“Value for money - Lovely people”
Review of Area Otel

Area Otel
Ranked #53 of 102 Hotels in Fethiye
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We landed in Turkey in the middle of the night and transferred to an apartment which had been lent to us by extended family rent free. However on waking up in the morning we realised we were in the middle of nowhere. After a long walk, a chat with a Scottish ex-pat and a bus ride we found a beach. This was Calis beach.

At lunchtime we went to the nearest bar (1905 part if The Area Otel) for some refreshments and got chatting to the helpful barman. He offered for us to use the facilities of the hotel. This included a very nice swimming pool and comfy sun beds. The pool and bar area was spotless. On discussing our quandary of our current accommodation we decided to have a look at the hotel's rooms. We looked at a family room and a double. Both were simply furnished, not a lot to them, the family room had a very small balcony which seemed strange as it slept more people?! However both rooms were very clean.

My partner then did some haggling and managed to get a good price for 6 nights not including food. It was worth it. The hotel looks out onto the beach and we watched the most beautiful sunsets. The hotel was clean and as it was the end if the season we were invited to eat breakfast from a buffet each morning, again simple but more than adequate.

All the staff were great and as they unfortunately had to let the barman go on our second day (drunk on duty!) another man Ayhan stepped in, who had previously been selling us a trip to turtle beach.
This is no top class hotel by any means, but you cannot fault the staff from the cleaners, chef, reception and bar all were really helpful. We asked for extra pillows, sheets and blankets and nothing was too much trouble. When my sister in-law had turkey belly they made some sort of herb cocktail to try and help.
I also forgot to mention they drove us all the way back to our old apartment to get our belongings for free.
The location is perfect for a variety of bars and restaurants, however we were out of season and it may be a bit noisy when in full swing July/August. It was so peaceful for us in October half term.

I cannot understand previous reviews about the staff as we could not fault them. The hotel is a little bit tired, our shower leaked and the pillows were a bit hard but this did not affect our holiday. If you want luxury then no it's not for you, if you want a clean room, friendly staff and a great location to go out during the day and night to sample Turkish delights then this is it.
We had a great time and would like to thank all the people at the Areal Otel

Room Tip: The double rooms at the back have beautiful views if the beach and sunsets, worth asking for!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Natee290

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I have been sailing in Turkey for several months. Unfortunately the boat needed to come put of the water, so i needed a few nights ashore

The strip at Callis seemed a good option. Very touristy, but a pleasant enough strip of beach with plenty of local restaurants and bars

I wandered past the Area. The pool area looked ok so decided to check in for a few nights

The room rate quoted seemed more an exercise in the manager sizing up what he thought he could get away with. For 120 l anight i couldnt be bothered to haggle

The room is small, but the rwal issue was its filthy condition

Dirty floor was slightly sticky - i laid towels to prevent walking on it

The shower had several small cakes of used soap, one covered in strands of hair from a previous guest. The fungus and mold growing out of the shower abd sink overflow would only be of interest to Porton Down scientists. All surfaces were stained and dirty so i put my toothbrush etc in my bag rather than on the shelf.

The bed did not have a sheet or pillowcases. A call to reception elicited two sheets. One as a flat sheet over the matteess liner, the other to wrap the pillows

Returning to the hotel after dinner i asked rhe barman to let me use a corkscrew to open a bottle of wine i intended to drink in my room. He opened the bottle, poured out a large glass for himself and told me it was a "service charge"

In summary this hotel lacks any real mangement. I just thought it comedic and simply left after one night without wasting my time arguing with these fools. I took a flight to Istanbul and checked into the Crowne Plaza for a few days instead

For a family who might have the misfortune to stay here as their main holiday, the hotel is no joke. It's a massive insult to the hospitality industry in Turkey

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank lighthouse3132
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My family has been traveling around Turkey for almost two weeks. Therefore, I know my issues with this hotel are just about this hotel. This has been the worst stay in Turkey. Turkish friendly hospitality dies not exist here. First, the hotel offers rooms in various ways. We were given a price with breakfast included. They tried to charge us extra for breakfast. After we reminded them it was included, they insisted it wasn't. Get it in writing. We agreed that dinner was extra. They gave us a price and we accepted. Then we saw the food. It was not worth it (spaghetti buffet for 30 TL?) We mistakenly thought they would be offering a fair meal. We had just arrived and thought it would be easy. Staff later admitted they increased the price versus what everyone else was paying at the owner's decision. The hotel next door had a dinner buffet at half the price. This dinner issue was before they tried to repeatedly charge us for the included breakfast. Everytime I walked by the front desk, staff would say something about what they were going to charge me for. The stay was not all bad. The location is good across the promenade from Calis Beach. Service is just atrocious. Wifi also only works by the pool and in the breakfast/dinner area not the rooms or lobby. Finally, front desk staff saw me the night before we checked out and said I needed to go to reception. They argued price some more and told me to pay that night even though we were not leaving until the morning. I would not stay here again if it was free. My vacation does not need the aggravation. There are many nearby hotels where I am sure we could have stayed hassle free.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank John F
Reviewed June 6, 2013

A nice hotel alongside çalis beach. Sober, but clean. Staff is friendly. With regard to food: breakfast is typically turkish, dinner might improve a bit, as it was relatively simple (as of may 2012).
All in all a very nice option to get away and enjoy this area.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that you can run a tap here for drinks, and keep up with it so you are not suprised at...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank OmarNL
Reviewed September 24, 2012

my daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in July and enjoyed our stay, the breakfast was very good and plenty to choose from, the staff were really pleasant and very helpful especially the evening reception who spoke very good English and also helpful, nothing was a trouble to them.the rooms were good and very clean, the towels were so soft which makes a change from the stiff hard type that tear your skin off, Its in an ideal location right on the seafront with lovely gardens to sunbathe in for those like myself who dont like the sand, it also has a spacious pool with kiddy pool attatched and plenty of pool equipment to keep them occupied. we will certainly go back.

Room Tip: one of the few hotels in the resort with a lift so if your not so good on your feet dont worry which...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank dumppitt2
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from august 27th - september 3rd. The hotel is located on the seafront.
Our room was basic but ok as we only used it as a bed.
This hotel is all about location. The pool is fantastic,one of the best in the area.
Breakfast was good with a choice of salad, cheese, eggs, cereal and the usual things.
Staff are friendly and helpful.
The bar area looks out to sea and makes a nice ending to the evening with a few drinks and doing a bit of people watching.
I would stay at this hotel again as it proved to be excellent value for money and spot on for location.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank angelaruby
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Just returned having spent 2 weeks at this lovely place. We know Calis and the area well but had never stayed here and after renting out our apartment for the season were looking for a place to stay. This is lovely. Yes the rooms are small and the hanging space very limited but its spotless. The bathrooms are good and the showers always hot. Beds and towels changed daily and in our experience all the staff were lovely. It does sound like the previous poster had a different experience which is unfortunate. The pool and sunbathing area is large and spacious with plenty of beds although there was a bit of reserving going on! Still as there were a large party of us we were as guilty as our german and dutch neighbours!
Breakfast was fresh and plentiful albeit the usual mix of bread egss cheeses and olives etc. Good coffee machine though !
The bar was great , good prices and very relaxing and the staff very friendly! Wouldnt hesitate in returning should we ever need to stay in a hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view is a lottery but if you dont ask......
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple