“Great for information at the start of your trip”

Bayazhan Gaziantep City Museum
Ranked #11 of 37 things to do in Gaziantep
Ankara, Turkey
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great for information at the start of your trip”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

If you visit Gaziantep without doing any research on it (like I did), the Bayazhan Gaziantep City Museum is a great place to start on your first day. I wouldn't go to it at the end of the trip (or if you already have some kind of guidebook); it would be largely pointless.

There are informational displays divided up by rooms (historical, food, Gaziantep's local handicrafts, way of life, other areas of touristic merit), which I treated almost as if it were a guidebook, in order to inform the rest of my activities during my 5-day visit. The museum exhibits feature mostly wall text, a few videos, and mannequins set up in vignettes, not really any historical objects.

Supposedly the audio tour is available in English, but mine was in Turkish and I couldn't get it to switch languages. If you need English, be sure to ask for it. The Turkish audio tour was nicely produced -- good professional narration and some music and sound effects for atmosphere.

I wish I had known there was a shop and that one could enter the restaurant area (where I think there are more shops), but I suppose that is the pitfall of not doing any research before visiting.

Visited June 2013

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“rip off”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Bayazhan is a historical building you should visit in Gaziantep. I hope this review is not out of place- it is going to be about the restaurant at Bayazhan. I enjoyed the food at the restaurant but I was very surprised when the bill came! Instead of placing bottles of water on our table and charging us for that, they kept filling our glasses with water without being asked (I don't even know if it was tap water... and I'd like to know!). They also gave us pide (sort of bread) before the meal, which is usually gratis. We were charged BOTH for the water and the pide!! Especially for big groups this sums up to an insane amount of money and since this is really not how restaurants work in Turkey, we were very negatively surprised.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank cyprus92
Kas, Turkey
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Good value”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

One feels this was sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce; it is unabashedly self promoting. That said for the price of one lira, it was worth it. You are given an audio guide in the language of your choice, which automatically ( usually) clicks onto the rooms' selection. Lots of interesting facts about the agricultural and commercial output of the area.

Visited October 2012
Ankara, Turkey
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“nice city mseum start antep tour from here”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

before going anywhere in gaziantep go this little nice museum located in an old antep mansion. I really loved this nice mansion and museum very much. the entrance fee is only one turkish lira, which is almost gratis. after visiting the museum you can have something in the courtyard of this old mansion.

Visited September 2012
Arizona
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Nice Find!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Great little museum in the heart of Gaziantep. A nice place to spend an hour or two. A bit tired in appearance and difficult to find (as are most museums in Antep) but surely worth a visit if you are in the area. Lots of very interesting stories and Antep history portrayed with life-size displays and artifacts. Be sure to get the electronic translator option when you arrive and enjoy your visit.

Visited June 2012