“Club Julian” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 233 Hotels in Marmaris
Newport, United Kingdom
“Club Julian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Fantastic holiday, entertainment team was amazing kept you entertained throughout the day. The food was nice but needed more of a variety of food for children. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms kept clean to a good standard. The swimming pool is to a good size but slides should be open more often. Overall a brilliant holiday would definitely go again!

Suzanne Lewis - South Wales, Newport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We chose this 4* hotel based on the reviews on here. When we arrived the staff were very attentive. Upon seeing our room we were initially disappointed with how small it was but we soon adapted to it as our ethos was that we wouldn’t be spending too much time in it. It was very clean but lacking in storage. There was a small wardrobe with 6 hangers but no drawers. Our maid was brilliant, everyday she would clean our room, change the bed and give us clean towels.

The entertainment team were the most enthusiastic we’ve ever seen, but sometimes they were a bit much and in your face. If you don’t want to get involved do not sit around the pool with the slides. The sun beds were an issue. They’re pretty much all but gone by 8am. The die hard tanners would be up at stupid o’ clock to claim their beds. The hotel apparently has a policy whereby if you’re not on your sun bed by 8am then towels will be removed; i only saw this happen once. One man reserved 6 sun beds with towels and didn’t come back to the pool until the afternoon which is a bit unfair. I mentioned this to Samantha (the Manager) and she didn’t particularly bothered.

It seems like they’ve crammed so much into the space they’ve got, i.e. lots of small rooms and 3 pools but there just aren’t enough sun beds to go around.

Food was amazing, so much choice. Best hotel food we’ve ever had. Only disappointment is the a la carte restaurant that doesn’t exist.

If you’re after a Turkish bath/massage ask around at the hotel for Casper or Jesus. We had the deluxe package which was the ultimate in pampering; bath, massage, facial, reflexology, liquid paraffin, the works. We highly recommend this at the start of your holiday. And if you’re after a fun excursion you should try the jeep safari...so long as you don’t mind getting wet.

Location was ok for bars, restaurants and shops but was too hot to do the 30 min walk to the beach, so we often paid approx £5 for a taxi.

Overall we had a very enjoyable relaxing stay at Club Julian but we probably wouldn’t stay there again, mainly because of the amount of people and the distance from the beach.

Room Tip: High floor, block 2 overlooking the children's pool
2 Thank Louise S
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Ok I like to write truthful reviews so it might be long but it will be in depth.

The Hotel.

So myself and my partner choose this hotel based on the fantastic reviews we read about on tripadvisor and because of it's 4* rating, the hotel I'd say was more like a 3 and a half star hotel then a 4 and this is based on when I have previously stayed at 4* hotels you get a little more luxury then a typical 3* hotel but this seemed more like a nice 3* then a 4 because of the decor which wasn't bad but not a 4* and some of the guests hotel (think council estate chavs) let it down though this is not the fault of the hotel its self.

The Rooms.
The room me and my partner had was very small and cramped with only one wardrobe and no chest of draws. The decor was OK and we had a very private balcony which was nice.
The maids came in every single day and made the beds and changed the towels and were very friendly. Rooms were also very clean however we had a pool view and the noise of the evening entertainment was getting annoying, all you could hear was "The music man" and "agadoo" all evening from 9:30 onwards till about half 12am. If you enjoy your sleep I wouldn't recommend having a room near the pool.

The Entertainment.
First off holiday entertainment is not our cup of tea so I'm just commenting on the performance of the entertainment, the entertainers were extremely funny and friendly and really now how to get a crowd and atmosphere going and if you have kids I couldn't recommend this hotel enough to you as the team here really look after the needs of the children and really get them excited while you are relaxing around the pool or having a drink with other adults.
As I said holiday entertainment isn't our thing but if it is your thing you can't go wrong at this hotel! Although to a couple like us who like a bit of luxury we felt at times we was in ITV's Benidorm!

The Food/Restaurant area
We couldn't fault the food, all freshly prepared and presented very nicely with a wide range of things to choose from like curries/fish/italian/Chinese/English and as many different types of salad imaginable! Restaurant was clean and decor again was ok but not 4 star however the staff are so efficient we never had to wait for our dinner plates to be cleared they were so hot on the case! Plus a lot of deserts to choose from to if thats your thing. Also there is a snack bar by the pools that serve amazing ice creams and hot food but we never tried the hot food but it looked very nice and fresh as its BBQ'ed in front of you!

The Bars.
Never had to que really for the drinks as there were always plenty of staff on, some could smile a bit more but with the heat and the long hours they put in I had sympathy for them. They give a generous measure of vodka too if you ask nicely enough and the Turkish beer Effes is lovely and on tap for All Inclusive guests! There are 3 bars in total plus a english pub called the drunken duck but always seemed to be closed?

The pools.
Again were not sit around by the pool people as were get up and explore people but the pools were very busy and some people get up at a stupid hour to reserve sunbeds which I found pathetic! People moaned about the wasps and there really wasn't that many at all and the ones I did see (about 3 maybe) it's because kids and trashy parents don't clean up after themselves which attracts the wasps. The staff are always out to get the cups around the pool so it's not their fault really. There are 3 pools, a small adult pool, a children's pool with a cover over the top to shade it from the 40 degree heat and the main pool with slides which looked like fun and again if you have kids you can not go wrong here.

Finally if you are like me and my partner and like to book excursions there is the most friendly and helpful travel/excursion agents over the road from the hotel to the left called AGO Travel, there are 2 young guys who work here one called batman (funny name I know but lovely guy) and Andy, both were very knowledgeable and cheaper then most the other offices around in Marmaris. We paid 270 Turkish Lira (we tipped 30 lira as they were so nice) and we had 2 full day boat trips, a jeep safari and a day out to the ruined city of Ephesus all of which were amazing and made our holiday complete! Plus Andy recognised me as a Bingo Caller from Essex as his girlfriend is from Basildon and they used to play at the club I work in, such a small world!

Last notes in short here are the positives!

Ok location bit far from the beach but a bus from the top of the road to your left of the hotel will get you there in 5 minutes and at 2 lira a ride its a bargin!
Great food
Great for family's with kids
Friendly welcoming staff
All Inclusive very good!
Pool slides for the kids or young at heart

The Negatives
Small rooms
The feeling of Benidorm
Very loud at night (bring ear plugs!)
More a 3* then a 4* at times
The guests!

Would I stay here again? Probably not but not because its a bad hotel just because it's more catered to family's then couples as its not a romantic hotel. However to a family I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel!

Room Tip: Stay away from pool area if you value a good nights sleep!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank joseph_m_obrien
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

My first time in turkey, turned out to be a fortnight to remember, Definitely a place for all ages, myself and my 2 girls Nicole and Caitlin thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! The hotel staff, especially Sam in Recetion are extremely helpful and friendly. The food was second to none, the rooms clean, airy and tidy. However the entertainment team absolutely made the holiday the best we have ever had, loads of activities and fun galore, from water polo, darts, water aerobics, belly dancing and poolside songs and dances! There were excellent night shows, with the entertainment team going out of their way to make everyone feel welcome and special! I would defo recommend this hotel to everyone and look forward to returning next year. Many thanks from the Rae Family :) xx

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Angie Rae 1808
Downpatrick, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

just back from a 10 night stay at the Julian club hotel. Dont normally write reviews but felt i must as it has been such an excellent experience.First timers to Turkey and a bit unsure, but were pleasantly surprised from the reception staff to the cleaners. i must say a special thankyou to lynsey Thomas cook rep,Samantha hotel liaison, Ayko,Jay,Alex and the rest of entertainment team for making our holiday so memorable.wonderful hotel,wonderful people

Room Tip: if possible get an upgrade to junior suite.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Clara B
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have just arrived home after a week stay at Club Julian with my boyfriend, we had a fantastic time and are hoping to go back! The best thing about the hotel is Alex, Jay, Ayko and the rest of the entertainment team, they work so hard all day, every day and are so helpful and fun at the same time! I really don't understand how anyone can have any complaints about the hotel, I can't fault them on anything. All the hotel staff spoke a good level of English and were always willing to help you. The food was really good- lots of it and a great choice, the puddings and ice cream were the best! The rooms were big enough and cleaned every day. Marmaris is a lovely resort, where theres always something to do, we went on two trips- the all inclusive boat trip and the trip to dalyan. Both trips were both very reasonably priced and I would definitely recommend them. Just opposite the hotel is AGO excursions with Andy and Batman, who were both really friendly and helpful. If you are going to eat out at any point I would recommend Umut restaurant just on the corner next to Ago, the food was lovely and we could not fault Jacob and the rest of the team. Most nights we went there just for one of the cocktails as they were also lovely! Overall, we loved Marmaris and Club Julian and cannot wait to return!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Well. I am going to start by saying i never give a whole 5 stars on ANY review, regardless of how amazing such a place is. The reason for this is because i do not believe that something can be so perfect as to deserve such a flawless rating. However, i have decided to do so for the club Julian. The reason for this is because the staff work really hard ensuring that each of their guests are always satisfied and comfortable and i think for that reason i have given the best rating availiable. This doesn't mean that i think there is nothing wrong with this hotel and as i have previously said in other reviews i will always aim to give my honest opinion, whether positive or negative. I have outlined this review into sections such as food, local area, etc to give you, the reader a good impression of this hotel before you book.

Would i recommend this hotel to a friend or family? Yes.
Would i personally recommend Marmaris to a friend or family? Yes.

First impressions of hotel?
We booked last minute (and i hate doing that) so i had pretty average expectations of this hotel. I imagined a tiny pool with a awful rusty looking old water slide, cardboard beds and so forth. When we arrived to check in, the process was a little slow but i felt relaxed as the inside of the lobby looks reasonably modern and very clean. There was someone to help us with our suitcases. That is always something i appreciate as two young females travelling and stairs leading to hotel room? Not very nice haha.
The hotel is an average, reasonably good size. There are plenty of tables in the buffet area so you dont really struggle to find seating. There are a couple of pool tables which i didnt use, and a tennis court area? Again i didnt use that. There is a really nice looking spa near the reception area; again i didnt bother using. The hotel has a onsite shop, tattoo shop and hairdresser. There are infact 3 pools. Little small compared to what i have previously been used to. The hotel has working lifts providing access to rooms higher in the complex.

Bedrooms?
We stayed in 3211 on the first floor. Not a bad room, balcony was in a nice place surrounded by trees and a small pool view, i didnt mind that. As a 25 year old traveller, i am not really that bothered by a sea view room, that seems like a thing for couples haha. I was a little disappointed by the room to be honest. I know its not something you expect to look really amazing but it was rather plain, and very small. If i stuck my suitcase on the floor next to the dressing table it would virtually take away more than half of the corridor leading to the door and the bathroom. My cousin tripped up on my suitcase a few times. There was only one bedside table between our beds, and it had no draw which i thought was strange. There is a safe avaliable to use and i always advise getting one, even just to store your TL and take what you need out with you. There was no visible signs of eroding in the bathroom or the bedroom, as far as i can remember. The rooms were cleaned daily. we left a note and a tip for our cleaner but that didnt seem to make any resounding difference at the quality of the cleaning. There is a air con in the room. If your travelling with others and you strange and you like to leave the air-con all night, please pay a little respect to those poor souls like me that get cold REALLY easy and wake up freezing during the night with the thin little bed sheet your provided. Please be aware that the air-con is a pretty decent machine and it will pump that cold air around the room in a circle for hours and hours until you turn it off, or raise the temperature to atleast 26 before the air feels warm. The room did not have enough plug sockets. We had access to just two which got irritating when you want to charge your phone, then your kindle, then your cousin wants to use your hair straighteners. Television was a tad dated; didnt really care about that because i dont think its really an important issue for someone to really pay attention to.

Pool area?
Urm. Not the BEST pool area ive seen from any hotel but not terrible. The pools are an average, square size. I barely had an oppertunity to use them as when i wasnt sunbathing, i was on a excursion. The main pool is always BUSY. Dont bother going there if you dont like kids and want peace and quiet because you will not find it around that pool.Sunbeds around this area go quickly aswell. As i never bothered to get a sunbed in that area i cant tell you what time you would need to wake up but common sense tells me the average "holiday" wake up time is 6.30-7.00am if you want a decent sunbed in the place you wanted, with a umbrella so on so forth. Before i went to Club Julian i checked reviews from previous travellers and apparently the "reservation" of sunbeds wasnt allowed. I was quite impressed by this until i wake up at 7.20 am on the second day, head downstairs and i kid you not, there was no sunbeds. We had to resort to using the chairs by the pool bar. Not pleasant when you previously damaged your Coccyx. This seemed to be a recurrant issue. People would wake up early for sunbeds, and then barely use them the whole day. There was a broadcast from the hotel owner later in the week stating that if people are NOT on the sunbeds they "reserved" by 8am, their towels would be removed. I think this is a pretty fair ask. Yeah so between 7-8am for sunbeds. Just the way it is. There is a "quiet" pool and a childs pool. NO pool in this hotel is quiet. Its a very busy, lively hotel. That should be expected by the number of returning guests this hotel generates, as well as the location and time of year of travel. Your going to the wrong hotel if you are fond of tranquility and quiet. Pool area is clean. There were a few wasps around which are attracted to fizzy drinks so be mindful of this.

Food? All inc? Drinks?
Quite simply put; there is a wide enough variety, anyone who complains about the food is being picky and i would personally disregard their opinions. There is a good mixture of meat from what i remember; not just chicken. What many "low scorer" reviewers dont realise is this is not England; this is Turkey. Turkey has its own population of animals, and in Turkish cooking, most widely popular meat is Lamb and Chicken. Thats the reality, accept it. If your not a huge meat lover, like myself, then you will find plenty of food that doesnt have meat in it. If your SO FUSSY you cant even try anything that doesnt look English, there is one section of the buffet which has beans, chicken nuggets, spagetti bolognaise and chips; everyday. I personally didnt have a problem with any food. None of it gave me any stomach problems, none of it was uncooked, or had something wrong with it. Same goes for lunch and breakfast. Please dont bother complaining about lack of bacon.......Turkish muslims DO NOT EAT PORK thus would not serve it. Good luck finding ANYWHERE in Turkey that has pork. For those that like Chorizo, i actually recommend trying a turkish sausage called Pastourma. I think i may have spelt it right. Its very similar but again, its not made from pork. Embrace the fact your in another country and be willing to try different food, its all part of the fun =).
There is always fresh bread avaliable, and plenty of desert to choose from also. Watch your diet out there as if travelling all inclusive, it is very easy to overeat without being aware of doing so. The hotel has a selection of drinks availiable with their all inclusive deals. Again there was never a problem with this either. You can have any cocktail from sex on the beach to the blue lagoon, if you fancy it. There is also vodka, coke, diet coke, fanta....etc. These all inclusive deals are not open all day and night. I think that the all inclusive bar by the pool closes at 11.30pm. If drinking alcohol, anywhere in Marmaris (not just the hotel) they dont measure by the shot glass. It just gets poured in. Whilst this may sound blissful, enabling you to be drunk quicker, i infact advise that you are more careful about your consumption keeping in mind that you can drink more alcohol than you usually would, especially if young travellers are with you. if you miss breakfast, lunch or dinner, there is still plenty of choice in other parts of the hotel, such as ice cream, pancakes and burgers by the pool bar.

Health implications?
Errrmm. I was fine the whole holiday although i always advise people to take plenty of tablets for most typically regarded conditions that arise on holiday, plasters, headache tablets and so on. I did pack a mosquito spray as ive always remembered as a child having being bitten so many times, but i didnt even encounter any. Last time i went to Turkey in 2010, i went Icemeler one night and along the beach front i was bitten a few times. I would bring a small bottle just in case. Eating raw vegetables and salad seemed to be fine in the hotel. I am not sure about outside. I always say "better to be safe than sorry". Its very true in this case.

Service?
Big big FACTOR for any hotel i stay in, to the rating they recieve from me. I found staff in this hotel to be generally quite polite. I dont think i can remember finding any rude, or obnoxious.They replaced our broken key card with no questions, and kindly gave me a spare when i was unable to get into the room one night. They also work long and hard taking care of the gardens around the hotel, cleaning your rubbish, cleaning your rooms etc..

First choice holidays?
I am going to keep this section brief. Our rep was okay. Not very informative. I knew more about Turkey and the local area than she did, it seemed. I found her to be a little unprofessional at times, stating that it was her ex boyfriend doing the bar crawl organised by First choice representatives (because i needed to know that?). She wasnt around to give us our paid bar crawl t-shirts. MY cousin needed to ask someone else instead and it was lucky he had two in our size. Saying that; dont bother with the bar crawl. You pay £10 for the most expensive night of your life. Go out and find the clubs/bars you want to yourself. It will save you money and stress trying to conserve all the money you can to last the whole night with the reps. I had spent in the first club 50TL out of 100 (which i was told would be the max i would need) on two pints of Efes...(local drink) and two shots. The Efes cost 24TL without a discount applied. The dreamliner plane is excellent btw. Hopefully you got to trial it like we did before it ends up being used for long haul flights only.

Animation team?
When i was very young, my mum and dad used to always to go Turkey, so i am quite experienced when it comes to the country. When its an animation team, as a child, i always joined in and i would go mad for it as i loved to dance and bounce around and be stupid haha. As i got older, particularly in the last few years, my experience of animation teams abroad (anywhere) has been sour and negative. I've either avoided them, or completely disliked all of them. However, this animation team; Ayko, Alex, Tito, Omid, Jay, Cemre etc are all fantastic and beautiful people. What is refreshing is they werent persistently annoying like i've experienced before, rude or inclined to throw around perverted and unwelcome comments. They are really funny, hardworking, passionate people who clearly love their work and i think thats invaluable. They organised a few club nights whilst i was there also, which was implemented in a professional manner at all times. I would like to thank them all personally for making my holiday so enjoyable.Umid's belly dance routine was amazing to watch. I am going to incorporate it into my pole dancing training to make it look a little more graceful so thank you for that =).

Location?
Marmaris is a nice resort because it has everything there. Ive been to Marmaris a total of 3 times so far and i would go back again. When considoring the whole of Turkey its important to factor what sort of holiday you are looking for. Icmeler is a more quiet town right next to Marmaris and has a much better beach. This is the only unfortunate factor in the appeal or Marmaris- the beach is awful. Olu Deniz and Hisaronu, even Izmir are lovely areas and a bit more quiet but still lively enough. There are many bars and restaurants in Marmaris including a castle if your into history and ruins like i am. Marmaris harbour has its own bazaar complete with a range of spices, Elma Chai (Apple tea which i LOVE!), turkish coffee, turkish delight, jewellery, clothes, perfume etc so your not short on buying gifts for people. Marmaris is a loud resort so if you dont like noise late into the evening, maybe think of somewhere else. Remember to HAGGLE as the first price they offer isnt always what the product is actually worth. Dalaman airport is atleast an hours drive from the hotel itself, so its quite a distance away. Ive previously stayed along the beach front of Marmaris with a short walk to the harbour. There is a number 2 Dolmas bus which can be taken from outside the hotel into the harbour. I would estimate walking to the harbour to take around 20-25 minutes. I like walking so this isnt a problem for me, but for those that dont, there is the bus or a 15TL taxi drive into the centre. There is plenty of restaurants and bars locally around the hotel. I would personally try to avoid cheeky boys if you are a young female, as they have a very forward way of approaching you which can be offputting. This leads on to my second point; safety is always imperative, no matter where you are. I always prefer to make sure no matter what place i am, whoever i am with, i am always safe within a small range of the hotel or i know roughly where i am. Due to my knowledge of the local area, i did not think it was so bad for me but i did encounter a few strange and uncomfortable moments particularly on the Icmeler beach where i was followed by a Kurdish local all the way to Bar street (filled with clubs for tourists) which was unpleasant. Always and please make sure you are safe. A majority of turkish people are very nice, but there are some young males who will take advantage of vulnerable young travellers, particularly by using alcohol or by trying to find similarities to draw conversation from. Outside the hotel there are always security avaliable outside if you encounter any problems. I tried to take the approach of friendly declining any "offers" but somtimes i think being more firm is the better option when dealing with particular individuals. I do not know if being spiked is a common thing to happen in Turkey and ive not known it to happen but i would still strongly advise you use your common sense when leaving the hotel at ALL times. When crossing the road, drivers wont stop for you so look where you are going.

Excursions?
When in turkey, i dont really ever both booking my excursions with my travel operator. Reason for this is Turkey is relatively safe to be able to book outside. Ive always done it, and never encountered any major problems. This doesnt mean there arent any so when your walking past a trip provider, again use common sense. Thomas cook, first choice etc offer exactly the same trips for BLOATED prices. This i can promise you. There is a tour operator outside called Argo travel. I do recommend them, but please make sure you are clear with the trips you want to go on and use your voice wisely as most operators will try and encourage you to do as much trips as possible. If you love sight-seeing the country i recommend Ephesus and Pammukale. Pammukale is turkish for cotton castle. Its beautiful and worth seeing. Ephesus are ruins. If you go to Ephesus dont forgot sun tan lotion as it is VERY hot there and the arrangement of ruins can trap the heat so it feels hotter than probably in your hotel. Jeep safaris are amazing, no matter what resort you are in. Dalyan is also a lovely trip, involving seeing turtles and the famous rock tombs. There is plenty to do in Turkey depending on who you are and your preferences. We missed a trip with Argo travel and they were kind enough to allow us to do the same trip on another day, thankfully. If you do not wish to book with Argo travel, there are plenty of different excursion operators literally ALL OVER Marmaris so dont feel pressured to go with one. When going on the trips, wear suitable clothing especially for the jeep safari as they literally drench you in water for a good half of the day.
Hotel is EXCELLENT for families and they have plenty to do with the animation team.

Useful information?
There are english staff working within the hotel if you struggle to communicate something you need to say, have any concerns etc.
Always wear sun lotion!!! AND aftersun!!
Pack a hat. You can burn your scalp too you know.
The jotel exchanges English currency for Turkish at a reasonable exchange rate.
There are plenty of banks and cash machines if you need extra money abroad.
The hotel has a wifi connection, but it costs to use it.
Tip in English Sterling. It is generally preferred.
The hottest part of the day is between 12-3pm. If you are not careful and avoid the sun during these hours, you risk the chance of burning and serious skin damage.
There are cats around the hotel. i wouldnt see any harm in feeding them and i did a few times. Please be careful to avoid being bitten as i cannot sure sure these wild animals are vaccinated, but i think they are used to being in human company. I wouldnt like to tempt fate though so avoid handling.

I think that about covers everything. The club Julian is a fantastic hotel with reasonably good value for money. I would return and i am considering doing so to gather research for a college project before i return to university in late August (plus i would enjoy the idea of spending my birthday out there...). I work in Psychology and i am curious to know whether there is a market for such in Turkey as i am not entirely aware and the affect this has on local people as it is so readily avaliable in the UK so this would be a fantastic input for my dissertation. None-the-less, if you are reading this review and still not sure please do not hesitate to ask me any other questions regarding the hotel, the local area etc and i will do my best to return to you within reasonable time. If you look at the Club Julian as being a decent, all rounder four star, it meets these expectations. It is by no means a five star. If you want five star service, stay somewhere else. I dont think though, beyond any reasonable doubt that you would completely regret staying in this hotel.

So book now and go =)

Room Tip: We had room 3211. I think if you pay the extra you get a much nicer and bigger suite on the top floo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends