“Spectacular sights but too many passengers”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kapadokya Balloons

Kapadokya Balloons
More attraction details
Owner description: Kapadokya Balloons is celebrating 25 successful year! As the people who pioneered ballooning in Cappadocia, we share your love for adventure. It's that passion, tempered with more than twenty five years of experience flying balloons that has helped us become the best ballooning operator in Turkey. Every flight is a fantastic adventure as we float intimately amongst the fairy chimneys and soar over the magnificent Cappadocian landscape. A flight with Kapadokya Balloons is truly "the experience of a lifetime!"
Useful Information: Activities for older children
United States
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Spectacular sights but too many passengers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had my first hot air balloon flight over Cappadocia with this company. They were professional and I believe the event was well organized and well run. Our pilot has been flying balloons for 30 years. The dawn view over Goreme valley and the fairy chimneys took my breath away. We soared high, we soared low, we saw our shadow on the mountains as the sun rose behind us. My only complaint is that 24 passengers for the basket is too many. You are squeezed in like sardines, not really enough room to even turn around. (This may be helpful to keep people balanced, but it is a very smooth ride, stability was not a problem.) Not everyone gets a spot at the edge of the basket which means if you are in the middle of this knot of people you have a hard time seeing much of anything and you can forget about taking any relevant photos. I was lucky enough to be at the edge of the basket and had an unobstructed view. I leaned sideways as far as I could so someone in the middle could take a photo. I would have been most unhappy if I had paid that amount of money to end up stuck in the middle and would be giving fewer stars on this post.

Visited September 2012

Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A wonderful ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

On the 26th November 2012, the 6th day of our holiday in Turkey, my family and I tried the hot air balloons in Cappadocia. The balloons would give us a scenic tour of Göreme, a beautiful valley shaped into fairy chimneys after years of volcanic erosion.

We arrived at around 7 at an open space near the fairy chimneys. There were many balloons being blown up, and even more already in the air. Later on, I found out that there would be at least 50 balloons flying at the same time.

One basket could hold up to 24 people; 6 people in each corner, and the pilot in the middle. After going through the safety procedures, we began to fly.

I had no experience of flight on a balloon, and had expected the ride to be choppy due to strong winds. However, it was a safe and smooth ride, and not any colder than it would be on land. It was a peaceful and quiet drift through the morning colours despite the occasional blaring of fire in your ear.

The pilot introduced himself as Hüseyin. As we rose higher and higher, Hüseyin would point out certain attractions, such as rock cut churches and even a snow-topped Mt. Erciyes, the highest mountain in Cappadocia. He noted that he had no way to steer the balloon; he could only go higher or lower, and turn the balloon 360 degrees around.

About halfway into the 45 minute tour, we marveled at the sunrise from behind a series of Cappadocian mountains. We eventually reached a maximum height of around 5000 feet before descending slowly on to a trolley, which was towed by a truck back to a less rocky terrain. Hüseyin explained that if the balloon were to land on the ground, it would bump.

After getting off the balloon, the crew prepared hot beverages and cakes. They also set up a makeshift stall selling several souvenirs such as shirts and pins. Finally, they gave out a personalized flying certificate to everyone. I took the opportunity to have my picture taken with Hüseyin, our captain who has had a flying record of over a thousand hours.

In all, this trip has opened my eyes to ballooning and of course, the beauty of Cappadocia.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Azumi5
San Juan, Puerto Rico
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Safe and informative balloon ride - highlight of the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Arranged by Gate 1 as an optional tour. Price was a bit higher than other companies, but from what I have read they have an excellent safety record. Our captain was David, who was very focused on giving us an enjoyable ride while keeping us safe. Balloon glides through the air and is not a bumpy ride at all, so don't be scared. Landing was smooth as well. We were picked up at hotel at the specified time. Staff was very friendly. If you are short it is very easy to get on the basket, but a bit tricky to get out. However, those guys will lift you up in no time (even if you are heavy set, so do not worry! This is a must while visiting the region. The view is spectacular. Definitely one of the highlights of the trip.

Visited November 2012
7 Thank nytoparis
Adelaide, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

we were picked up spot on time at 4.30am, taken to our collection point, free tea, coffee and food was available. There was some delay as it was windy and they weren't sure if they would be flying that day, it was pleasing to know that they were extremely cautious and considering our safety. If the flight had been cancelled they had scheduled us for the next day.
The flight is very special, I am a little wary of heights however did not feel at all scared while in the air.
Overall very professional and also a fun team with a special treat at the end, you have to fly with them to see what this is. We also had champagne and snacks.
It is a "must do" and worth every cent

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Jenny2401
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Magical”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

This well established company makes this magical ride the experience of a life time, the confidence of the staff made me feel safe.

Visited November 2012