“Clean and tidy Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Baylan

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Baylan
Ranked #17 of 96 Hotels in Izmir
Melbourne, Australia
“Clean and tidy Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great place to stay with very generous sized rooms and modern bathroom facilities, for price charged. Very clean too. Also very helpful on reception answered all our questions. A bonus is that there is a free stand alone PC for using the internet.
From my 2 week stay in Turkey this would be the best place I stayed in overall. Just be a bit careful at night as close to the bus station.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Victoria G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Overall very good. I accidentally booked this hotel. It's at least 20 minutes drive to Izmir airport. Rooms very clean. Breakfast was versatile. Location wise not the best. In the old neighbourhood of Izmir. Could get noisy at night.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Babies_on_board_10
Faversham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We arrived quite late from the airport, about midnight. I had reserved via email a couple of days before. We stayed in mid June 13.

The room was really nice, quite large, good air con, tv etc. Reception staff were very friendly and the breakfast buffet in the morning was great.

We only stayed one night as we were catching the train the next day to go to Denizili. The hotel is about a 2 minute walk from the train station.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rachel H
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Wife and I stayed here for 1 night before moving on to visit Ephesus, Pamukkale and Cappadocia. Baylan was very near to Basmane (10 mins walk) but a little tricky to locate. We asked someone in a shop and was sorted. We took the Izban train from Izmir airport to Basmane, a 30+ minutes journey but the train was crowded (C 1pm). The train station was 10-15 min walk from the airport terminal and was covered with some travellators so no big problem. Best to ask the train attendants to be sure of catching the right train, we waited only 10 mins. We used the earliest train (7:45am) to get to Selcuk (c.1 hr) for Ephesus and the nearness of the Basmane was the main reason for staying in Baylan in the first place.

Checking in was quick. The room was clean and spacious. AC worked fine. Bathroom was clean and good. The staff was helpful. The breakfast was basic'ish but fine for us. As we had to catch the early train, they asked us to come down at 6:30 instead of the usually 7am. Very good of them. We walked into town from there to spend the afternoon/evening, 20 mins along the main road with shops, fine for us. All in all and considering the charge and what you get for it, we would recommend Baylan for a short stay, especially if you need to access the train.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
27 Thank SC168
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Hotel Baylan (Basmane) -- Izmir

Of all the hotels I’ve ever stayed at, the Baylan Hotel in Basmane is among my favorites.

This 2-star hotel provides 5-star service and has a 5+-star ambience. I stayed at this place for a whopping 3 months (mid-December 2012 to mid-March 2013). Three months is a very long time to spend at any hotel, but this place provides a great base from which to explore Izmir, as well as nearby historical sites such as Ephesus, Pergamum and Pamukkale.

A 3-month stay at a hotel is also long enough to notice any problems that might not be obvious during a 3-night stay. However, even after 3 months, I couldn’t find a single thing wrong with this place. The only things I could find were several ‘right’ things.

Location:

The location of this hotel couldn’t be better. It’s about a 5-minute walk to the metro/train station, and from the train station, a 20-minute ride to the airport. It’s about a 10-minute walk to the beautiful Kultur Park, and a 15-minute walk to the Kemeralti Bazaar and Konak Square (the heart of Izmir).

Before I went to Izmir, several people had warned me that Basmane was a ‘rough and dangerous’ district. However, I didn’t find that to be the case at all! I viewed it as a district with ‘character’. In fact, I spent many days exploring the back alleys of Basmane and twice made the very steep climb through those back alleys up to Alexander the Great’s Castle and then back down again.

Now if anyone is a potential target for a criminal assault, it’s me: single female and senior citizen, but I never once encountered anything but good-natured people who were polite, friendly and helpful.

Having said that, I would also add that common sense should prevail. Obviously, one would not explore these back alleys after dark. Lighting is poor, so there’d be nothing much to see anyway. Quite aside from that, in any city, back alleys after dark frequently do attract ‘bad guys’, so it’s best to save poking about for the daylight hours.

Price:

The Baylan has very reasonable rates and is good value for the money.

Rooms: (see photos)
• clean, spacious and quiet
• mini-bar and in-room safety deposit box
• hot water 24/7
• air-con (for summer) and radiator (for winter)
• very comfortable beds

Breakfast: included in the price of the room (see photos)
• good standard buffet, e.g., bread, eggs, cereal, cheese, fruit, etc.
• nicely set out in a well-lit dining room

Lounge: (see photos)
• bright, large, with comfortable sofas
• smoke-free environment -- smokers can just pop outside for a drag
• adjacent to lounge is a bar

Other Common Areas: (see photos)
• free wifi plus free use of a desk-top computer for those of us who don’t haul around laptops
• hallways and stairwells are spotlessly clean
• security cameras on each floor
• back of hotel has outdoor patio (with table and chairs) and a garden
• rooftop provides panoramic views of Izmir

There is also a laundry service across the lane from the hotel.

Repair Service:

• TV conked out once and was fixed within 15 minutes of my having reported the problem
• in-room key-card holder became loose and was fixed within 10 minutes of my having mentioned the problem

Staff:

I really liked the staff at the Baylan! They are among the nicest hotel staff I’ve ever met anywhere in the world.

Hatice (from Housekeeping)
OMG! When this lady cleans a room, She REALLY cleans a room!!! Hatice always made sure that my room was spotless and that I had everything I needed.

Akad, Kazim, and Neycat (from front desk)
These guys were always very helpful and good-natured.
Both Kazim and Neycat have a particularly good understanding of English, which made things a whole lot easier for me, since I don’t understand Turkish.

Neycat -- this guy looks just like Yanni -- even asked one of the hotel attendants to accompany me to the Basmane Police Station to have my residence permit checked. (I had no idea where the place was.) Kazim was also kind enough to make several phone calls for me about one thing or another.

A credible review of anything suggests a balanced review, i.e., good points and bad points, but quite honestly, I can’t think of any bad points about this hotel.

A couple of minor suggestions might be that the hotel should post a mini-bar price list in the rooms and perhaps also put up directional arrows to the reception area. (Several people came in one of the entrances to the hotel and asked me -- as I was pounding away on the computer -- ‘Reception?’)

Don’t let the ‘Basmane reputation’ discourage you from enjoying this great hotel in Izmir.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
16 Thank starlightShanghai
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We came to Izmir mainly to see Ephesus so the location of this hotel was great for us as although the waterfront was about 30 mins away the train stations were both easily accessible (especially the one we needed to catch to the airport). The staff were very friendly (english was pretty limited though) and even carried one of our packs to the station. Rooms were nice but bathroom pretty disappointing (very cramped), also noise levels were not good. Was more like a hostel in this respect. Possibly a bit overpriced but good place to stay if you want to be near the train stations!

• Stayed April 2013
16 Thank OE568
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

For less than 40US dollars, you can have a very clean and large room, clean towel, bathroom, air corn and free breakfast. what can you ask for? i stay in this hotel for 3 nights. in a busy district but a bit off the main road. I higher recommend this hotel if you on a budget travel.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor, i stay on 2nd floor and can hear people talking on the street like outside your...