“A gem in Cappadocia”

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Uchisar
Chicago, IL
“A gem in Cappadocia”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spent three nights here and wished we had booked more time. The accommodations are first class, views and location breath taking, and amazing public spaces and event spaces. Great care, architecturally, to integrate the hotel into the Cappadocia landscape.

They grow their own herbs, flowers and vegetables and are developing their own vineyards and winery. They even sun dry tomatoes and fruit on the premises. We like to absorb local flavor so ate dinners at a great place in the center of the village but I am sure their restaurant is high quality based on the breakfast served.

Special treat to meet Merve Uzel, the general manager, who is a real gem. And also a great staff (one staff member even helped me get my rental car up the steep incline after being forced off the main exit by a big truck!).

1 Thank JohnBoscoChicago_IL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Argos is a beautiful boutique hotel located in Uchisar which is one of the most fascinating villages in Cappadocia. I agree with recent reviews the place itself is stunning. They have succeed in keeping the traditional anatolian houses original desing but adding a modern twist. Rooms are amazing, with a little terrace and they offer great wiews of Dove valley. Suites are delightful and recommended if staying a couple of nights. The hotel is truly boutique and displays great attention to detail and a solid service. Food is also good, they use lots of local products and you can find modern or more traditional in their menu. The restaurant has beautiful views so it is a very romantic setting for breakfast or a romantic dinner. Do not miss the Hotel Tour and walk around Uchisar village and its castle. We highly recommend this hotel for a relax and stylish visit to Cappadocia.

Room Tip: All rooms are beatifully decorated but Suites are truly amazing
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Incredibly suave hotel. Actually, it's a collection of bungalows or small houses connected by steps on the side of a hill. Nothing has been left to chance, and there are beautiful flowers or arrangements of artifacts everywhere you look. Hard to explain - you have to see it to understand - but parts of the rooms are carved out of the mountainside.

Room Tip: Be advised, if you aren't nimble you should request a room on one of the lower levels.
2 Thank will279
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel and surrounds are amazingly beautiful. This was by far the nicest hotel we stayed at in Turkey and unlike others, is actually a boutique hotel. I find the word "boutique" has been adopted rather loosely elsewhere...

Solid breakfast, good service and a relaxing stay. Tour the hotel grounds with Merve if you can - it's really quite amazing to see the cellar and music space.
There was a slight hiccup upon checkout - the staff member on hand didn't understand that our travel agent had gifted us a credit and had added it as a charge. We got it sorted in the end.

The dinner was just ok - my husbands main was much better than mine. It was the only kebap on the menu and I would recommend it over other selections. I wished they had more Turkish food on offer as the more modern dishes on offer fell a little flat, particularly given the price.
There are some excellent regional wines on offer.

All in all, a fantastic stay.

2 Thank milkshakemonkey
thousand oaks, calif
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have been lusting after Cappodocia for 25 years or so - ever since I first heard about it. I must say it was one of the most extraordinarily beautiful places I've ever been - and Argos is simply stunning. The attention to detail is 6-star (notice the coasters for the glasses in the bathroom). Gardens, terraces, antique implements as decor - beautiful! Merve is a gracious hostess and seemed to be everywhere (unlike so many hotel managers who hide in their back office). My advice: stay one more night than you'd planned - just to enjoy the property, explore the neighborhood and soak the beauty into your bones! (Just up the street from the hotel, there's a young girl selling her father's sculptures of cave houses...)

Room Tip: Didn't stay in one, but the specialty suites have in-room swimming pools. I'd say that any...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marilyn M
california
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My mom and I stayed here as part of a small 5 person tour group. We were here for 4 nights and feel the overall experience was disappointing. Supposedly this hotel is 4 stars, but it lacks the polish that a 4 star hotel should have.

As some other folks have pointed out, the beds are ROCK hard. It feels like a box spring, not a mattress. I am a consultant, so I travel consistently and have stayed in my fair share of beds, and this is one of the worst. If you have back problems, don't stay here. If you don't have back problems, be warned, if you are like me, you wake up stiff and in pain.

I would not recommend staying in rooms 3109, or 3108, ( from experience). There is no air circulation at all. In these rooms there was 1 window, no fans, and no a/c. They tried to tell us that the 'cave rooms' stay consistently cool. These rooms were Not the case. The room was ten degrees hotter consistently and did not cool down at night. Another couple traveling on the same tour, spending the same amount on the room had a significantly nicer room, that had a view and had an overheard fan, and a nice balcony. Additionally, our room was next to the garbage, so every night the garbage gets picked up very loudly. All these things makes it very hard to sleep.

In retrospect, my mom and I should have asked for a different room, but we didn't. I am certain that because we were two women, they put us there and hoped we didn't say anything. Unfortunately they were right.

So to sum it up, this resort was not a 4 star. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

***the hotel bar has a very nice view; the bar staff was nice, but slow. The dinner and breakfast service was also nice. The review above is primarily for the hotel.

Room Tip: Not 3109 or 3108
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank cdrennan
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Location: The hotel is perched on the eastern side of Uchisar and overlooks Pigeon Valley and the town of Goreme. I highly recommend staying in Uchisar just based on the amazing views. We were able to watch the hot air balloons rise at dawn from their take off points down in Goreme. You can also see Ergiciyes Dagi, the volcano that formed the Cappadocian landscape on the horizon. The hotel is also a quick walk up the town's staircases to the Uchisar Castle which is a perfect spot to watch the sunset over the valley to the west. There are a couple of other luxury hotels within 1-2 "blocks" where you can have drinks and/or dinners.

Rooms: The cave room we stayed in was spacious, although a bit dark (but what else would you expect?). The bathroom was huge, and they provided robes and slippers. Also had luxury bath products. We also received a plate of fruit upon arrival in our room. We were able to access wifi in our rooms as well as the common areas. Bed was very comfy and had a soft down comforter - good for nights in caves that cool down.

Service: hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Merve (I believe she is the hotel manager) helped us arrange a rental car upon arrival at Nevsehir airport which we picked up with no problems. She also takes guests on tours of the hotel property which is has a lot of history and is expanding (the hotel has its own vegetable garden, a 17,000 bottle cave cellar, and a historic monastery) - make sure to ask her for a tour! We had a well-rounded breakfast is served on the restaurant patio which of course has views.

I also left a ring in the room and Merve mailed it to my hotel in Istanbul for me. Extra points for that! I would highly recommend this hotel.

2 Thank TravelingSap
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uchisar
Museum Hotel
#5 of 30 in Uchisar
Sakli Konak
Sakli Konak
#2 of 30 in Uchisar

Been to Argos in Cappadocia? Share your experiences!