“Lovely Location, Great Hosts”
Review of Sultan Cave Suites

Sultan Cave Suites
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Goreme
Brisbane
“Lovely Location, Great Hosts”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My adult daughter and I stayed in the Sultan Cave Suites for one night only but it was a memorable night. We were greeted with a complimentary drink on arrival and given advice such as to where to watch the sun set etc. After we arrived back from the whirling dervishes, they greeted us to ensure we had enjoyed the experience. Our cave room was an experience in itself and we had a beautiful view from the balcony outside our room from which we watched the magnificent array of hot air balloons early the next morning. Breakfast was also enjoyable and our table had a great view over the valley. They stored our luggage for us on our day of departure as we had a full day tour that day. Then they drove us to the bus station in the evening to take the bus to Pamukkale.
We had a great stay at Cappadocia but the enjoyment was definitely enhanced by the wonderful staff of Sultan Cave Suites.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Trisha48

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Just returned from an amazing trip to Turkey and one of the highlights was Cappadocia and our 4 nights stay at Sultan Cave Suites. We arrived well before check-in and our cave room / junior suite was ready. To those who said the rooms are dark or clammy - it is a cave! but a luxury one at that - large stone shower with great water pressure, aromatic soaps, comfortable large bed, rustic, ample space - it was just as we expected from a cave hotel.

Mehmet & Mustafa seemed to be available for questions and recommendations almost 24/7. They didn't push any excursions on us at all. We even ran into Mustafa at Fat Boys bar one night and he gave us a ton of insight into the Cappadocia area (where he grew up). We had already booked Butterfly in advance based on their reputation and were extremely pleased with that experience as well (will leve a separate review).

The free buffet breakfast was satisfying - a ton of dried fruits & yogurt was my staple, and breads/pastries were abundant. We ate at the restaurant twice (Seten) and loved it both times. I made friends with the brick oven chef who cooks kabobs fresh to order. The kabobs were ginormous. You must get the mezze sampler platter - 9 different appetizers/dips. one day we ate that just for lunch.

LOCATION of Sultan is perfect - just far enough from everything but easy to get to and walk to town, which we did every day. It's high on a hill so an amazing view especially when the hot air balloons are floating early in the morning. Goreme itself served as a wonderful home base for our Cappadocia, especially after exploring Urgup and Uchisar. We had a rental car since we were there for 4 days and drove all over the region without any organized tours.

Overall, we would absolutely stay at Sultan Cave Suites again and highly recommend it!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington D.C., USA
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel in March 2011. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice this hotel was considering our room was in a cave! Our room was clean, modern and warm. Our particular room only had a small window but I suppose we couldn't expect much more given it was a cave. Mehmet the manager was very welcoming and he set us up with a tour of the area as well as a hot air balloon ride. I know the hot air balloons rides in Goreme are expensive but I would definitely recommend taking one. The views are absolutely breathtaking. The breakfast at Sultan Cave Suites was delicious. Mehmet assured us Sultan Cave Suites has the best breakfast in Turkey and after traveling extensively through the country, I have to agree. We did go to the hammam at the Kelebek, which is just a few steps away, and it is more of a tourist hammam. It is not a real Hammam that locals would go to but it is still decent if you want a massage. Just plan on paying a lot more than you would in a traditional hammam. Other than that, everything was great and I would definitely recommend Sultan Cave Suites to my friends.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jetsetter_Girl
Siena, Italy
Reviewed September 25, 2011

The hotel is very nice, as the view and service.
They will arrange all kind of facilities.
The restaurant was disapointing, with average food and asseptic service.
The hamam was nice, but overpriced and not that traditional.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Totally disappointed with this hotel. Don't believe the hype from other reviews! We got to the Sultan Cave suites late in the evening after a really long flight and just as I was taking a shower the water cut off for hours! I was left half naked ın a cold humid room! The room was OK but not worth the price compared to what is available in Cappadocia as I found out on previous trips. No modern amenities and very dusty. The manager Memett seems more interested in getting people to book balloon rides and extra tours than helping our group. He seemed spaced out and going through the motions with a constant fake smile. My sister thought he was slimy with her and he was creeping her out every time she came back to reception alone. We asked for some directions for transportation and he sent us to an office that has been closed for months... A complete waste of time.
You can use the pool from the next hotel but it is tiny and very dirty/cloudy. Rooms are also dusty and humid although the view from the terraces is good. This hotel needs to understand that words are not enough to please travellers and they need to upgrade their rooms and service. The hard sell on everything just turned us off: every single morning this guy tried to sell us stuff over and over again. This hotel would be hell in the summer and winter because the steps are hard to manage and everywhere is dark. Bring your own flashlight and don't expect more than a second rate room and you'll be OK.

Room Tip: Not good for older people
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
25 Thank Julian G
Hasan-Kabalci, Public Relations Manager at Sultan Cave Suites, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We do accept the fact that cave accommodations might not fit every guests expectations, and when we have availability and other options, we do offer our guests the chance to change rooms, but we highly object the other accusations taking place in this review.

We suspect the authenticity of this review as Mehmet would never treat guests as accused. He is a reputable business owner with over 20 years running his business in Goreme.

Our business is not to sell stuff to our guests as we know that we are a hotel in the first place. Please read hundreds of other positive reviews and see that it is not our business understanding to push sales of any services. We are part of a very reputable business group (consisting of Butterfly Balloons, Turkish Heritage Travel, etc.) and we try our best to keep our standards high in the whole of this group. We mention to our guests of this affiliation and help them connect only if guests are interested in doing so. The accusations in this review do not state the reality.

The swimming-pool at our sister hotel is the best we can have in a cave hotel with limited area to build a pool and still preserve the beauty and nature around us. Of course if it was possible to make a bigger pool, we would have done that considering our guests' best interests; as we do at all times. The cleaning of the pool is also done regularly.

As for complaint on rooms being humid, it is not possible as Cappadocia has a very dry semi-arid climate. The cave rooms might have dust (as they are caves), but are dusted regularly.

We hope our response will encourage our prospective guests reading this review to contact us and give us the chance to host them so that we can prove to them that these comments are not valid for Sultan Cave Suites at any given day.

Kind regards to all,

Sultan Cave Suites Management.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was traveling through Cappadocia alone and wanted to ensure that I felt safe especially since i was a single woman. Heritage travel helped set up everything from when I got to the airport in Kayseri to when I was dropped off at the bus station. I arrived at Sultan Cave Suites at 11pm exhausted and sleepy. Instead of having to deal with a lengthy check in procedure I was whisked to my room and told that everything would be taken care of in the morning and to get some rest. I have very little to complain about. The breakfast was amazing, the room was always cleaned properly, and the staff was always helpful in directing me in the right direction. I used their services to the fullest including a balloon ride, dinner at the restaurant and a spa treatment at the sister hotel Kelebek. The restaurant was very good especially for the cost (i got the huge lamb kebab meal). The only issues I had were that it was a little awkward getting to bed (rm 306) bc the bed was on another level and i have short legs so the climb over the rock ledge caused me to get scratches all over my legs. The room was extremely dark even with all the lights on. I tried to write in a journal and ended up using a flashlight i bought with me. The spa was quite noisy and random drunk people were walking through the area while i was half naked on the marble slab. But I would recommend Sultan Cave suites fully.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We have been in Turkey for 3 weeks and this is the first time we feel like we are getting the best of the best.
The hotel is a great value at 80 euros for most of the rooms and the access to the Kelebek spa and the restaurant at the Sutlan Cave hotel, elevate the entire stay.
Mehmet and Mustafa (owner and asst manager) are excellent hosts and will ensure that whatever your length of stay, you will get the most out of it. Whenever we went against their recommendation it cost us extra money or we were disappointed or both. Let them organize everything, they have a gift for it and aren't shy to pull out their phone whenever you make a request and organize it immediately, no fuss. I love hospitality people that never say "no" and the entire stay here only understands "yes", it is a pleasure from start to finish.

• Stayed September 2011