“NOTHING SPECIAL: you are the catch for the restaurant”

Hilmi Meat & Fish Restaurant
Ranked #59 of 444 Restaurants in Fethiye
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Mediocrity at its best
================
typical of fethiye fish market restaurants:
NOTHING SPECIAL: you are the catch, not the fish.
is this the worst restaurant in the fish market? no, we've suffered more than once, so read on for tips on how to have a moderately enjoyable meal....

they love you if you're a crowd, charm you, hassle you
(if not, then a 'get lost' attitude that has previously happened- this review would not occur if you were 'solo' as you would not be offered a table)
they can't wait to get you in (reel you in)
then you order, lots of sides which they reccomend but you dont need,
and wait, and part order arrives
and wait, and mains arrives during starters (& gets cold)
and beg and plead for another drink or side dish.

So? why did we make this mistake AGAIN?
The aged beef is excellent (from their chillers at their own butchers) - TIP always ask for your beef to be cooked at least one level less than at home e.g. medium at home = med-rare here
Salad is well seasoned and balanced
TIPS
Go on a quiet day/time of day i.e. no more than 60% full - they have more chance of seeing you as they busily scout the hoardes walking through the market.
Raise your hand and wave if necessary (red semphore flags are useful or a carnival whistle)
Be specific about how you want items cooked and when you want them served
Speak with the fluent-in-english owner and you stand a better chance of minimal mess ups
Don't order any seafood starters that you can buy e.g. calamari portion in-house was smaller, poorer and more expensive than buying from the market
UNDER ORDER portions/sizes, especially if you are ordering fish from the market, Better still...
DO NOT ORDER RESTAURANT STARTERS... you can get these at most other places in Turkey
DO NOT GO (to eat) IF RAVENOUS: anywhere locally is cook to order - busy restaurant means people have flocked there and this is not necessarily an indicator or food quality and more customers = bigger lead times for service.
This is med style laid back eating and enjoy it for that in itself.

There is one 'fish market' restaurant where attitude and abience and empathy for cooking are much higher (this is not that restaurant).Read TA listing for that info - I will update when we revisit that restaurant (only fair, but other current contributors have given consistently good listings for it)

1  Thank tellitasitis O

Reviewed July 29, 2012

This was the most amazing experience of my holiday. Upon entering the fish market you can browse all the fish and meat stalls before selecting and buying your food. The fish is very good value, only 10tl for a whole sea bass! Then you select where you want to eat and for only 6tl per person, the cook this to your liking and supply bread and salad. It was an amazing afternoon, delicious food and incredibly well cooked. I really do suggest this for everyone going to this area of Turkey - to miss it would be a real shame.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

This restaurant was recommend by our hotel (Yacht Classic Hotel). We were incredible disappointed. Everything about the restaurant was awful; it felt like a horrible tourist trap. The night went wrong in so many ways.

Our bottle of red wine arrived at the table hot - and I do mean HOT. So hot, it was hard to drink. They promptly threw the bottle in a ice bath to 'cool' it.

When I asked for bread, they delivered one piece to the table indicating the kitchen was making more. I asked three more times for bread; my husband asked twice - and bread finally arrived at our table 45 minutes later.

The service was awful. The head waiter barked commands at his 'helpers' much to the discomfort of the guests. When we weren't waiting, we felt rushed our entire meal.

The fish was overbaked. The shrimp drowned in butter and garlic. Neither a great preparation for fresh fish. The meze platter was equally unimpressive.

The atmosphere was hot, stuffy, crammed and uncomfortable (and I love communal tables, loud spaces and chaotic dining).

The price seemed outrageously expensive given our experience.

I normally shy away from writing bad reviews; always preferring to focus on the positive. Please take yourself elsewhere to eat.

2  Thank kjbarber
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The service is very poor. The worst experience in a fish restraurant in my life. I have eaten at the fish market before and it has been very nice, we just would not go to Hilmi again. I would not recommend Hilmi's to the other visitor.I orders fish and salad. I finished my fish and at the end they bring my salad. And foods are not delicious.

1  Thank Mehmet_Emre
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Right in the center of the old town of Fethiye you'll find the fishmarket were you'll chose your fish/frutti di mare. They'll take it to the restaurant of your choise. We chose the Hilmi which has a very good selection of delicious mezes and the preparation of the levrek (seabrass) and the jumbo prawns was exellent. White wine (we always go for a Kavaklidere) came in a cooler, the always-you-have-to-eat mixed saled was also delicous. Can't say anything negative - maybe the service at the second time we went (in 4 days.) was a little slow.