“Atmosphere, charm, and comfort in Cappadocia”

Kale Konak Cave Hotel
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Uchisar
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I loved thsi hotel. The room was large and comfortable; we stayed in one of the "arch" rooms (lots of windows/not a cave). The building is charming, beautifully designed and decorated and full of atmosphere. After a day of hiking, the hamam (turking bath) was very welcoming. The staff was very friendly and helpful; breakfast on the terrace was excellent. We felt as if we were in a timeless place. Although the hotel is close to the Castle tourist site, it was very quite. we did have an excellent view of Pigeon Valley and the balloon rides from our bedroom and the terraces. I'd recommend this hotel highly (but it is NOT accessible for those with difficulty walking/climbing stairs).

Room Tip: Decide if you want a cave room or an arched ceiling room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarrieR4533
There are newer reviews for Kale Konak Cave Hotel

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Kale Konak for 4 nights in June 2013. This hotel is absolutely beautiful; we especially enjoyed the breakfasts on the terrace overlooking the pigeon valley. I also loved Chile the dog who hung out on the terrace and was always happy to see us! I found this hotel through Argeus Tours (an owner of Kale Konak is the cousin of our tour guide at Argeus) and we were thrilled with the combination!

** I accidentally selected "excellent" for fitness center and swimming pool below, which this hotel does not have, and Trip Advisor won't let me change it. But this hotel does have a wonderful hamam!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anna S
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our family loved this hotel. The cave room experience was a first and extremely comfortable. Room was very cool. Beautiful decor at the hotel. Breakfast was excellent and carefully prepared. Complimentary drinking water in rooms.

Abdullah and his team are very helpful. He helped us with tours, shuttle rides to and from airport which was a great help. Amenities were offered like laundry, etc. my family and I loved the experience at this boutique hotel.

Location was convenient to shops, cafes and right at the foot of the lovely Uchisar Castle.

Room Tip: If you like natural light you might ask for a room with a window but we don't miss it. Slept ver...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mariam L
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My cousin and I stayed at Kale Konak for two nights to explore Cappadocia. First, we were struck by the hotel's beautiful architecture with rooms staying true to Cappadocia's landscape. The hotel was a welcome relief after long days of sight seeing with features such as the turkish bath, a beautiful lawn, and a wonderful dining space with the best view imaginable. The food was amongst the best we had on our trip around Turkey. It was clear that only the best ingredients were used and much care went into preparing our meals. Attentive and courteous staff complemented the hotel's features and dining experience. Abdullah was always around to offer a tip on Turkey or address our questions. The day manager was wonderful! She allowed us to keep our room for an entire extra day to accommodate our late evening flight. There is no doubt in my mind that I will highly recommend the hotel to my friends and anyone who wants to visit Cappadocia.

Thank you for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have stayed in numerous hotels, including 5 star hotels and bed and breakfasts, during my travels and I believe the Kale Konak is my best hotel experience to date. It has all the personal attention of a bed and breakfast without the feeling if intrusion, and I am convinced the amenities are the best Cappadocia has to offer despite being carved into a 4,000+ year old cave.

Not only were the views and breakfast (which have been described by other reviewers and of which I will post pictures when I am back home,) just fabulous, but I want to expand in the personal attention. First it should be highlighted for anyone who has never been to Turkey before, it is the friendliest country of the 30some I have been to. To emphasize this point, I will share that both in Antalya and in Izmir, strangers in the street, despite the language barrier, have stopped when they saw my group quizzically studying a map (one parked a construction tractor to come help us) to not just give us directions but literally walk us blocks to our door. And still the staff of the Kale Konak has stood out.

Before arriving, Abdullah, the owner, helped me set up our reservation, transportation, (to include local bus transportation to the next city) and was so kind and helpful it made me feel prepared to start our Turkish adventure. He also comes out to welcome you and check up on how everything is at breakfasts. He never pushed using his preferred tour companies or transportation companies as many of the other people in the tourism industry we've run into do, but he will make recommendations if you ask him.

Upon arrival, my mom and aunt's luggage was lost. After filing a report at the airport, they went to the hotel and one of the staff members went down to the local store and purchased them toothbrushes and toothpaste, though they were willing to go themselves and purchase them. Then they worked with the airline the next day to make sure the luggage was delivered when we were out on a tour. The staff will show you how to use the Turkish bath, free (and most importantly private) for hotel guests. This was so nice we had to check out our last morning for new guests booked after us, we were able to use the Turkish bath house to shower after our long day of touring, before our long bus ride to the next town. They have no problems giving you a 3:45 wake up call or knock if need help getting up for the hot air balloon rides. The staff was so just so friendly and helpful in general; always smiling, eager to help, though not hovering which can be awkward, always offering a complementary tea or coffee or water when you are out in the patio. Not only all that, but we had large luggage to take to the bus upon our departure and one of the staff members took us the couple blocks down the hill in her own car then talked to the bus operators to make sure we got on the right bus.

It's hard to convey in a review like this how genuine all their efforts were and what a welcoming feeling this hotel, Abdullah and his staff left us with, but you won't be disappointed.

My last comments are this place had slightly firm mattresses in our room (which I prefer but some don't like.) We didn't try the tv to see if there were any channels in English. The wi-fi worked without issues. My mom said she had a problem getting the shower hot enough at one of the nights, but the rest never had a problem. And, like everywhere we have stayed in Turkey, you can hear the call to prayer early and late so if you are a light sleeper bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the unique experience of staying in a cave hotel for 4 days

The hotel is owner operated. We found the owners and all staff to be absolutely wonderful (very friendly, attentive and helpful). They go the extra mile without batting an eyelid. They serve an excellent traditional breakfast (included in the price) on the outside deck overlooking Pigeon valley and the extensive vista beyond. We also reserved a table and enjoyed a quality evening meal in the hotel restaurant on one of the nights of our stay.

The building we stayed in had several rooms on a few different levels (probably 4 rooms in the building). We stayed in room number 13. This was probably not as authentic a cave room as some of the others. We chose it because we preferred a room with more windows and a vista (after months of gloomy British weather). The more cave-like rooms looked equally charming (stone architecture / structure, furniture, the working antique phone, Jacuzzi bath etc). We would definitely consider staying in one of these rooms on a future visit. In 'our' building there were shared areas - a kitchen, dining area, extensive reading room, a covered deck, and two rooftop decks. We always seemed to have these all to ourselves.

The location is great (semi-rural). It is immediately below the ‘Castle’ and if you enjoy walking, you can access the Love Valley and Pigeon valley easily. These are ‘a must’. The owners assisted us with renting a car locally for two days - a no fuss process which was really cheap. This enabled us to take our time exploring the fascinating areas they suggested we visit. It is quick to drive to the Goreme (a very quaint town, hot air balloon ride meeting point); The Cave Museum; Urgup town; Avanos town; Sarihan ( Whirling Dervish - http://www.goreme.com/whirling-dervishes-ceremony.php); Underground Cities (Kaymakli http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/CentralAnatolia/Cappadocia/yeralti/).

We ate a few meals in the other local restaurants in Urchisar - walking distance from the hotel. These offered wonderful genuine Turkish food served up by the warm Turkish owners.

We felt the Sarihan Whirling Dervish experience was over-priced. A beautiful building, however.

We did a hot air balloon ride with Voyager company in a 12 person basket balloon. This was fantastic. As the travel guides say, ‘a trip to this area is not complete unless you do one of these’. Cappadocia is the balloon capital of the world. It was awesome due to the weirdness of the geology coupled with the weirdness being amongst 120 other balloons all just floating together in the air together. The Voyager operation was very slick. A great, fun, skilled and informative pilot (and co-pilot). Efficient ground crew.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Kale Konak is an artfull restoration of 2 dilapidated old buildings
, abutting ancient cave dwellings,inhabited around 2000 years BC. Our room, a large cave with all the modern commodities was beautiful,quiet,the dark of night ensuring a relaxing sleep. It was just off the elegant courtyard. Ensuite bathroom has a shower,no bath,which is fine with us. A functionning heated rack makes drying your washed clothes a cinch. Breakfast is quality with olives, local jams and breads ,eggs, good coffee.

Located at the highest point of Uchisar, directly across from Uchisar castle, with nice views of the surrounding Cappadocian scenery. We were glad to have opted for Uchisar for our visit to Cappadocia. It is a small,quiet village,with a few good restaurants,and no tour buses. All of Cappadocia's towns and sites are all close to one another,so visiting is easy . My wife and I like the peaceful atmosphere rather than the hustle and bustle of larger town.

The best feature, however, is Adbullah, the owner,a kind,friendly man who was generously helpful at every occasion. I will easily recommend the Kale Konak, and Uchisar, to any friend going to Cappadocia

Room Tip: We loved room 5.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PierreT51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uchisar
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia
#13 of 30 in Uchisar
Sakli Konak
Sakli Konak
#2 of 30 in Uchisar

Been to Kale Konak Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!