“Brilliant Location in Turunc”
Review of Zeybek Hotel

and 1 more site!
Zeybek Hotel
Ranked #36 of 79 Marmaris B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at the Zeybek for 2 nights and would recommend it for the brilliant location right on the beach. The hotel is basic but has everything you need to enjoy your holiday. All the staff are helpful and friendly especially Ahmed and Sedat who really looked after us during our stay. We enjoyed having our breakfast on the terrace overlooking the sea and the beautiful view.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Molly H

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel room was the right size for two adults and bathroom was fine too, only problem was the water would smell sometimes, but no one can really control this. The room was cleaned everyday and we actually got to meet the cleaners when we returned to our room early after breakfast, they are lovely and so helpful and very greatly if you help them out i.e. have put all your rubbish in a bag etc. There is the morning prayers and days prayers, which are bellowed out by the mosque(I think its a mosque) a few places down, and the first couple of days it will awaken you, but again this cannot be blamed on the hotel and it will happen in any Muslim county. Air con was great, you can change the settings and angles etc. and cost £35 for the 7/8 days we were there. (paid on arrival and in English money)

We went for just breakfast included and its was good, though it can get boring after a few days. its traditional English breakfast. For dinner we wanted to experience the Turkish food and so ate out.

The hotel area is very laid back and I didn't feel unsafe at all in the area, and the people did not hassle you (apart from the Monday market, so avoid this if you hate being pulled here and everywhere by people selling stuff) . The beach was hot so take beach shoes, others wise you have to sprint to the water. The water is a little cold when you first get in but is so nice once you have plunged in. The hotel is on the beach and so you can just go to the beach when you wake up in the morning. The area is ok to snorkel a little, the water is crystal clear. The area had many shops or mixed items to buy souvenirs and also local food and items. If you are looking for day trips there are many places to find the same things, shop around to find the best deal, or you can save time but spend maybe £10 more from all the haggling and go across the road from your hotel to a place called J&M , they are amazing and have good deals, we booked all 5 of our trips here and they are very good quality control trips and high standards from here. We book 5 trips for £110 (scuba diving, argean sea bbq, turtle beach, Turkish bath and Rhodes)

The area has cats that are local, however all are healthy and well and will not harm you unless aggravated. The animals are taken in in the winter and given jabs and treatments and then re released in the streets during the tourist times. The cats really add a little something to your stay.

Overall a great hotel which i'd rate as a 3* not a 2* as its a lot better than some of the 3* hotels in marmaris which are horrendous.

I recommend this hotel for those looking to experience the culture and just looking for a nice room to sleep in for the night and keep yourself kept, its really good and well worth the very small priced we paid for it.

(couple age 20 +21)

Room Tip: You can request a second floor room or third , as the first floor, most are looking into the restaur...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sportyabi007
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Turunc is a beautiful, restful place, a World away from the hubbub of Marmaric & Icmeler.

The Zeybek is very basic. The rooms are small, but the hotel frontage is FEET from the beach.

The staff are friendly (Ahmed & Sadat particularly) & the rooms are cleaned daily. Aircon is a MUST, but beware of what you are charged. We stayed 3 nights in June & were charged £20.

The beach is sandy, but the clear blue sea is a little rocky, so beach shoes are adviseable. The hotel has it's own, free sunbeds.

The breakfast is basic Turkish cuisine, which we enjoy - and there's plenty of it. There are excellent, reasonably priced restaurants very close by, notably The Korfez and the Mime'm (strange name) next door.

A slight down side was the behaviour of the Turkish holidaymakers. They tended to go on the beach, leaving their children to run amok in the swimming pool. This continued daily, despite numerous complaints from adult British residents.

We enjoyed it however and seemingly picked a bad week. We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room. Rooms 103-107 face onto the swimming pool on the ground floor, with a cle...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed June 25, 2013

What a pity I find myself writing this kind of review, a Travel Agent for over 25 years with a vast experience of travel and hotels all over the world ...........
Firstly I would like to say that I will try to be objective, in my experience everyone has very different expectations. and therefore I can only speak from mine. As we had not paid for a five star hotel I was not expecting five star standards and having travelled to Turkey on many previous occasions had a rough idea of what to expect. This was our first time in Turunc and I can honestly say one of the nicest resorts we have ever been to. A small village atmosphere, extremely friendly people(both Turkish and British), no hassle, no loud music all night and definitely to be recommended if you are looking for beautiful scenery, good eateries and relaxation this will suit perfectly. The beach is gravelly and rocky on the shoreline so not perfect but can be excused as the only fault I could find with the resort............
The Zeybek however a different story ....... Arrived at the hotel after a very long transfer over the mountains at approx. 4.30am very tired and ready to fall into bed. We asked after reading other reviews for a sea facing room and was shown to room 106. The room was VERY small and very basic on the corner of the front, and although it was a sea facing room to speak of, we also overlooked a shower and an eight foot wall, The balcony was tiny and a peculiar shape so the plastic table and chairs out on the balcony barely fit into the space. The room had only a wardrobe and two single beds and one bedside cabinet. The furniture being the most basic that can be bought, rickety and painted the most awful petrol blue/green colour. Not that any of this really bothered or surprised me it really was pretty much what I expected.
What I didn't expect and the experience I will now share is the whole downer on the hotel and the reason I will not return to the Zeybek and would not recommend anyone else go there either............after being shown our room my hubbie decided that the A/C was an absolute essential and went right back to reception to make the arrangements for us to have for the 15 nights we were there and he had £334 taken from his wallet by the receptionist (in Euros, Sterling and Turkish Lira) to pay for it as he was told he had to pay in Sterling for A/C but didn't have enough to cover it so the other currencies were taken to make up the shortfall. At the time I admit I didn't realise quite how much he had paid but knew instinctively that he had been overcharged and went myself to reception to query the cost. (Bear in mind here that we are now at 5.00am after leaving home 15 hours earlier and extremely tired ) I was shown another guest card by the receptionist which showed that the guest had paid £55 for 5 nights and told "this is what the English pay". In a complete brain fog and unable to work out exchange rates for Euros and Turkish Lira I accepted his explanation (foolish me!!!) and went back to the room for a sleep. Awakening the next day refreshed, we progressed with the holiday. Shaken by the expense of the A/C financially stretched us and meant there were many things we were unable to do which we had originally planned and in all honesty it began to irk that what had started out as a cheap hotel had in fact ended up very expensive and then naturally I started looking for the faults.
The same receptionist offered us an upgrade to half board at only 25 TRY for the two of us per night being left very short of cash we accepted the offer and then wished we hadn't. Please do not bother with the half board (even if you are offered it free) .................. there is no variety whatsoever (same food every night, repetitive, boring, yawn, yawn, yawn) and there are SO many good eateries around where you can get everything from a burger and chips to traditional Turkish food.
We did look around the resort for alternative accommodation for future reference and to be honest found some superb alternatives, discussing these with one of our fellow guest one evening we were overheard by a new waiter who had appeared at the hotel a couple of days earlier and this is where our story becomes really ugly ......................read on if you can be bothered this will vindicate my anger and justify the review........
Alternative accommodation we had found had advised us that they would charge £20.00 per night INCLUDING A/C !!!!!!!!!! On hearing this the waiter proceeded to tell us that this could not be true and that if accommodation was cheap there must be some hidden agenda. Out of curiosity my hubbie asked the new waiter "what is the charge here for A/C" and we were told - GET THIS - £20.00 per week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely flabbergasted we told the waiter what we had paid. he seemed shocked and told us we must speak with the hotel Manager about this as the original receptionist had been sacked for "indiscretions". My hubbie went to speak with the Manager (one of them - there seems to be a family going on with big boss, middle boss and little boss ??????) who feigned not to understand at all what were speaking about and intimated at this point were lying as we hadn't reported this incident to him earlier. We tried in our best broken Turkish to explain but he didn't listen. We again put it down to experience only to be dragged off the beach the following day for a confrontation directly with the receptionist who had been sacked and brought back to speak to us. At this point in time we were surrounded in a small reception area of the hotel with the said sacked receptionist, the waiter, the "big" boss, "middle" boss and a Turkish female "boss wife". After a very heated debate with lots of crying and suicide threats by the sacked receptionist the "big" boss who can neither speak or understand English (allegedly) shouted in absolute rage at us to " GET OUT OF HIS HOTEL, WE ARE BAD FOR HOTEL REPUTATION, HE IS VERY GOOD HOTEL FOR 55 YEARS " Naturally we are shocked, I personally am VERY frightened by raised voices and finger pointing and the total lack of any attempt at all to even pacify or apologise to us. Just as a footnote, we didn't at ANY time request a refund or compensation for the incident, we would have put the whole thing down to our own stupidity for allowing it to happen in the first place, and let sleeping dogs lie but we were told by the Waiter that we must speak to the Manager and he watched us until we did...............
Bitter taste, you bet !!!! As said before I have travelled the world over, I have been ripped off before and no doubt will be again (it goes with the territory, travel, foreign country, tiredness, exchange rates etc) but I hope NEVER to be treated with such indignity and rudeness again as we were by the Management at the Zeybek !!!!!!!!!!! It was a truly scary experience and sad to see the sacked receptionist cry and threaten suicide in front of everyone. We were the victims in all of this but were told via some vague translation that we were the thieves and the liars.
Needless to say the Zeybek does not get my recommendation, be warned it could just as easily been you. We all think it wont happen to us but it did, the best advice I can give is to ask the price, get a receipt for what you pay and don't let your bar or food bill accumulate, pay as you go - ours wasn't the only discretion which came to light afterwards !!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 61shabri61
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Zeybeck is a typical basic Turkish hotel, the room was of adequate size with a balcony unfortunately we didn't get a sea view. The hotel was spotlessly clean with the bedding and towels changed every day we were there. The staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed half board, the breakfast was basic and the same every day, The evening meal was also basic with no choice of main course, we only ate twice in the week we stayed as there are plenty of reasonably priced restaurants in the town. On the deal we booked the half board option was only a few pounds dearer for the week so we took it intending to only eat once or twice in the hotel. The best thing about the Zeybeck is its location it is in the middle of the town right on the promenade with spectacular views of the bay from the terrace where the bar and restaurant were. It has its own beach area with free sun loungers and a small pool. The Zeybeck is a good basic Turkish hotel. If you Intend to eat your meals in your hotel go some where else, however if you intend to eat out and need a good basic clean hotel in a good location then the Zeybeck ticks all those boxes.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phil123_13
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Arrived on the 20th May and initially after the journey was a little disappointed, however when I woke in the morning and saw the view of the pool and the beach and then had a lovely Turkish breakfast I was happier. Yes the rooms are basic but they are cleaned everyday along with fresh sheets and I was only going to sleep there anyway. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful and would happily go back, I got a very good deal through Travel Republic and when you weigh up the cost with what you get it, really it was a bargain, if I'd paid four star money maybe I wouldn't have been happy? Anyway had a great holiday, my mum and step dad also stayed and felt the same as me.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room facing the sea but upstairs if its overlooking the restaurant, I had on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DG1970Cambs_
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Tis was our second stay at the Zeybek Hotel, well we did'nt stay. We arrive to be given a room approx 7 x 7 with 2 very small single beds and a wardrobe, We went straight back to reception to requeschange, only to be told we must wait 30mins for the Manager. When he returned he basically said "TOUGH LUCK" its this room or nothing. We said "DO YOU NOT HAVE ANOTHER ROOM" he said yes but you cannot have any of them! We explained that we had book last September and were very unhappy, but he did'nt care. The hotel is under new Ownership this year, and they just did'nt care, so NO HOTEL for us, even though we had paid 50% more this year than last year.

Room Tip: This hotel does have some good rooms overlooking the pool, but even if you book them you probably wo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple