“Great location”

Ranked #20 of 96 Hotels in Izmir
Far Hills, New Jersey
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

We recently spent 10 days in Izmir with family and stayed at the Ege Palas. The location is excellent for spending time exploring the city as well as day trips to other sites in western Turkey. The hotel staff were very helpful in providing information for getting around the city, restaurant recommendations, and taxi service. Because it is located in an active part of the city with lots of night life, it is a smart idea to ask for a room on an upper floor with a sea view. We stayed on the 18th floor and had a million dollar view of the harbor that was breathtaking! We had no problems with the elevators. The room itself was clean but can definitely use some updating. The side of the tub/shower combo is very high which would be difficult for anyone elderly or handicapped to maneuver. The beds were very comfortable, and they offer pillows to suit your comfort level. My only criticism of the hotel is that they do not allow you to bring in outside food or drinks. They provide you with one bottle of complimentary water per day (per person) which is NOT nearly what you need in this very HOT country. It's really a very dumb rule, except it's a way for them to make money from the water in the minibar. We brought in water every day anyway. They really need to reconsider this policy. The included breakfast in the hotel is outstanding, and the wait-staff in the dining room were cheerful and very friendly. All in all, this hotel is a good, affordable choice if you plan to visit this interesting city and country!

Room Tip: Upper floor (10 or higher) with sea view are away from the loud, street noise. Lower than 10 and you...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

As this is the only hotel I stayed at in Turkey, I'm not sure how to compare it. My room was clean and had a nice view of the sea. I heard a lot of traffic noise throughout the night .... even being up on a very high floor. Elevators were painfully slow. Staff seemed very helpful and friendly.

The area around the hotel has a lot of restaurants and bars. At night, I enjoyed exploring the area and felt safe walking around.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank FREEquentFlyer66
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Its an old hotel with a lot of attitude.....I had booked in for two nights but checked out the next day.....

From the moment I entered the hotel I had a feeling it was over priced....while checking in I requested the guy at the reception for a Sea Facing room....with all his attitude he said sea view will be 10 Euros extra.....When I requested him to upgrade he made a face as if I had asked him for his one month salary......anyways when he gave me the room I requested if I can get a higher floor to which the answer was obviously No if you want u have to wait for 2 hours.... I was tired so I told him to give what he had and went to my room.... an old life....patchy walls....I was some what ready to see my room but the moment I opened the door their was a stink in the room....I went back down and told them that I cant take this room if u have another better room give it else I am leaving..... I had totally lost my temper. ...anyways they changed my room and god knows from where they got me a 16th floor room from 4th floor earlier?

Late in the evening I asked them if they had an adapter for the socket as I had an Indian Charger fpr my laptop....they said they dont have and I can buy it from the market in the morning....well I guess this was the turning point when I decided ita bye bye time...

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank thementorix
Izmir
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were given a room by the receptionist Arda :( on the 7th floor where we could hear the music and beats from a nearby nightclub until 5:00 am. To our surprise, there were only a few customers staying at the hotel that night. My roommate could sleep somehow so I couldn't say "Hey, wake up. We're changing rooms" in the middle of the night. When I complained in the morning, they told me "Oh, you should have asked us. We would have changed your room." Look! In the first place, why do you assign a room where you knew we could hear the noise while the upper floors of the hotel were not occupied.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I spent some days in Izmir in the Hotel. Beside the Hotel is old and expensive, the area of the hotel smells, it is very very loud and the side where the hotelentrance is, is dangerous. Breakfast was ok. Parking area is available in a garage

Room Tip: take sea sided rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 38MikeO
istanbul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

One of the good hotels in izmir. Located in central, alsancak easy transport to the airport either with metro (izban), or shuttle service. Lovely scenery -sea and city. Rich and tasty breakfast. Large rooms was ok. The only disadvantage of the hotel is the bathroom - a little bit old fashioned.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suleyman A
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This modern high rise hotel is located on a narrow almost inaccessible street one block back from the sea. Lacking in character, this property was fine but not memorable. Everything was OK but not exceptional. Students demonstrating a few blocks away added some excitement to the visit.

Room Tip: Don't try to find this place on your own. Take a tour.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family