“Good stay with minor inconveniences”
Review of Ontur Hotel Izmir

Ontur Hotel Izmir
Ontur Hotel Izmir
Ranked #33 of 98 Hotels in Izmir
Reviewed June 11, 2013

If you have read my other hotels reviews, you know that I try to review hotels based on value--I hold a Hilton or Sheraton to a higher standard than a Motel 6. I do not have a reference point, however, for the Ontur hotel since the cost was part of a tour package. Therefore, I cannot speak to the value aspect, only critique it against its self-claimed four star rating.

Let me start with my best advice for the impatient reader who won't finish reading the whole review. The entrance to the hotel is on a very busy main road. The back and sides of the hotel, however, are on pedestrian only streets without vehicle traffic. When booking, I would strongly recommend to request a room it the back or sides. If you get a front room, ask for a high floor. They have double pain windows as one would expect from a four star hotel but its not enough to mask the street noise which tapers of in the evenings but did bother me my last night when I tried to go to bed early for an early flight.

Still reading? Good. Overall, I'd rate the hotel and exceptional three star or an average four star. The rooms were reasonably large, clean and comfortable. The bedding was less than I'd expect from a four star. It was adequate but the mattress was no exceptionally comfortable and the pillows where thin from ware. I was disappointed by the comforter only bedding (i.e. no flat sheet) as the comforter proved to be too warm but a sheet would have been perfect.

The bathroom was large, clean and modern. Towels were reasonable soft and comfortable and bathrobe was provided. My biggest gripe was that the shower would not maintain a constant temperature. Instead it slowly modulated hot, cold, hot, cold. This happened morning and night so it seemed to have no bearing on other showers, toilets flushing, etc. It wasn't the end of the world because you could hear when the cold water was cutting in and out so you knew that hot or cold extremes were coming and could step aside but having to do so was a bit annoying.

The food was excellent and the wait staff attentative. Dinner always started with soup and salad, followed by a hearty, delicious meal and dessert was always included. The breakfast buffet was large and generous including fresh fruits like oranges, apples, strawberries, and veggies like cucumber, tomatoes, green and black olives, and bell peppers. There was a generous sampling of various cheeses and cold cut meats. Then there were always eight hot trays which varied each morning--always scrambled eggs and some kind of meat, plus occasionally French toast or pancakes or creeps, etc. I was especially impressed when the staff brought up breakfast to my room at 5 am on the last day because I had an early departure and the buffet was not yet open. I think this was partially influenced by my generous tipping during the week (you get what you pay for right?)

My biggest gripe (and I hope the hotel is reading and addresses this) was the WiFi. It worked fine in all the common areas but I wanted to have a private video conference with my wife in my room. It is allegedly available in all rooms but works very poorly in corner rooms. I started out on the fourth floor in the back, right corner room (I am being very specific for the hotel's sake) and could not get a WiFi signal in that room at all. The staff was very helpful and transfered me to room 501 which was an upgraded room. In 501, I barely received a signal. To have a private Skype call with my wife I literally sat right behind the room door in the narrow entry way because if I tried to walk into the room I lost the WiFi signal.

If I didn't have to play "duck the hot water bursts" in the shower and sit next to the door to use WiFi, my rating would have been "Excellent". With minor inconveniences like that, it was still "Very good", especially because of the food and the staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TheAviatorTim

Reviewed June 1, 2013

It is a very good hotel. In good location, very good and big rooms, very clean. The food was very good also comparing to the food of other 4 or 5 stars hotels, we have been before. The only fault I found was that I had to carry my suitcase up the stairs, as there was no elavator by the reception desk, where our langage were, and there was no personnel to help us (I had real problem with my knee and I must' n carry heavy things).

Room Tip: Rooms not in the front would help visitor not to hear the noise of the street. Also a room without a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank maria_grigoriadi
Reviewed March 22, 2013

There's something missing as well as the kettle, tea and coffee. For example - a great shower inside a cheap fitting glass shower frame, but that's not it either. First the positives. Friendly very helpful staff. Very clean and very safe and quite central to most places you might want to visit in Izmir. And, if you are in Izmir for 1 or 2 nights - and get a great room rate - then I'd definitely recommend it. But there's a blandness to the hotel - it's decor, the room. The voices that come through the door from the corridor. One of your contributors mentions it doesn't have any stars - and this description seems to fit perfectly. I stayed a wonderful hotel in Ankara - which is both boutique and starred. Maybe the Ontur owners should also visit - take note of the differences.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank deeveedubai
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel doesn't contain stars because a kind of butique hotel but i can say that equal with a 5 stars hotel. Very clean,very modern and very very central in city. I had stayed for my bussiness but you can use here for travel İzmir. Izmir is the most beautiful city in the world and peoples are very very helpful and nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ferhat T
Reviewed March 5, 2013

When I arrived the hotel looked very splendid considering the price that we paid for the stay. The check in and welcome was very efficient and the room was very well appointed. The main issue we had was with the restaurant as we were advised it served until late (it was only 9pm). We sat in the restaurant and after about 15 minutes of zero activity I decided to find someone and managed to locate a staff member at the bar who advised yes it is open and proceeded through the back where I then heard raised voices. To cut a long story short, after much waiting around a guy came with a menu which we looked at and made our choice... No said the waiter and eventually he added we only have grilled chicken. Why oh why did they bring me a menu?

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Stephen G
Reviewed December 9, 2012

First time in Ontur Hotel and pleasantly impressed. I was there for business. I found it on the internet. In general the feedback is very positive. Staff at the reception is kind and helpful. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated with all amenitites. Missing tea & Coffee making facilities like in many other hotel of the same category, and or a welcome bottle of water. Prices are good. Breakfast is fine. There is swimming pool and spa service for free available for the guests. Perfect location in front of the exhibition center and also at walking distance form the center and the shopping area.

Room Tip: ask for rooms on the rear side in order to avoid the noise from the street,
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I had a nice one night stay at this hotel. The room was clean & had all standard amenities. The hotel is very modern design-wise - while some might like this, we found it to feel a bit sterile. This wasn't a problem since we only stayed one night, but my feeling is that this hotel might best be suited for the business traveler. There was a very nice selection for breakfast. No complaints.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple