“Don't Listen to Winjers It is a very good hotel”
Review of Hotel Destan

Hotel Destan
Ranked #84 of 101 Hotels in Fethiye
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I booked this holiday 2 days before we went and I then read the reviews and was mortified and felt like cancelling. PLEASE PLEASE ignore these bad reviews, the hotel was very clean and the bar staff Dani and Ali were brill. The hotel is very central and close to all the good restaurants and bars. The pools are lovely and are cleaned every day, we only ate from the snack menu in the hotel and found the food to be fine and reasonably priced, the drinks were near enough the same price as the rest of the resort, you get what you pay for and we got a very good deal and we were highly delighted with our holiday and we would definately recommend this hotel. We heard some people moaning around the pool area about people smoking, bed too hard, food rubbish, staff don't speak english, I think some people just expect too much or are after money back

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank casher1

Reviewed July 26, 2011

I travelled with my 19 year old daughter and having been to Hisaronu in the past had a very good idea on the location of this Hotel although I had never been. Having booked a quick cheap all inclusive package through Teletext, I was really glad that I hadn't expected a lot from the all inclusive option. Firstly We werent told anything about what we could and couldn't have as part of the all inclusive package so had to explain to each member of staff and ask each time so we knew we werent adding to a bill we could be slapped with at the end. The drinks were great, real pepsi and although the vodka was locally produced, it was very nice, the bar staff were fantastic, Atiki and Ali especially and the lunch menu was lovely and freshly prepared, although I have yet to have a full plate of chip that were all cooked through properly. The evening meal was the problem though, only served between 8pm and 10pm so there is nothing to eat between 4pm and 8pm, (if there was then it was one of the things we werent told about) and it consisted of a choice of a meat or fish with chips or spaghetti most nights. We did check it out and what we did eat was very nice but you were very limited and we ate out for 3 of our 7 nights stay. I didn't see the Gym (my idea of torture on holiday) but was told that it was not up to much and the equipment was rusty or not working. With all this aside the pool areas were lovely and clean, there were plenty of sun loungers and the gardens were tidy. The downside was the lack of any entertainment, I saw a game of volleyball once but it was mainly staff playing, and there was nothing on an evening just music playing.

The Room: It was cleaned very thoroughly every day and fresh towels provided.
On arrival we were given a very small room with no balcony, and on paying the £35 for the A/C for the week, it wasnt working, so after complaining to the receptionist she changed our room to the one next door. I am not sure if it was to give us a balcony or because of the A/C but either way it was a nicer and slightly larger room with balcony. The hairdryer didn't work in the new room but on reporting it there was a maintenance man with us within 10 minutes and it was replaced straight away. The shower room was very nice, clean and possibly newly refurbished within the past year.

Overall I liked the hotel for the price we paid, luckily I didn't have any run-ins with the scary Manager and although the reception staff never seemed to look happy, they did smile and say hello if you did they same. Like I said, I would have hated to have paid any more for this but would be tempted to return on the same basis at the same price, but definately wouldnt pay extra for the half board or all inclusive option as I never saw breakfast and the restaurants in Hisaronu and nearby are so cheap and fantastic quality especially the Shanghai Blues Chinese, the Festival Restaurant (The Lamb Shish Kebab is the best ever) and The Fez Bar do the most gorgeous Parmo - just like on Teesside!

Please don't be put off by all the bad reviews but also please don't expect a 4* hotel either. I think they are trying to be a good hotel and seem to be improving and updating the building, but they are lacking something which I can't quite figure out.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We booked a double room at Destan for 2 weeks In July. We are both very disappointed with the Hotel and what we expected.
The hotel advertises to be a 4 star hotel, with a gym, sauna, steam room and to be newly refurbished for 2011 (at least it did when we booked it). This is not true. Only parts of the work have been completed and there is no sauna, Jacuzzi or steam room. Gym does not work. The rooms are very basic and our bed was rock hard. We asked nicely (telling the manager about our medical problems) to swap room. He told us that all rooms are the same and that we could NOT even see another room. We accepted this at the time but raised it with the rep the day after. Our rep went to speak with the Manager and told us that the hotel would put blankets on our bed to make it softer. When we arrived in our room the blankets had been thrown on our bed and not laid out. We gave up with regards to getting anywhere with regards to the bed.
AC: You have to pay £35 for 7 days and the hotels exchange rate is terrible. We were staying for 2 weeks and only wanted the AC for one week. The receptionist would not let us have it for 7 days only first (even though advertised for 7 days in the hotel). We did in the end get it for 7 days only.
Food: You are NOT allowed to bring anything to your hotel room from outside the hotel (and the same rule applies for the pool area). There are BIG signs everywhere warning you that you will have to pay if caught with food or drinks brought to the hotel from the outside. You have to purchase all drinks (even water) from the hotel. The food at the hotel (snack menu) is not cheap and the portions are tiny and the quality is very poor. We did not get chips cooked properly even once. Had a look at the buffet (a la carte menu) and the food looked horrible. There were flies everywhere. Just took one look and walked out. After speaking to other guests we found out that the quality and taste was very poor. One couple had gone half board and asked to swap dinner for lunch (after seeing the evening dinner) but were greeted by the angry manager getting very angry (shouting) and telling them that they could not do this. I would not recommend all-incisive or half board as there are a lot of lovely and cheap restaurants in Hisaronu. The breakfast was very very basic buffet style with flies everywhere.
CHECK OUT DAY: We heard from other guest that the hotel does not have a courtesy room or anywhere to store our luggage on the day you check out. Our flight was after midnight so would have had a whole day with nowhere to store our luggage, unless we would have paid approx. £35 to stay in our room for a few hours longer. (BOOK YOUR ROOM FOR AN EXTRA DAY IF YOUR FLIGHT IS VERY LATE AS THIS IS CHEAPER THAN PAYING AT RECEPTION). We thought we go and speak to reception to ask if (considering all the problems we have had) we could store our luggage somewhere and have a shower. The receptionist went to get the Manager who straight away seemed angry and very annoyed. I tried to talk to him but was greeted with shouting and pointing. He shouted and said that we just come with complaints and that we cannot tell him how to run his hotel etc etc. He looked very evil and even his eyes went bright red. My fiancée told him to calm down and not to point at me and to top shouting. He did not take this well and got even worse. When my fiancée asked about the gym (which is not working at all and only consist of 5 broken equipment) he went up the roof. He asked my fiancée for a fight!!!! And this is the manager of the hotel. I asked him calmly to speak to us as adults (had to speak to him like to a child) but he would not calm down. When I asked for his name he told me that that was none of my business and that I could write in my review “that horrible hotel manager”!! He told us that he would not handle our complaint (which wasn’t even an complain to start off with) and told us to speak to our rep. We walked off as the Manager did not seem very stable at this point. The day after we spoke to our rep, and asked to fill in a complaint. When the rep took the complaint to the Manager he went up the roof. We were laying round the pool and saw him running out the reception shouting in Turkish and waving his arms. Our rep told us that he was screaming that he wants us out of his hotel. Our rep told him that we had not done anything wrong so he could not kick us out. This is when the manager told our rep that we would be kicked out if we would speak to any guests at the hotel about what had happened. We still had 4 days before leaving. At this point I was scared of the manager and just wanted to get out. We managed (after a lot of phone calls to the UK) to arrange a hotel transfer. We travelled with hotels4u. A manager at hotels4u first said that the hotel manager is just a typical Turkish man –this is NOT true! We had 10 lovely days before all this happened and did not meet anyone like him, in fact everyone else were very polite and helpful. We spent our 2 last nights in a different hotel. The hotel Manager made our otherwise lovely holiday to a very sour experience. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We lost 2 days trying to stay away from the mad Manager. Other guest told us that the manager had shouted at them as well and that he is a ticking time bomb.
Cleaners and bar staff: Cleaners were great, and Ali at the bar (who is leaving Destan) did a fantastic job, and always smiled and tried to help.
ENTERTAIMENT: There was NO entertainment at all, even though this was advertised on their website. They play music very loud though (until well past midnight).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KIKKIO
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Me and my friend stayed at hotel for a week. its our first time in turkey. this was excellent hotel. staff are really friendly and wellcoming. service is good.there are two lovely swimming pools.rooms are clean and nice.ali bartender was the main man at hotel. hotel is so close to town so u can get everything so easly.location is amazing with good links to other local towns. beach is 5 min away by bus from the hotel. ı am deffinetely coming back in september. dont listen to other bad reviews .Hotel and staff are fabioulous. good value for money

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2011

when we arrived i was charged £70 for air-con for 2 weeks which was abit steep, hardly any of the staff could speak english especially the girls on reception, food was very basic. cleaners cleaned our rooms everyday which was good. on the day we was leaving we missed our transfer to the airport as the coach came 2 hours early asked reception if they could ring a taxi but they just stood and laughed, wont stay here again unless they get old staff back who was polite and couldnt do enough for you!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank steph2011Manchester
Reviewed July 6, 2011

ME and my bf stayed at hotel for 10 days. we had an amazıng tıme ıt was so fun accomadatıon ıs great food ıs amazıngç I LOVE DESTAN HOTEL XX LOCATION WAS Nıce. staff were really friendly.Ali bartender was the best.he was unbelieveable.I cant describe the hotel with words, just go and see there :)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank alexx2009
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The Destan hotel was a great famıly resort to stay ın. The staff are very frıendly and helpful and ıt has been a good holıday. The hotel ıs based 2 mınutes from Hısaronu whıch ıs very useful. The food at the hotel ıs of excellent standard and prepared fresh at request. I hıghly recommend thıs resort for a famıly holıday as ıt ıs kıd frıendly. There are 2 pools whıch ıs useful ıf you need to relax and want to come on a quıet break away. The maıd ıs the best servıce ın any hotel I have stayed ın, she made sure the room was spotless every day.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank karla_2011043
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fethiye
Telmessos Hotel
Telmessos Select
Telmessos Select
#95 of 102 in Oludeniz
The Pine Hill Hotel & Suites

Been to Hotel Destan? Share your experiences!