“Magical experience in Cappadocia”
Review of Sultan Cave Suites

Sultan Cave Suites
Ranked #11 of 69 Hotels in Goreme
Singapore, Singapore
“Magical experience in Cappadocia”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

When I entered our Sultan Cave Suite, I couldn't wait to soak up in the suite. I loved the ambience and the toilet was very spacious. Only drawback was the location which was further up the slope. I guess it's a trade-off as it means that we have an excellent view of Cappadocia. The journey down the slope in the evenings (during winter) and night might be a little dark so you might want to arm yourself with a torchlight or a torch app on your BlackBerry/iPhone/etc.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My traveling companion was the one who wanted to visit Cappadocia (pronounced as "Ka-pa-dok-ya) after Istanbul. I just simply tagged along. But I was the one who made all the travel and sightseeing arrangements in Cappadocia. The travel agent in Cappadocia made the hotel reservation for us. And I clearly remembered asking for a good hotel in Cappadocia and apparently this is one of the better ones.
After my lousy hotel experience in Istanbul, I was expecting the worst in Cappadocia. But when I reached there, the hotel was not that bad!
Check in was very informal. Handed over passports to staff, decided who is sleeping with who and we were shown to our rooms. I had one of the better rooms so it was on the top most terrace and nearest to the hotel desk and entrance of the hotel and carpark.
And they got free wifi! Great!
The room is very spacious and I think you can easily put 3 extra single beds inside and still have enough space to walk around.
The bathroom is also quite big with a shower and a bathtub that looks like a Turkish bathtub (I think). Toiletries were not impressive (which is expected) but not a concern since I brought my own stash for the 4 weeks long holiday.
The bed was ok. Definitely not high thread count sheets.
But I think the unique experience of the hotel is the hotel room in a cave kind of concept. Which I believe a lot of the other hotels in this area are like that.
Breakfast was adequate (better than the Venice hotel I stayed at) and the staff are quite attentive. And dinner in the restaurant was also quite an experience. The setting is quite old school and homely. You can choose to sit in the open terrace or inside and we did both. The inside was decorated like a living hall of a someone's home.
When I go to some chain restaurants at home, the food are pre-cooked at a central kitchen at the factory and then heated when ordered by customers in the restaurant. But at Cappadocia, you get the feeling that the food is cooked from scratch. You got to wait for the food and while waiting for the food, you can have a drink at the table and have a conversation with your dining companions. No rushing for time. Just simply enjoying the moment.
The restaurant enjoys a good dinner crowd so you get a very jaunty atmosphere. And you are served Cappadocian cuisine and it would appears to me that this restaurant is like one of the more happening restaurant in town!
Beautiful light at sunset also meant that you get to take beautiful pictures before dinner.
Cons of the hotel for me is that because of our room's close proximity to the lobby and restaurant, you can hear the noise of the dinner crowd at the restaurant when you go to bed early. Which we did becos we were quite tired from the daily treks and walking in Cappadocia.
And the bathroom is dimly lit. Because of the cave concept of the room, natural light does not get into the bathroom and the lights in the bathroom is simply not enough to light up the place. I don't like bathing in dim lit conditions!
And the place is kinda dusty. But I guess Cappadocia is a dusty place after all and the hotel is so "natural" that I guess extensive cleaning is just not possible. And maybe the dust adds to the authenticity of the whole experience!
Because of the terraced layout of the hotel compound, my traveling companion's room was located quite a far way off. And you better have good knees for climbing up and down the steps. The steps are constructed in a way that feels like it was cut out from big slabs of stones so it can be very uneven so have to be careful. Even for me, I can miscalculate the height of the next step and I can trip. And I am actually a physically fit person so the elderly and the young have to be careful.
Turkey is a Muslim country so you hear the call to prayer 5 times a day. Last one at 11pm and the first one at 5am. I told my friends when I came back that I am a Buddhist/Taoist (but not a very religious one) who visited many churches in a Muslim country. And it was the first time I stepped into a mosque. It was a "conflicting" period for me. Of course, it was spoken in jest. But it goes to show that we have to be more religiously more tolerant.
Lastly, we had a full day tour before departing Cappadocia and the great thing was that there was a common shower that we can use before flying taking the long flight home. It was clean and it was bright! I had a good shower to wash off all the dust from the day tour.
My traveling companions didn't manage to have a shower but they had a shower in Turkish Airlines Business Class lounge. But the Turkish Airlines people were really quite impossible. They treat you like pests imposing on their shower facilities. What lousy attitude. Fly Emirates! They literally roll out the red carpet for you!
Anyway, do come stay at the hotel if you are coming to Cappadocia.

Room Tip: Pay more for a better room to get a better view with your own balcony so you can catch hot air ballo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mulder-Sing
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2012

It is a great hotel. You really feel the experience of being in Cappadocia (Kapadokia) and living in a cave, but in a more comfortable way. The hotel is beautifully decorated!, it has different levels, with many terraces, a great view of all the area. Great service, The breakfast it is included and it is very good. It has a restaurant with delicious food. I recommend to try the white wine, which is from the area. Very good! They also have a Turkish Bath, it is a unique and fantastic experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were totally blown away by the quality of the service, the food and the atmosphere at this magical hotel. The views and perspectives from the terraces (with a variety of seating choices from couches to tables) of the hotel made for perfect breakfasts and before and after dinner drinks. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable and whenever you need anything, the staff is there to help. The rooms are warm so keeping windows open is essential (beware of visiting cats) Extra linens were in the closet and a safe in the office if needed. I forgot my toothbrush and was given one free of charge (a first for me!!!). Our room included a fabulous shower for after hikes, a TV and free wifi. You just need to ask for the code. The breakfast was fantastic!!!! Hot and cold, sweet and savory and made to order eggs. You can get everything you want from this full service hotel. They are part of the best travel agency in town, Heritage, organising wonderful day tours including good lunches and no shopping pressure at all. They can also get you a horseback ride tour with the best ranch in town, Daltan Brothers. The horses are well kept and healthy and the guides are friendly and helpful. Also part of the Sultan family is Butterfly Balloons for your hot air balloon experience. They have the best pilots in the valley who tell funny stories and point out the attractions and if you are in need of a swim, a hammam and massage, go to the sister hotel Kelebek for great service (just be prepared for a co-ed experience). By the way, their restaurant, Seten Anatolian Cuisine, has got to be the best in the valley. Thanks for the great experience. We will be back!

Room Tip: Cave rooms are a unique experience but don't forget they are caves. If you want a normal room th...
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were very impressed with our stay at the Sultan Cave Suites. We had experienced other hotels in Goreme, but this one will be a repeat booking soon! Super clean, great views of the town and the staff have made this one of my favorite places I have ever stayed at. From the towel warmers, to the lavender satchel in the bathroom, to the very good and free WiFi connection in the rooms and common areas, everything was perfect.

Dublin
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Not cheap but an excellent hotel.

If hotel could supply a better map of Red / Rose valleys that would be a real plus, but get the feeling they want to promote the official tours instead.

Breakfast, Staff, WiFi all good and free soft drinks in the minibar was a bonus.

Negatives : Shower water temperature & pressure not 4*

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hotel_Rooms_R_2_Warm
Chicago
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Simply put, I’m at a loss of words to describe my stay at Sultan’s Cave Suites. The entire experience was magical: the welcoming staff, the food, wine and the charming accommodations. AMAZING. It was an unmatched experience. I’ve had the good fortune to travel to all seven continents and stay at many incredible hotels. However, no hotel has ever prompted me to write a review. The kindness the staff demonstrated was extraordinary. Unfortunately, I took a bad fall while hiking in the Rose Valley and hurt my knee. After my incident, I spent the day at the hotel soaking up the beautiful surroundings, under the watchful eye of Mehmet and Mustafa & staff. They carefully monitored my pain and gently coaxed me to go to the ER with their assistance. They guided me through a very scary and emotional experience. For that, I’m forever grateful and officially declare Sultan’s Cave as my favorite hotel in the world!

Room Tip: We were very pleased with the room we landed in!