“Great Location - Needs major renovation”
Review of Hotel Izmir Palas

Hotel Izmir Palas
Ranked #27 of 98 Hotels in Izmir
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel is located at a great location - Beautiful views - Close to nice restaurants - Luck of parking spaces within the hotel - The hotel needs urgently a major renovation - Rooms are clean - Price is a little high - It can be adjusted downwards to reflect the services provided.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is the second time we are staying in this hotel. It is located just near the seaside in Kordon. You can enjoy trying many pubs and restaurants lined up in Kordonboyu. The breakfast is typical Turkish but alright. Although one of the old hotels in town, the rooms are clean, large enough and the prices are okay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This hotel is located right at the harbour of Izmir with a very nice sea view. Lot`s of restaurants and bars are nearby. My room was clean, the service good. The parking service took care of my car, so after a challenging drive through Izmir that was relaxing.
Breakfast was typical Turkish, but not so opulent.

Over all a good place to stay at a not too high rate.

Room Tip: Take a room with sea view, this is definitely worth a little extra charge!! If you go there by car...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We've been staying at this hotel twice a year since 2004 mainly because of its location and very relaxing panoramic views from its front rooms.
In September 2011 when I made a reservation I made it quite clear (as always) that I don't use elevators (lifts), therefore I wanted to stay on the 2nd floor and use the stairs. I was told a room on the 2nd floor had been reserved for me, as usual.
When we arrived from the airport at 23.00 hrs (we'd flown from London) we were told by the receptionist that, on this occasion, I had to use the lift because a small floor surface on the first floor had recently been polished and therefore could not be stepped on until next morning. This receptionist and the other hotel staff knew about my reasons for not using the lift (I suffer from claustrophobia), but they still did not care and appeared indifferent to our distress. Instead, they were looking at each other smiling at our desperate situation. I offered to use the fire staircase. We were told that it could not be used and it was locked off - which we found astonishing given that this was a busy eight storey hotel. I suggested to wait a couple of hours until the floor dries. They declined my suggestion. We left our suitcases in the lobby and went to look for another hotel nearby, with a vacancy, but were unsuccessful. When we returned we were intending to sit in the lobby till morning. A different receptionist was at the reception. She told us that I can use the staircase, no problem. I was speechless and could not understand why any hotel staff would cause such distress to their guests, let alone to regular ones.
I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in many hotels all over the world - including different cities in Turkey - but have never had such an awful and unwelcoming experience as this. I would not recommend this hotel for any person with any form of special needs.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on first floor which can be noisy from the restaurants and bars below
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fugen
Reviewed May 21, 2011

We stay in Izmir Palas for 3 night and was a blast, the staff is very thoughtful, the view from the Kordón beach is amazing and there´s a lot of restaurants and bars near to the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We made a reservation and stayed for one night so we would be closer to the airport for our flight the next morning. We requested a double room with an additional bed, but got a twin limiting the space in the room, we also had to move the furniture around so our young son could sleep between us. Quite obviously, having valuables with us we needed to use the safe to put passports & money ect. The safe was not working and they said we would have to wait till the morning when the engineer comes in to sort it (by which time we would have already checked out heading for the airport. They said that there were safe's downstairs that we could use. downstairs safe's did not work either! they could not find the keys and the ones they had did not open the safes. I suggested that they change the room for us, they did not want to do this as we had already used the room for half an hour!! Eventually, our passports and money were left in the hotel's own safe!

Upon our return to the room at about midnight, the kids were tired and were unable to sleep, because apparently the hotel heating/air con system was centrally located elsewhere and nobody within the building had access to it. I asked if fans were available just so my young kids could sleep they said NO! I also asked if there was an open place that I could buy one and again the answer was NO! (I found out the following morning that there was a 24hr supermarket open a few miles away). They just kept repeating " nothing we can do!!!!". We even tried opening the balcony door, but on a Saturday night with traffic this was not going to be an option. My children finally fell asleep at 2.30am to be up for 7am to catch the flight.

Breakfast was a joke as well, minimal selection, the scrambled eggs were quite obviously made in a microwave, as they had been over done and gone green in the middle. I did ask for hard boiled eggs, but these came underdone and again was not edible.

On check out I complained about all the incidents, their reaction was either silence, or when I asked to speak to someone in charge the receptionist (male) stood up and said it was him! I have never seen such bad customer service in all the hotels I've stayed in, not even an apology for the bad service! just a " thanks for your money, get out now". I would NEVER AGAIN stay at this hotel and will make sure that all who asks me will know the same. Clearly this hotel is NOT SUITABLE TO STAY IN AS THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!

Room Tip: We paid £100 for the night NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dawnmac
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Quite often I stay in the big city hotel. Great location; just by the sea and in the very city center. It looks a bit 1950s, which I like a lot.

Room Tip: Take a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business