“The Mountain Lodge: excellent place near Fethiye, mountain breathing, yummy food, lovely host”
Review of Mountain Lodge

Mountain Lodge
Ranked #7 of 132 Specialty Lodging in Fethiye
Arendonk, Belgium
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Always a lovely break to come at the Mountain Lodge when I’m in Turkey. It’s really such a nice break comparing with the touristic city area’s around the south west coast. All rooms with their own creations and theme’s are in good shape and condition. And the scenery views with the sunsets over the valley is good for an everyday relaxing moment.
But watch out, when you ones visit the Mountain Lodge with the friendly hospitality of the host Mel and her staff there is no way back. For sure you are coming back in the future.
So if you want a relaxing time on Turkish mountain- and countryside I can highly recommend this place. Also on short distance there are several ancient sites to visit. I can’t wait for my next visit. Just join me.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed at the Mountain Lodge in Tlos, 30km inland from Fethyie (about 25 mins). We have 2 kids, 6 & 4. We stayed here for 5 nights. The accomodation is fantastic - we had a large spacious room for 4 . There is a great sized pool, guinea pigs, chooks and georgous kittens our kids wanted to take home. There are great cushioned decks and hammocks to veg out in. Can not recommend this place more. The owner Mel was an incredible hostess. The chef Elias was a great cook and great host. They took care of our every need. We felt apart of the family. Mel shared some of her cooking secrets with me and we even had a spontaneous night of belly dancing with Mel and some of the other guests there. Stay here, forget the over crowded Fethyie. Thankyou for a memorable stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We want to express our joy and hapiness we had during our stay in your "heaven"-lodge which seemed more a paradise than a mountain. We can recommend this to all people in the world; unless they only like "hamburgers"...then they should stay where they belong. Many hugs and kisses from Belgium - Nady and Georgy.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Stowmarket
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Stayed overnight and wish it had been so much longer. Stunning situation, large room, very clean with all amenities. Beautifully kept gardens. Excellent food and Mel the hostess could not do enough for you, but unobtrusive at the same time. Lovely pool. Ignore comment in one guide book about an English Pub - couldn't be further from the truth.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ngkg
Yorkshire
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This was our first visit to Turkey and we decided to do an hors d'oevre - stopping in different places - town - coastal tree house - picturesque coastal town and here at THE MOUNTAIN LODGE in the village of Yaka. A wonderful quiet setting on the side of a mountain plain. Carefully designed in an English-style stone - making the most of the sun - with a pool, bar and outdoor seating (for eating or lounging)...a very appealing setting and style.

We were welcomed by Mel (Turkish but with fluent English) and shown to our en-suite room. A large (perhaps slightly dark) room with a stream running outside. Wonderful creative garden and a glorious view. We were informed that, as it was Mel's birthday party that evening ,we would be most welcome to join her. And we did. A wonderful evening meeting her multi-national group of friends and family from near and far.

Whilst there, we visited Tlos (an extremely ancient city) and Yaka Park - a bizarre waterpark restaurant & bar where the trout swim around the bar! Fethiye is 30 minutes away if desperate for the city life!

By the time we left we felt that we'd met some fascinating and lovely people...an unusual and delightful place to stay/explore from. Would certainly recommend MOUNTAIN LODGE to anyone who enjoys being somewhat off the beaten track whilst maintaining home comforts.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jingle05
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I stayed at the Mountain Lodge on my first visit to Turkey and did not leave disappointed. The lodge is located away from the hustle and bustle of the big towns, giving a great insight into rural Turkey where you can witness real Turkish life rather than that set up for tourists. The owner, Mel, lives on site with her family and was great at showing me some of the Turkish customs including Turkish coffee readings! For sightseeing the lodge was conveniently located for the nearby ruins of Tlos and Saklikent Gorge and bizarre bars/restaurants where trout swim on the top of the bar!

The rooms are based in a number of pictoresque buildings. There is an outdoor swimming pool which was very refreshing after the heat and outdoor hammocks to gaze at the stars from. For me it was the perfect relaxing holiday with a good insight into Turkish life thrown in.

The hospitality shown to me by the staff was by far one of the best I have received whilst travelling and I left Turkey with amazing memories and an understanding of why people return year after year. I for one will be returning.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank EKTOrganiser
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I was really excited about this hotel. I took a gamble as I usually don’t book hotels unless they have good reviews on trip advisor, but all seemed well with this hotel. The gamble did not pay off. The hotel is in a beautiful setting, though a bit off the beaten track, near the ruins of Telos.

We arrived to the hotel in the late afternoon and found the site disheveled with tools and toys scattered along the walk. The pool was filled with dirty water with sticks and a piece of wood floating on the top. We stood out there for awhile thinking no one was there as the gate was shut in front and there was no sign of life. After several minutes Mel appeared in paint clothes and questioned “were you suppose to be here today?” I had emailed her a month earlier changing my arrival time by one day, she later admitted she forgot about that.

We were given two rooms; one was not clean and full of beer cans and bottles, so we went and sat in the other room. As we sat I noticed on one of the beds there was a huge fly nest with flies crawling all over the place. I removed the nest and as many flies as I could find crawling on the bedspread and flying around the room. After awhile the other room was ready and the three single ladies took off to their room. There were now more flies flying around and I noticed on the other bed where the gals were sitting there were more fly nests with flies crawling all over the bed spread. I asked Mel if we could change rooms and she moved us to another room. The next room’s bed sheets were damp from humidity and half the light bulbs didn’t work, but I was happy at that moment not to have bugs in the room.

Okay it started off bad, but I wrote it off to her forgetting we were coming that day. The rooms weren’t ready, the rooms weren’t inspected and the property was not cleaned up.

The website claimed that half board was included with the price (I was later informed this was new and was not included in the price I saw on the website in the fall, thought I clearly saw this… I have never stayed at a hotel for half board before, so I would not have ever expected it unless I read it) so we had dinner at the Mountain Lodge. We went over to the gals room to pick them up and were informed that they were having a bug problem… which we figured out were bugs that had crawled onto our friend that was sitting on the nests on the bed.

Dinner was lackluster, dry chicken, okay Turkish appetizers, this was my 6th trip to Turkey, so I’m no expert on Turkish food but I have a good basis, and this was not good. The next night the appetizers were similar, though the fish was pretty decent. The meals ended up costing us 25 YTL each which I thought was astronomical, as recent as 2007 Mel was only charging 7YTL, so not sure why it was so much more expensive. We had some really good meals down in Fetheyie that were far superior that we didn’t pay half of that, in Istanbul we eat at places like Haci Abdulah’s and are hard pressed to spend 25YTL.

After dinner I told my wife I wanted to leave the next day and move onto a different hotel. The whole place made me uncomfortable and she talked me into staying. She thought it just got off to a bad start. We wanted to write it off to her forgetting we were coming that day, and everything fell apart because of it. The rooms weren’t ready, the rooms weren’t inspected, dinner was not ready to be served and the property was not cleaned up.

The next day we waited around for breakfast and it finally arrived, it was actually quite good. We left the hotel hoping for a better day. We had a blast checking out sites, and going down to Fetheye, we returned for dinner and Mel seemed in a very unfriendly mood. Dinner was served we ate and we sat around for an hour or so. I had hoped to pay Mel before the next day, but she never came back, the rest of the guest had gone to their rooms and then the lights went out on the property, we assumed that was the cue for us to leave as well. We didn’t see Mel until the next morning when she gave me the bill and informed me that the prices on the website changed since I initially booked and that meals were not included and that they were a whopping 25YTL per person per night. I was shocked… I was lucky to have been carrying that kind of cash. The bill ended up being way more than we expected.

I brought several people along for the trip with me, unfortunately one forgot their phone at Mel’s and contacted her shortly thereafter. Mel first said she couldn’t mail the phone, then that a friend would bring it back to the states, then the friend forgot it in Turkey, then the friend mailed it (not sure how that worked since they forgot to bring it back to the US), then the phone was returned because of an incorrect address. It’s been nearly 2 months now!

Mel also harassed me on emails about another negative post she received on TripAdvisor. I told her it was not me (it was not me) and she called me a liar. Then she kept sending emails to my friend who lost her phone about the post, I think this is why the phone never came.

In all my years of international travel I have never been more disappointed. Maybe it was because the hotel over promised and under delivered. Clearly no matter if I was charged for the food wrongly, or if it was a website error, or a bad time of year, or chalked up to Mel forgetting we were coming, I would say this place is terrible value. I would never go here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family