“It depends upon what you are looking for, I guess”
Review of Balturk Hotel

Balturk Hotel
and 1 more site!
Balturk Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Izmit
Grantsville, Maryland
“It depends upon what you are looking for, I guess”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Perhaps we were spoiled at the previous hotel during our stay, I'm just not sure, but if I hadn't booked a non-refundable 5 night stay, I would have gone elsewhere. First let me tell you what I found good about this hotel
1) It is a small but elegant hotel. The entryway and lobby areas are bright and spacious. The rooms were kept clean by a very friendly maid staff

2) The staff, for the most part, are friendly and helpful - to a point. I wonder if it is not that the hotel is a business-type hotel and are more used to calling taxis than to helping someone underestand how to get a bus card to travel in the area. This is just one example.

3) The breakfasts are very well appointed with the typical Turkish breakfast fare - cheeses, tomatoes, cucumbers, breads, olives. There are also eggs, sausages (I don't eat them so can't speak to the 'sausage-ness' of them), french fries, cereals, yogurt, orange juice - all in all a delightful selection.

4) It is across the street from the Otogar (Bus Stop). This makes it very convenient when you are travelling by bus.
What were the challenges?
We began in Room 306, a small, but functional room with a bit of balcony - we stayed one night in this room. When we first arrived, it had a very heavily perfumed smell, so much so that we opened the door to air it out. We then left for a few hours. When we returned, we realized that the room smelled so badly of sewer gas that I had to close the bathroom door so as to be able to breathe. Due to this, I was unable to brush my teeth or shower, it was so horrible. In the morning, when we informed the front desk about this, they sent someone who again sprayed air freshener. We were eventually moved to Room 314 - a much smaller room with a very small area that you might call a balcony. This room didn't smell so bad so we decided to stay. Well, actually, we didn't really have an option. It was Room 306 or Room 314 or leave and lose our money :(

It is very far from the City Center, relatively speaking. We could walk to City Center in an hour but it is not good walk. We took a taxi on the first day and paid 20TL - much more than we wanted to spend for transportation each way, each day. We were able to get bus passes and then travel by bus after that just by knowing that we needed to go to Helkevi or Otogar :) Plan to spend at least 15 minutes on the bus each way.

This last 'peeve' is just a personal one. On our reservation page, it listed that were were to be met with a fruit basket and drinks - neither of which ever materialized. I prefer not to ask for amenities such as these and think that if gestures such as this are part of the repertoire of an establishment, they will be offered without any reminder. This small lack was brought even more to my attention on one day when I went to the lobby to work. Being brighter and more spacious, it felt better to work there than to sit in my little cramped room.

There was a gentleman there dressed in a tee shirt and jeans who was evidently much more used to being catered to during his stay. It seemed that all the hotel staff were recruited just to do his bidding - standing by him, taking tea and snacks to him, etc. All during this time, not one member of the staff addressed me, even though at this point I had been in the hotel for 3 days. At some point in time, the gentleman left. After about 15 minutes, one of the men at the front desk called over to me and asked politely if I would like a cup of tea. This was a very nice gesture and I appreciated it.

I don't know what other hotels of this price range are like but, if and when I return to Izmit, I will stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend 314
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CAMerrill1

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The rooms were clean, tidy, functional but a litlle basic. The bathroom was tired. The breakfast were good. But above all, the staff were very, very friendly and helpful. It is in a good location, close to the main bus station.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris E
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Well, first of all there is no great hotel in Izmit area, if you go to Sapanca which is about 25 km you will find excellent hotels.
Balturk is the best hotel in the area, clean tidy rooms and a good restaurant. The staff is also helpful. Book in advance!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
California
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Recently had a one-week stay at this hotel, which was billed as one of the better options in this Turkish city. It really met most of our business needs, but the hotel is really just "average" at best. Any downsides with the facilities were made up for, however, by great front-desk staff who were quick to resolve any and all problems. Housekeeping staff and the wait-staff in the restaurant were also terrific and responsive. The rooms themselves were very dark and in need of additional lighting. The desk workspace is small and though we had good (free) wireless access most days/times, occasionally access would stop unexpectedly. Drawers were very small and storage space in the rooms was limited. A hot water maker was available, and complementary coffee products provided. The hair dryer provided consistently overheated and would shut off entirely. The bathroom had plenty of hot water and good water pressure, but the drain system could not accommodate all the water from the shower so it tended to overflow all over the bathroom floor and this continued even after reported. (Guests in other rooms stated they had encountered the same problem.) There was no tub in the bathroom and no full-length mirror was available anywhere in the room. The air conditioning worked fine. The positive about the location is that it is only one block from the bus station, so there is easy access into and around the Istanbul area (took 1-1/2 to 2 hours to get to the Bestancia sea station). Restaurant or shopping options immediately around the hotel are limited. The restaurant on-site had a great breakfast slection and other meals were generally good as well; room service was quick, reliable. There was one room available for business meetings, but it was in use by a manager so our meetings generally had to occur in the lobby, which was not optimum. Bottom line: if you don't have really high expectations, this may be a good Izmit alternative for you.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms adjacent to the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Very nice and friendly staff. Service at reception desk is very fast. Rooms are well decorated and very clean.

Restaurant is nice. Chicken schnitzel and rice is very very delicious!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Serkan D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Izmit
Hampton by Hilton Kocaeli
#9 of 19 in Izmit
Wellborn Luxury Hotel
Wellborn Luxury Hotel
#1 of 2 in Basiskele

Been to Balturk Hotel? Share your experiences!