“The highlight of our trip!!!”
Review of Melis Cave Hotel

Melis Cave Hotel
Ranked #41 of 65 Hotels in Urgup
Toronto
“The highlight of our trip!!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

This is my very first posting on tripadvisor.com. I used the sight a few times to get the lowdown on hotels but was never pulled to write a review until now. My husband and I had such a great experience that I had to mention it on this website. I was immediately struck by the stunning architecture. We stayed in an Ottoman style room and I must say, it was more than we expected. BEAUTIFUL!!! So romantic. It bosted tall stone ceilngs which resembled a cave hotel. The beds were very comfortable, the furnishings were neat and modern. The pool is a HUGE added bonus. We were told by a local resident that it is the only hotel with a pool. The August days are SO hot and so the pool was very appreciated. My husband became ill after our first day of arrival in Capadoccia. We believe it was one of the local restaurants. (Avoid ground beef of any sort). We had already purchased our tour packages and the hotel manager was unbelievably accomodating. We were able to postpone the tour and he had the cook make up special foods for him to assist in his recovery. The staff was 10 out of 10!!!!!! We ended up finally going on our tour and it was OUTSTANDING!!!!! I would definitely recommend the tour because there is no way you would be able to understand the finer points on your own. Highlights were the underground city and the 4km hike in the valley. Bring good walking shoes! If you are planning a trip to Capadoccia, I would ABSOLUTELY reccomend the Melis Hotel!

• Liked — The beautiful setting and rooms
  • Disliked — It is 7 minutes up the hill from the main town. Not a big deal though!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2008

i traveled solo to turkey this past june and a friend who lives in the area booked a room for me at the melis hotel. i stayed for 6 nights and i must say i enjoyed it thoroughly.
i was able to wake up in the morning and help myself to the lovely breakfast buffet that was included in my cost. i dipped my feet in the pool each day for a few hours, and sat at one of the tables surrounding the pool for a few more hours. the staff was very friendly and helpful, and was there to offer me tea anytime ... and they are there to help you find a tour, too, if you're interested in one.
the hotel is in a great location... not in the middle of urgup, but just a short walk from it. theres is internet, which was a pleasant surprise, and there is a computer for guests to use, if you have not brought your own.
there is only like 2 or 3 television stations... and the staff did not make up my room, but that wasnt a problem for me really. there is a bar or disco nerby, so at night, you can hear the faint bass of music, but again, that wasnt much of an issue. there is a mosque right next door, so the first morning, it's a bit startling to hear the call to prayer at sunrise, but you get over it.. or just bring some earplugs :)
there is a doorway leading to the street from the pool/courtyard area, so you dont always have to walk through the lobby, which is good, because i just feel silly sometimes walking past the same people all the time..
i would definitely recommend melis hotel to anyone visiting cappadocia.!

• Liked — pool area... pool, hang out area, nice view, pool 'bar', music
  • Disliked — mosque right next door... i.e. sunrise calls to prayer
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank maramez
London
Reviewed September 1, 2007

My wife and I are travelling around Europe for 8 weeks and have been looking for good budget accomodation - whilst in the Cappadocia, we decided to 'splurge' a little bit ...

We booked 3 nights at the Melis (50 Eur/night) and were highly impressed - this was probably the best overall hotel we have stayed in on this trip (bear in mind this was the 12th place we had stayed in 6 weeks)

The hotel manages to combine the coolness and professionalism of a boutique hotel with the friendly nature of a family run place.

Plus points - comfortable room and reasonable ensuite size, free wi-fi in rooms. Super friendly and helpufl staff without being intrusive. Pleasant buffet breakfast. The location is also good, being a 5min walk to the functional town of Urgup. Finally the hotel is also hooked up to a great local travel agency (Magic Valley), who organised a day trip in the region and hot air ballooning for us at really competitive rates. (Normally I am very wary about doing this, as typically travel agents attached to hotels try a super hard sell and offer terrible value - this was definitiely not the case for Melis / Magi Valley). FInally on our transfer day, they gave us late check-out and full use of the facilities until our evening pick up!

Negative points - NONE!

We would gladly come back to this hotel if we were ever in the region again and would happily reccommend it to anyone visiting the Cappadocia region!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Europe
Reviewed December 18, 2006

Good hotel. Good sized room. Room was beside the pool, not in the main building, so it kept reasonably cool (Aug temps are 45 deg c).

Nice pool - a bit cold though.

Not enough sunloungers, so not many people can be by the pool.

Free internet.

Biggest problem - too far away from Goreme! Best to stay in Goreme instead. Most tours only depart from Goreme. The hotel does have a tour, but it is more expensive, and you have to take 2 day trips to see what you can see in 1 day trip from a Goreme tour.

Buses to Goreme only depart every 2 hours. So, unless you are hiring a car (this is far more expensive that Greece), stay in Goreme.

• Liked — Pool, Free Internet
  • Disliked — Distance to Historical sites, infrequent public transport, expense daytrips sold, expensive alchol
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in Goreme - espeically if you are backpacking on a budget
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
istanbul , Turkey
Reviewed October 17, 2006

This is my second time in Melis Hotel. it is in a ver ygood location in Urgup and gave us a very good deal. We stayed in a cave style room and enjoyed our stay alot. Especially at night we watched football next to fireplace in their lovely bar with their boss .

• Liked — cave room and cave bar
  • Disliked — a wasp which attacks to my brakfast :)
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends