“Sato Pansiyon is quaint, but a mixed bag”
Review of Sato Cave Hotel

Sato Cave Hotel
Ranked #56 of 74 Goreme B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Sato Pansiyon is quaint, but a mixed bag”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Last month (Sep 2011), I stayed at Sato Pansiyon in Goreme because it offered a better value than the hotel I stayed at before.
Sato Pansiyon is owned and operated by a young couple. The wife cleans the rooms herself.
The location is all right, a little uphill street off Goreme's main artery, just a 10 minutes walk from the "otogar", but then Goreme is just a small village, nothing is far.
I was offered a triple room (all for myself), with a private bathroom, and more importantly, a lovely view.
The room was quaint, with a high, wood beam ceiling and an unusual door that closed with a wood beam across, and a padlock rather than a keylock.
There was even a hair dryer (which I personally don't need, but this is for your information).
The bedsheets were obviously not changed from the previous occupants, and the room and bathroom appeared to have been cleaned rather superficially, but there was hot water, soap and toilet paper.
The shower faucet was so rusty that its left handle came off the very first time I used it.
Despite that, I spent a quiet night at Sato (also because there were no other guests), and could see the balloons raising among the fairy chimneys from my window in the morning.
What I liked most about Sato was the room (the ceiling. the door). What I disliked most what the cleanliness level.
However, I would recommend Sato for younger people, for the reason that it is a little uphill and it doesn't have all the comforts people of a certain age are accustomed with.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank pulcino3

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
U.A.E.
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The truth about this Hotel is that the location is quite good. After walking about 5 to 6 minutes
you enter the market place where there are lots of good restuarants and small shops and a bus service which I never used.

The Hotel room is dark, damp and cold and so is the toilet, kind of scary at first. But then one just tends to get used to it. There is no night lamp and the lamp is neccessary as it is very dark otherwise in the nights. This place can be great if only they paid a little attention to the cleanliness side of the rooms. The couple working there are wonderful people and very friendly.It is them that make you forget everything else. The rooms are big. The breakfasst is good.

We had no problems with the using of the internet. We had to however go to the office which was ok with us. They were cooperative. The view from the breakfast room is great.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same kind of. Yes if your room has no night lamp then you can buy a torch and kee...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank shamim_uae
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,973 helpful votes
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My two friends and I stayed here for 4 nights, and we loved the "cool factor" of staying in a cave! We had a little trouble finding it due to being there after dark and small signage directing us to the hotel, but once there, the small staff (about 3 people) were extremely helpful and willing to do whatever we needed--offer advice on how to get where we wanted to go, give clean towels, etc. We could see the balloons out our front door each morning. Breakfast is awesome (wide variety, not just the traditional Turkish breakfast!).

Cons: The toilet is in the shower, the room is never really pristine (it is a cave, so just be aware of what that entails), and the Internet doesn't work great inside the rooms. There was also not dresser or storage space, so the three of us had to live out of our bags--which is ok, but I'm a very organized person, and I personally like to have a place for things if I'm staying more than one night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank QuickWhitTravel
Busan, South Korea
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Hotel position is quite good, great view from terrace and breakfast is good, there are 3 option and it's quite good and reasonable
Hotel rooms are crean, but no creaning daily, no towl change unless you request,.
The worst things are it's too dark and toilet small directly intrusion to the room, I think no inhaulation fans in the toilet of our toom.
Hotel orner couple are very good person, they are kind, and good communication, but unfortunally they are not always at the reception, the Turkish manager is not good communication.

Room Tip: I do not recommand this hotel for family
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed July 28, 2011

i stayed here a couple of nights. Room was really clean and natural cave room.from the teras,there was a wonderful viewing!! staff was really helpful and friendly. i had a Nice time at here.THANKS!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AkikoOnishi
nsw
Reviewed July 19, 2011

had a great stay. clean and neat.Ali will help with anything you need.Friendliness plus.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed at Sato for two nights. They were extremely accommodating, allowing us to check in early after the horrible 11 hour bus ride from Istanbul. I stayed in a large cave room, so it was very cool and damp, which took some getting used to. I think it was the sort of experience I'm happy to have done, but don't want to do again. The bathroom was alright, the shower drain was clogged though.
The staff was OK. The owner spoke English very well and was helpful, arranging activities for us and answering all of our questions, but the rest of the staff seemed to only speak Turkish which proved to be a bit of a problem at times. Every time we went to the reception area with questions and it was someone other than the owner working, they had to call him over, so it felt like we were interrupting him.
Breakfast was really good, you ordered off a menu where there was a choice of Turkish breakfast, omelette, eggs or French toast. I only tried the French toast both days, as it was delicious.
Overall it was a great value place to stay, in possibly the best location, however I was not a fan of the cave room, and they needed more multilingual staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Kapadokya Hill Hotel & Spa
#2 of 77 in Goreme
Kapadokya Lodge Hotel
Kapadokya Lodge Hotel
#16 of 30 in Uchisar

Been to Sato Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!