“Warm ans cosy..”

Ranked #44 of 65 Hotels in Urgup
Bangalore
“Warm ans cosy..”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

When I first entered Hotel Burcu Kaya , at first I was a bit apprehensive. It was raining, and everything had a musty feeling to it. When we were shown our room, the feeling increased, because the room was small and dark. Even with all lights on, the corners were dark. The
bathroom was good though. Didn't really have a great feeling about it. Then we went down for breakfast, and our spirits began to lift. The staff at the restaurant were great. They dont speak much English, but one cannot miss the warmth. The food was good as well. I have seen
much more food spread out in many other hotels, but here it was tasty and delicious. The service in the dining room is warm and attentive.

We stayed here for 4 days, and every day, this hotel grew on us. We started liking the cave like interiors, the garden in front, the wide terraces , the cats and the bar area which had the friendly warmth of your neighbourhood cafe. We went in spring and the swimming pool
was dry, I didnt ask though about it. This place is not huge or luxurious, it is just friendly and warm and cosy. The strength of Burcu Kaya are its staff. We felt everywhere in the Cappadokia region that the people are very warm and soft. We were sad to leave at the end of 4 days.
Going down into details, we had 2 rooms, one twin and one double. The twin was very small, the double , a bit better. The bathrooms are good, good water pressure and decent toiletteries. The only down side of this hotel is, it is in the middle of nowhere. Urgup is 5 km away and you have to take a taxi which will cost you 20 TL one way. Buses are also there, but the walk from the bus stop to hotel is a bit long and I dont think that the frequency of buses is that good.
All in all , very pleasant stay. Recommended for people who are not looking for luxury, but just a freindly , clean place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Vidya G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We really liked this hotel. It was very comfortable and clean with nice olive oil soaps and natural cotton bathrobes.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The setting of this hotel is really lovely. Very photogenic where you could just aim your camera and the pictures would come out looking really scenic. It is a quaint hotel representative of what the Cappadocia region of Turkey was all about. Our room was a bit too compact although it was clean with bare necessities. I suppose it was for the cave like impact. We were a bit disappointed that there was no tea/ coffee making facility nor complimentary bottled drinking water provided.The bed was not as comfortable as we would like it to be (mattress too soft) and we had trouble adjusting the temperature of the shower because it could just switch from being just right to either very cold or very hot. But we really love the wonderful spread and the variety of choices that we had for breakfast and dinner, The fruits and vegetables served were organically grown and the dishes were superb. The staff were pleasant, courteous and friendly. The highlight of our stay was a hot air balloon ride which we feel should be on everyone's must do list in Cappadocia. The view and experience are just superbly fantastic and unforgettable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2011

The hotel isn't in a cave, but I didn't think it was, so wasn't upset by that. Staff are friendly and the meals are good. Our bathroom was a bit strange - half bath / half shower but the pressure was good and there was plenty of hot water. The rooms are tiny, but the beds are super comfy. We had to check out early to drive back to Istanbul (about 7am) and had a knock on the door about 10 minutes before we left to check if we had taken anything from the mini-bar, which I thought was a bit strange. I's shop around and see what else is around. Cappadocia is a great little town!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
America's Finest City, San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 28, 2011

First of all this hotel is in the middle of the sticks! You will be isolated if you stay here as far as places to shop, no nightlife, etc.

I had prepaid for my hotel "Suite Room" from Hotels.com. I had a late arrival (about 9pm) and I was told by the reception (male) clerk that my room type (Suite) was not available. (They had sold/given it to someone else!) I was offered a nasty three bedroom room with the beds all slumping in the middle and barely enough room to move around. I was not happy. The desk clerk was a hard nose man who had no intentions of doing anything to accommodate me into something equally as nice as I should have received. Based on their horrible staff and what I had to put up after it was THEIR mistake I would never recommend this dive to anyone.

For one hour and a half I stood there and argued with him and his staff. He said that there was no manager on duty, until Monday! Yeah, like I was going to stick around to wait for a manager to show up. No way!! Finally one of the female staff clerks who was feeling my pain offered to help me. She said I would be taken (via their van) to another hotel that I would really enjoy. Although I was thoroughly skeptical at this point that this other hotel would be better I took the risk saying that I would be back if it wasn't better.

She was absolutely right! OMG, it (Yusuf Yiğitoğlu Konağı) was to die for. I was put into the Kaya Suite on the second level and was so happy. Check on Booking.com (see their 8th and 9th picture that was my room!) Fabulous and so was their breakfast. Their staff was attentive so unlike the Burcu Kaya. If you are a cheap tourist and don't care about how the room looks or if you can physically move inside your room then stay at the Burcu Kaya Hotel and take your chances. IF you want quality and feel you deserve the best then stay at the Yusuf Yigitoglu Konagi Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Yusuf Yigitoglu Konagi Hotel (not at the Burcu Kaya Hotel)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Livin_Life_In_Style
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I reaaly enjoyed the experience in this hotel. Is out of everything, so, if you are there you need a car to go everywhere, but the hotel is a little gem, with nice food and a beatiful architeture.
Is not a cave hotel but the building is completly insert in the cappadocia landscape.
In the pool and also from some rooms is possible to have a view from rock mountains. Breakfast is glorious and at night is possible to have a dinner in the restaurant, a very honest buffett.
Rooms are quite small and they tried to reproduce a cave, is cute.
The outdoor area is great with a great garden and a small fontain.
If you can, go to the small village right down the hotel, is fantastic to see a real turkish life, with the mens tea house, small shops, and normal people (not tourists) on the streets.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank aleteles
Paris, France
Reviewed August 28, 2009

It’s not a cave hotel, as they’ve advertised themselves to be. They've just built it to look like one, but it's very much free-standing. It’s also not located in Urgup, as their address shows online. It’s actually located in a satellite city of Urgup, called Ortahisar, located 6km away. Ortahisar has little to speak for…with virtually no entertainment for tourists in the evenings. There seems to be more tractors than cars, and no restaurants or cafes. Getting to the relative conveniences of Ugrup requires either taking a taxi or a bus. Busses supposedly run every 20 minutes from another hotel just a block down the road, but we waited for 30 minutes, and never saw a bus arrive. Instead, we walked into Ortahisar town and caught a taxi. A taxi ride costs about 15 TYL, either flat or by meter.

The hotel seems a bit old, and musty smelling. The bathroom could use an upgrade, and overhaul to prevent dripping water in places. The courtyard out front and the pool area are quite nice to relax in, however. The staff are friendly, and pretty helpful when you need any assistance. The man whom I believe is the hotel manager, however, comes off as a pushy salesperson, always trying to up-sell us on "nicer" and more expensive tour options. Every offer of assistance coming from him felt like he saw it as another option to make some extra cash.

A stay in this hotel usually includes both breakfast and dinner. However, the dinner buffet isn't spectacular... We actually tried it once, and then left the hotel for dinner the next day. Breakfast is fairly standard across Turkey, although they did offer an omelet cooking stand, which is, admittedly, pretty nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urgup
Elif Stone House
Dilek Kaya Hotel
#9 of 17 in Ortahisar
Best Western Premier Cappadocia
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia

Been to Burcu Kaya Hotel? Share your experiences!