you want to take part in the Regattas then get to the sign up early, there are a limited number of boats available and they go pretty quick.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook
3  Thank clement007
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just spent a week at Adakoy and a week on Flotilla. Hotel was one of the prettiest Neilson hotels we have stayed in. Rooms were a bit short on storage space (particularly if you are there for 2 weeks) but were clean and cool. Bathrooms rather on the small side. The food was very good (as usual) and the staff were very helpful. Only one niggle with the hotel - why put liquid soap in the wash hand basin but not in the shower? A bit penny pinching. Water taxi to Marmaris was a good service on the non inclusive nights. Marmaris itself is a town of 2 halves. The old part is good with lots of nice places to eat and drink. The point centre area is like Ibiza on speed!! Overall a very enjoyable holiday - the Flotilla was very good and Mike & Pete worked tirelessly to make sure we had a good time.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms at the back are quite small
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I, with two friends, did the one week yacht training and then one week flotilla. I rate the experience as excellent. The two trainers for the yacht sailing managed to teach 5 absolute beginners and 5 inexperienced sailers to competent crew level with great skill and boundless patience. We started our flotilla week with just enough anxiety to make us careful. We had a fabulous time. Thanks to Mike and Nick.

The flotilla week was superb. The organisation was exemplary and the lead crew worked very hard sorting out the minor upsets of the week (ripped sails in strong winds etc). In addition they made us all feel part of the team with encouraging comments throughout. The evening entertainment (something I would normally avoid like the plague) was extremely well done and brought the crews from the other boats together. Thanks Nick, Steve and Helen.

What did I think of Adakoy? The resort was immaculate. The staff all extremely helpful and attentive. Wifi signal was slightly variable at the bar, but that is not a bad thing when you are on holiday. The transfer by Neilson was as good as a two hours bus trip could be. The only criticisms would be that the entertainment team failed to spot the change in age groups that visit out of school holidays. I didn’t see any teenagers yet the music was directed at that age group.

I agree with the recent comments about Marmaris. There is really nothing good to say about the town at night. We found a good restaurant near the castle on the hill which made the trip worthwhile.

The food was excellent throughout. I find it difficult to believe that people found it repetitive. There were at least 5 different main courses at each meal. The fish was consistently excellent. Also, it is well worth watching the head chef wind surfing on any afternoon with high winds.

Would I go back. Absolutely. I plan to do a week of windsurfing and/or dinghy sailing and a week of flotilla next year. I might even add some tennis to the week.

Room Tip: The entertainment is at the beach bar after 9pm. If you want quiet, then ask to be near the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I've read all the fantastic reviews and whilst it was a great holiday, I'm not going to go overboard like others, as it does have some flaws.

The location is spectacular, hidden from the metropolis of Marmaris by an island, and in a national park, so arriving by boat you don't see it until you're nearly there. The downside is that to get anywhere involves going up a steep hill, or the ferry to Marmaris (just under £20 return for 2 - as its mainly the ferry for staff maybe Neilsons could look at reducing this). We had hoped to explore more of the island itself, but walking or (trying to) cycle up the steep hills to get out became a deterrent after the first few times. The walk to the marina is longer than the 20mins the hotel advised, I didn't time it but 30-40mins I would guess (£6 by taxi). But a must see is the caves, not too far from the hotel (although uphill all the way).

Also to be aware of is the procession of morning pleasure boats from Marmaris, coming close to the hotel to feed the fish then speeding through the sailing area - not following the rules of the road, so must be worrying for anyone learning a watersport.

This was our 3rd Neilson beachclub, and we've also done Sunsail and MW - I think the majority of guests were either like us or "newbies". So knowing what we would get it was an easy holiday, as like many people when we were there we only booked a couple of weeks beforehand. The description of the winds wasn't precise the week we were there, with more than 1 day with light winds all day and one day of very high winds.

We didn't do any of the courses but both had private sailing tuition as a refresher (thank you to a calm Patrick), plus we did a couple of fitness/ stretch classes (very busy). The equipment was good given end of the season is c6 weeks away. However, I'd not appreciated from the description the tiny size of the gym (in the Spa), I can see why it wasn't used much. We also shared a yacht on the final day; Judd who gave us the briefing was excellent. I know many people had hoped to take a yacht out, yet two sat there empty for at least 2 days. Perhaps more could be made of these - like Sunsail?

The food was very good, but as everyone says the buffets can become boring. We came back from a afternoon in Marmaris to eat in on the Bistro night, and were disappointed. The meals we had in the marina restaurant were similar prices but freshly cooked - definitely worth the walk and/ or taxi (excellent free wifi as well, unlike the hotel's very clunky wifi, also only available in a small area).

All the staff were cheerful and friendly, many of the English staff had worked for Neilson's in previous seasons either there or elsewhere, and showed no signs of being stale.

Whilst we would return, the main thing I want to emphasise is the difficulty of going out of the resort. I know many reviews have mentioned it, but if you're not doing any courses and are not an avid sunbather it can become boring. The web site says to ask at the hotel about car hire - we were told to look in Marmaris - not very helpful! I believe one can order a reasonably priced hire car from somewhere at the marina, so we would look into booking for a few days if we go back. The coach trip from the airport gave glimpses of some beautiful scenery and we'd like to see more.

I think my conclusion is read the reviews and work out which reviewer is most like you - eg we can't comment on kids club or tennis, and that may be the essential part of your holiday.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room, do ask to move, there are some small rooms and some with no view. S...
6  Thank banstead
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This may seem a bit of a strange title for an "EXCELLENT" review but the issue I wanted to highlight is that some of the negative reviews we read before going are clearly based on people who did not read the brochure on web site descriptions of this resort.

We had a fantastic holiday and cannot speak highly enough of the resort and the staff.

My wife and I went for a week commencing 14 September 2013, we only booked it 3 days before going. My wife's objective was to grow her confidence in sailing, mine was to brush up my (not very good) tennis skills. Huge tick in box on both counts.

I am a relatively experienced sailor and the brochure highlights the fact there is little wind in the mornings and a moderate one in the afternoon, so apart from the first day when the winds were abnormally strong I did not go out very much - the odd sail on a couple of days. The brochure is absolutely spot on and just about ideal for beginners and those who want to learn or practice a skill. Under the close supervision of the excellent instructors, capsizing into calm warm water builds confidence very rapidly.

Tennis - I just cannot describe my admiration and appreciation of the coaches Jon and Emma (who had only arrived that week). Both of them were full of enthusiasm and helpfully critical to the extent I think everyone I spoke to had come away feeling more confident in their play and had learned a lot. The only criticisms I would make of the tennis set up is that there needs to be more - more courts, more social mix in sessions - and that the guests need to be more honest about their ability level. There were players who had put themselves in the 2nd and 3rd level groups but clearly were out of their depth.

Waterskiing and wakeboarding - conditions are just about ideal for both of these. The shore and boat crews are knowledgable, helpful and encouraging.

Kayaking - apart from the day trips out there are also two sessions on capsize drills and rolls. Quite scary being upside down under water but under Euan's very capable instruction confidence and ability grow quickly. If you are a bit of an adrenalin junkie do them, even if you never intend to kayak again, they are worth doing.

Mountain biking - my wife did a couple of the guided tours and thoroughly enjoyed them. I suspect if you are a fanatical MB rider this may not be the place for you as the off road trails are limited but talking in the bar to those who knew, they seemed to think there was enough to please and even challenge them.

Fitness - attended a couple of these sessions and my only observation was trying to find a class / activity that fitted my abilities, I seemed to fall short of Brain's excellent High Impact workouts (too much when I was playing tennis 3 hours a day as well) and Marianne's more relaxed classes, which were a bit too relaxed for me. This is more about the amount I was trying to pack into a day than any real issue with the classes.

Swimming - definitely go for a swim in the sea, ideally with a mask and snorkel, lots of marine life to be seen. If you want to improve your swimming I cannot think of a better coach than Chris, my wife had a lesson with him and improved more in 30 minutes than she would have thought possible.

Paddleboarding - this is an ideal location to learn to Paddle Board and there are plenty of places to visit - especially the small island.

Sailing - instructors were fantastic, made it interesting and people clearly keen to learn due to their infectious enthusiasm. There is a reasonable range of boats mainly aimed at the beginner / improver (RYA L1 / L2). if you are a regular dinghy sailor do not expect to be out in a F4/5 every day, the brochure is very clear on the winds you can expect. That said I had a couple of good trips out on Darts and Bahias

Accommodation - our room was well furnished and in a good condition given it was then end of the season. We had a room with a large balcony overlooking the pool and glorious sunsets. the bedroom was not as large as those we had at other Neilson resorts but there was an 'annexe' that had a third bed, TV and desk so we never felt claustrophobic.

Food at the resort - we found there was something good to eat at every meal. Some reviewers have complained the food is repetitive and it is true there are always a goodly selection of salads and vegetables at every meal which are similar but different each time. I guess it would be a bit like saying UK Pub Grub is repetitive - steak, burger fish & chips, curry - there is something for everyone.

Food 'ashore'- we did two trips to Marmaris which I think we appreciated as a break from the compactness of the resort. The up side of Marmaris is that there is a huge number of restaurants. Both the meals we had were good quality and reasonably priced - £20 per head for starter, main, and drinks. There are two down sides to Marmaris. it is a place that clearly relies heavily on making it money from the summer tourist and you will be constantly approached to come into each and every restaurant or bar, if you don't like this constant 'marketing' then best to avoid the town. it is no worse and frankly a lot better than we have experienced in other resorts. The second issue is that some of its tourists (mostly Brits!) make Benidorm look quite up market. When you land from the staff ferry you are greeted with a Tattoo parlour and three bars "Ibrox", "Arsenal" and "Manchester United". these along with many of the other bars at that end of town offer Karaoke, 'Foam' parties and dancing until 4 or 5am.

So how could Neilson Adakoy improve from "Excellent" to "Brilliant".

1) Scuba Diving (not the Try Dive) is only available if you take a whole day trip, when you are doing the Sailing or other courses on a 7 day holiday this is not really feasible - a half day option would be good.

2) As a tennis enthusiast, more courts, more social play.

3) Drinks are just on the pricey side of reasonable.

7  Thank Peter2507