“Great location and friendly staff”
Review of Mara

Mara
Ranked #90 of 101 Hotels in Fethiye
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and me have spent two nights in Mara Hotel during our tour of Turkey.
The Hotel is located in a ideal location few meters from the harbor. Breakfast is served at the last floor where is possible to benefit from a view on the sea. Our room was comfortable and clean and in line with reasonable expectations for this category of hotel. The personnel was very kind with us during our staying. They easily accommodated all our requests ( including additional towels and a late check out) and we had no problem to communicate with them in English.

Overall not a luxury hotel, but good place in Fethiye if interested in excellent location and friendly staff. We would definitively book it again when in Fethiye.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maxdir

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. From the outside and in the lobby the hotel looks modern and newly refurbished. The location is great, it is less than 100 metres to the marina.

The room is not too bad, quite spacious with mini fridge and LCD TV and most important the WIFI is working and fast. The bed wad not too bad either.

However on the 2nd night the bathroom leaked that we had to order extra towels to absorb the water otherwise the room will get flooded.

When I asked for some towels the hotel staff did not understand any English at all. Tried to describe it in other words and ended up saying rubber mat and the staff gave me a map!

In my frustration I sat in the lobby just checking the map, not rubber mat. And whilst checkin it the hotel staff approached from my back. I thought at first he was just friendly by showing me the places but to my surprise this man started to put his hands in my back! Im not sure if that is a Turkish way of being friendly so I just stared at him and walked out. Worst thing came when my husband managed to speak to another staff who understood our request for more towels but the guy who attempted to put his hands on my back delivered the towels and attempted to get in our room! I take it that when you give something you stay outside the room and just handed the stuff. I literally pushed him out because I can feel and see his body language that he wanted to get in the room!

I dont want to ruin the rest of our holidays so I didn't kick up the fuss but he has given me the creeps! Becareful of this thin man and he always wear a blue tshirt with a very strong smell of fag!

Breakfast was Ok but nothing interesting.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Mara Hotel offers a great location and the staff are friendly and welcoming. We left our bags after arriving mid-morning from Rhodes and we were surprised to see them all still sitting in the lobby when we returned. There were a few issues - one set of towels for two people, our kids had two sets of towels for three people. There was one glass in each room. There is no top sheets - I am now realizing this is a Turkish thing as it appears to be the norm in other places we are staying. We asked for an extra sheet and got an extra thin blanket. The air conditioning is good, the light in our bathroom shower didn't work. The kid's shower didn't work so they bathed / washed with just the bath nozzle. They also had a light hanging off the wall.

The breakfast had a few strange things I was reluctant to try (what is that pink meat?) and the cereal was stale but edible. It was good to fill up on some basic food before heading out for the day though.

All in all, they tried quite hard to make our stay comfortable but with a few tweaks and repairs, it could be so much better. The hotel appeared to be virtually empty except for us which is also a concern but it is a bit early in the season. And they really should clean that turtle pool in the lobby.

If you want a central location and you can check the room for all these little flaws in advance of committing to your room, I would recommend you stay here.

Room Tip: Things to watch for....working lights, glasses, towels, sheets and blankets (make sure you have enou...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FlexPRchick
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel is on a pedestrian street near the harbor and near the shopping area. I found the location convenient, although a taxi will drop you off a block or three away from the hotel due to the pedestrian shopping area.

The room was not very clean. There were dried blood stains on the coverlet on the bed, and mosquitos woke me up several nights. Since I used the AC and didn't open the windows, I'm not sure how they entered the room. And the toilet was a concern, because it had a jet very close to the back of the toilet seat. Although I doused it with hand sanitizer, I was concerned about possible injury or germs.

If you don't want the housekeeping staff to move your stuff around, keep it in drawers or locked up. I found my stuff on the dresser moved around, and, when I packed up, found that a lot of the plastic bags I use for packing stuff had been removed from the room.

Breakfast was served in a dining area off the reception, and was not very tasty. My last day there, one of the men in the hotel offered to make me eggs - just wish he'd offered before then so I could have enjoyed them once.

There's an internet cafe across the small pedestrian street, at very convenient hours and prices.

Staff was generally congenial, except for one man who wanted to help me by insisting that I save money and pay in cash. I sat in the lobby till my receipt was prepared. The hotel was very quiet, and didn't seem to have many guests.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a balcony room - the view is not great.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank zoe17
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2nights in June. Looks good in reception but....... We booked double room with B&B. the hotel is devoid of atmosphere and the usually Turkish pleasantries and welcome. The room was much to be desired, 3 lights not working (light bulbs missing), not enough towels only one set for two people, no glasses for drinking water etc, no kettle/ cups ( but not sure if this is the deal). Shower the best deal but no light in shower and only one light working in bathroom. There is no welcome pack regarding how to switch things on etc. The breakfast was on first floor in reception so no view as per previous reviewers on this site. There was no dishes out for cereal, no milk and no one identified as in charge of food provision to ask. Again no welcome eg hello good morning ( even in Turkish). Overall an hotel well based for town but seriously lacking in customer care, hotel maintenance and devoid of any charm. Even the baby turtles are swimming around in filthy little pool.

Room Tip: Look at room before agreeing to stay. Make sure all facilities working.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I’m about to book this hotel online but I decided to just come as I know it’s not a peak season anymore – it’s November (2012).

I was in nature-bound Kabak Valley and I wanted to stay a night in Fethiye to catch a flight at the Dalaman airport so I took the dolmush from Kabak to Fethiye. The dolmush (minibus) terminated at the center of Fethiye not the otogar so I just need to take a walk and I did not find difficulty in locating it. It’s at the end of a pedestrian street (500 Sok.) from the main Ataturk Cadessi , turning right from Garanti Bank almost near the sea promenade.

Location isn't noisy at all, no cars along the street, some motorcycle only and bikes. Few steps to the seafront, it’s right at the town center so most places around the town are walking distance. Along the pedestrian street of the hotel are several inexpensive restaurants, bars, shops and ministores. The big chain supermarket Migros is few walks away and so most shopping stores too.

Mara Hotel is a modern hotel surprisingly nice than I expected after reading reviews. I was checked in by Mehmet from the reception after getting my passport and because I’m staying only for a night he preferred I pay it right away, so I went to the money changer and paid the rate at TL65 equivalent to 29EUR. He took the rate from booking.com.

I got a room at the second floor which is a nice big room with a huge bed.

The Room – the key is an electronic key card. The room is very modern, carpeted with a couch, a comfy red sofa, a small minibar fridge, small flat panel tv, vanity mirror and desk, a balcony overlooking the street below and a partial seaview at the end of the street on my left. The bed is huge with duvet, very comfortable. No noise at all, except for some occasional shouting down the street below.

The bathroom – is fancy with electric-blue light – I did not find the switch to turn it off though - and a window pane overlooking the bedroom with a blind, very cozy. Shower stall is big enough with doorless glass panel that separate it from the toilet sink and bowl. Tastefully furnished, clean thick towels, small boxed soaps and shower caps, shampoos, etc, and a hairdryer. I like the bathroom a lot, after several days of getting used with spartan-ish bathrooms from camps.

The breakfast – is buffet and aplenty, several choices and varieties, served on the 5th floor with a view of the sea and the mountains on the end side of the large breakfast hall that I supposed is also a function hall probably for wedding receptions, parties and banquets.

The staff – Mehmet the reception guy who checked me in at night is moderately friendly although I think it’s a common practice for them to immediately offer their Turkish bath which I declined as I was sleepy and just want to go to bed. I requested for a late checkout and I was extended for another hour at 1pm, I wished it was around 2 or 3pm as my flight is evening, they kept my backpack though at the back of the reception while I spent a couple of hours around town upon checkoout - bide the time before my flight at night at the dalaman airport. The other slim guy at the reception in the morning is helpful and there was a lady cleaning the whole lobby with a vacuum, sucking all the dusts while I was sitting at one of the sofa surfing the net. The lady at the breakfast hall isn’t talking, just busying herself with making up the tables.

Wifi internet – is so strong inside the room and free.

For EUR30/night for single with a breakfast, in my opinion it’s a good hotel, it’s clean with an elevator, centrally located in Fethiye town centrum, quiet location and modern furnishings in rooms.

Recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a modern looking hotel to Turkish standards. It is in a quiet location conveniently located next to the harbour of Fethiye. There are plenty of shops & tourist attractions around. Breakfast is served on the roof with a magnificent view on the harbour. Although we did not try it, the owner claims he has the best hammam...

The good points:
- Good service: this is one of the few hotels that accepted late check-in at 1:30 in the morning. This is because we were coming in from Antalya by coach.
- Well located: it is in a quiet area, where no cars are allowed. It is nice to walk around & visit all the shops.
- The rooms are clean & quite. They have good AC installed, TV & mini-bar & towels.
- Breakfast: magnificent view on the harbour the city. The breakfast on itself has nothing special & is a traditional Turkish breakfast buffet.
- Good price: 45euro for 2 persons/1night breakfast incl. I think you can even negotiate the price lower.

The bad points
- There was no warm water for the shower (I think it was the only hotel during our whole trip which didn't have warm water)
- The mini-bar refrigerator makes a hell of a noise. It woke me every time it turned on. It would highly recommend to unplug it. You will sleep much better then :)

This is a good hotel if you are looking for a quiet & conveniently located hotel in Fethiye.
I would recommend it for stays of 2 or 3 days, as the hotel on itself has no special activities like a pool, etc.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple