“Mediocre...”

Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Goreme
Amsterdam
“Mediocre...”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Totally disappointed with this hotel. Don't believe the hype from other reviews! We got to the Sultan Cave suites late in the evening after a really long flight and just as I was taking a shower the water cut off for hours! I was left half naked ın a cold humid room! The room was OK but not worth the price compared to what is available in Cappadocia as I found out on previous trips. No modern amenities and very dusty. The manager Memett seems more interested in getting people to book balloon rides and extra tours than helping our group. He seemed spaced out and going through the motions with a constant fake smile. My sister thought he was slimy with her and he was creeping her out every time she came back to reception alone. We asked for some directions for transportation and he sent us to an office that has been closed for months... A complete waste of time.
You can use the pool from the next hotel but it is tiny and very dirty/cloudy. Rooms are also dusty and humid although the view from the terraces is good. This hotel needs to understand that words are not enough to please travellers and they need to upgrade their rooms and service. The hard sell on everything just turned us off: every single morning this guy tried to sell us stuff over and over again. This hotel would be hell in the summer and winter because the steps are hard to manage and everywhere is dark. Bring your own flashlight and don't expect more than a second rate room and you'll be OK.

Room Tip: Not good for older people
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
25 Thank Julian G
Hasan-Kabalci, Public Relations Manager at Sultan Cave Suites, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We do accept the fact that cave accommodations might not fit every guests expectations, and when we have availability and other options, we do offer our guests the chance to change rooms, but we highly object the other accusations taking place in this review.

We suspect the authenticity of this review as Mehmet would never treat guests as accused. He is a reputable business owner with over 20 years running his business in Goreme.

Our business is not to sell stuff to our guests as we know that we are a hotel in the first place. Please read hundreds of other positive reviews and see that it is not our business understanding to push sales of any services. We are part of a very reputable business group (consisting of Butterfly Balloons, Turkish Heritage Travel, etc.) and we try our best to keep our standards high in the whole of this group. We mention to our guests of this affiliation and help them connect only if guests are interested in doing so. The accusations in this review do not state the reality.

The swimming-pool at our sister hotel is the best we can have in a cave hotel with limited area to build a pool and still preserve the beauty and nature around us. Of course if it was possible to make a bigger pool, we would have done that considering our guests' best interests; as we do at all times. The cleaning of the pool is also done regularly.

As for complaint on rooms being humid, it is not possible as Cappadocia has a very dry semi-arid climate. The cave rooms might have dust (as they are caves), but are dusted regularly.

We hope our response will encourage our prospective guests reading this review to contact us and give us the chance to host them so that we can prove to them that these comments are not valid for Sultan Cave Suites at any given day.

Kind regards to all,

Sultan Cave Suites Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was traveling through Cappadocia alone and wanted to ensure that I felt safe especially since i was a single woman. Heritage travel helped set up everything from when I got to the airport in Kayseri to when I was dropped off at the bus station. I arrived at Sultan Cave Suites at 11pm exhausted and sleepy. Instead of having to deal with a lengthy check in procedure I was whisked to my room and told that everything would be taken care of in the morning and to get some rest. I have very little to complain about. The breakfast was amazing, the room was always cleaned properly, and the staff was always helpful in directing me in the right direction. I used their services to the fullest including a balloon ride, dinner at the restaurant and a spa treatment at the sister hotel Kelebek. The restaurant was very good especially for the cost (i got the huge lamb kebab meal). The only issues I had were that it was a little awkward getting to bed (rm 306) bc the bed was on another level and i have short legs so the climb over the rock ledge caused me to get scratches all over my legs. The room was extremely dark even with all the lights on. I tried to write in a journal and ended up using a flashlight i bought with me. The spa was quite noisy and random drunk people were walking through the area while i was half naked on the marble slab. But I would recommend Sultan Cave suites fully.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We have been in Turkey for 3 weeks and this is the first time we feel like we are getting the best of the best.
The hotel is a great value at 80 euros for most of the rooms and the access to the Kelebek spa and the restaurant at the Sutlan Cave hotel, elevate the entire stay.
Mehmet and Mustafa (owner and asst manager) are excellent hosts and will ensure that whatever your length of stay, you will get the most out of it. Whenever we went against their recommendation it cost us extra money or we were disappointed or both. Let them organize everything, they have a gift for it and aren't shy to pull out their phone whenever you make a request and organize it immediately, no fuss. I love hospitality people that never say "no" and the entire stay here only understands "yes", it is a pleasure from start to finish.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank CC77Canada
Sydney
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Sultan Cave Suites is a really nice hotel with authentic rooms and great service in a great location. Views from the terrace offer you a view of Goreme village, you can see hot air balloons while having a breakfast.
Buffet breakfast itself is of top quality with a lot of choices. My biggest problem during breakfast time was "what do I eat today as it all looks so good". Trying every single item would result in stuffing myself silly.
The hotel has a restaurant, which we found really good. The service and the food were of top quality and the price for a dinner for 3 was 115 TL (mixed meza 22TL, 3 mains ranging from 16 to 40 TL, 2 glasses of good local wine, dessert, soft drinks). I think it's more than reasonably priced for the quality.
Our room was spotless. On a first morning we left an explosion of equipment (laptop, phones, charges, flash, etc) all over the bed and when we came back we found our bed made up and all equipment I've left on the bed neatly positioned on a coffee table.

I've seen some people complaining about rooms not being cave rooms. When booking with the hotel you should confirm whether a room is a cave one or not. I've specifically requested a cave one and we got exactly that. Our room 307 was as authentic as one could imagine.
Since the hotel is owned by Heritage Travel, same company that owns nearby Kelebek hotel, you can use Kelebek's swimming pool, we didn't have time so I can't comment on how good it is.
Heritage Travel or the hotel can organise transfers to/from Kayseri and Nevsehir Airports, tours, etc.
We booked it all via Heritage but could've done that via the hotel.
We paid directly to Heritage travel and they offer 10% discount for cash payment.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with booking this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a cave room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sydney_travel000
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Just two nites and a day between was not enough time to enjoy this lovely hotel. Yes, the first impression was that this doesn't seem like a cave, but each room was different and oriented on a different plane, and the topography was vertical--it may indeed have been a built-out set of caves. After that first moment, I never gave it a thought. Everything was comfortable and very spacious; well appointed. Restaurant excellent and breakfast buffet copious in choice and quantity although not one of the great breakfast buffets. Views are fabulous (not a cliche I hand out lightly)!

My impression is that most hotels have ties-in with the various balloon companies. We were steered to Butterfly Balloons. What luck!! One of the major highlights of the trip to Turkey was indeed the early a.m. balloon ride. Captain Mike Green happens to be one of the pioneers of Cappadochia flying and he gave us a special ride, starting way separate from the many other balloons that day, and he seemed to genuinely enjoy what he was able to show us as we went up and down (literally) through the area. Before we did it, I thought we were throwing away a fortune; I soon realized it was an experience of a lifetime. BTW, the attached photo is from my balcony at the Sultan Suites at sunrise of the second day.

All in all Sultan Caves allowed easy entry into the weird and wonderful time-space travel of Cappadochia (if you haven't yet been there, you probably don't yet understand).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tmbrod
Jupiter, FL
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Cave room (Junior Suite) was beautiful, spacious, strikingly decorated in an upscale, rustic style. Nice aromatic soaps in the very attractive, large bathroom. Very nice continental breakfast with an excellent selection. Setting is awesome, overlooking the valley. Easy walk to the charming, small town of Goreme, and then to the open air museum. (Since the walk to town is downhill, the walk back to the hotel is uphill -- a bit invigorating.)

The room, while romantic, was a bit clammy/damp and somewhat dimly lit (it is a Cave, afterall). The restaurant food was so-so. Most of the staff was delightful, but I was annoyed that the owner got testy when we at 10:30 had not checked out yet- he told us checkout was at 10:00, when our booking confirmation clearly stated it was 11:00. Note: No TV in the room if that is important to you, no internet in the room, but easily accessible in common areas.

Room Tip: Given the amazing history of cave dwellings in the area, the cave room seems to enhance the overall...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nikki55
Brazil
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel is nice, good service, and dinner room with a wonderfull view. Manager tips are excellent

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple