“Perfect place to stay in Izmir.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guzel Izmir Oteli

Guzel Izmir Oteli
Ranked #44 of 93 Izmir B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect place to stay in Izmir.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed at the Guzel Izmir Oteli this September 2012 and had a great experience. It was a great little hotel at a very reasonable price. Close to the main station, the shopping bazzar and a 20 min walk to the lovely seafront. After having stayed in many budget hotels on my travels this surpassed my expectations. A lovely turkish breakfast buffet was available in the morning and there was also the surprise of small gym and relaxing area downstairs. The staff were incredibly helpful and accommodating and the free use of computer and internet was very useful. I was in izmir for a wedding and was pleased to be able to come in late and the night porter was friendly and helpful. The staff helped me with some turkish phrases and were polite and considerate during my stay. If you prefer to pay a very reasonable price for a good hotel then this place is great.
I loved it.
Many thanks

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank bobl15
Guzelizmirotel, Owner at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your nice thoughts and taking the time to write it. Your thoughts are very valubale for us. Hope to host you again @ Guzel Izmir Hotel.

Sinem Kurtural

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adana, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Had trip to Izmir arranged for about 2 months and after looking at trip advisor decided this would be a good lower budget hotel. I arrived at Izmir airport at 10:30 at night and contacted the hotel manager to determine proper taxi fare. He explained that the taxi would cost about 45 lira, but that we could take the Havas bus for 10 lira each and we would be dropped off a 3 minute walk from the hotel. I was also told that we would have to take a different room as the hotel had sold out all of the double rooms with one bed. Against my better judgement we waited for the bus and finally left the airport after 11:30 and didnt arrive to the drop off point till after midnight. The dropoff area is wonderful, if you are staying at the major hotels....but the Guzel is not one of those. Luckily we had our IPhone to map the walk.....let me say a lot more than 20 minutes and through the heart of an area Lonely Planet suggests avoiding at night. Nothing like walking by sex shops and other "guzel" areas after midnight, luckily we travel with little luggage. Check in was easy, except no-english at the front desk, and was not friendly at all, even by Turkish standards. He expected to be tipped even though my wife and I carried our own bags to the room, which was probably one of the worst in both appearance and condition that we have stayed in throughout our many travels. There were two small single beds instead of the double which may sleeping together a cozy experience. When I asked if there was a room with a double bed available (as we had reserved) the manager mentioned that there was but it was accross from a nightclub that would be playing music loudly till 2 am. We decided to keep the same room......and could still hear the same music...thump, thump, thump. There was exposed electrical wiring in the bathroom, quite close to the shower, although this was not too much of a problem since the water pressure would never reach our back, let alone the wiring. Internet is available and my wife was able to use her IPhone via their net which was a positive since I could not connect with my computer. Apparently having a good firewall/virus protection prevented me from connecting. On the plus side, breakfast was good and the dining area was clean. The English speaking owner was helpful in trying to assist with my room and internet issues, but was unable to fix the problems. Tv in the room and the AC worked nicely. So just be advised, cheap price for this location, but you get what you pay for. Also, not related to the hotel but there is little if anything to experience in Izmir unless you are here for party/club scene. After seeing the Clocktower/bazaar and the Agora ruins there was nothing else to do. We were going to try to see the Kadifekale after walking to the Agora but a fine Turkish lady grabed my arm and told me not to go there because it was not safe for "walking tourists." I had read that this area was not safe at night in my Lonely Planet Turkey guide, but this was in the middle of the afternoon. Needless to say my wife and I heeded this sage woman's advice. It is so much easier/cheaper to just stay in Sulcuk, rent a car and see that this part of Turkey has to offer.....which is what we did.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PartyCRNA

Travelers are raving about these Izmir hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

This unpretentious hotel is in a central location, within walking distance of major attractions and close to the train station for excursions to other cities. The rooms are small, but clean and the staff is helpful and friendly. Breakfast is adequate, if unexciting. I recommend it highly for basic comforts and very reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GrammarCop747
Thank you very much. We hope to host you again @ Guzel Izmir Hotel.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on two occasions and can absolutely recommend it to travelers. The breakfast is fresh and delicious, my room was clean and had both a refrigerator (a pleasant surprise) and a television. Good a/c, good water pressure, quiet atmosphere. The cost was remarkable for a single room. Most often, single travelers have to pay a double room rate, but here I was able to take a single and this saved me a lot of money.

An important thing to note is that the staff is friendly but professional. Friendly in Turkey can often mean "too friendly"--such as hassling you for tours, or ceaseless flirting. This was not the case here, thank goodness! The staff at Guzel Oteli remained kind and helpful, but were respectful of professional boundaries and guest privacy.

Another reviewer mentioned the hotel wasn't a safe location, which is absurd. It's surrounded by hotels, restaurants, and shops. I'm a single woman and I never felt uncomfortable in this area. The hotel is close to a huge, beautiful park with a running trail. (Or, if you'd rather run indoors, the hotel has a fitness center.) The location is very convenient as it's in walking distance to the waterfront, and very close to the metro, train station, and bus service to the coast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ProfAtLarge
Guzelizmirotel, Owner at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank very much for your taking the time to write a responce for Guzel Izmir Hotel. It means a lot for me and my team to read this. We try to do our best. We are not a luxury hotel so with th eminimum we try to offer the maximum. We hope to host you again @ Guzel Izmir Oteli.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Very friendly staff and very clean! It was a great place to stay and very accommodating to our short stay. They even gave us exact directions to the shuttles we needed. Loved the receptionist, he was very helpful and friendly!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nhussai2
Guzelizmirotel, Owner at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you ver much for your nice thoughts and reviewing Guzel Izmir Hotel. Hope to host you again @ Guzel Izmir Hotel.

Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed here on two separate occasions - once while travelling down from Istanbul to the area around Ephesus and once on the way back up. Both times we had the same room which was very good. The air conditioning was good and the staff were very friendly. We didn't spend a great deal of time in Izmir and so gained a limited idea as to where the main shopping/tourist areas were. However, the hotel appeared to be within walking distance of them. Free breakfast was provided, but unfortunately we left the hotel really early each time and so were unable to try it. There is gym equipment, which was very limited, and a darts board, which was very fun! The hotel is a minute away from Basmane train station. If you're getting the train from Bandirma and end up in Alsancak, it's about half an hour walk away from the hotel. Price was great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Guzelizmirotel, Owner at Guzel Izmir Oteli, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
It was pleasure to read your comments. Hope to host you again @ Guzel Izmir Otel. Have a great day. Regards.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Great value for money - very good location, clean with air-conditioning. We had a tour pick-up at 730 am so the fact that breakfast was only from 8am onwards was a bit disappointing - they could have accomodated us better by offering to provide breakfast at 715 at least. Otherwise, staff were very friendly and helpful. Free internet.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jo N
Thank you very much for staying with us. With our staff we try to act as a great team to make our guests happy. Hope to host you againg @ Guzel Izmir Otel.