“Homely”
Review of SOS Cave Hotel

SOS Cave Hotel
Ranked #19 of 78 Hotels in Goreme
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed two night. Would stay. Super friendly staff. Nice brekfast with great views.

Hotel arranged pick up and drop off to Kayseri. Well worth it. On arrival the manager came over and gave us a map and asked us what we wanted to do. He presented the tours available and also made suggestions for walks etc. he suggested to take the local bus (every 30mins for 2.50TL each) to Uchisar (amazing views from the castle) and walk the pigeon valley. Nice walk, but see my entry for pigeon valley for a caution.

Nice compact rooms, with plenty of heating... needed it after being caught out on a walk with heavy rain/snow.

Tip: Before sunrise walk across the canal and along the path uphill to the other side of the valley. had a great time watching the ballons inflate and take off, and taking photos just as the sun hit the rock formations. Probably better locations for a sunrise, but did not have time to go too far.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Gatsby_NZ

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I don't have any complain about this hotel. Everything was perfect. My room was cleaned with my own bathroom. I was staying on the 2nd floor. Next to my door is the roof top where I could sit and enjoy the spectakuler scenaries. But, this hotel doesn't provide any food on the dinner time. However, the staffs were so friendly and informative and gave me a direction to find some other nice restaurants not far from the hotel. But, I was not comfortable to walk around in the dark, with the cave stones around me where I could hear the bark of the dogs from the far. Anyway, finally I got the my dinner at the end. The other staff inform me that the next hotel usually provided buffet dinner.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nurul L
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This place was great. The room was pretty basic, but warm in the wintertime (visited in January!) and had everything we needed. Very cozy breakfast/tea room with a beautiful view of fairy chimneys and a nice warm wood stove. The staff were all extremely friendly. Despite arriving at the last minute with no plan and only a day and a half to spend in Cappadocia, one staff member named Volcan spent the time to help us figure out what to do. We didn't have enough time on either day to sign up for a guided tour, so he offered to take us around to see everything and gave us advice on the places he thought we shouldn't miss (despite not being an "official" tour guide!) He also accompanied us to a fantastic local restaurant that was hands down the best food we'd eaten during out 3 weeks in Turkey (Anatolian Kitchen). We not only had an incredible day and a half, but felt like we'd made a new friend, too!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Serenitybolt
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This Hotel offers private and dorm rooms in a wonderfully built-into-a-cave setting. The staff is super nice and the breakfasts are excellent and delicously Turkish. Nothing but good things to say about the confortable and warm rooms. Just a 5 minute walk from the bus station(sic)!

Room Tip: i got the dorm in winter all to myself - he he he
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jeffercin
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Dont judge a book by its cover - what is inside is 5 stars - Very friendly, helpful staff, who take time to ensure you are comfortable. I was very tired, so I retired early. The room was amazing in a 'cave' within 'Mother Earth - Gaia'. I had the best sleep ever, for 14 hours. I was so refreshed and the feeling was wonderful.
Breakfast was tasty and plentiful with a lovely view and created by the family owners. It was winter, so there was a fire in the middle of the room and I could heat the bread in the oven in the fire - great. A must to stay.

Room Tip: Sleep in a cave - its cozy and heavenly.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank MB1506
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had a truly wonderful stay at this hotel. It being off-season, we (a couple) were given an upgrade to the beautiful, well-heated and comfortable “honeymoon” suite, with its jacuzzi and private terrace. The handsome owner, Sinan, was incredibly generous with his time, e.g. personally picking us up from the airport and, later, taking us on a hike through a nearby valley. If guests in a busier season don’t get the benefit of this much personal attention, they should still be able to count on Sinan for excellent recommendations, discounts, and logistical help with local tours and restaurants – and should also be sure to ask for one of his very good omelets. His friendly staff was ever ready to assist, and also kept us supplied with hot tea and warm chestnuts whenever we used the internet connection in the common dining room. We only wished we could have stayed longer than the four nights we were there!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank doctorov
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We arrived early morning in Goreme and no one was there to see us as promised by the tour agent. We walked to SOS Hotel and was quite surprised that they didn't know of our arrival. We could see from their expression that they were not aware, no fault of theirs though as I suspect that the tour agent didn't inform them (our lodging was switched last minute by the agent). We're glad that we ended up at SOS Hotel as the people are warm and friendly. We were offered hot tea (it was so cold) and were given a room to freshened up. That had pacified us and Kemal was there to help us to sort things out. Too bad it's such a short stay. The room was clean, the breakfast spread was nice, the view from the terrace was awesome. What made SOS special is the people. Easily one of the best place we stayed in Turkey.

• Stayed: December 2012