“Absolutely wonderful”

Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Uchisar
Los Angeles
“Absolutely wonderful”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Pros:
* Friendly staff
* Beautiful setting
* Immaculate rooms
* Lovely decorations
* Charming location

Cons:
None

I would stay at Argos in Cappadocia again in a heartbeat, and have no hesitation about recommending this hotel to anyone. It's a full-service luxury hotel in the middle of a quiet, charming village in Cappadocia.

The rooms are scattered in clusters of 2-3 rooms to a building across a hillside overlooking beautiful Cappadocia. Our room had a lovely balcony from which we could sit and watch the hot air balloons float by in the morning. Each room is decorated beautifully with wood & stone floors, stone walls, Turkish rugs and real antiques.

Initially, I was a little concerned that there is no TV in the room, any room. This is a deliberate choice by the hotel, and after staying there, I have to say, it was a good call. It allows you to focus on the beauty of your surroundings, the lovely feel of your room and to truly relax. You feel as if you've finally arrived at a destination where you don't want to be distracted from being exactly where you are.

The hotel restaurant has a wonderful menu and the restaurant staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating. At the point we arrived in the Hotel, my son was suffering from traveler's stomach and couldn't eat just anything. The restaurant staff were incredibly helpful in working with us to go over the menu and put together a meal that would work for him. A couple days of pampering like that, and he was good as gold and ready for more.

The hotel is still under construction (not that you would notice), with more wonderful rooms to come. I look forward to returning one day to see how it's continued to develop.

Room Tip: If you're looking to spend a little extra for an amazing experience, ask for one of the cave roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Fantastic trip full of history, culture and relaxation. The cave room was as wonderful and unique as any room we have ever stayed; the staff was perfectly helpful in every way. So many of the staff to thank - we were treated so nicely by everyone. Thank you Merve, and all the very friendly Turkish people who made this trip great!

Room Tip: Traveling in the hotter months, suggest you stay in a cave room. Fantastic experience, rooms outsid...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JTP812
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was the first hotel my wife and I stayed at during our 10 day visit in Turkey. We stayed there for 2 nights, so two partial days and one full day in Cappadocia.

This hotel experience exceeded previous hotel experiences in the US and abroad. Also, the natural area and history in Cappadocia are amazing, though I don't play that into this review or the rating. Rather, my review and rating focus on the elements roughly within any hotel's control: accommodations (the room + public areas), restaurants in the surrounding area and especially Argos' restaurant, and the hotel's service.

Accommodations. The housing style is an interesting blend of the area's classic architecture with modern considerations and style.Our room had a terrace that overlooked a small street and had an amazing view (our room ran about 375TL/night, about $200USD). Our room was one of their "Stone Rooms", which is the baseline type of room you can get at this hotel. The room had hardwood floors, a very comfortable queen bed, a fire place with provided firewood (won't want to use this in the summer!), an excellent bathroom/shower, and a terrace (the terrace was probably a bonus since it sounds like all the Stone Rooms vary in size and amenities). For those who wonder, there was no TV, though we saw this as a good thing. It stayed pleasant to stay in the room during the day despite the high daytime temps, and the room was also a nice sleeping temperature at night. But I want to return to the terrace, which was a great bonus. From jet lag, I actually woke up in the middle of the first night in our hotel and went out to the terrace for an hour of work on my laptop from 130a-230a. It was a bit cool, but I was warm enough for awhile in a T-shirt, and it was incredibly pleasant (this was in mid-July). Perhaps you can request room 3102 if you want to guarantee the terrace.

Food. We had dinner at Argos one evening and breakfast there both mornings of our stay. My wife and I are both vegetarians, and Argos offers a few pasta options that are quite affordable for dinner. Both dishes we got were good to very good. The breakfasts were excellent and topped any free breakfast a hotel provides in the US, at least for hotels where we've stayed. We had all of our meals on their outdoor patio, which overlooked Pigeon Valley for an amazing view. Lastly, I want to note that the service at Argos was the top tier we have had at any restaurant. One other restaurant in the area, recommended to us by the hotel's concierge (Merve), is the Center Cafe. We went there for lunch; the food was very good and the service was better than average for other restaurants we visited in Turkey. The last (second) evening during our stay we ate at a different nearby restaurant called Elai, which we found to be below average in food, about average in service, and above average in price.

Service. Even before our arrival, the Argos staff were incredibly helpful over email. They helped arrange an excellent and very affordable shuttle from the airport, and they provided excellent assistance in arranging tours. Our visit to Cappadocia and Argos ended up being delayed one day by our outgoing US flight to Istanbul. We were able to correspond a little with the Argos staff over email and a couple phone calls during what was an incredibly stressful time as we rebooked our flight from Istanbul to Cappadocia, and the staff arranged a new shuttle on short notice for the following day. Upon arrival, after over 35 hours of traveling within a 48 hour window, we were greeted by Argos.

History. During the evening of our second day (the full day) at Argos, we were given a tour of the hotel by Merve. If given the opportunity to take this tour, do so. So much of the land in this area includes ancient dwellings that have been either partially or fully buried, and Argos' property is no exception. A hotel in this position typically chooses one of two options: plow over the history, or excavate it as historical and basically use it for show and tell. Argos took a third path, which was to excavate and actually put these places to use through modernization. Keep in mind that while the dwellings are somewhat historical (at least to an American eye), they are so common in this area that Argos' modernization seemed like a perfect balance between preservation and practicality, and they did it really well. There was a larger room that is used for events, a longer tunnel that Argos has excavated up to their property line (no obvious purpose, at least yet), and then many other rooms that have been converted to what is an incredible wine cellar (the word "cellar" doesn't do it justice).

If we make it back to Cappadocia, we will certainly return to Argos for our stay.

P.S. If you are visiting the area, do take tours or get a guide... they really add a lot of value to the sight-seeing.

Room Tip: Room 3102 has a very pleasant terrace.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidDiez
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hi!
I stayed at the hotel and the experience was incredible..
We got and up grade when we arrived, the place is beautiful, has the best views..actually watching the balloons at the hotel was even better that being in the balloon.
Merve the Manager, is the swettiest , show us the property and gave us a great tour, there's a beautiful wine cellar, a real monastery and the gardens so unique..
The style and decortation of the hotel is great too!
If you are planning going to Cappadocia you should stayed in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The landscape of Cappadocia is extraordinary with cone-like rock formations that historically used as houses. Our stay was complete with the stay at Argos. From the warm welcoming of the General Manager, the delicious Turkish breakfast on their cafe overlooking the immense view of Cappadocia valley, to the cave room we stayed in - everything was just fabulous. There was so much attention to details in every corner of the hotel facilities and the rooms.
The place is certainly highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 28, 2012

If you plan on visiting Cappadocia (which I urge you to do!) in my mind Argos in Cappadocia is the only place to stay. It exceeded our expectations in every way. We were visiting Turkey on our honeymoon and chose Argos after seeing great reviews on Trip Advisor. We really didn’t know what to expect when we got off the plane, from the hotel or Cappadocia for that matter…….would it live up to the breathtaking photos I had seen on Pintrest? As soon as we collected our luggage there was someone waiting with our name to take us to Argos…..well that was easy! As we drove out, it was dark and hard to see, I started to worry, everything seemed really flat and I didn’t see any fairy chimneys. After drifting off to sleep I woke as we drove down a small road, and looking off the side all I could see was a huge cliff with caves all around us—it was amazing. A minute later we reached the hotel….I couldn’t believe that this was the location, it was stunning, even at night. They showed us to our beautiful room, in fact they had upgraded us to a deluxe room from a standard. It was cave chic and the shower was to die for. We freshened up quickly and walked down to the hotel restaurant for a late dinner. Merve, the guest relations manager was there and greeted us by name, saying : “We have been waiting for you and are so excited you are here.” We were so impressed, and enjoyed an amazingly tasty first meal. The restaurant and main lounge area is a special mix of rustic ancient history, and modern luxury. Whoever dreamed this place up was right on to modernize the buildings while keeping much of the original history intact. The next day after the BEST breakfast we had in all of Turkey, Merve helped us create an itinerary for the next couple of days…..we got a tour of the incredible hotel (Monestary, wine cellar, underground tunnel, pool suites, cave castle) it had so much history all on it’s own. Then we had a great hike to the neighboring town for a visit to the Hammam and a delicious dinner. The history of Cappadocia was unlike anything I had ever seen. Merve also set us up for a tour the next day after our hot air balloon ride. During breakfast the next morning I was feeling FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) on the pool suites, which were totally out of our price range. But this was our honeymoon, a once in a lifetime trip, right? So I decided to ask Merve how much extra it would be to upgrade and move to a pool suite, to surprise my husband. She said she would look into it for me and get back to me in a few minutes. When we got back to the room she called and said that they wanted to upgrade us to the pool suite as a wedding present from the hotel! Can you imagine? I had to contain my excitement on the phone so my husband wouldn’t suspect a thing. While we went on our tour for the day and learned even more about this incredible area of Turkey, they staff moved all of our things for us into the pool suite. When we came back my husband was squealing like a little kid when he realized where we would be staying for our last night. It was the best surprise EVER! Thank you Merve and Argos! We enjoyed a romantic evening having dinner and a nice bottle of wine at the restaurant which never disappointed us. This was by far our favorite stop in Turkey and one of the best hotels we have stayed in around the world. I will always remember the time we spent in Cappadocia on our honeymoon, in great part because of the amazing staff at Argos. There are not a lot of places I would travel back to, because there is so much of the world to see, but I would love to go back to Argos. It felt like family, and it was such a joy to get to know the staff. We miss you!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Abbie H
Saida
Reviewed June 10, 2012

A extraordinary place that matches the region in its uniqueness.
A quiet retreat with an amazing view as if you were suspended over the top of the mountains.
The hotel architecture is beautiful. The room very spacious, beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean.
The staff are very friendly & helpful. The hotel arranged a day tour for us to the underground cities and a hike - which was a totally experience.
The hotel restaurant offers a varried inventive menu. (amazing baklava desert). Don't miss either dinner nor breakfast there!
And don't skip the hotair balloon trip..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lesZant
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uchisar
Museum Hotel
Divan Cave House
Divan Cave House
#10 of 69 in Goreme
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,015 reviews

Been to Argos in Cappadocia? Share your experiences!