“Very helpful and smiley staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Otel Mevlana

Otel Mevlana
Ranked #20 of 29 Konya B&B and Inns
WWW
“Very helpful and smiley staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed a night in late May 2013; the staff did not speak English but with some creative hand gestures, we "communicated" very well. Everyone was at the ready to help, like when I wanted some soup late at night, the bellboy accompanied me on this quest for food. He took me to a shop that was still open at that late hour and had them delivered my chosen soup to my room, set on a tray; instead of me taking it away in a ignominious plastic bag from the shop. What class!

The room was a bit dated and the buffet breakfast was so -so however. For a night, it was OK and not too expensive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
Wombelano, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night as part of a tour group. It was by far the worst hotel we have encountered anywhere - noisy, smelly rooms, with exposed wiring, even in the filthy bathroom. it's a wonder no one has been electrocuted here. I was very hesitant about getting into the bed, as I was not confidant that it was clean. Breakfast was just as dismal. Do not go there.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else in Konya
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FarmerSue_12

Travelers are raving about these Konya hotels

Allentown, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here for one night as part of a tour. The location is hard to find, tucked away in a dark alley. The room I stayed in was filthy. Dirty bed linens, floors, and bathroom. The toilet was caked in filth, the tiles had a haze over them and the grouting was black with mold. The shower hung in the middle of the bathroom - when used, everything got wet. I've experienced this in other hotels and don't have a problem with it when there's room to stand under the shower head. However, the location of the toilet made showering difficult. Additionally, the exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work and was pulled out of the wall, leaving exposed wiring. The light switch was similarly pulled out of the wall. I had visions of being electrocuted. I saw some of the other rooms and noticed they were similarly filthy. The room across the hall didn't have a window to the outside but rather to the hallway (huh?). The breakfast was terrible as well. In a nutshell, stay away.

Room Tip: I don't think any good rooms exist here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Greg C
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed here as this was chosen by our tour company as an overnight stay, it was terrible!! My room and bathroom was very dirty, grimy and moldy. I had to ask for new towels as the 'fresh' ones in my room stank. The room smelt of smoke to the point it became difficult to breathe without opening the window. The surrounding area is dirty and noisy. Breakfast was poor. I do not recommend this hotel,they don't seem to care at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Table View, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

This hotel is best suited for a one night stand. The lobby area is nice but the rooms are small, although they were clean as was the bathroom (tiny). The street outside was rather shabby and we were entertained by some drunken locals and the hotel staff having an very loud argument around 23:00.

The hotel located reasonable well to restaurants, a very large market area and the Mevlana Meseum. The surrounding area seems to be a business area. The one cool place to visit, 3 blocks away, is the felt shop of Ikonium. The barber shop, 5 shops before Ikonium, gives an excellent male Turkish cut for very reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the street at all costs as it was noisy for virtually the whole night.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

My wife and I walked into the lobby and thought this hotel looked okay. Then we were taken to a room which was pretty disgusting. We looked around and it was tiny and dirty. Then we saw some clothes and wondered if the room had been cleaned. A moment later, there was a knock on the door and we were told that we had to move. They had taken us to an occupied room. The second room we were taken too was equally small, dirty and disgusting. Unfortunately, we were very tired and also had a show to go to in an hour so we really couldn't move. So, we stayed. My wife didn't even undress but slept in her clothes because she didn't want to get dirty. And when we looked out the window, all we could see were the tops of a couple of disgusting buildings and a couple of pipes.

We really couldn't use the bathroom because the ceiling was dripping. In the morning, we went downstairs for breakfast and it was so disgusting we decided to just have tea but when we got the tea glasses, they were not clean. All in all, I can find nothing to recommend this hotel.

I have stayed in hotels of all classes all over the world and this was, by far, the worst.

Room Tip: Get another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kondan
Zaragoza, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Right before arriving to Konya, I checked the Lonely Planet and I decided to go for this hotel believing I would meet some backpackers. Well, maybe that would have been the case if I had stayed in the "new" Otel Mevlana. But since I arrived very late at night (around 11pm), I just followed the guy when the taxi left me. So I ended up in the "old" Otel Mevlana (I discovered that the next day). I got a free bottle of sparkling water during check in. Basic English spoken but enough. Room big enough for myself (king-size bed!). Room and bathroom very clean, although they looked old. Only a very small window and too high to look out. The heating was off but the room was warm. Breakfast was not particularly rich. Very close to the Mevlana Museum.
The hotel was average but ok for the price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo