“Glad I went cuz I love history.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Day Trip to Pergamum and Asklepion from Izmir
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Bergama
More attraction details
Owner description: Among the most spectacular in Turkey, the site has remarkable remains from the Roman and Byzantine periods.
san jose
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Glad I went cuz I love history.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I make it a practice to visit any site that holds Roman ruins. What intrigued me about this site was the possiblity of seeing Hellinistic ruins. I joined up with a small group (12) out of Izmir with a guide and we went to Pergamum and Ascepelion--this included a lunch stop and the obligatory 'turkish rug' coop stop. That being said, most of the day was spent traveling to and from the site (4 hours) and after you factored in lunch and the 'carpet' stop, left little time at each site to really delve into the many written posts around Pergamum--but thats just me. I like reading all the signs and spending time absorbing a location and the others in the group were quite content to just move along at a quick clip and just hear what the guide had to say. Being in the group did get us right up to the gate onto the site and included tickets. This aside, I found the site quite interesting and well worth visiting--bring an umbrella as like most sites in Turkey, shade is a rarity and the sun a constant. Its on top of a hill so sturdy shoes are a must (though there was evidence of a soon to be installed wooden walkways). If I returned, it would be with a private guide -- in Turkey all private guides must complete a rigourous education are are worth their weight in gold-- My decision to visit this site alone and at the last minute narrowed my option of joining this small group (which was kind of fun and interesting duriing our lunch time conversations).

3 Thank lopakapele

• Turkish first
Forest, Virginia
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“INTERESTING RUINS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

We could see Pergamum ruins up on the hill but we did not go up there. Instead we toured the Asciepion area which was an ancient spa/treatment center. Great explanation on their understanding of psychotherapy. Afterwards we purchased several pieces of parchment which was created there once the Egyptians cut of the papyrus supply to the area. Pergamum is one of the churches written about in the Book of Revelations.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank SUSANCROUCH
Manama
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Amazing Ruins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

We visited the ruins of Pergamon after touring Troy. The city was located on a hill and the views from the top were incredible. You can access the ancient city by cable car, but our tour company (TJ's Tours) drove us to the site. Our guide pointed out several other sites as we made it up the hill, which we would not have been able to see by cable car. As was the case in Troy, a guide was a must in Pergamon. He shared the history of the city in detail and told us many fascinating stories about the Greek and Roman civilizations. There were many ruins to see in the city, much more than Troy. However, each ancient city we visited had its unique charm. I wouldn't say that one was superior to another. It took us 3 hours by car to reach Pergamon from Troy. After touring Pergamon we drove another 3 hours to Kusadasi, where we stayed for the next couple of nights to tour Ephesus. Pergamon is a beautiful place to visit, not only for its rich history, but for the unparalleled views on top of the hill. Try to make it if you can. You won't be disappointed. Just be aware that if you're going with a guide, he may make a final stop at an onyx workshop. They won't pressure you to buy anything, but it can get annoying to make the stop when you're eager to hit the road.

2 Thank OzziesPiddles
The Hague, The Netherlands
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Interesting site but expensive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Bergsma is worth visiting but the locals discovered its commercial value: everything is charged for. Ice creams four times the normal price. Entrance as well. You go up to the theatreto by cable car, or so if seems. The signs lead you there. You pay 10 TL a person but you can also drive there from the other site of the mountain. Cable car is nice though. Entrance for the Asklepion and the site on the top with the spectacular theatre are seperate. One 15 TL the other 20.

Bray Ireland
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“From the eye of the Gods”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This site completely blew my mind. I didn't really know anything about it before our visit, so everything was a surprise. What a location - you try to imagine ancient times when the surrounding countryside was empty and the people lucky enough to be here were literally looking down on the world. It is simply stunning. Not as visited as Ephesus so much more peaceful and quiet. Then go down to Asklepion and hear how advanced their thinking was regarding mental problems. Absolutely a must see for anyone interested in the history of all that region.

Visited April 2013