“Probably not a place for Asian Travellers”

Fethiye Guest House
Ranked #8 of 93 Fethiye B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Probably not a place for Asian Travellers”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed there as a friend of mine was there. She received warm welcome from the owner (I think Turkish). She was there during off-season in 2012.

So I decide to stay there 2 nights in April 2013. Somehows, I receive the different kind of service from the Australian female manager there. At first, I book the dorm room but I decide to pay higher for the single room. On the day I arrive about 2 pm, it seems rooms are available. But the manager doesn't let me to choose the room. I am fixed to stay at room closing the hallway + behind the kitchen. I ask her to let me see other room but she keep saying other rooms are same layout and no choice for me to choose (While my friend was there and she could pick her room, even was invited to see the Marina room)

The room I get is very noisy. Staffs get in out and out the kitchen all the time and they have fixing something downstairs. So I can't take my short nap at all.

When I ask how to use the Air-Con as it seems cold for me at night. The manager says no remote control available. She even says that the weather is fine for her not cold at all. OK, she has her winter skin but I have my tropical skin and I stay in guesthouse not the Convent-School. I pay the full charge of the room but I can't use all facilities that I want.

The worst thing while I have my smoke at the balcony. The manager is learning her Turkish from her Turkish staff. Of course her staff is smoking also. She says in English + Turkish like smoking, cancer, bad, not accept in the public area in Australia. Well, that 's so polite of her to have this conversation while I am there smoking. I think if there are other Westerners sitting there smoking, she would not bring this conversation up surely.

So I feel really happy to leave this place. Though the room is clean but unacceptable for manager's attitude. None of my friend would be at your place. Goodbye

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Jeabmy L
FethiyeGuesthouse, Owner at Fethiye Guest House, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We are saddened to hear of your experience whilst staying at our guesthouse.

At the time of your stay no other rooms were available with the reservations we had at the time, therefore we could not show you alternatives. Unfortunately the air conditioner in your room was out of order, but we have since had all the systems serviced and they are now all working.
We apologise if a personal conversation that our staff were having offended you in any way. Our guesthouse is non-discriminating. We open our doors to all nationalities, smokers, non-smokers, families, friends, solo travellers, couples - everyone. Over our years of running guesthouses we have welcomed nationalities from all over the world.

We enjoy opening our doors to all walks of life and try to give people an enjoyable and helpful stay. We are sorry and saddened that you did not walk away with this experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My parents and I stayed at Fethiye Guesthouse for 2 nights in April 2013. It was advertised as a guesthouse, and it was very reasonably priced (about TL150 for 3 people for 2 nights), so we chose them. It turned out to be more like a student hostel. Our room had the bare basics: for example, plenty of blankets, but no top sheets. The bathroom was a real let-down! The shower head is right next to the toilet, and there is no shower area/curtain/door. So, the whole bathroom gets completely wet when you try to take a shower. Needless to say, it gets a bit mouldy... At least we had a private bathroom and didnt have to share. The communal porch area was lovely, though, and we spent the evenings sitting there with a cup of tea looking out over the water. The staff were very friendly too, and Beck was very knowledgeable about local restaurants and boat trips. We booked a boat trip through the guesthouse, and really enjoyed it. All in all, not a bad place to stay, but we have had better during our travels through Turkey.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a private bathroom! Would probably also be nice to have a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CharleVS
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

While we enjoyed our stay at the Fethiye Guest House this was down to the manager Mustafa's friendly hospitality rather than the room we were in. Mustafa was very relaxed, happy for us to hang out on the nice communal front porch (with sea view) and helped us with our queries on travel in Fethiye and further afield. The communal porch area was lovely, as were the included breakfasts, with delicious eggs cooked for us every morning.
However I'm afraid the positives end about here. My partner and I chose a "sea-view" room, which did indeed have a nice view over the harbour and marina, but had the most uncomfortable mattress we have slept on in Turkey. The springs are right at the surface and make it impossible to sleep comfortably. I tested a couple of the double mattresses in the other rooms and they weren't much better. On top of this our (private) bathroom was a little moldy and not particularly clean, probably not helped by the fact that the shower runs almost over the toilet with no shower curtain or anything - though I'm not sure there's much that could be done about this in the tiny space. The water pressure in the shower was poorly lacking as well.
Overall, we did really like the place and I didn't want to write them a bad review, but just a few small changes need to be made for it to reach its full potential.

Room Tip: Our sea-view double room had an extremely uncomfortable bed, and our friends double further towards...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My time in Fethiye, while short, was made very enjoyable by my stay at Fethiye guest house. The staff are very friendly and helpful. While I was there during off season the staff were able to help me find many enjoyable things to do in this little slice of paradise. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Would highly recommend staying here

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank JMacca88
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Fethiye Guest house. We had a double room, and although it was basic, it was comfortable and clean. Good value for money. The breakfasts were delicious, and they even included us in their delicious dinner feasts. We celebrated Australia day here, which was a really fun night! We also had shisha (sp?) for free. Very social, nice hostel. Fantastic views. Ned the owner is full of good advice and very friendly. Mustafa the chef is an amazing cook!

Will love to come back and stay here next time we're in Fethiye!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Allioz
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed January 18, 2013

It is a really good place. Found this hostel late on a rainy night. There was a power cut as will in the entire area - so didnt really know where I was headed - luckily I found this place. Stayed here for 3 days. I was sharing my room with another traveller. The view of the harbour from the hostel is great. The staff was awesome. Everyone speaks english. Breakfast here was really good. They also let me use their kitchen on a few occasions. Great value for money. They also organise cruise to near by places. This is where I am going next am in Fethiye.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank herbivore_backpacker
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

it was great stay at Fethiye guest House.Good location,clean room and perfect staff!!! If you have a time you should join a cruises with Alaturka as well.You can get best advise from their travel office for your holiday plan.I can't wait the next year for stay there...

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends